The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 06-21-2022, 02:54 PM   #21
mrmaczaps
Banned

I like Burnham so I'll give this a shot for him alone. Not really a fan of the 87 toon past the first couple seasons & what it did to help make the franchise huge.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 03:27 PM   #22
frank_one
Mad Scientist

This four issues might be a test to see how much interest is still there for this stuff.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 03:29 PM   #23
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
This four issues might be a test to see how much interest is still there for this stuff.
Of course. It's the same thing as the Archie 3 part mini-series that Archie did initially.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 04:42 PM   #24
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Of course. It's the same thing as the Archie 3 part mini-series that Archie did initially.
I thought the purpose of the Archie series was always to give Playmates additional advertisement.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 05:28 PM   #25
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I thought the purpose of the Archie series was always to give Playmates additional advertisement.
Maybe? But it's safe to say it quickly went well beyond that purpose.
Old 06-21-2022, 05:32 PM   #26
CyberCubed
Overlord

What's interesting to me is they chose the original cartoon over continuing the Archie series, whereas the Archie series looks close enough to the original cartoon that most casual fans wouldn't tell the difference anyway.

So I take this as getting 4 "new episodes" of the original cartoon set somewhere around Season 7.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 05:50 PM   #27
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Yeah. At its peak it was reportedly selling about 150,000 copies a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
What's interesting to me is they chose the original cartoon over continuing the Archie series, whereas the Archie series looks close enough to the original cartoon that most casual fans wouldn't tell the difference anyway.

So I take this as getting 4 "new episodes" of the original cartoon set somewhere around Season 7.
That would've been the smart move. Do like a stealth continuation of the Archie stuff but push it like it's season 11 of the Fred Wolf show.
Old 06-21-2022, 07:07 PM   #28
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah. At its peak it was reportedly selling about 150,000 copies a month.
In terms of sales figures, it was probably more than enough to justify it's own existence regardless of toy sales. But I'm pretty sure a lot of the major characters were designed to be toys and that these types of characters kept showing up even towards the end of the series. The Marvel comics versions of Transformers and GI Joe obviously don't share continuity with their cartoon counterparts but the same characters kept getting introduced in both, simply because both the shows and the comics were obligated to market their toys.

Unless Mondo Gecko, Ray Fillet, Wingnut, Scumbug, Slash and Wyrm were created for the comic first and just got toys later, I doubt it's fair to try and divorce the comic from the toyline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post

Quote:
That would've been the smart move. Do like a stealth continuation of the Archie stuff but push it like it's season 11 of the Fred Wolf show.
The article states Krang is a character in this, so I think it's safe to assume it's meant to "continue" the Fred Wolf cartoon in which he was basically always around, rather than the Archie comics where he was only kept around long enough to make his expulsion seem natural.

As for "when" it takes place? You know Turtles Forever just kind of pretends Shredder and Krang never lost the Technodrome and has Ch'rell redesign in such a way that it contradicts it's later appearances? Or how the 2012 crossovers are even worse because they essentially expects us to forget what Dimension X, the Rock Soldiers and Krang's original body looked like? I don't think anyone really (at least not writers) cares about the Fred Wolf cartoon beyond a vague nostalgic notion of it. This will likely "continue" the Fred Wolf cartoon in the sense that "April is a reporter on the hunt for a big scoop and Shredder teams up with Krang to do some ******** that will gas up the Technodrome, so the Turtles stop them and they all celebrate with a delicious marshmallow and miso paste pizza!", not in the sense that will give enough of a fuck to finally explain what happened to Bebop and Rocksteady after season 8 or finally de-mutating Splinter despite there being like a million instances of them being to return April to human form everytime some bullshit happens to her DNA.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 08:58 PM   #29
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

**** it, I'm all in. I love the cover and how they gave them more of that beak/overbite. Looks great.
Old 06-22-2022, 02:14 PM   #30
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Test what? The next series(tv series) that is already being made will not be with the 1987 universe
Old 06-22-2022, 02:15 PM   #31
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder orokusaki View Post
Test what? The next series(tv series) that is already being made will not be with the 1987 universe
The TV people at Nick could give two f***s about a Fred Wolf-based comic book. I'm sure he means like an ongoing Fred Wolf book after the mini.
Old 06-22-2022, 02:47 PM   #32
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I'm sure he means like an ongoing Fred Wolf book after the mini.
Yes, I was referring to the possibility of a new ongoing series.
Old 06-22-2022, 04:43 PM   #33
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

If this mini has high sales, and it will be at least mildly successful, they will turn this into a full series. I'm definitely picking these issues up, they look really interesting.

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 06:21 PM   #34
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
It will answer two big questions:

#1: Is there really, truly thousands and thousands of Fred Wolf fans out there, biding their time and waiting for a new Fred Wolf project that they will throw their support behind?

#2: Would a new Fred Wolf project resonate with people who did not grow up with the cartoon?
I'm totally up for this book, but it's launching at a time where people our generation are abandoning comics, TMNT is not hyped at all right now and we are in a period where people are going to watch their discretionary spending completely.

Most likely this thing won't have huge sales legs and it will lead to some potentially scarce aftermarket TMNT books. Too bad it's a mini-series. On top of those facts, I'm also disinclined to basically support IDW very much at all with their agenda publishing.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 07:14 PM   #35
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Oh, I have no doubt this book will not sell as well as it would have 10 years ago. But I think it will still do decently, but it may or may not be well enough to justify a full series.

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 08:03 PM   #36
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
Oh, I have no doubt this book will not sell as well as it would have 10 years ago. But I think it will still do decently, but it may or may not be well enough to justify a full series.
Even 10 years ago is pushing it. Maybe 20.
Old 06-22-2022, 08:20 PM   #37
CyberCubed
Overlord

10 years ago was 2012, even then is when the Nick cartoon started and already two decades after the original cartoon ended. Even the early 2000's around 2003 when most of the original fans were teens/young adults might have been a hit.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 02:41 AM   #38
Ninjinister
無問題

Constantly seeing people somehow confusing (willfully?) individual people being excited about something with them presuming that it'll be a runaway smash/moneymaker and it's so fking weird. I see it more here than anywhere else.

Like a grip of people here can be like "oh **** this looks dope" and then someone always swoops in with "you know it's not going to be successful you idiot"

like wtf, who hurt you?
Old 06-23-2022, 03:05 AM   #39
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

What a weird take. Yet common among certain groups. "Who hurt you bro?" indeed. Well, the answer is "nobody," but it actually says far more about you.
Old 06-23-2022, 03:16 AM   #40
ZariusTwo
Overlord

How is Shredder's Revenge selling at the moment?

I know comics and video games are a different beast altogether, but the comic could still benefit from how good that might be doing.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote