The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 02-15-2022, 08:58 PM   #1081
Jephael
That whack job behind you

These designs remind me a lot of how the Turtles looked in the "Don vs Raph" Comic Con short by the creator of Invader Zim. Granted the whole squished head look makes them seem a little off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Straight up glasses and braces? Who in the world would be giving Turtles orthodontics? You guys know what this means, right? The braces are evidence that these will be normal human boys turned into Turtles, like was rumored before.

Calling it now: there's a big release of mutagen because of Shredder, tons of things become mutated including 4 normal human boys, and some human martial arts master becomes mutated into a rat and recruits them to ward off the mutant spree.
I kinda wish they would go with the reincarnation route like in the IDW comics, but then again the studios would probably be concerned that it might offend certain religious types who don't believe in that sorta spiritual stuff. Remember all the complaints in the letter section of Archie comics?

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 09:32 PM   #1082
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Being concept art certain details might be not used but since these were shown I’m gonna assume it’s a good indication.

The Turtles look fine but I agree Don’s glasses/buck tooth are unnecessary unless they’re important to his character for some reason. The glasses I mean.

Going by these I’d say it’s NOT a FW follow up. Don would not suddenly acquire a bucktooth. It looks like it’s own thing that uses FW stuff and other nods.

If it is about humans becoming Turtles I’m perfectly fine with it and find that interesting...for this.

I know we discussed it already but it’ll clearly operate as a totally separate continuity. It should not be considered some forbidden offense.

When the Live Action movie (whatever future movies/cartoons) comes out it won’t matter. Even if it’s really successful it’ll still be a separate thing.
Old 02-15-2022, 10:34 PM   #1083
Vicky82
Emperor

Finally an update, they look ok, Leo wearing braces is weird.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 11:38 PM   #1084
Slash-Dash
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
not what I was expecting.... is that ray fillet on the top right corner?
Slash-Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 11:55 PM   #1085
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
Finally an update, they look ok, Leo wearing braces is weird.
Because he used to be a human kid. That's the only explanation.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 12:05 AM   #1086
Slash-Dash
Foot Soldier

Quote:
hey Andrew, do you think that is ray fillet on the top right corner?
Slash-Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 12:40 AM   #1087
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
The concept art for the CGI movie has been released.
Into the garbage it goes.

Why the **** they are looking so gangly? Like, FW for all its faults always portrayed Turtles like bodybuilders, the same can be said about most their incarnations, besides, TMNT 2007 and even then they looked pretty muscular. Those guys need to add some proteins and stakes to their diet, ASAP.

And I won't even go into ranting about glasses and braces...
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 12:51 AM   #1088
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
I kinda wish they would go with the reincarnation route like in the IDW comics, but then again the studios would probably be concerned that it might offend certain religious types who don't believe in that sorta spiritual stuff.
A reincarnation route like in IDW (which I've said is probably the only thing I really like about the IDW material, and I think works well) wouldn't make much sense in what apparently is going on here.

They're going to be human kids who are mutated into Turtles. I was skeptical before, but that's clearly what's going on now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash-Dash View Post
hey Andrew, do you think that is ray fillet on the top right corner?
No. I mean, that MIGHT be Wingnut and Screwloose in the top area, but I'm thinking everyone on this page except for Shredder is probably "new."

"Mutants, mutants everywhere! NYC is overrun!" is what we're looking at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Why the **** they are looking so gangly?
Because, again, they're going to be normal human kids who become mutant Turtles in this. Not training in the sewer for 15 years, as they should have been. But rather living at home with mom and dad watching cartoons and going to school.
Old 02-16-2022, 12:55 AM   #1089
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Because, again, they're going to be normal human kids who become mutant Turtles in this. Not training in the sewer for 15 years, as they should have been. But rather living at home with mom and dad watching cartoons and going to school.
And, of course, they will become top tier ninjas in a course of two weeks and will be able to beat the crap out of enemies, like Shredder, who trained his whole life.

I understand that it is cartoon for kids, but c'mon, can they keep at least some core ideas? I love FW, but I think world had enough of lighthearted TMNT adaptations.
Old 02-16-2022, 01:45 AM   #1090
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Hey all. reposting the concept art since the link to the "close up" one is not working anymore.

Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 03:26 AM   #1091
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
I think world had enough of lighthearted TMNT adaptations.
I think there's been a fair balance of 'light yet dark' TMNT adaptations, TMNT 2012 was a mix of both. TMNT 23K was only outright sanitized late in it's run also.

Outside of one film getting the mix right, you can say the rest of the film output has been largely handled with soft gloves though, and the box office has never been Steller for them.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 04:27 AM   #1092
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

So the images of the concept art are being taken down on twitter, Seems like Paramount didn't want it leaked, but you can still find it on there by other accounts, Even the most recent video from the Old Turtle Den which talks about the images was also taken down.

