The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2012, 10:47 AM   #1921
DonatelloFan
"The Pixel Dad"
 
DonatelloFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,764
I don't think people would be as upset if the first picture we ever saw for the new line of toys was an amazingly detailed paint job. And all the weapons were colored, with Mikey's nunchucks having chains (especially that new weapon of his).

They're not bad looking. I wish I had Leo to be able to see all of them in person, but I don't think they look bad. It's just when they're compared to the first picture we ever saw, that's when they don't look good at all.

And about the weapons, Mikey's weapons are HORRIBLE. No bend or give in them whatsoever. Donatello's two bo's are nice, but that three part bo he has is completely pointless. Raphael's weapons are incredible in my opinion.

I'm also SOOOO glad they decided NOT to put the main weapons on the rack, too.

But Michelangelo's weapons are the worst of the three I have.
__________________
My Pixel Paintings:

On this forum
On Facebook

Samples:

DonatelloFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:25 AM   #1922
MST3KFan
Hench Mutant
 
MST3KFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 485
It looks almost like they decided oddly to mix up the green colors on the turtles to me with Donny having Leo's, Raph having Mikey's, and Mikey having Raph's skin colors when shown next to their 1988 counterparts.

The lack of paint on the weapons is definitely disappointing, especially when the 2003 and 2007 TMNT had painted weapons. And man are Mikey's chuck chains short. Also... Raph's sai holstered on his back? That's different.
MST3KFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:35 AM   #1923
DonatelloFan
"The Pixel Dad"
 
DonatelloFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by MST3KFan View Post
It looks almost like they decided oddly to mix up the green colors on the turtles to me with Donny having Leo's, Raph having Mikey's, and Mikey having Raph's skin colors when shown next to their 1988 counterparts.

The lack of paint on the weapons is definitely disappointing, especially when the 2003 and 2007 TMNT had painted weapons. And man are Mikey's chuck chains short. Also... Raph's sai holstered on his back? That's different.
I think having Raph's sai's on the back is a great idea. I've never liked how the '88 figure had them on the front. Didn't look right.
__________________
My Pixel Paintings:

On this forum
On Facebook

Samples:

DonatelloFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #1924
Drose18
The Catalina Wine Mixer
 
Drose18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonatelloFan View Post
I think having Raph's sai's on the back is a great idea. I've never liked how the '88 figure had them on the front. Didn't look right.
I do that with my 2k3 raph. I give him the belt and sais that go with the ninja knight raphael.
Drose18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:48 PM   #1925
Ravenxl7
Stone Warrior
 
Ravenxl7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Son of Ch'rell*** View Post
The 2K3 figures had painted weapons. I don't mind just brown, white, and silver. They could always make the weapons out of brown plastic and then paint the blades silver.
Was there ever any issue with the paint rubbing off? Part of the reason I'm not upset about the weapons not having paint...is simply the fact that I'm so used to them not having paint. The vast majority of action figures I had growing up had weapons with no paint on them. Then again, I also still love figures that have only five points of articulation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonatelloFan View Post
I don't think people would be as upset if the first picture we ever saw for the new line of toys was an amazingly detailed paint job. And all the weapons were colored, with Mikey's nunchucks having chains (especially that new weapon of his).

They're not bad looking. I wish I had Leo to be able to see all of them in person, but I don't think they look bad. It's just when they're compared to the first picture we ever saw, that's when they don't look good at all.
Not to insult anybody's intelligence, but nobody should have expected the figures to look like that first image. Most especially those of us who are also Transformers collectors. The first official image of a toy like this is almost always heavily photoshoped. It should have been obvious from the get-go that the first image we got was heavily doctored. The only things that the photoshoping can't account for, are the chains on Mikey's chucks, and the second knee bend. I do have to admit that I was a bit disappointed to see that Mikey's chucks wouldn't have actual chains on them. Not really because of the picture, but because it was officially stated in the press release that they would be chains. I can forgive a heavily photoshopped picture of prototypes, but it's hard to forgive an official statement.
__________________
Ravenxl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:33 PM   #1926
HerpDerp
Hench Mutant
 
HerpDerp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 488
Sorry if this has been asked before, but why are the skin tones on the figures so different? In the trailer there were slight differences, but on these toys they seem to vary from lime green to dark green.
HerpDerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:19 PM   #1927
DonatelloFan
"The Pixel Dad"
 
DonatelloFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,764
I don't know, because they're toys? I don't think they ever have said the toys will be 100% show accurate.
__________________
My Pixel Paintings:

On this forum
On Facebook

Samples:

DonatelloFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:31 PM   #1928
Drose18
The Catalina Wine Mixer
 
Drose18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonatelloFan View Post
Alright, here's 10 pictures comparing all I could of the new and old Turtles, as well as showing all the weapons racks, and side by side comparisons to their counterpart. Mikey and Don are REALLY different in size, and although I don't have him, I believe Raph will be slightly taller than Leo, making Leo the second shortest.

