The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #1
cyberweasel
Random Punk
 
cyberweasel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 15
Is remastering the '87 series in HD feasible?

My apologies if this has been discussed... searching for "HD" didn't work so well.

Does anyone know if the series was produced in a way that would allow for a high definition remaster? Old cartoons like the '67 Spider-Man cartoon were successfully remastered because 35mm film existed. But I wonder if the frames were shot to tape instead in the late 80's.

I don't know that there would be a huge pull to do the whole series... but I'd love to see season 1 in HD.
cyberweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
Spitfire
Writer • Director
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,035
Even if it can't be converted to full HD it can at least be upconverted, which it is anyway when you watch it on an HDTV. Most importantly They could fit the entire series on a few bluray disks instead of a bunch of DVDs. A bluray disk is about 5 times the size of a DVD. So if 13 episodes fit per normal DVD then you could do 65 per Bluray. You could do the whole series in 3 disks with plenty of room for special features, or what of them there were.
__________________
Check out my online portfolio
http://www.christopherpelletier.com/
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:51 PM   #3
Kendamu
Sewerhead
 
Kendamu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,890
It would entirely depend on what sort of film masters exist as for remastering it in HD. Also, the show has a LOT of things to clean up and would be a super expensive to do.
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
LeoNerdo
Stone Warrior
 
LeoNerdo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 872
I dunno about TMNT specifically but most animated shows and a lot of live action tv shows up until the last decade or so were recorded on tape. If so the elements aren't really there to make the image noticeably better although they could be cleaned up a little. A nice TV set will make them look about as good as it's gonna get.

And it's doubtful that any dvd licensor thinks any 20-something year old Saturday Morning/Syndicated cartoon show has a large enough market for a HD release.
LeoNerdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,377
In theory various filters and algorithms could be applied to the footage to upscale it to whatever. It wouldn't be perfect, but then neither is the actual material itself.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:40 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoNerdo View Post
And it's doubtful that any dvd licensor thinks any 20-something year old Saturday Morning/Syndicated cartoon show has a large enough market for a HD release.
Considering this series was one of the most popular cartoons of its time, you'd think it would be considered.

But since even the classic Simpsons seasons aren't on blu-ray, I guess its no surprise TMNT isn't.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:10 AM   #7
gobo
Wacky Action
 
gobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: on Earth
Posts: 12,784
Possible? Yes. Likely? Shell no.
__________________
Live and let live... or go to hell.

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:57 PM   #8
cyberweasel
Random Punk
 
cyberweasel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 15
Yeah, I'm most interested if anyone knows if the material available will even allow it.

There's been some pull to remaster things in HD just to keep things appealing to newer audiences. It's just a matter of the ROI justifying the time/money spent to do it. It's been interesting to see shows like Star Trek: TNG and That 70's Show going back and bringing things to high definition.
cyberweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #9
Zany Orange Dude
The Little Nerdy Teacher
 
Zany Orange Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: At my desk reading comics and writing lesson plans
Posts: 2,292
I believe it is possible. Think about how they remaster the old Looney Tunes cartoons on Bluray and that is what I think can be done with the OT.
__________________
Zany Orange Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:07 PM   #10
LeoNerdo
Stone Warrior
 
LeoNerdo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zany Orange Dude View Post
I believe it is possible. Think about how they remaster the old Looney Tunes cartoons on Bluray and that is what I think can be done with the OT.
That's a completely different situation. Looney Tunes were shot on film, 'cause that's all that was available then, so it's relatively simple for them to clean up and restore them so they look awesome. That 70s show is being upgraded to Blu cause it was shot on film. TNG was originally shot on film and transferred to tape for editing, which is why it's such a process for them to get the hi-def transfers out.

I can pretty much guarantee TMNT is on tape. Tape was a heck of a lot cheaper than film and is what pretty much every cartoon of the period that isn't theatrical has been stored on.
LeoNerdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:32 AM   #11
gobo
Wacky Action
 
gobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: on Earth
Posts: 12,784
A few eps at the Library Of Congress are stored on reels.
__________________
Live and let live... or go to hell.

