The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Did you ever find the reliance the other turtles had on Donatello annoying?
yes 7 17.95%
no 24 61.54%
better than having Leo all the time 8 20.51%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 11:02 PM   #21
Avatar Yuffie
Stone Warrior
 
Avatar Yuffie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermano Dyvas View Post
I don't, and they still relied on Don for a lot of things. When he got mutated in season 4 the 2K3 team was seriously crippled.
Not to mention SAINW. Don not there = end of the world. Seriously.
__________________


We all know that Most Writers Are Male. Something like eighty percent of media aimed at children have male main characters, whereas half the population is female. At best, women will often be minor characters or will not be present at all. Stories about women are for women, stories about men are for general consumption. (TV Tropes Feminist Fantasy)
Avatar Yuffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #22
Uki
Hench Mutant
 
Uki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Woodlands, Tx
Posts: 337
Nah, his knack for tech and inventing is a nifty trait. They're all best at something.
__________________
-Proud Member of the Turtle Whacks!
Uki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:35 AM   #23
ssjup81
Foot Elite
 
ssjup81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Virginia (Back in the US)
Posts: 4,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermano Dyvas View Post
Umm, not so sure I agree about Mikey. He was getting himself and Raph lost in the city untill the impossible-to-miss-ray came out of that skyscraper. Then his tactic to beat the robot guarding the building completely failed...

Raph really didn't want to be a leader, he attempted to pass his mantle more then once before he actually did, I think that sais enough about his leadership capabilities.
Not exactly epic leadership.
I never said he was a great leader, just that he wasn't too bad in the sense that he actually tried. Raph didn't even do that. That aside, both have shown that they can lead and stuff. That ep where they were stuck in Dimension X with the Neutrinos, April, Irma, and Vernon kinda showed that.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #24
Jelly Bean
Stone Warrior
 
Jelly Bean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: in front of the computer
Posts: 974
I notice when it comes to the 80's toon people are kind of reluctant to give Raph and Mikey there due. Don and Leo are always getting praise, why not the two less serious turtles.
__________________
Quote:
it's pretty stupid that any company that specializes in serving up hot meat - specifically "Hot C*ck Meat" (Chickens? "C*cks"? Get it?) - in between a set of warm buns would have an anti-gay agenda. The irony is palpable.
-Leo656

--------

Jelly Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #25
Killer Moth
Hench Mutant
 
Killer Moth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald7 View Post
As far as the OT, I didn't really find their reliance on Donatello annoying. I liked that while the other turtles were fighting the bad guys, Don had his own special job to perform. It gave the overall group more depth, rather than just having all of them fighting every time.

I don't think "annoying" is the right word. Now it could certainly get "ridiculous" at times, which is why it was fun when they joked about it on the show! Lol. But that was the purpose of the show, to satirize action cartoons.
Given the series' archetypes and plot formulas, Don fulfilled his purpose as the brain rather well. And there were enough episodes to allow the others to shine, as noted by others. There are some episodes, where, like "Night of the Dark Turtle," Don was really the only one to solve the problem or the only one who could have, on short notice. One very interesting aspect in the Red Sky fare is how Don become even more useful to the plot with his techno-savvy (or savvy ness?), though without the absurdity and parody.

Besides, given the snark the other Turtles gave about Don's inventions in Season 3 and onward, both ends were covered. Since they didn't do the whole Star Trek route and explain the science too much, then everything was fine. Or have they, and I don't know it or failing to remember it? (The closest that I could think of, immediately offhand, would be his explanation of the Niagara Falls power set-up in "Return of the Technodrome.") I haven't watched the middle of the series in depth or as an adult, so my memory will be quite spotty. Feel free to correct me or refresh my memory.
Killer Moth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:57 PM   #26
TurtleManiac
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: KALI
Posts: 1,008
I do remember a lot of episodes of the OT in which Leonardo and Michaelangelo get captured, and it is up to Donatello and Raphael to rescue them.
TurtleManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:54 AM   #27
NameGoesHere1066
Stone Warrior
 
NameGoesHere1066's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: at home LOL
Posts: 957
I loved Don and his hatred for the human race saved him from a being a Mary Sue, but I really wished the other turtles could have been more independent of him than they were.

I mean the turtles are really crippled when Don is not around and to a lesser extent Leo. But the guys are never crippled if say Raph or Mike were missing.

Look at the episode where Splinter split the turtles into teams of two with Leo+Don vs. Raph+Mike. Leo and Don were butt raping Raph and Mike.
__________________
]
NameGoesHere1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:11 AM   #28
Baxter Stockmen
Foot Soldier
 
Baxter Stockmen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montana
Posts: 126
Yeah. Sometimes it got to be too much. Just like a lot of video games now. Hey there is a problem opening this door or accessing the computer files. Our expert techy will fix that no problem no matter what it is.
__________________
< i hunga for cowabunga!

Oh, i'm looking for a Sideshow Statues.
Baxter Stockmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:13 AM   #29
shezcrafti
Hench Mutant
 
shezcrafti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The East warehouse over at Lairdman island.
Posts: 367
I was just talking about this on Twitter the other day. I've always thought Donatello's skills were way too convenient to the plots, and I've never understood how he could know so much about everything given the Turtles' living situation...

Um, hi btw. I'm new here.
shezcrafti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #30
Baxter Stockmen
Foot Soldier
 
Baxter Stockmen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montana
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by shezcrafti View Post
I was just talking about this on Twitter the other day. I've always thought Donatello's skills were way too convenient to the plots, and I've never understood how he could know so much about everything given the Turtles' living situation...

Um, hi btw. I'm new here.
welcome to the drome!
__________________
< i hunga for cowabunga!

Oh, i'm looking for a Sideshow Statues.
Baxter Stockmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:10 AM   #31
Sage Ninja
Band of the Hawk
 
Sage Ninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 3,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by NameGoesHere1066 View Post
Look at the episode where Splinter split the turtles into teams of two with Leo+Don vs. Raph+Mike. Leo and Don were butt raping Raph and Mike.
Didn't Michelangelo furiously destroy Donatello's machine that was flinging garbage at them with one strike and then nocked an armed Leonardo flat on his back with his bare hands, then captured their tower winning the game? And wasn't it Raphael who in the same episode came up with the plan to defeat the bad guys? And it wasn't some wimpy, slap-stick, gimmicky, resolution to the problem either. Raphael's plan was designed to kill the Rat King and Leatherhead, it doesn't matter that they survived. That proves how effective those two were so they were hardly passive memebers of the team.
__________________

Cassandra: You won't fight me, but will you fight--for him!

Cassandra's Revenge

~Tangled the Series
________________________________
http://frankviola.org/2012/01/30/godsviewofawoman/
_______________________________
http://nox-artemis.tumblr.com/post/4...k-and-feminism
Sage Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:38 AM   #32
TurtleManiac
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: KALI
Posts: 1,008
I think it was in "Attack of the 50 Foot Irma" Donatello saves and says to the other 3 turtles "I sometimes wonder what you guys would do without me" so he knows
TurtleManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.