The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2009, 01:29 PM   #61
junkboy
Hench Mutant
 
junkboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Turkey
Posts: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post




That caused some dark bitter coffee i drink while i read EC Archives Tales From the Crypt to come out of my nose.
Thanks Andrew.
__________________
junkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:19 PM   #62
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!
 
VaughnMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 11,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
What are you smokin', bro?
I don't smoke nothin' bro.
I mean I don't think people really want me to go into detail about what I don't like as it's just minor gripes.
But I'll give you one to wet your appetite, first page Casey looks female to me.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:39 PM   #63
Raph'N'Roll
Hench Mutant
 
Raph'N'Roll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ireland
Posts: 313
Another cool issue, Hun is one scary MOFO, makes animated Hun look like miss Daisy!
I wish this story was continued next month though, sometimes the one shot aspect of Tales leaves you with the feeling that much more of a particular story could be told.
Tristan, just wondering if there's a strict one shot policy with Tales, well maybe with the odd exception?
It would be cool to have a couple of three part stories at least.

I disagree with you Vaughn didn't think Casey looked like a girl on that page, but maybe a bit oriental lol.
That's getting petty though, I really like Harmon's gritty style!
Raph'N'Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:48 PM   #64
TristanHuwJones
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
TristanHuwJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raph'N'Roll View Post
Another cool issue, Hun is one scary MOFO, makes animated Hun look like miss Daisy!
I wish this story was continued next month though, sometimes the one shot aspect of Tales leaves you with the feeling that much more of a particular story could be told.
Tristan, just wondering if there's a strict one shot policy with Tales, well maybe with the odd exception?
It would be cool to have a couple of three part stories at least.
Thanks Raph, Dan and I were talking about this just the other day actually. I think having the one-shot Tales stories is fine, so long as there's the odd mix-up (2-parters, 3-parters) and as long as there's an ongoing that these stories can serve as back-ups to. Unfortunately, with Volume 4 being on a loose schedule, you can't really do that.

Unfortunately, the current policy is that Tales is a done-in-one book. All of my stories will continue on from each other, but you should be able to read each on its own (as per the policy).

I think Turtles would dominate in a format similar to what Dark Horse does with Hellboy and BPRD -- self contained minis that ultimately follow on from each other. You can pick up any #1 and enjoy the story, but you can be a long running fan and follow the meta-story being told through the minis. Have a 4 parter, then maybe a one shot, then maybe a 2 or 3 parter, and so forth and so forth. You could tell some great, longer stories, as well as the fun "done-in-ones" Tales currently does.

It's Pete's call though, so if he digs such an idea or sees that the fans are up for it then something might happen, but as for this year, Tales is what it is. I think there's a meeting coming up soon to work out what will be happening next year, so who knows what'll happen?
__________________
Still alive (somehow)...
tristansbones.bsky.social
and instagram @ instagram.com/tristans_bones
TristanHuwJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:42 AM   #65
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!
 
VaughnMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 11,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raph'N'Roll View Post
I disagree with you Vaughn didn't think Casey looked like a girl on that page, but maybe a bit oriental lol.
That's getting petty though, I really like Harmon's gritty style!
And this is why I don't share my opinions on here anymore, like I said it was a few small nitpicks.
As I said this issue has been better than anything to come out of Mirage in a long time and they brought Hun into the series perfectly.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:08 PM   #66
discordiatookie
facehugger
 
discordiatookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
Posts: 2,817
Absolutely loved this issue. Definitely a favourite.

Wish I could read through it right now and point out my favourite parts. However, i'm at my sister's place, doing a spot of babysitting, and the comic is back home..

I have a memory like a siv, forgetting things pretty much alla the time. Which sucks, as I would love to dissect the issue on this here forum, right now.

But yeah - top issue!!
__________________
Oh Discordia! Charyou Tree! Come, Reap!
Don't tell us to grow up and out of it
I got my cloak and dagger in a bar room brawl

You actually trying to read this tiny text? Damn, you're dedicated! This is all just for effect you know...

original TMNT art collection
discordiatookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:57 PM   #67
Andres P.
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
Andres P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Buenos Aires
Posts: 72
Another highly positive review here!

http://arisasks.blogspot.com/

Spread the word, people!

