The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 03-13-2023, 07:24 PM   #4441
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
consider the following
I get that it was a dumb thing to say, and a pretty horrendous attempt at damage control. But most of the ire in the thread aimed at Super7 has more to do with Rat King's design than anything else, which we clearly see they can do nothing about and is Playmates' fault.

But, yes, I'll admit that the stuff being said by people at Super7 is pretty tone deaf, though I can imagine they probably can't come right out and say what the real issue is without upsetting either Playmates or Viacom.

While I'm in the minority in not minding these newer designs, I do hope the "teams" they started will still get completed, such as the Rock 'n Roll Turtles, the Neutrinos, and the Punk Frogs. On the topic of the latter, they made a Re-Action of Napoleon Bonafrog, so I'm wondering if that means they still have the okay to make an Ultimates of him in that style. I'm really not sure how any of that stuff works, but if the design's already been approved for one thing, it's possible they could still use it for the other, right?
Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 10:07 PM   #4442
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

Alright, so... here's something I'm wondering about.

If a design already has a Re-Action figure of it, does that mean it can still end up getting an Ultimates figure? It feels like it'd make sense for Super7 to already have the okay in this case, but obviously one can't just assume. But would you guys say maybe it does make it more likely that these designs are already pre-approved for Ultimates?
Old 03-25-2023, 10:24 PM   #4443
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Looks like there will be a Brian Flynn interview with the Fwoosh on Monday.

Quote:
I got to chat with Brian Flynn from@super7store yesterday, & we got to some interesting & unexpected topics. The #FwooshCast should be up on Monday - there is some great news for #SilverHawks fans, & something VERY interesting about #TMNT. Plus more. Stay tuned.
Hrmmmm ...
Old 03-26-2023, 08:22 PM   #4444
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

Interesting doesn't mean good, but whatever the news ends up being, I'm definitely intrigued. While I honestly don't mind the figures going in a more original direction (I'm even part of the minority that really digs this handsome Rat King), there ARE still many vintage figures I would have liked to have seen get the Ultimates treatment, like Napoleon Bonafrog, Heavy Metal Raph, Rappin' Mike, Dask, Kala, Shogun Shoate, and Fugitoid (all but those last 2 are figures that are part of groups/teams that Super7 already started on).
Old 03-27-2023, 09:41 AM   #4445
teemu
Stone Warrior

Rat King is being PULLED! being revised to look like the toy! and will be in Wave 11. Karai will replace the garbage rat king in wave 10

They are working with the licenscor's for the future.

It sounds like they were trying to do something different with rat king, but If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 10:37 AM   #4446
Lordmylar06
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemu View Post
Rat King is being PULLED! being revised to look like the toy! and will be in Wave 11. Karai will replace the garbage rat king in wave 10

It sounds like they were trying to do something different with rat king, but If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Just watched the fwooshcast interview. Respect to Brian for trying to explain the Rat King(and future sculpts) difficulties. I think a lot of the community has an idea of what's happening behind the scenes and it can be difficult to adjust. Luckily there are a lot of different Rat King versions, even within the Mirage and Archie comics that have differences from the cartoon and vintage figure counterparts. I hope that they'll find inspiration that doesn't step on too many toes.

Last edited by Lordmylar06; 03-27-2023 at 10:45 AM.
Lordmylar06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 10:48 AM   #4447
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Anyone who's watched it already have any timestamps for when he talks about TMNT?
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 10:51 AM   #4448
Lordmylar06
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Anyone who's watched it already have any timestamps for when he talks about TMNT?
It's at a little less than 36 minutes in.
Old 03-27-2023, 10:58 AM   #4449
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordmylar06 View Post
It's at a little less than 36 minutes in.
thank you! you're a hero.

I have had a lot of issues with S7 lately. And I still do. But credit where it's due: they listened to their customers and are making changes. Granted, they probably saw maybe 3 pre-orders and were forced back to the drawing board financially, and it remains to be seen how well they do with their revision, but still, they're making changes. Good news.

Last edited by italianice388; 03-27-2023 at 11:06 AM.
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 11:11 AM   #4450
teemu
Stone Warrior

Quote:
thank you! you're a hero.

I have had a lot of issues with S7 lately. And I still do. But credit where it's due: they listened to their customers and are making changes. Granted, they probably saw maybe 3 pre-orders and were forced back to the drawing board financially, and it remains to be seen how well they do with their revision, but still, they're making changes. Good news.
this is exactly what happened. The customers spoke. Brian said Rat King in wave 11 will be what everyone expects him to be..like the vintage toy, like the rest of the line has been.
Old 03-27-2023, 12:52 PM   #4451
Lordmylar06
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Brian said Rat King in wave 11 will be what everyone expects him to be..like the vintage toy, like the rest of the line has been.
Well... not exactly, but he did say that they are working to get him closer to the acceptable look for what everyone is expecting. I don't know that we should expect full-on gross face Rat-King, but I bet we see something hybrid between the vintage figure and the Mirage comic version.
Also, unless he finds examples of his accessories in other forms of media we might be kissing the playmates homage accessories goodbye. This is why he said "we have to find justifications for design choices".
Old 03-27-2023, 12:53 PM   #4452
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:

