The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,813
April being re-imagined as younger and younger in new incarnations

It seems to me as if, "the powers that be," felt that April was way too old in Mirage, the original cartoon, and the movies. She was always in her mid/late 20's in each, making her a full grown adult.

The 4kids series was the first to have a younger April, I believe it was stated she was only 23 in some of the old 4kids character bios back in the day.

In the IDW comics she's around the same age, a College student and an intern.

And in the Nick cartoon she's 16.

And for the new movie, it sounds like April/Casey will be 18-19 year olds.


Do you feel that having a younger April (and Casey) is something done to make them more relateable to the audience?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #2
Lance_Steele
Foot Soldier
 
Lance_Steele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Killeen, Texas
Posts: 139
I don't get that.

It would make sense if she was in her 20s because she's an adult to balance out the TMNT's youth. I dunno...

Why change the age?
__________________


Warning! Objects in mirror are closer than they appear...
Lance_Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance_Steele View Post
I don't get that.

It would make sense if she was in her 20s because she's an adult to balance out the TMNT's youth. I dunno...

Why change the age?
According to the Nick writers its because they want her to grow up with the Turtles. And be a sister to them rather than a "den mother," as Rob Paulsen said.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
pannoni1
Foot Elite
 
pannoni1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 3,447
Actually, it was said that April will not be a teenager for the new movie. While I'll be too young to relate to April for the new series, for the targeted audience it should work out fine. With this, that leaves Splinter as the "den parent", and Splinter is much more of a den father than OT April ever was a den mother, since Splinter tends to reserve for fighting. That's why characters like Joi, Mona Lisa, and Kala work more appropriately for teenage crushes, though Don could always like April even if she's quite a bit older than him. Some people don't like it since this April could essentially be a human Venus.
__________________
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...d.php?t=37065- MY WANT LIST

TMNT FAN CLUB LINK: http://sot.ag/gCjK/

30 years of Turtle Power!
pannoni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:29 PM   #5
zkarlette
Fashionably late
 
zkarlette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: CA
Posts: 4,146
I don't see any comparison between Venus and April..I think they just wan't to give it a different spin on things. I personally don't think it needs the change...
__________________
"If only we'd stop trying to be happy, we could have a pretty good time" E.W
zkarlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:49 PM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,425
I don't see any real need to reimagine April, or to devolve her into something she's not supposed to be.

And that's all I really have to say about that.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:02 PM   #7
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold
 
TheCanadiandrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
Posts: 19,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I don't see any real need to reimagine April, or to devolve her into something she's not supposed to be.

And that's all I really have to say about that.
Agreed dude
__________________


Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:16 PM   #8
Mr._Mutant_Man
Mad Scientist
 
Mr._Mutant_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,340
I do prefer April in the "big sister" role. The Turtles all have each other as peers anyway. I don't see a need to make April their age.

With that said, I'm still wondering what will be in store for April O'Neil as a high schooler, and I'm looking forward to the new series.

Funny thing is, for the longest time, despite the word "teenage" in the title, I always saw the TMNT as adults, albeit "man children". Probably because I started watching TMNT as a pre-schooler, so from that perspective they were practically grown ups. That POV kind of stuck for a while.
Mr._Mutant_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:27 PM   #9
Bossa Nova
Stone Warrior
 
Bossa Nova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States, California
Posts: 592
I can understand April becoming a teenager for the new Nick series as the target audience would likely relate to her better and appreciate her more in that sort of role. Personally, it's not my preferred role for her, as I really like her role as a mother figure with her generally in the later 20's or early 30's age bracket. Motherly doesn't have to mean boring and old-ladyish either, and I think other versions of April have proven that. Still, I don't mind her as a teenager too much, as I'll have to wait and see the actual show before fully forming my opinion.

I do know I greatly dislike this whole 'Don having a crush' on her deal though, since when she was older it seemed like a silly aside I could easily ignore or even find endearing in its own way(didn't all the turtles crush on her in the first film anyway cause she was a "babe?"). But with her being closer to his age I could see this turning into a story point that will be revisited more than once. Not looking forward to that. At all.
Bossa Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:12 AM   #10
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
I'm fine with whatever, April is virtually the same character in every universe (short of her profession) regardless of age. So long as she's not a child, being entirely useless, they can do as they wish with her age.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:56 AM   #11
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist
 
Tuxedo Moroboshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Battle Nexus
Posts: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The 4kids series was the first to have a younger April, I believe it was stated she was only 23 in some of the old 4kids character bios back in the day.
Actually, I think she was more or less the same age in the 2k3 series as she was in the 1987 series. I remember reading that she was in her early 20s in the '87 series, and I guess everybody just assumes that she was older than that.