A!
__________________
check my blog!

http://andresponce.blogspot.com/

IS GUD DOG?
Andres P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:18 AM   #68
R-iZZy
The Long Con
 
R-iZZy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: G'ville, FL (Gator Country), USA
Posts: 3,007
I finally got around to reading this. I've been behind on Tales for nearly half a year since my favorite comic book shop closed down. Got all the issues and am almost caught up. But this issue was the one I was most looking forward to, because I remembered how taken away I was after reading the Tristan Jones/Paul Harmon combo for the first time with issue 36.

I know a lot of folks were opposed to Mirage bringing elements from the cartoon series into the Mirage universe, but this had to be the most perfect execution of it thus far. Hun was brought in with sort of his own identity in this issue. He's no lackey for Shredder, he's leader of the Purple Dragons; a violent, murderous, vindictive one that far overshadows the one from the animated series. I like that his history with Casey and his family remains, but this Hun is definitely in a different league from the one in the animated series. He's definitely a lot more for the mature audience.

The writing in this was superb once again. I'm fully convinced Tristan Jones would handle TMNT just fine in creating plots if he were trusted to do things beyond comics for the Turtles. The darkness and grittiness in Harmon's art matches the maturity and grittiness in the storyline.

Seriously, I wish Harmon and Jones are given a mini-series to work together with in the future. These guys are easily my favorite writer-artist combo for Tales.
__________________


R-iZZy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:08 AM   #69
TristanHuwJones
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
TristanHuwJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,419
Thanks Riz, I've just seen the inks for #59, and Paul excels once again! Hun is pimpin', Lin is up to no good, and the new villain is as insidious as one would hope! There are even a few cameos towards the end which I'm all in love with (go check out gogreenmachine.org or gogreenmachine.wordpress.com for a sneak peek!), and I'll be putting a teaser of the new protagonist up on my own blog shortly!

Things are coming back around, so people are going to want to dig out #36 and #50 when #59 and #61 come around...

Which reminds me... #59 really is a great starting point for anyone wanting to get into the TMNT comics, and it's in Previews right now, so spread the word and get people buying this thing. There's some important **** going down in this issue...

Oh, and regarding the mini, Paul and I have something in mind that we're both REALLY eager to do (it was actually something removed from #56 because I felt it deserved more than just a panel, but it is definitely mentioned...), and Dan liked the sound of it, so people just need to make noise and let them know at Mirage that you want this stuff! Hopefully the news of the movie being all comic based will allow for some more cool comic **** in the future...
__________________
Still alive (somehow)...
tristansbones.bsky.social
and instagram @ instagram.com/tristans_bones
TristanHuwJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 04:34 PM   #70
Aztec General
Mad Scientist
 
Aztec General's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristanHuwJones View Post

Oh, and regarding the mini, Paul and I have something in mind that we're both REALLY eager to do (it was actually something removed from #56 because I felt it deserved more than just a panel, but it is definitely mentioned...), and Dan liked the sound of it, so people just need to make noise and let them know at Mirage that you want this stuff! Hopefully the news of the movie being all comic based will allow for some more cool comic **** in the future...
Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!!! I've been calling for Paul and you to have your own series for a while now.

Let's make some noise people!
__________________
Aztec General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:50 PM   #71
trustno1
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 117
yeah i'd love to see a mini too! the previews on your blog are awesom!
trustno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:02 AM   #72
BigApple3AM
Mad Scientist
 
BigApple3AM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Supermarket Aisle
Posts: 1,635
I know I'm extremely late, I'm JUST finally getting around to reading my comics from like 2-3 months ago.

I wasn't really excited after reading the bio. I thought introducing Hun into the mirage verse would be a good idea on paper but come off as cheesy in the actual comic. And I think if anyone else did this issue it would have been.

This issue was fantastic. I've read every TMNT comic and every issue of tales and this is the best issue since the last Eastman/Laird issue from Vol 1, which means A LOT since I've enjoyed almost every issue of every series in at least some form, although some of them were a bit of a chore to get through.

