The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2007, 11:21 PM   #121
ThemanthatwouldbeRaphael
Banned
 
ThemanthatwouldbeRaphael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Seventh Layer of Hell
Posts: 1,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
Ok. First. Let me say, I really don't like comic books. I never really read the Turtle comic books, but jsut took avid readers word for what they have read.

Today, I get the Meet Casey Jones and the Leonardo Prequel.

Honestly. I think the Turtles comics really, really suck. I hate the black and white. The art is aweful, I can draw ten times better than that. On Buslady's site, there is a member there that has artwork of the Turtles that could blow anything you see the "professionals" do out of the water. The wording of comic books suck. And why in the hell is it black and white? Why couldn't the whole Leonardo comic book art be like the one on the cover. Cover looks great, but then you open it, and see work that looks like it was done by a 6 year old. Actually, I have seen better drawings of the Turtles done by 6 year olds than I saw in this comic!

So, I ask, what is it really that makes these comic books so enjoyable to most ninja turtle fans? Does my hatred for the comic book format make me an inferior TMNT fan? I don't like feeling like this, but I almost want my money back on those two comics I got, and I didn't even pay for the freaking things, they were given to me by my cousin as a late birthday present, but she even thought the Turtles comics sucked compared to her beloved X-Men.

Do you people really like the comics over the 2k3 toon, old movies and so forth?
Dude, different artist have different styles. Not everyone is a Jim Lee or a Michael Turner, or an Alex Rose. Some people's styles are very simplistic, like Scott McDaniel, Darwyn Cooke, and Stan Sakai. While others go into heavy detail like Ed Benes and Alex Ross. What matters is they have the basic fundamentals down, and all the TMNT artist have that. Thankfully, these guys aren't Rob Liefields(thats a comic book joke).

Plus there was nothing wrong with the lettering. And the TMNT boooks have almost always been in black and white, it's just they're thing. Alot of other comics do that. Like Usagi Yojimbo and Walking Dead.

And yes, I like the comics over any other incarnation.
ThemanthatwouldbeRaphael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 11:25 PM   #122
soccerstud652
Hench Mutant
 
soccerstud652's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 493
I must admit, the more I read them, the more they grow on me.

I really wish I had read more of these when I was younger.
soccerstud652 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 09:11 AM   #123
Warhorse
Emperor
 
Warhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThemanthatwouldbeRaphael View Post
And yes, I like the comics over any other incarnation.

What is it about the comics that makes them your favorite out of all the incarnations?
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:00 AM   #124
Mecha Cow
Gorgeous and modest too
 
Mecha Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 3,699
Well, considering the TMNT were originally comic book characters, that's not that hard to imagine. Try reading some of the original Mirage issues (You can read the first couple on the official website) before writing off the entire continuity.

Also, I have to ask: Were you referring to Brizuela's artwork in your post? Man, you're going to love Lawson.
__________________
Mecha Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:20 AM   #125
The Shelf
Mad Scientist
 
The Shelf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha Cow View Post
Also, I have to ask: Were you referring to Brizuela's artwork in your post? Man, you're going to love Lawson.
Is that sarcasm?! I hope not because I really wish people would stop saying Lawson's art sucks. I think it looks great (though I admit, I don't like his art in the Don prequel). If people are gonna say his art sucks, they should at least give a legitimate reason why. For example, the only thing I don't like about his art is the way he draws human eyes and lips. Everything else looks great to me, though.

@Warhorse
You really, really need to read some of the main ninja turtles comics. Maybe then you'll understand why the comics are the best incarnation of the turtles that exists. The two issues you picked up are not even part of the main series at all. The best issues you're going to find are done by Eastman and Laird, although there are many other great turtles artists as well. I admit, the black and white takes a little getting used to; but now that I am used to it, I wouldn't want it any other way. Seriously, no joke. If you really just want pretty, colorful pictures, though, go check out the Dreamwave comics based on the 2k3 cartoon.
The Shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 01:52 PM   #126
ThemanthatwouldbeRaphael
Banned
 
ThemanthatwouldbeRaphael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Seventh Layer of Hell
Posts: 1,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
What is it about the comics that makes them your favorite out of all the incarnations?
Well, I really love the creative storytelling, it's not all realisitc, it's wierd and so completley out there, yet strangley believable. I love the cast of characters, and I like the fact that they don't have to hold back in the comics, the FCC has no power there.

