The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 08-15-2021, 03:43 PM   #61
Galactus
Foot Elite

I think 'vision' is too generous a word to describe what Platinum Dunes had planned for their previous two TMNT movies.

I'm something of a traditionalist when it comes to TMNT so I prefer them to look and have a story faithful to the original but if someone came along with a really good vision of how to re-imagine the property to make it successful in movie form then I wouldn't turn my nose up at it.

Thing is no one involved in those previous two movies had a vision. They started with the (wrong) idea that this was a new version so they had to reinvent it; they just had no clue what they were reinventing it into hence why we got so many re-writes and re-shoots even before Bay saw the first cut and thought it was garbage.

The only real vision they had I think was visual and the idea they were going to ape large parts of other comic book blockbusters most notably The Amazing Spider-Man and the The Avengers with the sequel. I can sorta understand that...there's been many times I've been watching a movie and thinking 'wow I'd love to see something like that done with the turtles' whether it a particular action scene, tone or even plot. I just don't think PD knew how to emulate a big action blockbuster. Remember these guys had previously only produced low grade horror remakes.

Quote:
I hope it's a sequel to the awesome Bay Platinum Dunes Ninja Turtle movies, we need a third one.
That was a neat way to promote your blog post that the Platinum Dunes movies are good actually but they're really not. Now I do think that when we get these new movies we may actually think they were better in comparison but let's not go crazy and start saying they were good.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 04:38 PM   #62
Leo656
The Franchise

I think trying to make TMNT into a "blockbuster" type of movie in the first place was a huge part of the problem.

Especially for the first one or two movies of a series, something a lot more small-scale and intimate would be better. I know that some people will live and die on the FW TMNT hill and swear up and down that the Turtles are super-heroes, but for one thing, I really don't think that's true MOST of the time, and for another thing, even if they are "technically" super-heroes they simply can't or won't ever be able to compete with the Avengers in the same pop culture space. And I think spending $200 million on a "blockbuster" TMNT movie and needing to pull in about $600 million to be profitable just isn't a very smart strategy on such a niche franchise that's in a bit of a popularity slump.

Sadly, contemporary Hollywood thinking about this type of project tends to be "Go Big or don't bother", or at least it was at the time the two BayTurtles movies were made. They wanted Avengers-style returns so they tried to retrofit TMNT into an Avengers-style template, but we saw how that went. Sadly, Hollywood only seems to take the wrong lesson (or NO lesson) from its misfires, so I can't see much changing for the better on the next attempt.

If anything, they probably figure the last attempt failed because it was "TOO familiar", so they'll probably go even further into "TMNT In Name Only" territory, completely re-writing the origins (again) and all the characters' personalities and dynamics, etc. That seems to be the latest trend in reboots, after all.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 04:47 PM   #63
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Sure they had a "vision" for those films... a snowy mountainside and the Amazon river.

They need to stop trying to write films inside out like that. I get that they want and need some kind of "boss fight" within it, but by starting there they have let focus on that cheapen the rest of the story they build around it, like they didn't really care about the rest of it, it was just stuff made up to get to that one idea they thought was totally epic and believed would carry the whole film. (Heck, Krang wasn't even the boss fight in OotS like he should have been. It was far too brief and he never got to be a legitimate threat to the city so it carried no real weight.)

edit: Come to think of it, both of those films made their high impact scene the lower level boss, so to speak... neither were the big bad, as the Shredder fight wasn't really any more epic than Krang's was. Weird.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 08-15-2021 at 04:52 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 05:15 PM   #64
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Sure they had a "vision" for those films... a snowy mountainside and the Amazon river.

They need to stop trying to write films inside out like that. I get that they want and need some kind of "boss fight" within it, but by starting there they have let focus on that cheapen the rest of the story they build around it, like they didn't really care about the rest of it, it was just stuff made up to get to that one idea they thought was totally epic and believed would carry the whole film. (Heck, Krang wasn't even the boss fight in OotS like he should have been. It was far too brief and he never got to be a legitimate threat to the city so it carried no real weight.)

edit: Come to think of it, both of those films made their high impact scene the lower level boss, so to speak... neither were the big bad, as the Shredder fight wasn't really any more epic than Krang's was. Weird.
The problem is, they HAVE to do things that way in order to get budget approval. They need to have a "proof of concept" to show the producers, and generally-speaking it does make sense to show off the biggest and most expensive set piece and work backwards from there. You're not going to show off a conceptualized scene of two characters in conversation, or whatever, if you're trying to secure hundreds of millions of dollars to get your movie made.

