The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion > Custom Toys/Collectibles

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
TurtleManiac
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: KALI
Posts: 1,008
Enter The Shredder : Custom Cartoon Accurate Toon Shredder







My recent custom TMNT needed a Shredder to battle with, I've been slowly working on this for roughly a month and a half, finally finished today. I actually used the Toon Shredder release, I could have just used the original '88 Shredder release since they are basically the same figure, but the only reason I chose to use Toon Shredder is the arms/hands/fingers are bulkier, they used some kind of different plastic that makes Shredder look buffer, and even the shoulders appear to be wider, anyone else ever notice this? I used "Aves Apoxie Sculpt" to sculpt a new shirt and belt onto the figure, and also to modify the helmet/mask. The flaps hanging down under the belt and the cape are made of "Kneadatite Green Stuff". Cape is permanently attached, and the advantage of the cape is that it helps prevent the figure from falling, the '88 Shredder/Toon Shredder were always really hard to balance and would easily fall over, but the cape provides more support so that it won't fall. I decided to keep him in his original crazy stance, though I did unflex two fingers on his right hand that were clenched, so that way he could have all the fingers gripping the sword. The armor is a combination of original '88 Shredder armor, Super Shredder armor, and apoxie sculpt. The sword was rounded near the top edge and painted. The figure retains all of it's original articulation. Used Testors Enamel Paints and Tamiya Acrylic Paints to paint the figure. What do you think?

Update 1/27/15: Used flat clear coat on the skin tone because it was too glossy. Took all new pics to reflect this change.

Last edited by TurtleManiac; 01-27-2015 at 03:27 AM.
TurtleManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
Drose18
The Catalina Wine Mixer
 
Drose18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,865
Awesome! I love it!
Drose18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:36 PM   #3
KirkyMonster
Foot Soldier
 
KirkyMonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 247
Looks Great!!!
KirkyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:15 PM   #4
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold
 
TheCanadiandrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
Posts: 19,719
Wow that's uber cool!
__________________


Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:19 PM   #5
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy
 
TurtleTitan97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Speed Force
Posts: 7,043
That's awesome!
__________________



TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:21 PM   #6
Bauer536
Mad Scientist
 
Bauer536's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 1,550
Great custom, dude!
Bauer536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:31 PM   #7
Eiko
Aussie and Proud
 
Eiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Foot HQ Australia
Posts: 1,816
Really well done.
__________________
Eiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:14 AM   #8
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Really nice work, I especially like the eyes.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:36 AM   #9
Walkabout
Stone Warrior
 
Walkabout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 556
Awesome, love your work!!!
Walkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:13 AM   #10
Discogod
Resolutely Analogue.
 
Discogod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 1,707
Looks good. Cape could do with a little smoothing, but otherwise I like it.
Discogod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:01 AM   #11
TurtleManiac
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: KALI
Posts: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie DBERG View Post
Awesome! I love it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkyMonster View Post
Looks Great!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT_Canadian View Post
Wow that's uber cool!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
That's awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer536 View Post
Great custom, dude!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiko View Post
Really well done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Really nice work, I especially like the eyes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkabout View Post
Awesome, love your work!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogod View Post
Looks good. Cape could do with a little smoothing, but otherwise I like it.
Thank you all for the compliments! I really appreciate the positive feedback. I'm glad you like the eyes Powder, as the eyes are usually the hardest detail to paint, for me at least. As for the cape, Discogod, I did notice a few things like that after painting the figure, small things that I couldnt really notice with all the sculpt and sanding unpainted, but now that it's painted, I can see where it needs touch ups. "Kneadatite Green Stuff is a little harder to work with than "Aves Apoxie Sculpt", but it serves well for thin things such as capes because it dries kinda rubbery, this was actually my first time using it. I do soon plan to do all the small touch ups/sanding/sculpting that it needs, I'll post an updated pic on here once the figure is refined.
TurtleManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:15 AM   #12
Discogod
Resolutely Analogue.
 
Discogod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 1,707
TM, have you ever tried a blend of Apoxie and Kneadatite? I use it almost exclusively these days, you get the smoothness and ease of use of Apoxie but the rubbery durability of Kneadatite - basically all the advantages and few of the drawbacks of either material.
Discogod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:12 AM   #13
TurtleManiac
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: KALI
Posts: 1,008
No Discogod I've never tried that method, I've sculpted them over eachother but I didn't even know it is possible to blend those 2 together for sculpting, is it a 50/50 blend and the same working time? What kind of sculpting would it be good for?

It's also worth mentioning that at first I was going to paint the helmet/armor silver, then I started thinking gray might look better since you can't really see silver in the cartoon, but I didn't want it too close to the color of the shirt, so I ultimately decided to go with light gray. I did paint the sword silver though.
TurtleManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:33 PM   #14
TMNT-Collector
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 154
very nice job
TMNT-Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:49 AM   #15
TurtleManiac
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: KALI
Posts: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT-Collector View Post
very nice job
Thanks!

I forgot to put up comparison pics, there's original '88 Shredder on the left, my custom cartoon Shredder in the middle, and '92 Toon Shredder on the right:




Shredder posing with the infamous villain Scratch, as well as some others:


Last edited by TurtleManiac; 01-27-2015 at 03:07 AM.
TurtleManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:24 PM   #16
Scud
Hench Mutant
 
Scud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, Sol 3, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
Posts: 485
Great work indeed. Love the comparison pic.
And I agree with the eyes, they are awesome.

~S~
__________________

New to the Technodrome? Why not introduce yourself here.
To read the forum rules click one. For guidelines on Buying/Selling/Trading click two.
Scud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:16 AM   #17
TurtleManiac
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: KALI
Posts: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scud View Post
Great work indeed. Love the comparison pic.
And I agree with the eyes, they are awesome.

~S~
Thanks! I'm quite pleased with it myself, I had been planning this custom for a while but never got around to it until now. I've got lots more planned!
TurtleManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:45 AM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,429
I always forget how jarringly different the actual (original) Shredder figure is from how he appeared on the cartoon. How weird... why did that happen?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:20 AM   #19
TurtleManiac
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: KALI
Posts: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I always forget how jarringly different the actual (original) Shredder figure is from how he appeared on the cartoon. How weird... why did that happen?
I've always wondered that too, my guess is that since they also had the comics back at the time, they couldn't decide what universe to base the figures on, so they just went with something totally new and different? Almost all the original TMNT figures look very different from their cartoon appearance, but I think Shredder differs the most, being shirtless with blue helmet/armor.
TurtleManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:48 AM   #20
Discogod
Resolutely Analogue.
 
Discogod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 1,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleManiac View Post
No Discogod I've never tried that method, I've sculpted them over eachother but I didn't even know it is possible to blend those 2 together for sculpting, is it a 50/50 blend and the same working time? What kind of sculpting would it be good for?
You can use a 50/50 blend, but as long as each part is equally mixed (as in 50/50 of Apoxie A & B) you can mix it in any quantity. More Apoxie and it's harder, easier to carve, more Kneadatite and it's slightly more flexible. Just use it as you would either compound on it's own - it'll be slightly stickier to start, but if you leave it 20-30 minutes it's a lot more workable. Working time's about the same, and it seems to hold detail a lot easier.

I use it for virtually everything - the armour & helmet on my recent Shredder was made using this blend.
Discogod is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.