The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2010, 02:30 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,396
The Solson martial arts training stuff

You know, it just occurred to me that I've never actually opened up any of these... I've just seen the covers and have never been interested to buy them.

What's inside? Actualy how-tos on martial arts? Any stories?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:48 PM   #2
Ninjinister
無問題
 
Ninjinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moesko Island, WA
Posts: 14,348
Almost definitely certain that they just took a pre-existing '80's martial arts manual and copypasta'd drawings of the Turtles doing the moves.
__________________
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:13 PM   #3
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ninjinister View Post
Almost definitely certain that they just took a pre-existing '80's martial arts manual and copypasta'd drawings of the Turtles doing the moves.
I have the michelangelo book & thats basically about right. If you can get em, they're worth having (if only for the nifty art). Its just a ton of poses with paragraphs about certain fighting styles jammed in between. I suppose you could learn from it but this color-by-number karate doesn't make me feel confident enough in mastering the "Wooden buzzsaw" technique.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:34 PM   #4
Master Splinter
幸 - 愛 - 思う
 
Master Splinter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 2,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I have the michelangelo book & thats basically about right. If you can get em, they're worth having (if only for the nifty art). Its just a ton of poses with paragraphs about certain fighting styles jammed in between. I suppose you could learn from it but this color-by-number karate doesn't make me feel confident enough in mastering the "Wooden buzzsaw" technique.
LOL... Yeah I studied these manuals and made it to the final round of Mortal Kombat...

In all reality they are pretty cool to have for the art inside... No stories though...

-ms
__________________
Master Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:49 PM   #5
Cipher
Foot Elite
 
Cipher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,454
I have the Michelangelo one as well.

Some interesting art. Buy for novelty or collection factor only though.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:46 PM   #6
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,480
Here's some great page scans courtesy of tOkKa:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/terribl...7604741707559/
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:57 PM   #7
Venom
Space Knight
 
Venom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,637
I got them all from Mile High a few weeks back during a sale. Keep an eye out and snag them during another sale, even though they're not terribly high.
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:56 PM   #8
Eiko
Aussie and Proud
 
Eiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Foot HQ Australia
Posts: 1,816
I have Leonardo Michelangelo and Donatello only missing Raphael. There are a lot of cool stuff inside of them worth having for your collection.
__________________
Eiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:56 AM   #9
Luzmagica
A Magic Light Dudette!
 
Luzmagica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Spain.
Posts: 3,878
I got the four ninja turtles issues (Leo, Don ,Raph, Mike)...I like a lot the draws, its not any story inside, had some indications with every draw, but they are not very useful if you are looking for learning martial arts !!!
__________________
Luzmagica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:15 PM   #10
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored
 
***First of Two Latin Kings***'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: The Farm That Time Forgot
Posts: 8,841
I currently have three of these for sale, guys. I'm looking to get $10 a piece including shipping. See my comics for sale thread in buying/selling/trading.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets



International shipping assistance: [email protected]
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:26 PM   #11
Oniri
Foot Soldier
 
Oniri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 151
The scans look awesome. i would definately pick one up just for the art. I would find it kind difficult to learn martial arts from it, specifically some of the weapon tricks. It's a little confusing when your demonstrator has only three fingers, for example Rapheal's sai flip....
__________________

Check out my fanart! http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=31376
Oniri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:02 PM   #12
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored
 
***First of Two Latin Kings***'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: The Farm That Time Forgot
Posts: 8,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oniri View Post
The scans look awesome. i would definately pick one up just for the art.
I have two left.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets



International shipping assistance: [email protected]
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:35 PM   #13
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by ***CJJ*** View Post
I currently have three of these for sale, guys. I'm looking to get $10 a piece including shipping. See my comics for sale thread in buying/selling/trading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ***CJJ*** View Post
I have two left.
Damn, dude. Contribute to threads with comments that aren't trying to sell things or don't comment at all.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:45 PM   #14
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored
 
***First of Two Latin Kings***'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: The Farm That Time Forgot
Posts: 8,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Damn, dude. Contribute to threads with comments that aren't trying to sell things or don't comment at all.
Um...if people are talking about wanting to buy them, then what's the problem with making them aware that I have them? One sold earlier today; I was just pointing out that I have two left. Raphael and Donatello.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets



International shipping assistance: [email protected]
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:47 PM   #15
cartoonistaaron
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 737
I have the How to Draw book (or one of them - not sure how many there were) and the Donatello training manual. The art's not bad, but how am I supposed to learn bo technique from a guy who only has three fingers?
cartoonistaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:26 PM   #16
discordiatookie
facehugger
 
discordiatookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
Posts: 2,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartoonistaaron View Post
The art's not bad, but how am I supposed to learn bo technique from a guy who only has three fingers?
Easy. Just do this with your hands. And hey presto! You too can have three fingers!

__________________
Oh Discordia! Charyou Tree! Come, Reap!
Don't tell us to grow up and out of it
I got my cloak and dagger in a bar room brawl

You actually trying to read this tiny text? Damn, you're dedicated! This is all just for effect you know...

original TMNT art collection
discordiatookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:49 PM   #17
Venom
Space Knight
 
Venom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartoonistaaron View Post
I have the How to Draw book (or one of them - not sure how many there were) and the Donatello training manual. The art's not bad, but how am I supposed to learn bo technique from a guy who only has three fingers?
I know of two version: a light cover and a dark cover. Does anyone know which is the first printing?
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.