I mean, not EVERY movie gets made that way, but it is in fact how most "blockbuster" movies are made. And while it's lousy from a storytelling perspective, it does make sense from a dollars-and-cents perspective even though it's "backwards". If you watch ANY "big" action movie from the past 10-15 years or so that had a budget of about $200 million, and you look carefully, you can almost always pick out which scene was the one they showed off in the pitch meeting, the one the rest of the movie was built around. They tend to stand out. And without that One Scene to "razzle-dazzle" the investors, your movie simply isn't getting made.

People call it sour grapes, but what Scorsese said about MCU-style "blockbuster" films being "theme park rides" and not "true cinema" is entirely on-point. When you're making a "real" movie, you start with a script. But when you're making a Blockbuster, you start with the Big Scene that's going to eat up the biggest chunk of the budget and work backwards from there. Most of these movies don't even have "scripts" in the true sense, just bullet points from the producers. "You need to have This, you need to do That", etc., and then they staple it all together into something semi-coherent in post-production. You'd be amazed how many of these blockbuster movies were filmed without an actual script; that was always one of Ryan Reynolds's biggest gripes with making the Green Lantern movie, for example, the fact that they shot almost the entire thing without much more than some notes the producers faxed over every morning.

Which all goes back to my "They shouldn't try and make a TMNT movie the same way they make Avengers movies" argument. But nobody ever listens to me even though I'm right.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 05:55 AM   #65
CrazyFinnishGuy
New Recruit

I personally wouldn't treat them getting comedy writers inherently as the first bad sign. Russo brothers were known as romantic comedy and sitcom guys, before directing The Winter Soldier. Craig Mazin, the writer/creator of HBO's Chernobyl mini-series, was most well-known for writing Scary Movie and Hangover sequels. Talented writers can jump between genres/tones.

I'm more worried that Platium Dunes and Bay are still involved. Hopefully, his part is purely contractually obligated and he has no actual creative control. I guess he technically has his name on some decent stuff (The Quiet Place), so maybe this isn't completely DOA? Can't say I'm getting my hopes up, until we learn more.

Oh, I guess this is my first post here, so, hello everybody.
CrazyFinnishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 06:25 AM   #66
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyFinnishGuy View Post
Craig Mazin, the writer/creator of HBO's Chernobyl mini-series, was most well-known for writing Scary Movie and Hangover sequels. Talented writers can jump between genres/tones.
Slight of topic, but I just love how two of the most famous works on tv and movies in the last few years (Joker and Chernobyl) were made by people behind Hangover trilogy, which was lambasted by a lot of people for being "trashy" and "low taste".
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 01:27 PM   #67
dawwe
Foot Soldier

This live action movie is still a long time away and we might not really hear a lot about it for a good while. I am assuming that there might be some new designs for the turtles themselves and that this is kind of a reboot of the Platinum Dunes movies from 2014 and 2016. I don't think it is out of the question that this is a follow up to those movies but I am leaning towards sort of a light reboot. Hoping they go for something closer to the 1990 movie.

But first we have the new CGI which will be coming out in a few years. Waiting to see the designs of the turtles for both of these movies to see what we can be expecting in terms of design and look.
Old 09-10-2021, 01:49 PM   #68
sdp
-

Paramount to stop big budget feature films in favor of smaller budget films, remakes and content meant to be distributed mainly for their streaming service paramount plus.
https://twitter.com/Borys_Kit/status...5Es1_&ref_url=
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 03:10 PM   #69
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Great... the guy that was immediately mentioning TMNT when he took over, like he had interest in its film potential despite the last two, is out...and now it's taken over the Paw Patrol movie guy?

I swear, if it even still happens and they ruin it by making a film only to then trap it on a streaming service and its limited audience... Animation I wouldn't care so much, so long as there would also be a DVD/Blu-ray, but live action TMNT film needs to be on the big screen.
Old 09-13-2021, 07:35 PM   #70
Galactus
Foot Elite

I highly doubt they'd make a new live action movie a straight to streaming. If they really are cutting movies with big budgets more likely they'd cancel the it outright...which may not be a bad thing.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 07:47 PM   #71
sdp
-

Sony just announced s similar strategy going forward, it seems Hollywood is indeed noticing cinemas are dead. Don't pictures said they'd release less movies on theaters and more for services.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 10:03 AM   #72
AquaParade
Banned

It will be interesting to see whether this was dropped due to the Paramount news, or whether they will try to form it into a live-action series.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 04:25 PM   #73
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I hope it isn't dropped. I know it's willingly risking being a glutton for punishment if PD is still doing it, but I prefer live action for film and if the animated one turns out disappointing, I'd like to have a backup plan to still have a little hope in something even just a tiny bit.