The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 02:06 PM   #1
Canadian Turtle
Mad Scientist
 
Canadian Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Small town Ontario, West of Toronto
Posts: 1,257
Comic Cases.

I am sure this has been spoken about somewhere on here... so forgive me.

I am looking for hard shell comic cases like the CGC ones for my first line of Turtle comics. Do these exist without spending 25 plus per book with the CGC?? If so where can I get em?
Canadian Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
Archon_Turtle
I'm SUPER into myself
 
Archon_Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Turtle View Post
I am sure this has been spoken about somewhere on here... so forgive me.

I am looking for hard shell comic cases like the CGC ones for my first line of Turtle comics. Do these exist without spending 25 plus per book with the CGC?? If so where can I get em?
The CGC Themselves will not sell their cases so that they do not risk confusion between a graded book and a not graded book. At any rate, you may want to consider just using cheap picture frames.

Or there are these: http://www.millcase.com/
Archon_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:06 PM   #3
BoggleKng
Mad Scientist
 
BoggleKng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Boston, Ma
Posts: 1,224
I know that you can get top loaders with a slide on top but they arent as hard and stiffed at the CGC cases... Looking for something currently for the earlier Magazine sized comics..
__________________
You guys mind telling me what you're doing to my little green pal over there, hm? -Casey Jones, TMNT movie...
BoggleKng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:21 PM   #4
Samhain
Dare To Be Stupid!
 
Samhain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Posts: 4,752
I know someone who keeps a higher end comics in these cases. Never used them myself though.

http://www.comicbookcases.com/

Last edited by Samhain; 03-10-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Samhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:33 PM   #5
Canadian Turtle
Mad Scientist
 
Canadian Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Small town Ontario, West of Toronto
Posts: 1,257
Wow... seems kinda strange that it is so hard to get good cases. The open topped ones I have seen in stores, but they are kinda flimsy and don't seem very good. Otherwise some of these cases don't seem to have a larger size, which sucks.

Thanks guys!
Canadian Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:40 PM   #6
Ninja_Shoe_Repair
Hench Mutant
 
Ninja_Shoe_Repair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 291
You could always just buy some CGC issues. I think they're a great investment and not only preserve the book, but also is the best way to display them and keep their value. Right now, a non CGC graded book isn't worth much. A high CGC grade can turn a book maybe worth $50 (like issue 2) into something worth $600 - $700.

I personally have issues 2 - 10 of the original mirage run all with CGC 9.8 with white pages. I am the only one to have issue 9 in that high grade.

It makes sure that the books will only go up in value over the years because of their high grade. I like knowing I own a very high quality copy of each of the original issue run.

There are lesser grades that sell for reasonable prices. It's not for everyone though, I understand. Just my two cents.
Ninja_Shoe_Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:10 PM   #7
Canadian Turtle
Mad Scientist
 
Canadian Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Small town Ontario, West of Toronto
Posts: 1,257
I also agree about the CGC, I just can't afford it. I am concerned however because I have all the over sized in absolutely perfect condition all first printings (except issue 1, thats a 2nd). And one of them cover misprints of number 3. I want to preserve them, but am a little concerned about their current location.
Canadian Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #8
Samhain
Dare To Be Stupid!
 
Samhain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Posts: 4,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Turtle View Post
I also agree about the CGC, I just can't afford it. I am concerned however because I have all the over sized in absolutely perfect condition all first printings (except issue 1, thats a 2nd). And one of them cover misprints of number 3. I want to preserve them, but am a little concerned about their current location.
How are you storing them? If you have them in a Mylar sleeve, Acid fee backing board, the little acid paper thingy that goes inside the book and in a good comic box they are fine.
Samhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:21 AM   #9
Canadian Turtle
Mad Scientist
 
Canadian Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Small town Ontario, West of Toronto
Posts: 1,257
Currently they are in an acid free large portfolio as I did not have large sleeves. What is this little acid paper thing that goes inside? I've never heard of this!?
Canadian Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:21 AM   #10
Luzmagica
A Magic Light Dudette!
 
Luzmagica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Spain.
Posts: 3,878
Those cases seems to me a very good idea....I supousse they have differents sizes for different format/size-comics.....I mean...for example number 100 of Uncanny X-Men is very fat comic or Ultimate X-Men are bigger comics that others....
Any idea how much money those cases cost???
__________________
Luzmagica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:38 PM   #11
Grendel
Foot Soldier
 
Grendel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 242
I would look for some mylar sleeves with some acid free backing boards. They are considered "Archival" quality.. The paper they are talking about is something that cgc puts in each comic to absorb acid from the book itself... I havent seen those for sale but if someone wants to post a link to some I would appreciate it!
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:08 PM   #12
Archon_Turtle
I'm SUPER into myself
 
Archon_Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Turtle View Post
Currently they are in an acid free large portfolio as I did not have large sleeves. What is this little acid paper thing that goes inside? I've never heard of this!?
It's called MicroChamber paper
Archon_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:12 PM   #13
Grendel
Foot Soldier
 
Grendel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 242
Thanks Archon!!!!!!!!
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.