Last edited by TigerClaw; 02-16-2022 at 04:34 AM.
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 05:03 AM   #1093
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
I think there's been a fair balance of 'light yet dark' TMNT adaptations, TMNT 2012 was a mix of both. TMNT 23K was only outright sanitized late in it's run also.
I don't think there was anything resembling "balance".

Outside of the first movie and most of the 2k3, everything else was fundamentally lighthearted stuff, even, if they dipped their toes into grim stuff occasionally.
Old 02-16-2022, 05:14 AM   #1094
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
I think there's been a fair balance of 'light yet dark' TMNT adaptations, TMNT 2012 was a mix of both.
Such a direction isn't much to praise, I honestly feel like the 2012 show isn't criticised enough for that. It just made the show come across as schizophrenic to me because it didn't really mesh that well.

Quote:
In the 2012 series, They were treated as fictional characters in a superhero comic that Mikey was reading that were magically brought to life.

In the archie comic and FW, they were aliens.
  1. How is "comic book characters magically brought to life" a bad concept? You just stated how they are depicted and didn't really argue for why you felt it was improper. Sure it is technically different because they aren't "real" but it just comes across like think it's bad because it's different and for no actual reason.
  2. Yes, they were aliens in both the Archie comic and the Fred Wolf show but that is where the similarities end. Beyond basic visual similarities, the designs are very different and their personalities along with their role in the story is pretty much a complete reversal. That is what I meant by saying they might as well be different characters. By your logic, the Martian Manhunter and Uncle Martin might as well be the same character because they're both shapeshifters from Mars...
  3. Let me reiterate my original point as detailed as possible so you cannot possibly misunderstand it. The only defining feature about Wingnut is that he is a humanoid bat-like creature, that is literally the only consistent trait about him throughout the franchise from the very beginning. A very basic idea like if he's a heroic, villainous or neutral character is something the writers have never settled on. When you get into even less broad ideas about this character is, then it is even less consistent. According to the IDW comics, Wingnut is not an alien but a near mindless lab experiment from an alternate timeline, this is arguably even more of a deviation from previous iterations than the 2012 show. This character is more often than not treated like a blank slate, which means there isn't much that can be said about him because there are basically nothing to expect about it. There isn't a proper way to write Wingnut because he's a minor character thrown in just because he looks neat and is never written with a set of consistent traits.

This is a problem you have, you just say a bunch of bullshit without any actual arguments attached and expect people to agree with you. Then when they don't, you just double down on your opinion and still don't bring any arguments to the table.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 06:49 AM   #1095
AquaParade
Banned

Getting back to the braces: there is a way it could work, without the turtles being humans. Being outcasts has always been an element of tmnt, so, as a young person, it makes sense for Leo to notice his teeth are gnarly and maybe ask Don to fix them. As mutant turtles, they might have a longing to belong to the world above. Trying to fit in isn't that far off-base

Look, I don't like it, and I think it's overkill even if this is the reason, but at least some sense can potentially be applied to it, thematically.

That's not to say I'm sure they aren't originally humans in this version. That's also a totally reasonable explanation.

As for the glasses, they make perfect sense to me - why shouldn't one of the turtles require glasses?
My only issue with them is that the design is so "on the nose" for Donatello. I'm tired or seeing him as a stereotypical nerd.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 08:05 AM   #1096
graphic_content
Mad Scientist

Character Descriptions for New Film

Not sure if this made its way here yet; I went back a few pages, and didnt see anything, so...

https://www.theilluminerdi.com/2021/...a-turtles-lds/

Leonardo (M), Age: 13-16, Any ethnicity, (V.O.) LEAD

The team leader. Leo is strictly business, all killer no filler – except when he’s boasting and describing himself with dumb phrases like “all killer no filler.” He cares about keeping the “team” on mission, and tells himself that his brothers would be lost without him. He’s not the strongest (Raph) or the smartest (Donnie), or the funniest (Mikey), but he’s the hardest working turtle boy and he’s proud of it. His brothers can get annoyed by his do-gooder attitude and the lectures that come with it, even when they know he’s right. Leo’s biggest fears are his brothers realizing that he needs them more than they need him.

Raphael (M), Age: 13-16, Any ethnicity, (V.O.) LEAD

The hot head. Raph likes to break s**t. Whether it’s with his fists or someone else’s fists as he throws them through a glass window. Ralph tends to react emotionally when he’s overwhelmed, but he’s actually super self-aware and working on it. With his hands in his pockets, crossed arms, and sullen face, he can come across as a little brooding. But beneath his impenetrable exterior is a soft, sensitive turtle boy who’s just looking for someone to open up to. Raph, who would hate ANY authority figure, resents Leo’s leadership and thinks he should be in charge. His secrete shame? He knows deep down he wouldn’t know how to lead the team if it ever came to it.