I don't want more of these guys issue's in tales though. I want them to get their own separate series so I don't have to wait forever for another issue. I can't believe someone actually managed to make Hun a badass. Casey was awesome, and the little subtleties like getting a hair cut just make the characters seem more realistic.

Issue #59 or whatever can't get here fast enough.
BigApple3AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:52 AM   #73
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,672
Got this one too. Hun was friggin awesome. Doesn't take long for him to get back on top of things. This guy is a ****in monster. The manpower, the influence, his sheer size and muscle alone. Damn, he beat Casey to an inch of his life both in the past AND in present time. The art style and inking was aweome, and even though the turtles weren't there for long, it was cool they got a few action shots.

But wow, already Hun got the drop on Leo and was about to finish him off. Seeing Raph drive his sai through his ankle was ****in sweet. I can't wait to see how this story pans out. Especially with the mystery behind that scarred woman. And what exactly did Hun do to the Shredder?
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:38 AM   #74
TristanHuwJones
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
TristanHuwJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Got this one too. Hun was friggin awesome. Doesn't take long for him to get back on top of things. This guy is a ****in monster. The manpower, the influence, his sheer size and muscle alone. Damn, he beat Casey to an inch of his life both in the past AND in present time.
It was originally going to go the other way around, and Casey was going to beat Hun within an inch of his life, but you gotta let the bad guy win once in a while, and realistically, someone like Hun isn't going to lose easily!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
The art style and inking was aweome, and even though the turtles weren't there for long, it was cool they got a few action shots.
Yeah, I figured you get to see the Turtles every month, and it's such a rich world that really deserves to let some other aspects shine for a bit. Once you bring these things out, then you swing the focus back to the Turtles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
But wow, already Hun got the drop on Leo and was about to finish him off. Seeing Raph drive his sai through his ankle was ****in sweet. I can't wait to see how this story pans out.
Ninja skills are all well and good, but when you're fighting someone like Hun, a lot of it comes down to fighting fire with fire (if you catch my drift).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Especially with the mystery behind that scarred woman.
Well, given what everyone knows about her now, I'm interested in seeing what people think come November.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
And what exactly did Hun do to the Shredder?
Well, you saw what he did to Casey...

Paul and I have the entire thing planned out. From the VERY beginning to the very end (of this story). At one point we were tossing around the idea of doing a graphic novel or mini series which went into everything that led up to the Shredder becoming the dominant criminal force in NYC, and you'd see exactly what Hun did, why he hates the Foot Clan more than the Turtles, who King Cobra is and how it all ties together. The basic idea behind it was one where Saki would be the story's protagonist, but in a similar way that Norman Osborn is being presented in the Marvel U these days -- you kinda like him, but he still does some nasty **** that makes sure you never forget who he really is. Hun, Hamato Yoshi and King Cobra would've all been antagonists and it would've touched on a few things that come up in later volumes (Stockman's nanotech developments for example).
I think when things started moving forward with the movie though, it got put on the backburner and eventually forgotten about. Hopefully there'll be an avenue for it, depending on what happens come May next year.
__________________
Still alive (somehow)...
tristansbones.bsky.social
and instagram @ instagram.com/tristans_bones
TristanHuwJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:40 AM   #75
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,672
Here's hopin, cause all the stuff you just said is the most awesome thing ever. Would be full-circle if you end that story with Shredder on his way to face the TMNT....
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:00 AM   #76
odupianist
Mad Scientist
 
odupianist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,744
Tristan, if that graphic novel does not happen with Saki being the protagonist, I might have to hunt you down.... I have been meaning to make it to Australia.
odupianist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:52 AM   #77
TristanHuwJones
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
TristanHuwJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by odupianist View Post
Tristan, if that graphic novel does not happen with Saki being the protagonist, I might have to hunt you down.... I have been meaning to make it to Australia.
Not my call to make, ergo, wrong person to hunt down
Still, come to Australia though!
__________________
Still alive (somehow)...
tristansbones.bsky.social
and instagram @ instagram.com/tristans_bones
TristanHuwJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comic discussion, tales of the tmnt


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.