Take a look at Mikey's signature weapon on the rack. After seeing the prototype, it makes me sick. Donatello has a nice naginata, but that three-part bo he has is just stupid (in my opinion). Mikey's nunchucks are a lot more stiff than the '88 version. Probably because of the 'chain'. They don't bend well.

Raphael by FAR has the nicest weapon assortment. I don't think anyone will disagree on that. Those half-sais of his, that's crazy, and a very nice substitute weapon.

I put the pictures in spoilers because I know some people here either don't like reviews, or they would just simply make fun of the fact that I spent money on toys that are 'just going to come out in a couple months'.

I hope everyone who looks, enjoys. If anyone wants any specific pictures, let me know, and I'll be happy to take them.

Spoiler:
Here's the Turtles I got, shown from the side, compared to NECA & OT Donatello.



NECA, OT, Movie Star, & Nickelodeon Donatello's



Nickelodeon Don, Mike, and Raph side by side



Aaaand the backs



2012 Don with his weapon rack



2012 Raph with his weapon rack



2012 Mike with his weapon rack



2012 & 1988 Donatello



2012 & 1988 Raphael



2012 & 1988 Michelangelo
Could you take a close up of raph's hand to see how far apart his fingers are?
Drose18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #1929
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenxl7 View Post
The first official image of a toy like this is almost always heavily photoshoped. It should have been obvious from the get-go that the first image we got was heavily doctored. The only things that the photoshoping can't account for, are the chains on Mikey's chucks, and the second knee bend. I do have to admit that I was a bit disappointed to see that Mikey's chucks wouldn't have actual chains on them. Not really because of the picture, but because it was officially stated in the press release that they would be chains. I can forgive a heavily photoshopped picture of prototypes, but it's hard to forgive an official statement.
The first pictures weren't photoshopped. The prototypes actually did look like that. Several of saw them in person at events last year.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:35 PM   #1930
DonatelloFan
"The Pixel Dad"
 
DonatelloFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,764
For DonnieDBERG, Raphael's fingers:

Spoiler:






It took some work to get him to hold the sai a different way, but it works. I can't wait to use his other weapons.
__________________
My Pixel Paintings:

On this forum
On Facebook

Samples:

DonatelloFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #1931
Drose18
The Catalina Wine Mixer
 
Drose18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonatelloFan View Post
For DonnieDBERG, Raphael's fingers:

Spoiler:






It took some work to get him to hold the sai a different way, but it works. I can't wait to use his other weapons.
Thanks so much! It looks like he could be pretty poseable!
Drose18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #1932
DonatelloFan
"The Pixel Dad"
 
DonatelloFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie DBERG View Post
Thanks so much! It looks like he could be pretty poseable!
They're pretty decent at posing, except the knee and elbow pads prohibit you from bending the limbs too much.
__________________
My Pixel Paintings:

On this forum
On Facebook

Samples:

DonatelloFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #1933
Ninjinister
無問題
 
Ninjinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moesko Island, WA
Posts: 14,348
I, for one, am still excited for them.
__________________
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:41 PM   #1934
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold
 
TheCanadiandrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
Posts: 19,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ninjinister View Post
I, for one, am still excited for them.
me also dude!
__________________


Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:04 PM   #1935
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Oh wow, those sculpts are really nicely textured, that's neat.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:33 PM   #1936
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!
 
VaughnMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 11,833
Interesting to notice that they don't have finger nails.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:04 PM   #1937
zkarlette
Fashionably late
 
zkarlette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: CA
Posts: 4,146
I think that the extra little toe on their feet looks a little off...
__________________
"If only we'd stop trying to be happy, we could have a pretty good time" E.W
zkarlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:07 PM   #1938
Donnie
Something from the Past
 
Donnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Sh*tty lazy paint jobs (or the lack thereof in the case of the weapons), I still really like the sculpts. Thanks for sharing.
Absolutely.

Wow, really disappointing. Anybody else think to themselves that the '88s look a little better?

I'm still buying the hell out of these, of course, but pretty disappointing.

The crazy contrasts in skin-tones is off-putting as well. I mean, Mikey looks like he could glow in the dark.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:55 AM   #1939
mysterycolor
t-u-r-t-l-e seller!!
 
mysterycolor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 3,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelangelo View Post
Absolutely.

Wow, really disappointing. Anybody else think to themselves that the '88s look a little better?

I'm still buying the hell out of these, of course, but pretty disappointing.

The crazy contrasts in skin-tones is off-putting as well. I mean, Mikey looks like he could glow in the dark.
i will always love the 88-94 toys the best... they were adorable and great for forming a massive collection... HOWEVER i am definitely getting the new ones and look forward to seeing what direction they decide to take the toy line in, provided the show is a success
__________________
mysterycolor TMNT ebay auctions- http://bit.ly/mysterycolor
mysterycolor's basement auctions- bit.ly/mysterybasement
mysterycolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:39 AM   #1940
Falconhood
Stone Warrior
 
Falconhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 694
The new pics shared are AWESOME! I am stoked ! ! !
__________________
Wheresoever the carcase is, there will the vultures be gathered together.
Falconhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
playmates toys


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.