![]() |
|
|
#1 |
|
Mouser
![]() Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 10
|
Opinion on Red Sky Seasons?
What was your opinion on the "Red Sky" seasons, seasons 8-10? Were they a nice change of pace from the previous seasons, or did they try too hard to make it darker and more serious, when the camp and silliness of seasons 1-7 worked just fine?
|
|
|
|
|
|
#2 |
|
Overlord
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,795
|
Seasons 8 and 10 are great.
Season 9 is weaker than the other two but still has some good eps. |
|
|
|
|
|
#3 |
|
Rat-faced Dude-guy
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,295
|
Season 8 was pretty good. 9 and 10 had Dregg and the supermutations, and I wasn't impressed at the time, but episodes with Shredder in Krang in season 10 were pretty good.
__________________
![]() "Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656 |
|
|
|
|
|
#4 |
|
Mouser
![]() Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 10
|
I think the series finale should have been the Ninja Turtles teaming up with Krang and Shredder to defeat Lord Dregg. It would have been interesting.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#5 |
|
Foot Elite
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: East Coast, US
Posts: 3,225
|
I thought it was cool to have the sky be red all the time and for everything to get darker.
I didn't think it was a good idea to do a whole season without Shredder and Krang though. |
|
|
|
|
|
#6 |
|
Jedi Master
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 11,187
|
That is pretty much my opinion. I LOVE season 8 but Shredder and co are only in half of 8 episodes. Season 9 has grown on me but the mutations,Dregg, and Carter with no Shredder and co.,Chanel Six News crew,and reoccuring greats like Rat King and Casey Jones. I enjoyed five our of eight episodes season 10. It deserved a better conclusion than Raphael making a joke about Donatello's cooking popcorn. Shredder should have been the one to comeback those last three episodes instead of Dregg since he was just as capable. Season 8 gets 5 out 5 stars. Season 9 gets 2 out of 5, and season 10 gets 3.5 out of 5 from me.
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles! Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon! |
|
|
|
|
|
#7 | |
|
Jedi Master
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 11,187
|
Quote:
The closest we have is Dimension X Afterword which is beast in its own right!
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles! Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon! |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#8 |
|
Stone Warrior
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 624
|
I could deal with Dregg, even though the world loving him so abruptly was a little confusing. I hated Carter, and their extra mutations didn't really go anywhere. You could remove it entirely, and the show wouldn't have been all that different. I suppose I'd like it more if the Turtles treated it as more than, "Gosh, that's weird. We'd better fix it." Now, obviously, I'm generalising, but you get me.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#9 |
|
Emperor
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,111
|
What I hated wasn't the mutations themselves, but that the Turtles became 100% reliant on "mutating" to be able to win a fight. It's like they forgot they were supposed to be ninjas. And then add onto that Carter as the unnecessary sidekick, whom they also became too reliant on.
In general I did like the change in direction that the show took, and it was absolutely necessary for them to change up the show in that way when they did.
__________________
|
|
|
|
|
|
#10 |
|
Overlord
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,795
|
Why do people act like they were constantly mutating in Season 10? It was only in the first two episodes if I remember correctly.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#11 |
|
Mouser
![]() Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 10
|
Also, the animation was more consistent in the Red Sky seasons.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#12 |
|
Stone Warrior
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 624
|
It was over by season 10, but that's kind of what I meant. There was no real aftermath. They got the mutations under control, and... bam. Done. I don't think it was ever mentioned or dwelled on ever again.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#13 |
|
Overlord
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,795
|
Same thing happens in 4kids and Mirage. After Don's mutation is settled in Season 4 he's pretty much normal once the Ninja Tribunal arc starts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#14 |
|
Stone Warrior
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 624
|
That is true. I think one could feel the repercussions of that situation in a way that felt more real, but you're right that once the Ninja Tribunal story started, it was like, "What mutation? Who, Donatello? No, he's the brainy guy who gets a spear. Now, let's all forget about mutants and learn magic!"
|
|
|
|
|
|
#15 |
|
Foot Elite
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 3,447
|
I hated them, even Season 8 when I first saw it as I always thought of the Ninja Turtles as these goofy, fun-loving guys who just had a great time taking out the bad guys. I probably only saw a couple episodes when they were actually aired, as I was into other things such as Power Rangers and Preteen shows at the time.
Nowadays, I just take them as the "grand finale" to the series, where the turtles finally defeat Shredder, Krang, Bebop and Rocksteady; encounter an even more dangerous foe that forces the turtles to go the extra distance, seeing them grow into young adults as opposed to "true teenagers", and enjoy them as a very "90s" atmosphere that has nostalgia in its own way to the X-Men and B:TAS of the era, much like the early seasons has nostalgia in lieu to The Real Ghostbusters and other "80s" shows. It also has the most consistent plotline in the whole series, where you'll get the most out of the story if you watch each episode in order. Also, unlike in Seasons 3-7 (especially 4-6), the turtles do some strong fighting and frequently use their weapons. If you grew up with 4kids, you'll probably feel most at home watching the Red Sky seasons. That said, you still have to deal with some flat moments in Season 9 and the filler episode "Mobster From Dimension X" in Season 10. Even the voice acting in Season 9 feels less enthusiastic from earlier seasons, Carter included. That said, it will be nice to see Season 10 in better DVD quality when released on DVD next month.
__________________
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...d.php?t=37065- MY WANT LIST TMNT FAN CLUB LINK: http://sot.ag/gCjK/ 30 years of Turtle Power! |
|
|
|
|
|
#16 |
|
Overlord
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 10,480
|
Season 8
Season 8 rocks. Wish it was the last.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#17 |
|
Overlord
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,795
|
I can't wait to rewatch Season 10 in DVD quality.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#18 |
|
Merchandise Maniac
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 5,919
|
I hated the "red sky" seasons because they were two different than the original show. if it was a different show about he turtles, than it would be ok as it's own show, but as seasons of the original, light hearted cartoon, they felt out of place
|
|
|
|
|
|
#19 |
|
Stone Warrior
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 737
|
I didn't like them because it felt like they were trying too hard to shoehorn "grim and gritty" into the wacky world of the cartoon Ninja Turtles. I quit watching it at that point.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#20 |
|
Overlord
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,795
|
You quit watching because they wanted to try something different instead of the same thing we saw for 7 years? You missed many great episodes.
|
|
|
|
![]() |
|
|