The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 11:56 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,792
Does the 1 month wait between issues kill the pacing?

I just re-read IDW issues #1-5 back to back and I realize how much better it flows once you have all the issues together. Instead of being this origin story stretched out over 5 months, you can now read it in one sitting and appreciate this new universe IDW has set up.

But the 1 month wait is starting to be a killer. So much hasn't even happened yet:

- April STILL hasn't even met the turtles
- The Turtles STILL haven't fought any Foot Soldiers
- Shredder and Krang have still only been alluded to off-screen, no real full debut yet
- The main story is taking a while to set up, that it makes me wonder how long it'll take to see secondary characters like Leatherhead, Rat King, the Triceratons, Karai, etc.


One thing I like about the micro's is it speeds the story along, after all Raph's did debut Alopex and Bebop/Rocksteady. I hope IDW makes more specials after the one-shots and Infestation to speed along things.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:59 PM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,397
It doesn't help, but that's true of any monthly comic. And there's a lot of material for IDW to cover.

I wish IDW TMNT had more pages per issue as much as anyone else, but I'd rather they keep things at the pace they're doing it rather than try to REALLY scrunch things down into the page count they're allotted.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:31 AM   #3
Slap-Happy
Bad Boy
 
Slap-Happy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,911
Be happy that the pace isn't something like Ultimate Spider-Man where we aren't even introduced to Spider-Man proper until six issues in.

Overall, I'm very happy with what IDW has done in such a short amount of time compared to other comics.
Slap-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:38 AM   #4
Metropoliskid41
Stone Warrior
 
Metropoliskid41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tundra
Posts: 886
Yeah it seems like the wait on this book kills me so much more than most of the other comics, but to me that just means that its such a damn good book. I usually read the issue the morning it comes out and then go back and reread the issue before it and it again to have it really soak in. That helps it flow better for me at least. The book is awesome, and I've really dug the pacing, it seems each issue ends on a cliffhanger, like a chapter in a novel, and even when an arc finishes it is still just a small piece of the overall puzzle. That can be frustrating to some, but to me its perfect. It really has me gripped and craving for more, just like Action Comics, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Green Lantern, and Resurrection Man (some of DC's finest in the New 52). So really I think this book is perfect pacing wise, but at the same time I can't wait to finally get some answers to my questions about Shredder and Krang.
__________________
-------------------
Metropoliskid41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #5
Plasticplayhouse
the gray ghost
 
Plasticplayhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North East
Posts: 2,194
the month long wait isnt too bad. sure i would like to have it more often, but thats just because its so good. if the artists and writers had to crunch anymore it may have an adverse affect on the quality. knowing that, i'm content with the way it is.
__________________
Want to see more of my custom figures?
http://plasticplayhouse.deviantart.com/
Plasticplayhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #6
Donnie
Something from the Past
 
Donnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,256
I'm just impatient by nature, so of course the wait sucks. But the quality is well worth it!
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
pannoni1
Foot Elite
 
pannoni1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 3,447
Given that's the standard wait between issues of most main comics, it's just the proper pacing for any established franchise. These forums are buzzing with activity right up until the next issue comes out, and as each additional issue comes out, we see some of the older threads get bumped based on the new plots.

Now, it would be a neat idea if the new cartoon did a similar buildup, since each episode only comes a week in-between, and could be a good strategy in that regard.

If TMNT wasn't as well-established like it was during the Mirage Vol. 1 and Archie days, then it would be necessary to bring out the main villains right away or very early on. It just keeps fans continuing along, similar to how the first three seasons (and the fourth in some measures) of the OT were longer and longer since it got more successful, leaving more room for experimental plots. Since many casual fans who don't visit these forums but only can recall the earlier comics simply due to nostalgia, they may not be aware of this new series going on, so that when they see that they're already six issues into the new series, they would think that they've missed a lot already, when in reality we're still just getting started. It's just a work in progress; you can't build a new building overnight, and the bigger it is, the longer it takes, and that includes the details.
__________________
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...d.php?t=37065- MY WANT LIST

TMNT FAN CLUB LINK: http://sot.ag/gCjK/

30 years of Turtle Power!
pannoni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #8
Mr._Mutant_Man
Mad Scientist
 
Mr._Mutant_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,340
Since almost every comic series involves a one month wait, this would be a question for the industry as a whole. The solution would be either to have more one shot stories, or switching to only releasing graphic novels every few months (I like my monthly comics, so I'd say no to that one. Would rather have a little story at a time than having the long wait).

