Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
Comments from the head of Nickelodeon.:

https://www.viacomcbs.com/news/conte...ross-platforms
"reinvention" interesting.
Slash-Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 11:12 AM   #822
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

"We're really excited about the slate we've built, starting with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles reinvention that's being produced by Seth Rogen. I saw a first animation of the movie last week and it's going to be amazing. It's hysterical."

So yeah. Comedy, then, just like the live action one is poised to be.

Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 11:15 AM   #823
AquaParade
Banned

Eh, I'd probably settle for a TMNT comedy if it's actually funny. Like, way funnier than a Saturday morning cartoon. Like...actually funny. I don't know if I'm getting that across.

I suppose that is possible. Is it ideal? Not at all. But I'd probably enjoy it, unlike another extremely neutered action movie with terrible humor that doesn't excel at anything.

Still, I'm not holding my breath for this one.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 12:56 PM   #824
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Like...actually funny.
Would be nice. I don't even trust the companies that handle franchises like this to even know how to make them funny anymore.

I'm not against some humor that is integrated into it where it feels natural and makes sense. Stuff that just feels normal between siblings and crap that is just within the nature of living on this planet and being infallible beings, but I despise the forced "Durhur, look how weird and funny we're being!" kind of stupid humor.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 02:30 PM   #825
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

* Is it relatively faithful to the origin of the Turtles?

* Does it have actual "ninja action," with the Turtles actually using their weapons in a serious manner trying to hurt their opponents, if not killing them?

* Are the Turtles social outcasts, not a part of man's civilization but rather looking at it from a distance?

* Does it get into the "circle of vengeance" with the Hamatos and the Orokus?

If the answer to all of those is "Yes," then I'm OK with them leaning a bit more into comedy than maybe I'd be otherwise comfortable with (though only if it doesn't come at a cost to the action). I'm just fairly sure almost all of those are going to be a "No" whether speaking about this project or the live action one.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:35 PM   #826
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Having their traditional origin is still a mystery but I’m sure it’ll have Ninja action and fighting. Even Rise had it. Every version has that.

They probably will be outcasts. Especially if they’re humans first. Unless it’s about mutants being common place. Highly doubt that.

Splinter and Shredder will most likely be included but I could see a different villain/rivalry taking the focus like the 2007 movie.

They did not need to confirm having a comedy side. It’s Nick and Seth Rogen. It was just a brief comment though. Weren’t gonna get any solid info from this.
Old 09-21-2021, 11:43 PM   #827
Sumac
Banned

"Hysterical"

...My expectation of good stuff from TMNT brand are hysterical.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 02:43 PM   #828
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

If Shredder is in it he's probably like their evil shop teacher now.
Old 09-22-2021, 03:12 PM   #829
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Speaking of Shredder, I wonder what direction they will take him for this movie, They could go 87 Shredder, 1990 Shredder, 2003 Shredder, or even 2012 Shredder.

Or all of the above.
Old 09-22-2021, 03:29 PM   #830
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Ha! Perfect.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 04:12 PM   #831
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Or worse -- a republican.
Old 09-22-2021, 04:15 PM   #832
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Hey, I had an evil shop teacher in middle school. No idea of his politics though, I mean, he was an old guy so... maybe.

edit: Ah, Mr. Thermon (or some such spelling), just recalled his name. They used to call him the Thermonator behind his back. Only one time we ever saw him not in a sour mood was when he got a call that his grandchild was born.
Old 09-23-2021, 04:33 AM   #833
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Speaking of Shredder, I wonder what direction they will take him for this movie, They could go 87 Shredder, 1990 Shredder, 2003 Shredder, or even 2012 Shredder.

Or all of the above.
In the 2014 and 2016 movies i was like in 2012 so now i will be like 2003 .
Old 09-23-2021, 10:58 AM   #834
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

* Does it have actual "ninja action," with the Turtles actually using their weapons in a serious manner trying to hurt their opponents, if not killing them?

* Are the Turtles social outcasts, not a part of man's civilization but rather looking at it from a distance?

If the answer to all of those is "Yes," then I'm OK with them leaning a bit more into comedy than maybe I'd be otherwise comfortable with (though only if it doesn't come at a cost to the action). I'm just fairly sure almost all of those are going to be a "No" whether speaking about this project or the live action one.
I definitely agree with you on those first three, but the "circle of vengeance" thing is usually what gets altered the most and it usually becomes simplified to "Splinter and Ninja Turtles versus Shredder and the Foot Clan"; I mean lets be honest with ourselves. We have never once seen Oroku Nagi be used in any adaptation outside the original comic book and in both the 1990 movie and 2012 cartoon it was Saki/Shredder himself who was in love with Teng Shen, while in the 2003 cartoon it was Hamato Yoshi's friend Mashimi who became his rival for Shen's love. Just out of curiousity, how important to you is it that the backstory with those characters plays out exactly how Eastman and Laird wrote it back in 1984?

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 11:15 AM   #835
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
I definitely agree with you on those first three, but the "circle of vengeance" thing is usually what gets altered the most and it usually becomes simplified to "Splinter and Ninja Turtles versus Shredder and the Foot Clan"
In other words, it becomes rubbish. I don't like it to become rubbish.

Quote:
I mean lets be honest with ourselves. We have never once seen Oroku Nagi be used in any adaptation outside the original comic book and in both the 1990 movie and 2012 cartoon it was Saki/Shredder himself who was in love with Teng Shen, while in the 2003 cartoon it was Hamato Yoshi's friend Mashimi who became his rival for Shen's love.
You can write out Nagi and kind of merge him into Saki, that's not super crucial. Though it does make Saki less sympathetic. Which is fine, if your bag is cardboard villains. Which, given that so many fans seem to love Bebop and Rocksteady and all of that, is apparently a lot of the fans out there.

Quote:
Just out of curiousity, how important to you is it that the backstory with those characters plays out exactly how Eastman and Laird wrote it back in 1984?
Exactly? Zero. But the general bullet points should be there. Like how 2014 forgot to even include a reason how Splinter and Shredder would (or could) even know each other, let alone be out for revenge. Whoops!
Old 09-23-2021, 05:30 PM   #836
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I called this movie being trash since the announcement, there were plenty of red flags even back then.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:46 AM   #837
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Quote:
if your bag is cardboard villains. Which, given that so many fans seem to love Bebop and Rocksteady and all of that, is apparently a lot of the fans out there.
After the ending they were given in the 2012 series I'm willing to bet we'll see them become anti-heroes similar to what DC has been doing with Harley Quinn as of late.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 08:11 PM   #838
Lord Nightwalker
Stone Warrior

Quote:

I agree with this. All of this. We've seen what happens when they go for comedy. It's not funny.
Lord Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 03:15 PM   #839
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:

The origin being anywhere near faithful is probably 50/50 - I think going forward, each new iteration will have its own brand new origin to go with it; we've officially reached the point with this brand where nothing is sacrosanct and every bit of it is up for being "reinvented".

The other stuff, though, I have a strong feeling we will never see fully explored in a TMNT movie again, either animated or live action. It's a toy commercial for little kids and that's all it ever will be; anything too "heavy" or "deep", they're not gonna touch. It seems like the plan is to make each new version more "safe" and have a broad mainstream appeal.

I mean, look who owns it. End of story.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 03:39 PM   #840
Lord Nightwalker
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Or worse -- a republican.