The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2023, 04:34 PM   #901
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
Ohhhhh! Neat! Don't think we have that where I'm at so really just thought "4D" was a typo. lol

Ya know, a VR headset that can adjust focus and make glasses not even needed to view something in 3D someday would be awesome.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 12:23 AM   #902
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,112
I got the Junior Novelization today. Will report fully tomorrow, but so far... there is very little substance here. And the origin story is... well, they didn't spend a lot of time thinking through that part.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 10:09 AM   #903
newhire13
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
I got the Junior Novelization today. Will report fully tomorrow, but so far... there is very little substance here. And the origin story is... well, they didn't spend a lot of time thinking through that part.
Well it is a kids book lol

Promo with parts of the origin. Like with the 2012 show it looks like mutation hurts:
https://youtu.be/jtHUYbrGcJE
newhire13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 10:30 AM   #904
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer
 
Autbot_Benz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ventura California
Posts: 9,164
__________________
I respect what FW cartoon did for the turtles franchise but it is the most overrated and hard to watch of the 3 turtles cartoons.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 10:38 AM   #905
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhire13 View Post
Well it is a kids book lol
For a kids movie. It's probably dead-on.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 11:17 AM   #906
neatoman
Overlord
 
neatoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 11,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
I got the Junior Novelization today. Will report fully tomorrow, but so far... there is very little substance here. And the origin story is... well, they didn't spend a lot of time thinking through that part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
… Like... What's wrong with it? A rat finds four baby turtles in a sewer covered ooze, that was the origin in 1984, 1990 and 2003. It's not like the clip itself deviates from anything I expected.

Did they do the "Hamato Yoshi replaced with an instruction book" thing again?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 11:32 AM   #907
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite
 
LeotheLateBloomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
Well at least this movie has the origin of Splinter going from a rat to a mutant instead of Hamato Yoshi turning into a rat.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 11:36 AM   #908
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
few featurette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
They're really trying to market this to the weirdo pedo fans, aren't they?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 11:53 AM   #909
ranger_scout
Foot Elite
 
ranger_scout's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
I was actually kind of expecting this movie to go the route that Spider-Man: Homecoming took where they wouldn't show the origin story since it has been done in many iterations, but I guess enough time has passed where kids who born ten years ago or so might not know it.
ranger_scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 12:02 PM   #910
Donnie
Something from the Past
 
Donnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
They're really trying to market this to the weirdo pedo fans, aren't they?
I see more and more marketing for Gen Z. Snapchat filters and all that garbage. Shame.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 02:13 PM   #911
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
… Like... What's wrong with it? A rat finds four baby turtles in a sewer covered ooze, that was the origin in 1984, 1990 and 2003. It's not like the clip itself deviates from anything I expected.

Did they do the "Hamato Yoshi replaced with an instruction book" thing again?
Spoiler:
The rat has no ties to Japan or martial arts at all. None of them do. The five of them go up to Times Square when the Turtles are younger and—surprise—all the people freak out. So Splinter decides they need to learn martial arts. So he watches internet videos (because apparently they have the internet [and, later, cell phones]) and they all become ninja masters.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 02:16 PM   #912
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
Spoiler:
The rat has no ties to Japan or martial arts at all. None of them do. The five of them go up to Times Square when the Turtles are younger and—surprise—all the people freak out. So Splinter decides they need to learn martial arts. So he watches internet videos (because apparently they have the internet [and, later, cell phones]) and they all become ninja masters.
That's the most ridiculous thing I've read about this movie... since the last most ridiculous thing I've read about this movie. Just like the Bayturtles, essentially? And I'm sure I know the answer, but do they bother to explain how Michelangelo ever went to an orthodontist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Primer View Post
What does this have to do with the videos you linked???? A crazy accusation for... featuring turtle babies in the story? Something that's been in every iteration?
What, did the shoe fit or something?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 02:20 PM   #913
neatoman
Overlord
 
neatoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 11,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
Spoiler:
The rat has no ties to Japan or martial arts at all. None of them do. The five of them go up to Times Square when the Turtles are younger and—surprise—all the people freak out. So Splinter decides they need to learn martial arts. So he watches internet videos (because apparently they have the internet [and, later, cell phones]) and they all become ninja masters.
Wow… That's… Basically a repeat of the instruction book… What's with the accent then?