Maybe this was a social experiment. I mean they had Karai all designed and ready and decided to stay mute on her until now!
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 12:54 PM   #4453
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Now comes the waves and waves of people screaming "But I actually wanted the first Rat King they showed off"
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 12:57 PM   #4454
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Moroboshi View Post
Interesting doesn't mean good, but whatever the news ends up being, I'm definitely intrigued. While I honestly don't mind the figures going in a more original direction (I'm even part of the minority that really digs this handsome Rat King), there ARE still many vintage figures I would have liked to have seen get the Ultimates treatment, like Napoleon Bonafrog, Heavy Metal Raph, Rappin' Mike, Dask, Kala, Shogun Shoate, and Fugitoid (all but those last 2 are figures that are part of groups/teams that Super7 already started on).
I'm with you. I hope they really finish the teams; the frogs, Neutrinos, rocker turtles, and disguise turtles. Shogun Shoate and Fugitoid would translate into great designs. If they haven't lost the rights to Triceraton, maybe even a Shogun Triceraton at some point. Perhaps, they will sneak in one of handsome Rat King's head (as an alternate) with the revamped Rat King figure.
Old 03-27-2023, 12:59 PM   #4455
teemu
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordmylar06 View Post
Well... not exactly, but he did say that they are working to get him closer to the acceptable look for what everyone is expecting. I don't know that we should expect full-on gross face Rat-King, but I bet we see something hybrid between the vintage figure and the Mirage comic version.
Also, unless he finds examples of his accessories in other forms of media we might be kissing the playmates homage accessories goodbye. This is why he said "we have to find justifications for design choices".
He said they will make him as fans expect him to be...there is no other alternative and expectation of what fans want. He will likely look just like the rest of the line has been. Toy inspired
Old 03-27-2023, 12:59 PM   #4456
Dask
Mad Scientist

Weird question:

If I don't preorder wave 10 now, will I lose Karai? I hope it's not a gift to early adopters (and disgruntled early adopters).
Old 03-27-2023, 01:03 PM   #4457
teemu
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dask View Post
Maybe this was a social experiment. I mean they had Karai all designed and ready and decided to stay mute on her until now!
It was a dumb one. Nobody asked for Super7 "interpretation" Rat king (while making claims it was based on the shredder's revenge rat king, when clearly shredder's revenge is based on the 87 cartoon, the game even has the 87 cartoon voice cast in it). NECA's cartoon line basically cover's the shredder's revenge game

And here is the proof- " Of course, the game is specifically based on the most famous iteration of the Turtles, and the 1987 cartoon." https://www.videogamer.com/news/teen...-in-new-video/
Old 03-27-2023, 01:23 PM   #4458
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Brian seems like a ok guy, but that was a lot of word salad to basically say “we thought fans would just buy into something new.” It’s not rocket science to understand the appeal of the Super7 line was “Playmates Remastered” so they knew the potential conversations that were going to happen upon releasing THAT figure. Basically I think they feared Rat King would be “Good Brother’d.”

We’ll see how good/accurate the figure actually looks when/if Wave 11 gets announced and how far behind the waves will be by then.
RaphaelinSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 01:42 PM   #4459
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:
It was a dumb one. Nobody asked for Super7 "interpretation" Rat king (while making claims it was based on the shredder's revenge rat king, when clearly shredder's revenge is based on the 87 cartoon, the game even has the 87 cartoon voice cast in it). NECA's cartoon line basically cover's the shredder's revenge game

And here is the proof- " Of course, the game is specifically based on the most famous iteration of the Turtles, and the 1987 cartoon." https://www.videogamer.com/news/teen...-in-new-video/
Yeah, I think that was Super7's reasoning for that 1 second of Shredder's Revenge where his hair is shuffled. Obviously, Shredder's Revenge and most iterations of the TMNT video games are based on the popular 1987 toon.

Unless, they've renegotiated with Viacom or Playmates, I really doubt that the Wave 11 Rat King will be 100% based on the vintage. It may be more Mirage inspired.
Old 03-27-2023, 01:46 PM   #4460
teemu
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dask View Post
Yeah, I think that was Super7's reasoning for that 1 second of Shredder's Revenge where his hair is shuffled. Obviously, Shredder's Revenge and most iterations of the TMNT video games are based on the popular 1987 toon.

Unless, they've renegotiated with Viacom or Playmates, I really doubt that the Wave 11 Rat King will be 100% based on the vintage. It may be more Mirage inspired.
I'm sure they will F it up just like making the TRON reaction stuff Disney park exclusive. (hopefully that shows up on the Disneystore, but people can't ask these simple type questions and Flynn likes to never give us straight answers)