Also, I don't have a problem with Lawson's artwork. I mean, I wish the women didn't have such manish looking chins, but otherwise it's good.
ThemanthatwouldbeRaphael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 04:30 PM   #127
Warhorse
Emperor
 
Warhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shelf View Post
Is that sarcasm?! I hope not because I really wish people would stop saying Lawson's art sucks. I think it looks great (though I admit, I don't like his art in the Don prequel). If people are gonna say his art sucks, they should at least give a legitimate reason why. For example, the only thing I don't like about his art is the way he draws human eyes and lips. Everything else looks great to me, though.

@Warhorse
You really, really need to read some of the main ninja turtles comics. Maybe then you'll understand why the comics are the best incarnation of the turtles that exists. The two issues you picked up are not even part of the main series at all. The best issues you're going to find are done by Eastman and Laird, although there are many other great turtles artists as well. I admit, the black and white takes a little getting used to; but now that I am used to it, I wouldn't want it any other way. Seriously, no joke. If you really just want pretty, colorful pictures, though, go check out the Dreamwave comics based on the 2k3 cartoon.
I have read the comics, or let me better explain myself. I've been to the comic books stores 5 times in my life, usually dragged in by my cousin. I have glimpsed in quite a few TMNT comics, but I just don't like the artwork or the way the stories are told. I am a novel reading person, not a comic book reading person. People keep telling me, like you are now, that I need to read the comics. I have checked them out, and I think they suck. No offense to Laird and Eastman, but their comics were not any better. I can't change the way that I am. I can't force myself to like a medium that I just dont. I gave it a try, and I just don't think much of comics. It's nothing personal.

The black and white doesn't help my prejudiceness either. Maybe I could make sense out of the mess that is drawn in the comics if it was color, but they won't change. And I think it's cheap of them not to do the comics in color!
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 05:54 PM   #128
Cascadia
Oregonian in heart & soul
 
Cascadia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 3,731
even if you do not like the comics, I would recommend getting the movie adaptation one that is coming soon in the next week or two.
__________________

Formally known as Scientific freak
Cascadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 06:37 PM   #129
Andres P.
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
Andres P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Buenos Aires
Posts: 72
Hi Warhorse...
So, you're "a novel reading person". I think that that if you want read comicbooks of any type, and enjoying, you should understand the medium first. This is not intended to insult you or something like that. The reality is that not everybody can read comics and understand the mechanics what do our brain to fill the gaps between two static drawings and create "moviment". Believe me, like a profesional, I`ve tried to introduce people to read comics and sometimes people don´t know where to start to read the word ballons or can´t distinguish a flashback from the "real time". That´s it. It`s not for everybody.

Now, you say this :

"I can't change the way that I am. I can't force myself to like a medium that I just dont. I gave it a try, and I just don't think much of comics. It's nothing personal"

My first reaction is "then, what are you doing in here, man". but I noted that you are really curious about why people enjoy the medium so I`m assuming that there is something in you that, maybe.......deep inside, want to start to enjoy a a new medium.

this a good start:
http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-...6078416&sr=1-2

My advice is: read a ton of comics!...a comic store have a veriety of styles and stories. A lot of comics are colored, you know ; ). When you undestand the mediun and that frozen figures starting to move in your mind, so like the characters of the novels speak with a different voice in your head, the fun just start!