Michelangelo (M), Age: 13-16, Any ethnicity, (V.O.) LEAD

The goofball. With rare exception – takes nothing seriously. It could come across as aloofness or idiocy, but it actually comes from a place of wisdom and self-confidence. (knowing himself?) Mikey has his priorities in order, and at the top of the list is enjoying life and living in the present. He loves people and is endlessly curious, which leads to him having long conversations with complete strangers.

He’s that friend you tell your entire life story within minutes of meeting. He might not be good at martial arts training, or waking up on time, or even hygiene, but he’s an endless well of positivity that his brothers often take for granted. Mikey gets teased the most by his brothers, and even though he always laughs it off. Deep down it gets to him.

Donatello (M), Age: 13-16, Any ethnicity (V.O.) LEAD

The intellectual. Feels like he’s Matt Damon in Goodwill Hunting. He is made fun of by his brothers for being academic. They acknowledge his smarts are useful but don’t appreciate it as much as he feels he deserves. His intelligence has its downsides though. Sometimes his intellectual self-assuredness can come across as arrogance, and his extreme pragmatism sometimes reads as coldness. It’s not that he doesn’t care, his brain is just thinking so many steps ahead about such complicated stuff that he often finds himself paralyzed with indecision.

He can talk himself into something just as easily as he can talk himself out. Donnie knows he’s smart, but his secret fear he’d never admit out loud is that if he was ever around people at his level, he worries he wouldn’t be able to keep up. And if he’s not as smart as he thought… what is he?
Old 02-16-2022, 08:40 AM   #1097
D Piddy 1982
Stone Warrior

The TMNT fandom never ceases to amaze me.

I'll constantly see fan art and concept on social media, that everyone seems to go gaga over. "Awesome", "amazing", "love to see this in a new series or movie"...Yet I look at the same concept and think to myself "if Michael Bay posted that he would be ripped to shreds".

This new concept art comes along, looks to me like they have stripped it back down to the basics of what someone might draw a "basic" ninja Turtle like - what everyone on here has apparently been shouting for. They've taken away the individuality of Rise, the huge accessory count of the Bay Turtles. The only small accessory additions are glasses, durag, wraps. Possibly braces. I mean c'mon that's hardly anything. You want them to be clones?

The other comment about them looking skinny/lean - seriously? Bay Turts were criticize for being beefcakes. These new designs are on a par with 2012 - they were pretty lean, just had Popeye wrists and ankles.

I'm not defending this new take (although I have no real problems with it). I'm just putting it out there that I don't know if it is possible to please the TMNT fandom!! Whatever they put out, they can't win, unless it fits squarely into something that was approved before i.e. 1990 movie designs. I say they just gotta do what they gotta do. Or else it will be death by democracy.

" 'Hero Turtle' craze leads to duck deaths" BBC News 2001
D Piddy 1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 09:11 AM   #1098
Vicky82
Emperor

Quote:
Is that officially confirmed? I haven't seen anywhere that says that.

Maybe they have there own dentist, who's also a mutant.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 09:54 AM   #1099
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

I can’t speak for the whole movie yet but based only on the concept art for the brothers, yes, I like it. I like the braces too. I like anything that emphasizes them being teens, which that does. Don’t underestimate Donnie, maybe he engineered those for Leo. Stole some from a Dentist office and installed them himself. I don’t think this necessarily points to some kind of origin change, but it’s possible.

So people who think older TMNT fans are too resistant to anything that deviates from what has already been previously established, this is one turtle fan who is here to say I’m happy to roll with changes if and when it fits.

I’m more concerned about the design of the technodrome which looks extremely toony like a kid designed it.

Last edited by Zulithe; 02-16-2022 at 10:03 AM.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 10:00 AM   #1100
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
it makes sense for Leo to notice his teeth are gnarly and maybe ask Don to fix them.
To which Don would say, "Sure, Leo! I totally have been looking for a place and time to put into practice all this orthodontics I've been learning about for years and using all these orthodontic gear I've been gathering up for absolutely no reason!"?

Because that's retarded.

Quote:
As for the glasses, they make perfect sense to me - why shouldn't one of the turtles require glasses?
My only issue with them is that the design is so "on the nose" for Donatello. I'm tired or seeing him as a stereotypical nerd.
Because it's stupid and it's accessorizing and yes, WHAT ARE THE ODDS? The one Turtle that's the geeky one, BAM, he's the one who ends up with myopia. It'd be like, if one of the Turtles was a pirate, that's the Turtle that accidentally loses his leg and gets a peg leg.