I have no idea how old she was in the original comics, though.
Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:39 AM   #12
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 22,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I don't see any real need to reimagine April, or to devolve her into something she's not supposed to be.
Where do you get off saying what is and isnt "supposed to be" in a franchise that has constantly reinvented the interpretation of the characters over the decades?
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:44 AM   #13
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
April has always had a set purpose: the Turtles' closest human friend and window to the outside world. There's a lot of wiggle room there.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:34 AM   #14
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist
 
Tuxedo Moroboshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Battle Nexus
Posts: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Where do you get off saying what is and isnt "supposed to be" in a franchise that has constantly reinvented the interpretation of the characters over the decades?
To be fair, Andrew's pretty consistent with his opinion. He doesn't really care for any reinventing, since I believe he's a bit of an original comics purist, for the most part. So while the franchise may be constantly reinventing itself, he doesn't really like any of said reinventing.

I apologize if it seems like I'm answering for someone else, or making complete assumptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
April has always had a set purpose: the Turtles' closest human friend and window to the outside world. There's a lot of wiggle room there.
Ya, I think I agree. I'm still a little weirded out by April being so young in the new series, I'll admit, but at the same time... I don't think it's quite that big of a deal, like so many have made it out to be. It certainly is nowhere near the levels of reinventing the TMNT as aliens. But there's no way anyone would ever do that. That's just silly.

But, ya, so long as April is still used as the TMNT's link to the human world, and a close, personal friend, then there's still much that they could with her and keep true to the character's purpose.

Hmmm... I dunno, though. I think I'll still reserve complete judgment on this new April until I actually see how she works.
Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:44 AM   #15
The Stryker
Stupid Rich
 
The Stryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Room 237
Posts: 11,152
I'd rather have April as a teen over her being a sad 30 something with nothing to do but hang around with teenage mutant turtles.

Plus, why not change it up a bit? It's been like 20 years homies.
__________________

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:52 AM   #16
GK Punk
I'm your Devil
 
GK Punk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 12,439
I actually agree with Stryker on this. Plus if she's a teen as well it makes more sense for her to relate personality wise with the TMNT, as well as with the younger audience.
GK Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:58 AM   #17
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic
 
BubblyShell22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 16,912
While I'm not entirely sure about April being a teenager, I can see why Nick did that. They want to have her relate more to the Turtles on a teen level, something she couldn't do as an adult. But then again, there will still be problems as she won't be independent and will have to answer to her parents about the Turtles. I prefer her as an adult and the big sister type, but I'm willing to wait and see what happens with this new incarnation.
__________________
"A warrior who never fails, never learns."-The Ancient One.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:20 AM   #18
FoxZerro
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
April has always had a set purpose: the Turtles' closest human friend and window to the outside world. There's a lot of wiggle room there.
I think that April works very well in that purpose, the problem I have is when she's older it seems like she's experienced more of the world and will be able to actually guide an educate the Turtles as their embassador to world. If she's younger then there's a lot she doesn't know about either and it feels like she's experiencing rather than educating the turtles on what it is to be human and live in the modern world.

I suppose when you make Splinter a former human, like they are doing in the Nick series, then you have him to fulfull that role. Still it feels odd to make her essentially one of the gang as opposed to a semi-mentor.
FoxZerro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:44 AM   #19
chrisdude
Foot Elite
 
chrisdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 View Post
While I'm not entirely sure about April being a teenager, I can see why Nick did that. They want to have her relate more to the Turtles on a teen level, something she couldn't do as an adult. But then again, there will still be problems as she won't be independent and will have to answer to her parents about the Turtles. I prefer her as an adult and the big sister type, but I'm willing to wait and see what happens with this new incarnation.
I just imagined the Turtles hiding out in the antique shop while it's still in business!
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:44 AM   #20
Logan
Hench Mutant
 
Logan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 483
I'm not crazy about them making April a teen, but I'll wait and see if it works for the new toon.
__________________
We're a team; and as a team let's go kick some ass!

-Leonardo

Logan the Layman Critic, a youtube channel for movie reviews and animation appreciation.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjn...xrKPml1WlYh6Mw
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.