A!
__________________
check my blog!

http://andresponce.blogspot.com/

IS GUD DOG?
Andres P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 08:01 PM   #130
ThemanthatwouldbeRaphael
Banned
 
ThemanthatwouldbeRaphael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Seventh Layer of Hell
Posts: 1,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andres P. View Post
Hi Warhorse...
So, you're "a novel reading person". I think that that if you want read comicbooks of any type, and enjoying, you should understand the medium first. This is not intended to insult you or something like that. The reality is that not everybody can read comics and understand the mechanics what do our brain to fill the gaps between two static drawings and create "moviment". Believe me, like a profesional, I`ve tried to introduce people to read comics and sometimes people don´t know where to start to read the word ballons or can´t distinguish a flashback from the "real time". That´s it. It`s not for everybody.

Now, you say this :

"I can't change the way that I am. I can't force myself to like a medium that I just dont. I gave it a try, and I just don't think much of comics. It's nothing personal"

My first reaction is "then, what are you doing in here, man". but I noted that you are really curious about why people enjoy the medium so I`m assuming that there is something in you that, maybe.......deep inside, want to start to enjoy a a new medium.

this a good start:
http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-...6078416&sr=1-2

My advice is: read a ton of comics!...a comic store have a veriety of styles and stories. A lot of comics are colored, you know ; ). When you undestand the mediun and that frozen figures starting to move in your mind, so like the characters of the novels speak with a different voice in your head, the fun just start!

A!
Aw, you beat me too it.
ThemanthatwouldbeRaphael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 08:21 PM   #131
Warhorse
Emperor
 
Warhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,544
LOL Guys.

I do intend to keep an eye out for the TMNT movie comic.

While I do get discouraged when reading comics, I do like the atmosphere that comes with the comic book store and conventions. Some of the nicest people in the world are into comics. I go personally because I like card trading part. And at one time, I was into the Conan the Barbarian comics, but that was a long time ago.

I do kick myself in the butt for not getting the Raph prequel though. I've seen it. But an online friend who knows about my attitude towards comic books took Raph's prequel and made it into a novel version for me. Too bad they didn't do flash backs into how Raph turned into the Nightwatcher int he movie, but I guess that would have pushed the rating to a PG.

Also, judging by the Leo prequel comic (I really cant tell if that's sweat or blood on Leo's sword) I'm assuming Leo did kill that guerilla!
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 09:39 PM   #132
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai
 
Ecto Jedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andres P. View Post
Hi Warhorse...
So, you're "a novel reading person". I think that that if you want read comicbooks of any type, and enjoying, you should understand the medium first. This is not intended to insult you or something like that. The reality is that not everybody can read comics and understand the mechanics what do our brain to fill the gaps between two static drawings and create "moviment". Believe me, like a profesional, I`ve tried to introduce people to read comics and sometimes people don´t know where to start to read the word ballons or can´t distinguish a flashback from the "real time". That´s it. It`s not for everybody.

Now, you say this :

"I can't change the way that I am. I can't force myself to like a medium that I just dont. I gave it a try, and I just don't think much of comics. It's nothing personal"

My first reaction is "then, what are you doing in here, man". but I noted that you are really curious about why people enjoy the medium so I`m assuming that there is something in you that, maybe.......deep inside, want to start to enjoy a a new medium.

this a good start:
http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-...6078416&sr=1-2

My advice is: read a ton of comics!...a comic store have a veriety of styles and stories. A lot of comics are colored, you know ; ). When you undestand the mediun and that frozen figures starting to move in your mind, so like the characters of the novels speak with a different voice in your head, the fun just start!

A!
So you're the artist behind the April prequel comic? Let me be the first to say you did a wonderful job, as with all the other artists and writers who worked on these five issues. I'll definitely keep these collectables for a long time to come!
Ecto Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:40 PM   #133
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!
 
VaughnMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 11,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shelf View Post
Is that sarcasm?! I hope not because I really wish people would stop saying Lawson's art sucks. I think it looks great (though I admit, I don't like his art in the Don prequel). If people are gonna say his art sucks, they should at least give a legitimate reason why. For example, the only thing I don't like about his art is the way he draws human eyes and lips. Everything else looks great to me, though.
Why should they? They have just as much a right to say his new style of art stinks just as much as you do to like it.
I of course think he's gone down hill with his art quite a bit but I'm not gonna walk up to him and spit in his face and be like man you just suck at drawing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
I have read the comics, or let me better explain myself. I've been to the comic books stores 5 times in my life, usually dragged in by my cousin. I have glimpsed in quite a few TMNT comics, but I just don't like the artwork or the way the stories are told. I am a novel reading person, not a comic book reading person. People keep telling me, like you are now, that I need to read the comics. I have checked them out, and I think they suck. No offense to Laird and Eastman, but their comics were not any better. I can't change the way that I am. I can't force myself to like a medium that I just dont. I gave it a try, and I just don't think much of comics. It's nothing personal.
The black and white doesn't help my prejudiceness either. Maybe I could make sense out of the mess that is drawn in the comics if it was color, but they won't change. And I think it's cheap of them not to do the comics in color!
Ok then my question to you is then if you don't like them, don't ever see yourself changing your opinion on them, hate the art, the stories, and the black and white why did you bring this up at all?
Your not a bad fan you just have your own mind something I think you should be commended for not bashed or repeatedly told what to do or try.
If you don't like something you just don't and that the end of the story.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:02 PM   #134
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai
 
Ecto Jedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putrescent View Post
Why should they? They have just as much a right to say his new style of art stinks just as much as you do to like it.
I of course think he's gone down hill with his art quite a bit but I'm not gonna walk up to him and spit in his face and be like man you just suck at drawing.
Lawson...Didn't he illustrate the comic book adaptations for the first two films? I love the art in those.
Ecto Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:06 PM   #135
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!
 
VaughnMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 11,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecto Jedi View Post
Lawson...Didn't he illustrate the comic book adaptations for the first two films? I love the art in those.
Yes, like I said quite a bit of is older art is really nice and fits with the rest of the mirage artists underground style.
One of my least favorite Archie comics was also drawn by him.
But I'm not home to seriously look at my comics so I'd have to look and see if the theory I've come up with about it's not him so much as it is who's style is being inked over his pencils.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 12:01 AM   #136
Brandatello
Hench Mutant
 
Brandatello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: CNY
Posts: 364
im thinking bout buying these with my b-day cash....any of you heard of ravenswood comic store...if so do u think i will be able to find them there?...btw new sig and avatar anyone like?
__________________
Brandatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 12:06 AM   #137
soccerstud652
Hench Mutant
 
soccerstud652's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandatello View Post
im thinking bout buying these with my b-day cash....any of you heard of ravenswood comic store...if so do u think i will be able to find them there?...btw new sig and avatar anyone like?
Not familiar with that store but I have seen all 4 on eBay's "Buy it Now" for $2.99 each with $2.50 combined shipping.

As for the sig...SWEET!
soccerstud652 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:27 AM   #138
Andres P.
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
Andres P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Buenos Aires
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecto Jedi View Post
So you're the artist behind the April prequel comic? Let me be the first to say you did a wonderful job, as with all the other artists and writers who worked on these five issues. I'll definitely keep these collectables for a long time to come!
Thanks!

A!
__________________
check my blog!

http://andresponce.blogspot.com/

IS GUD DOG?
Andres P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:57 PM   #139
Jon
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,356
Another update.

Just checked Diamond's list for this week's releases -- the Donatello Movie Prequel *and* the Movie Adaptation are on it!
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:02 PM   #140
Cascadia
Oregonian in heart & soul
 
Cascadia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 3,731
Hooray!!! Time to shell out $8.25 for me. Movie adaption $5 and the Donatello one is $3.25.
__________________

Formally known as Scientific freak

Last edited by Cascadia; 04-09-2007 at 03:10 PM.
Cascadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
prequel comics


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.