The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2011, 01:55 PM   #1
Cowabunga Carl
Mad Scientist
 
Cowabunga Carl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,384
#5 What do we know?

Looking around the board it seems we don't know anything about it. :-/ It comes out next week, what do you think is so spoilerish about it that we don't have details about it yet?
Cowabunga Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:15 PM   #2
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,218
I'd bet the farm that there will be flashbacks. I don't know if every one's aware of this yet, but Dan Duncan's doing half the art, and the Santolouco guy who did that A cover is doing the other half.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
Cowabunga Carl
Mad Scientist
 
Cowabunga Carl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,384
THey talked about split art duty. A flash back makes since in that line of info but it has never been confirmed that it is a flashback. What kind of flashback would it be though?
Cowabunga Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:20 PM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hob View Post
Looking around the board it seems we don't know anything about it. :-/ It comes out next week, what do you think is so spoilerish about it that we don't have details about it yet?
Their past lives with Splinter will be revealed and/or they'll get the rainbow bandannas.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:28 PM   #5
Cowabunga Carl
Mad Scientist
 
Cowabunga Carl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,384
I was just hoping there would be something more profound that we thought we would get. Both of those seem kind of like, "Yeah we know." Nothing spoilerish.
Cowabunga Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,218
We know nothing about their past lives. And we're supposedly getting a really good explanation for the multicolored masks.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:40 PM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hob View Post
I was just hoping there would be something more profound that we thought we would get. Both of those seem kind of like, "Yeah we know." Nothing spoilerish.
What do you mean? "Their past lives with Splinter" alone is a pretty big deal and we have absolutely no idea how it plays out.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:02 PM   #8
Cowabunga Carl
Mad Scientist
 
Cowabunga Carl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,384
I mean we knew that would be reviled, but not to what extent their "past lives" matter. To me that's not a spoiler since we knew it would have to come at some point after Splinter told them they didn't remember their old life and he would explain later.

The color bandana was spilled awhile ago when Tristan was talking about Infestation.

But they said something spoilerish was in issue 5 that they couldn't revel anything about the issue.
Cowabunga Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:25 PM   #9
Matches Malone
Stone Warrior
 
Matches Malone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: California
Posts: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hob View Post
I mean we knew that would be reviled, but not to what extent their "past lives" matter. To me that's not a spoiler since we knew it would have to come at some point after Splinter told them they didn't remember their old life and he would explain later.

The color bandana was spilled awhile ago when Tristan was talking about Infestation.

But they said something spoilerish was in issue 5 that they couldn't revel anything about the issue.
We also know that there will be a new character introduced in this issue and that's why Kevin Eastman's cover for #6 won't be revealed until #5 is out.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:57 PM   #10
Cowabunga Carl
Mad Scientist
 
Cowabunga Carl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,384
See that's what I'm curious about. What character can it be that would be so secretive? I mean could it be a picture of Krang on the cover? Or is it another new character?
Cowabunga Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:05 PM   #11
marcelangelo
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,471
it could also be the shredder on kevin's cover, couldn't it?....their past lives with splinter hopefully include the story around yoshi and saki somehow....
marcelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:31 PM   #12
Donnie
Something from the Past
 
Donnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hob View Post
See that's what I'm curious about. What character can it be that would be so secretive? I mean could it be a picture of Krang on the cover? Or is it another new character?
Krang's on the cover of...what is it, #6 or #7? I can't recall. Could be Shredder. I kinda have a feeling they may wait til #10 for Shredder, kinda like in Volume 1 when Shredder "came back from the dead" in #10.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:39 PM   #13
AquaParade
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
Krang's on the cover of...what is it, #6 or #7? I can't recall. Could be Shredder. I kinda have a feeling they may wait til #10 for Shredder, kinda like in Volume 1 when Shredder "came back from the dead" in #10.

My best guess is the cover may have The Shredder on it.

You could be right, but I wouldn't think that Tom would curve his timeline just to pay tribute to the Shredder's reappearance in issue #10. To be fair, I don't know Tom, so I could very well be wrong.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:59 PM   #14
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
Krang's on the cover of...what is it, #6 or #7? I can't recall. Could be Shredder. I kinda have a feeling they may wait til #10 for Shredder, kinda like in Volume 1 when Shredder "came back from the dead" in #10.
It was 7.

6 had the TMNT from the first-person view of a Mouser.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #15
Matches Malone
Stone Warrior
 
Matches Malone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: California
Posts: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
My best guess is the cover may have The Shredder on it.

