The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 12:39 AM   #61
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
True, but Nick knows that those characters were popular with kids once before, and there's no reason kids of today wouldn't love them just the same.
While true, visually and mentality-wise now they seem a lot like throwbacks to a bygone era where punk rockers and punk rocker-esque gangs dominated the streets and mohawks and all that were all the rage. It worked in 1987, but it all seems a bit silly and dated now, in 2012. You just don't see that sort of stuff anymore beyond select cliques nowadays who get stuffed into lockers. Who's to say if kids of 2012 would connect to them now were they exactly as they were then.

I'd say we're about to find out, though. But I believe they'll still be visually updated a bit into something else.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 02-15-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:57 AM   #62
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,226
Throw some Kanye glasses on Bebop and he's good to go.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:20 AM   #63
Cowabunga Carl
Mad Scientist
 
Cowabunga Carl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,384
I'm waiting to see Dogpound and Fishface in action before passing judgment on them. Rocksteady and Bebop worked in the 80's and are part of the OT, while I wouldn't mind them in a show I'd like to see some new henchmen and mutants.
Cowabunga Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #64
marcelangelo
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
While true, visually and mentality-wise now they seem a lot like throwbacks to a bygone era where punk rockers and punk rocker-esque gangs dominated the streets and mohawks and all that were all the rage. It worked in 1987, but it all seems a bit silly and dated now, in 2012. You just don't see that sort of stuff anymore beyond select cliques nowadays who get stuffed into lockers. Who's to say if kids of 2012 would connect to them now were they exactly as they were then.

I'd say we're about to find out, though. But I believe they'll still be visually updated a bit into something else.
you know to me it feels like a little bit of the opposite thing in this point...mohawks are part of normal day to day routine nowerdays...you see thme on musicians and so yo see them on teenagers and even little children everywhere you go...so often that a weird haircut like thta won't have a striking effect anymore...but in combination with the turtoise shells on his shoulders I think it works....
marcelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:15 PM   #65
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hob View Post
I'm waiting to see Dogpound and Fishface in action before passing judgment on them. Rocksteady and Bebop worked in the 80's and are part of the OT, while I wouldn't mind them in a show I'd like to see some new henchmen and mutants.
I think the other problem is these new mutants look too accessorized. Fishface seems to have robot legs, and Dogpound has all those damn spikes all over him.

Rocksteady and Bebop's designs were simply "normal" and down to earth. They just wore their street punk clothes and that's it.

Sooner or later they will introduce the original mutants of the franchise. If IDW is using them in comics aimed at adults I see no reason Nick wouldn't.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:07 AM   #66
Xav
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,040
I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't show up. Shredder's henchmen seem to keep changing between canons.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #67
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,814
Does seem strange that they're choosing to introduce new mutants like Dogpound and Fishface right off the bat rather than use well known mutants.

I understand every new series wants to introduce fresh characters right away, that's why IDW introduced Old Hob, but it makes you wonder.

We don't even know if Krang himself will appear as the leader of the Kraang.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:24 PM   #68
Cowabunga Carl
Mad Scientist
 
Cowabunga Carl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,384
I don't want a carbon copy of the OT, or IDW. I think that's one reason I'm able to do the IDW sereis thus far. It's different enough that I don't feel like been there done that. Plus Old Hob is a great addition. The comic is brining in enough old things to make some fans happy but adding new layers to it too.

I'm hoping Nick does that too. I'm hoping that there is enough there to recognize it but enough different that I'm not thinking someone else did it better. I guess that's why part of me doesn't want to see these guys again now for a third time. I have a feeling we will though. I'm open to seeing them again but if we do I hope Nick keeps them fresh.
Cowabunga Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:30 PM   #69
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,814
Bebop/Rocksteady went a 15 year gap between appearances from the end of Season 8 in 1994 to 2009's Turtles Forever.

