The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2012, 03:15 PM   #41
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Campbell View Post
probably not a surprise but I LOVE THEM!!!
Ross Campbell = The Most Influential TMNT Artist of the 21st Century?
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 08-15-2012 at 07:23 PM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:21 PM   #42
Matches Malone
Stone Warrior
 
Matches Malone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: California
Posts: 954
I actually think these turtles look great, except Raph is a little bulky and his mask is a little funky. Hope those Duncan plastrons don't stick around though...

I also wasn't really expecting to see the turtles in this Foot mini-series, but I'm glad to see they'll be around. I'm pretty excited, as this will give the Foot clan some much needed development.
__________________
"Baxter, you slime puppy!"
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:08 PM   #43
Genesis
Stone Warrior
 
Genesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
Does Nick not realize that the Turtles should be significantly shorter than an average sized human?
The only point at which I disagree with you, Donnie-boy. Noticeably shorter makes sense. Significantly... maybe not. I like the Turtles being maybe a head shorter than a fully grown adult human. They look squatty and weird and awkward if they're no more than five feet tall. Maybe five-and-a-half, and I'm good.

I mean look at them in Tales of the TMNT #1. They are unbelievably short - barely coming up to April's waist, casually chatting with her and Casey. It just looks wrong to me.

If anything, I blame the first film for twisting my perceptions on how tall a mutant turtle should be.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #44
Donnie
Something from the Past
 
Donnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
The size issue isn't Nick mandated. It's how Duncan originally drew them (same size as Casey, etc), and I'd like to keep some consistency. There's some wiggle room for style, sure, but I'd like to avoid it being a super crazy size difference. Thus with both Ross and Mateus here we have sort of a compromise... not quite as tall as Duncan's, but not as short as they'd probably ideally like.
Ah ha! Thanks for clearing that up, Bobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
The only point at which I disagree with you, Donnie-boy. Noticeably shorter makes sense. Significantly... maybe not. I like the Turtles being maybe a head shorter than a fully grown adult human. They look squatty and weird and awkward if they're no more than five feet tall. Maybe five-and-a-half, and I'm good.
I suppose because I like Ross Campbell's style the most for TMNT, I favor shorter Turtles. His style lends itself to the smaller mutant variety. Although, it makes more sense to me in a real world setting that mutant Turtles would naturally be significantly shorter than humans. I don't have a problem with taller Turtles, and as long as they aren't bigger than April I'll keep my complaining to a minimum.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #45
Venom
Space Knight
 
Venom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Turtle View Post
I kinda love these designs as well. An interesting take on the nick turtles. Then again, I seem to be much more accepting of change (read as artistic license) than your average turtle comic fan.
I'm pretty much in complete accord with Steph.
__________________
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #46
Heather Breckel
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
Heather Breckel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 308
Santolouco does some amazing work, so I'm sure he'll do an awesome job on the turtles. I think them being short works pretty well like others have said.
Heather Breckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #47
zkarlette
Fashionably late
 
zkarlette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: CA
Posts: 4,146
I don't think that the designs are that bad , but I would like to see Mike be the same size as the other guys, I don't like it when they make him look a lot younger.
Weird enough on the NM series Mike seems to be taller than the others.
__________________
"If only we'd stop trying to be happy, we could have a pretty good time" E.W
zkarlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:59 PM   #48
tmnt transformer
Stone Warrior
 
tmnt transformer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Okoto
Posts: 757
Those are werd lookin'
__________________
Spoiler:


This Picture was drawn by BeagleTsuin from deviantart.

http://https://gleam.io/6dHF3/itam-x-el-june-xbox-giveawayle.php?id=288262&ref=288262"]http://www.vizzed.com/boards/profile.php?id=288262&ref=288262[/URL]

tmnt transformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:05 PM   #49
Lampy
Stone Warrior
 
Lampy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 748
the designs aren't that bad. I'm sure the interior will be even better and the height differences won't be as noticeable since they'll most likely be in action. Still though... I wish they used the other designs he drew in the unofficial picture. Those were more awesome and looked more IDWish.
Lampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:42 AM   #50
Jephael
That whack job behind you
 
Jephael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,143
I have admit as well, I'd much rather see this style used in the comic book spin-off of the cartoon airing on Nickelodeon next month, not the current IDW continuity.
__________________
"I like it. Simple, but effective!"
Raphael; The Mean Machines - 1988

Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:48 PM   #51
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Exactly...
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:50 PM   #52
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,813
If you guys can put up with Andy Kuhn's Turtle teeth his isn't too bad.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:53 PM   #53
TMNT is cooler than MOTU
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 858
I'm really digging these. I've always thought that the Turtles should have varying heights and body types. They're not just clones of each other with different masks and weapons.
__________________


Thank you for getting rid of Hamato Yoshi, Michael Bay and Co.! He was suuuuuper unnecessary.
TMNT is cooler than MOTU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #54
DrSpengler
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,842
If the Turtles were to get differing heights and physical characteristics, IDW would actually be a pretty good fit (if it weren'f ro the fact that, you know, there's already 13+ issues of precedent showing that they don't have such characteristics).

The flashbacks to their lives as humans in Japan showed that they were different ages and body types, so it wouldn't be much of a leap to see that reflected in their Turtle forms.

Though, again, to see that implemented after 13+ issues of them using the classic "pallet swap" models would be a tad jarring.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #55
TMNT is cooler than MOTU
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
If the Turtles were to get differing heights and physical characteristics, IDW would actually be a pretty good fit (if it weren'f ro the fact that, you know, there's already 13+ issues of precedent showing that they don't have such characteristics).

The flashbacks to their lives as humans in Japan showed that they were different ages and body types, so it wouldn't be much of a leap to see that reflected in their Turtle forms.

Though, again, to see that implemented after 13+ issues of them using the classic "pallet swap" models would be a tad jarring.
Eh, just look at how different artists have interpreted Spider-Man costume over the years. Todd Macfarlane's version looks completely different from John Romita's but they're still the same costume.
__________________


Thank you for getting rid of Hamato Yoshi, Michael Bay and Co.! He was suuuuuper unnecessary.
TMNT is cooler than MOTU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #56
Ninjinister
無問題
 
Ninjinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moesko Island, WA
Posts: 14,348
Also Tales was ALL over the spectrum with Turtle designs and body types, even in issues that were pretty much back-to-back chronologically but with different artists.
__________________
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
idw, mini-series, nick


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.