I wouldn't say it kills the pacing, but for comics series I don't care about as much, I tend to forget what happened in the last issue.
Mr._Mutant_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #9
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,480
Heck, didn't we get the last four issues of the TMNT banner in a 5-week span? It sure felt like it to me. If anything, my turtle senses were almost overwhelmed!
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:10 AM   #10
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,792
That's why I hope for more specials and mini's. It progresses the story or gives focus to other characters as we wait for the ongoing to continue.

The Archie series did it wonderfully with specials and mini's that tied into the main series and you had to read it all to keep up with the story. You had to read those Mutanimal books just to see them stop Malinga's invasion, or the April O' Neil comics to see the end of Chein Khan, or the Merdude mini's to see the return of Armaggon.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:18 AM   #11
Metropoliskid41
Stone Warrior
 
Metropoliskid41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tundra
Posts: 886
Exactly, I'd really like to see some more specials, minis, and hopefully an annual worked in every year!
__________________
-------------------
Metropoliskid41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #12
King Kahn
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Nashville TN
Posts: 631
I have been liking the slow burn of the new series.

The new origin is taking a bit to get used to but I like it. It is new and not just a retelling of the same origin over and over again.
King Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #13
Matches Malone
Stone Warrior
 
Matches Malone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: California
Posts: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropoliskid41 View Post
Exactly, I'd really like to see some more specials, minis, and hopefully an annual worked in every year!
I think we all would! Since the micro-series is numbered, I'm hoping that can become an ongoing monthly title alongside the main series, similar to Tales of the TMNT. Tales issues often felt like they could have easily fit into the main series, but I like the idea of a character-centric series to differentiate it. Here's hoping!
__________________
"Baxter, you slime puppy!"
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:00 PM   #14
Metropoliskid41
Stone Warrior
 
Metropoliskid41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tundra
Posts: 886
I agree, I'd really like to see it continue, with at least an issue every 2-3 months. I personally would love to see a Oraku Saki/Shredder micro series issue, as well as Hamato Yoshi/Splinter, Casey Jones, April, and Krang micro series books. I think those would do well. And if Bebop & Rocksteady really do have an impact on the series, a group Bebop & Rocksteady micro series issue would be cool too!
__________________
-------------------
Metropoliskid41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #15
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,208
It kinda sucks, but at the same time it gives you a lot of time to digest everything that's going on. Plus if you're crazy busy, you have a lot of time to catch up before next month's issue comes out.

I personally find it less painful than waiting for the next season of a television show.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:25 PM   #16
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post

I personally find it less painful than waiting for the next season of a television show.
Maybe. But we still get 26 episodes a year. With comics you only get 12 normal issues for 12 months, plus just a handful of more one-shots or specials.

The fact that they confirmed the Nick show will have 26 episode seasons was a relief.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #17
Venom
Space Knight
 
Venom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Maybe. But we still get 26 episodes a year. With comics you only get 12 normal issues for 12 months, plus just a handful of more one-shots or specials.

The fact that they confirmed the Nick show will have 26 episode seasons was a relief.
TV shows getting 26 episodes these days are the exception rather than the rule; that order shows Nick is backing its newest property with full force hoping for another Spongebob.
__________________
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #18
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,792
Anyone think it would be cool to have a third edition of Tales of the TMNT...IDW style?

We'd get two TMNT comics every month....although I know how unlikely this is.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #19
Toby Barrett
Stone Warrior
 
Toby Barrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 946
The micro issues pretty much already are IDW's Tales. They don't come out monthly, but they're pretty much the same thing.
Toby Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #20
Metropoliskid41
Stone Warrior
 
Metropoliskid41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tundra
Posts: 886
Tom said yesterday that there will be more than just the 4 turtles Micro series books so I'm hoping a reoccurring tales type book comes out, whether that is an actual volume of Tales of TMNT or just carried out in a rotating series of books that will feature each turtle and members of the supporting cast. I would love to see 4 individual turtle issues a year, plus a Shredder, Splinter, April, Casey, Krang, and 3 other villain one shots each year to supplement the ongoing series
__________________
-------------------
Metropoliskid41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.