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:44 PM   #12
Jephael
That whack job behind you
 
Jephael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,143
Why does every film and TV show ever done since the beginning of film suddenly have to be in HD?! I don't understand what the big hairy deal is!
__________________
"I like it. Simple, but effective!"
Raphael; The Mean Machines - 1988

Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:51 PM   #13
Stingray69
Stone Warrior
 
Stingray69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 916
I think its fine they way it is. I wouldn't even want it in hd.
Stingray69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:58 PM   #14
Zany Orange Dude
The Little Nerdy Teacher
 
Zany Orange Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: At my desk reading comics and writing lesson plans
Posts: 2,292
I certainly want an upgrade. I think a nice touch up would do the OT nicely. I'd like to be able to see the picture slightly more clearly than it is presently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoNerdo View Post
That's a completely different situation. Looney Tunes were shot on film, 'cause that's all that was available then, so it's relatively simple for them to clean up and restore them so they look awesome. That 70s show is being upgraded to Blu cause it was shot on film. TNG was originally shot on film and transferred to tape for editing, which is why it's such a process for them to get the hi-def transfers out.

I can pretty much guarantee TMNT is on tape. Tape was a heck of a lot cheaper than film and is what pretty much every cartoon of the period that isn't theatrical has been stored on.
Oh okay, I understand. Thanks for explaining that to me!
__________________
Zany Orange Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:01 PM   #15
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy
 
TurtleTitan97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Speed Force
Posts: 7,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zany Orange Dude View Post
I certainly want an upgrade. I think a nice touch up would do the OT nicely. I'd like to be able to see the picture slightly more clearly than it is presently.
Same here. I'd love to see that.
__________________



TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #16
cyberweasel
Random Punk
 
cyberweasel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
Why does every film and TV show ever done since the beginning of film suddenly have to be in HD?! I don't understand what the big hairy deal is!
Honestly? I love art and eye-candy.
cyberweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #17
Killer Moth
Hench Mutant
 
Killer Moth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 384
These days, you can pull it off more easier (I want to get the "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" Season DVDs, because they look so goregous), but, no, I'm not opposed to an upgrade. Besides viewing the DVDs for obvious reasons, I want to screencap them for future icons, so. My biggest gripe with the 87 DVDs would be the way the first intro was done with all that blurring. The series' first opening animation is a treat for the eyes, so it shouldn't be formatted like that.

Also, the Season 1 DVD sometimes had a weird transparent bar at the screen's bottom, whenever it did a jump cut through scene to scene. (You might notice it best whenever Mike points to the concrete truck they used against Bebop and Rocksteady.) Except, I don't know if that's the frame-by-frame formatting or animation issues or a third thing.

Unless the fanbase is that particular and vocal, like, possibly the Star Trek or Star Wars fandom, "you'll get the DVD as formatted, and that's it!"
Killer Moth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:49 AM   #18
Spitfire
Writer • Director
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
Why does every film and TV show ever done since the beginning of film suddenly have to be in HD?! I don't understand what the big hairy deal is!
Maybe because HD is, and has been, the standard format for years now. It also looks 100X better then DVD and it still floors there's people who claim they can't tell the difference. Course I know some people who think watching a Bluray player on tube TV will give them an HD image so that might be why.
__________________
Check out my online portfolio
http://www.christopherpelletier.com/
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:45 AM   #19
Lampy
Stone Warrior
 
Lampy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 748
I would love to see the series in high def. like many here have mentioned, the intro is too awesome... and now very hard to find in good quality. so seeing the series in HD would definitely be something well worth it for a TMNT fan.
Lampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:56 AM   #20
Zany Orange Dude
The Little Nerdy Teacher
 
Zany Orange Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: At my desk reading comics and writing lesson plans
Posts: 2,292
If they ever do release the series in HD, I hope the Bluray comes with some bonus features. Maybe a commentary for an episode or something? I think that would be pretty cool. But I'd be happy if they just release the thing in this formate at all.
__________________
Zany Orange Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.