Anyway, I guess the two things I really want to know is:
  1. How does Baxter Stockman fit into all this?
  2. Is TCRI run by aliens?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 02:23 PM   #914
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
That's the most ridiculous thing I've read about this movie... since the last most ridiculous thing I've read about this movie. Just like the Bayturtles, essentially?
I honestly don't recall the BayTurtles origin well enough to compare... but probably?

Spoiler:
The whole thing is just very quick and light on details. Don isn't even portrayed as a tech geek. His biggest thing seems to be liking anime. At least in the book (and god, I hope they changed these for the movie), there are a lot of really weird references to 90s pop culture. And the weirdest things. The Spice Girls, Phish, Depeche Mode, Party of Five. Probably something else. Like, why do 15 yo boys who live in the sewers in 2023 know about these things above all the other things? It's so weird.

And people are going to haaaate what they did to Bebop and Rocksteady. They are basically just background mutants along with the full lineup of others. Mondo Gecko gets to most attention; everyone else just exists.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 02:28 PM   #915
neatoman
Overlord
 
neatoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 11,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
I honestly don't recall the BayTurtles origin well enough to compare... but probably?

Spoiler:
The whole thing is just very quick and light on details. Don isn't even portrayed as a tech geek. His biggest thing seems to be liking anime. At least in the book (and god, I hope they changed these for the movie), there are a lot of really weird references to 90s pop culture. And the weirdest things. The Spice Girls, Phish, Depeche Mode, Party of Five. Probably something else. Like, why do 15 yo boys who live in the sewers in 2023 know about these things above all the other things? It's so weird.

And people are going to haaaate what they did to Bebop and Rocksteady. They are basically just background mutants along with the full lineup of others. Mondo Gecko gets to most attention; everyone else just exists.
Well, about the details I asked about though? What is Stockman's role and is TCRI run by aliens?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 02:32 PM   #916
Barkworm
Draconian leftist ruler
 
Barkworm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,700
The origin sounds dumb of course but almost all Ninja Turtles origin stories are dumb. When I was a kid and saw the first film I cringed when I saw the rat learning Ninijtsu. IDW is probably the only version that makes sense overall.
Barkworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 02:40 PM   #917
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Primer View Post
I know you're reactionary as hell, I just don't see how having a kid character in a kid movie warrants that extreme accusation? Kinda weird to throw out there.
I'm talking about their marketing push, what they're electing to put emphasis on.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 02:41 PM   #918
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Well, about the details I asked about though? What is Stockman's role and is TCRI run by aliens?
Sorry, I skimmed and probably missed your question.

Spoiler:
Stockman is the "father" of Superfly. I don't know if that's biological, but it might be. Basically, he has created Superfly as a baby fly mutant. At the beginning of the movie we see him working on crafting the ooze to make more mutants. A gang of TCRI soldiers attacks his lab and Stockman dies in an explosion. The explosion releases the ooze to the sewers (Turtles and Splinter), and the rest of the lab (all of the other mutants). Superfly becomes the parent of the other mutants (even though he starts out as a literal baby...???)

As for TCRI being aliens, I don't recall that being specifically revealed, but I would expect so.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 03:00 PM   #919
Barkworm
Draconian leftist ruler
 
Barkworm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I'm talking about their marketing push, what they're electing to put emphasis on.
Putting emphasis on the kid angle equals trying to appeal to pedophiles, got it.
Barkworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 03:15 PM   #920
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkworm View Post
Putting emphasis on the kid angle equals trying to appeal to pedophiles, got it.
Plastering Turtle Tots around with a lot of "Hey, guess what we have?? We have TEEEEEEENS!!" seems pretty sus. Like, they think they know there's a big part of the fandom that's into that stuff, and I've been in the fandom long enough to know that they're right. There's some real sickos out there.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bebop, cubedhatesblackpeople, cuckatello, leatherhead, mondo cucko, mondo gecko, rocksteady, tigercuck, wingnut


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.