You act as if they've constantly been around. Even in IDW we've only seen them once, and in human form no less.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:47 PM   #70
Cowabunga Carl
Mad Scientist
 
Cowabunga Carl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,384
They were one hit wonders. In the OT they served one purpose and that was to screw up the Shredder's plan. Heck that was even their point in Turtles Forever. For me as a child that was what made them so much fun. When I watch the OT that's part of what makes it magical for me.

That doesn't mean I want to see them other places. You're right Cubed they were "gone" for a while. But they weren't really when I, or anyone else, puts on a dvd of the OT.
Cowabunga Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #71
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,226
Well they're saving Casey Jones for season 2, and I think we can all agree he's a more "classic" TMNT character than these two. So I expect to see them later on down the line.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:26 PM   #72
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist
 
Panda_Kahn_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,715
I really, really hope these two make it into the new show, and I really don't see any indication they won't- just because they're not in with the figures shown off at Toyfare, doesn't mean they won't show up in Season 1 with everybody else.
__________________
My TMNT fanfic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1266176...n-a-Half-Shell

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:19 PM   #73
strugler
Thug
 
strugler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 73
I certainly hope so. Bebop and rocksteady are a huge part of the TMNT mythos, even if they were not in the original comics.

and guess what? i am still pissed at eastman and laird for now allowing their inclusion in the secret of the ooze movie, so instead we got tokka and rhazar.

however, i must add, i want bebop and rocksteady to be a serious threat to the turtles and not the goofy screw-ups they were in the original cartoon.
__________________


Visit www.tmntlair.com, your one stop source for everything Ninja turtles related.
strugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:25 AM   #74
Agent 86
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 152
I'd like to see Bebop and Rocksteady in the new series.

I'd be more than happy if they're simply human "thugs" for a while before they mutate into their more beastly forms. And I'd be especially happy if they were a serious threat to the turtles (preferably in both human and mutant forms).

At the moment, the new dog and fish/pirahna/shark (?) mutants don't really appeal to me, but it's unfair to judge them based on action figure proto-types alone.
Agent 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #75
lKevlKev
Random Punk
 
lKevlKev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 32
I hope they show up. Even though they were bumbling fools and always got themselves handed to them by the turtles, I always loved them. The turtles have villains that are much more of a challenge to balance it out anyway.
__________________
Sign up and support if you want TMNT made into an official LEGO® product.

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/12130
lKevlKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:29 PM   #76
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,814
The fact that there are no toys for them right out of the gate, and not even any sketches/molds like Leatherhead/Metalhead and Baxter...makes me think they're not in Season 1 if they appear at all.

I guess Nick wants to make sure their new mutants like Dogpound and Fishface become popular, rather than being overshadowed by Bebop and Rocksteady.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #77
Zany Orange Dude
The Little Nerdy Teacher
 
Zany Orange Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: At my desk reading comics and writing lesson plans
Posts: 2,292
Either that, or they are saving them for a surprise!
__________________
Zany Orange Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:28 AM   #78
Nintendophile
Foot Soldier
 
Nintendophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 198
I think, if done properly, Bebop and Rocksteady could definitely be updated and made a more "serious" threat to the Turtles. Look at the successfully updated versions of Monkian and Jackalman, (now named Addicus and Kaynar), in the new Thundercats series. Definitely an example of two character updates done right!

I'm sure the new Nick TMNT could pull off such a transformation for Bebop and Rocksteady. Less clumsy/buffoonery, more menacing/serious, but still with a touch of humor.
Nintendophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:34 AM   #79
Zany Orange Dude
The Little Nerdy Teacher
 
Zany Orange Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: At my desk reading comics and writing lesson plans
Posts: 2,292
Yeah, their original designs are epic as they are, all they need is some brains and you could have yourself two threatening mutants to tend with!
__________________
Zany Orange Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:46 PM   #80
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 14,596
in-show or not, I kinda hope we'll get action figures of them. And not just Bebop and Rocksteady but many more figures from various versions, made in a toy design style
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2k12, nick


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.