You could be right, but I wouldn't think that Tom would curve his timeline just to pay tribute to the Shredder's reappearance in issue #10. To be fair, I don't know Tom, so I could very well be wrong.
I wouldn't think so either, but based on the synopses and covers we've seen so far, it seems that #5 will be a standalone story, and #6-8 is the next 3 issue story arc focusing on unleashing Baxter's new weapon (aka mousers) and Krang entering the picture more with him finally arriving to New York by issue #8. To introduce Shredder in that story arc might pull from the focus, so while I'm sure he will be alluded to in those issues, he may very well fully enter into the fray by the next multi-issue arc which would assumedly include #10 and thus neatly work out as a nice homage to the original Mirage.

Sure he may not even show up by then, but it would probably be foolish to wait much longer as I'm sure they are aware that everyone is anticipating his character. It works out well if you think about it: First story arc introduces the turtles, second arc builds up anticipation to the Shredder, and the third story arc finally has him come in full force. I mean, once you have the Shredder, mousers probably won't seem as epic in comparison, so it's best to do their story first to help build things up. What do y'all think?

Last edited by Matches Malone; 12-18-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:52 PM   #16
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,806
We've already seen Krang (or rather, his robot body), he's the huge guy with the scarf in front of his mouth.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:59 PM   #17
AquaParade
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
I wouldn't think so either, but based on the synopses and covers we've seen so far, it seems that #5 will be a standalone story, and #6-8 is the next 3 issue story arc focusing on unleashing Baxter's new weapon (aka mousers) and Krang entering the picture more with him finally arriving to New York by issue #8. To introduce Shredder in that story arc might pull from the focus, so while I'm sure he will be alluded to in those issues, he may very well fully enter into the fray by the next multi-issue arc which would assumedly include #10 and thus neatly work out as a nice homage to the original Mirage.

Sure he may not even show up by then, but it would probably be foolish to wait much longer as I'm sure they are aware that everyone is anticipating his character. It works out well if you think about it: First story arc introduces the turtles, second arc builds up anticipation to the Shredder, and the third story arc finally has him come in full force. I mean, once you have the Shredder, mousers probably won't seem as epic in comparison, so it's best to do their story first to help build things up. What do y'all think?
Great observations. I wouldn't be surprised if your outline is spot-on.

I really hope to see the Shredder have a lasting impact on the turtles. Give us a reason to fear this dude!
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:25 PM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I really hope to see the Shredder have a lasting impact on the turtles. Give us a reason to fear this dude!
I'm sure they have that covered. My hope is that whatever Shredder's standing is:

1) He's not some kind of Utrom (not too worried about this one)

And

2) He's not too tied to Krang or anything weird like that. Shredder and the Foot are the "big enemies" of the TMNT, always have been... and no matter how far out their other enemies or groups of enemies may go (and between General Krang and Baxter and their small army of mutants in the making, it sounds like "far out" enemies are pretty well covered), that faction should be fairly "down to earth." The Raphael special creates some worry to this end. I mean, can you imagine the Mirage Oroku Saki employing guys like Bebop and Rocksteady?
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:47 PM   #19
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,806
I'd actually quite like it if Shredder and Krang were enemies/rivals in this universe. It would make quite an interesting twist as opposed to them always working together like in the original series and Archie.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:02 AM   #20
Matches Malone
Stone Warrior
 
Matches Malone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: California
Posts: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I'm sure they have that covered. My hope is that whatever Shredder's standing is:

1) He's not some kind of Utrom (not too worried about this one)

And

2) He's not too tied to Krang or anything weird like that. Shredder and the Foot are the "big enemies" of the TMNT, always have been... and no matter how far out their other enemies or groups of enemies may go (and between General Krang and Baxter and their small army of mutants in the making, it sounds like "far out" enemies are pretty well covered), that faction should be fairly "down to earth." The Raphael special creates some worry to this end. I mean, can you imagine the Mirage Oroku Saki employing guys like Bebop and Rocksteady?
Though I'm likely not as concerned as you, these are pretty much my exact sentiments. What really made Shredder and the Foot work well, in my opinion, is that they were a legitimate ninja clan to be taken seriously. I'm okay with some ties to the science fiction realm since it is TMNT (we see some funky robots in RTNY and CAW at times, not to mention worm cloning), but as you stated, I hope this is kept to a minimum and done only when it is absolutely necessary.

While I believe there can be some potential and legitimacy in employing street-knowledgeable thugs to further the Foot's ends, it is a bit worrisome if that is what Raphael #1 is suggesting is happening, as it will be very tricky to maintain their clan's authenticity if it becomes overrun with too many non-ninja elements. Independent contractors are one thing, but if they become part of the clan, it could make the Foot look like a joke to welcome such unrefined and undisciplined hoodlums. I am hoping the Shredder would only keep company with the likes of such ruffians begrudgingly and no longer than the situation would necessitate. 4Kids managed a fairly well balanced approach to this kind of "working relationship" between Shredder and Baxter. However, I do believe this is all in good hands with Tom, Kevin, and Dan.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.