The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2014, 09:30 AM   #221
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!
 
Bry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post
Hahaha. I didn't say that. I said that most of the problem was one of expectation. The REST were movie spergs who hate Bay.
Hey, please don't use words like "sperg" as insults. Asbergers is an actual syndrome that effects a lot of people, very possibly some posting here (or anywhere online), so it's pretty offensive to use it as a derogatory term like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post
What do I see?

-there was too much April. (Expectation issue)
-the action was not ninja/not full of turtles/ whatever (expectation issue)
-the plot was weak (expectation issue)
-the origin story was weak and dumb (huge expectation issue)
Hey, don't forget:
-the movie was sloppily cobbled together into an inconsistent whole from multiple rewrites and some reshoots
-the plot didn't hold up logically even on an internal level
-the writing and directing were sub-par overall

So what's the problem here, in your opinion? That some of us expected a movie that wasn't a total mess? The "problem" is us, because we expect a movie to hit a certain level of quality?

I think it's pretty reasonable to expect a decent and consistent plot in any movie. And actual ninja-style action in a movie with NINJA in the title. But hey, if you'd rather blame the audience than the people who actually made the thing, I guess that's your prerogative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post
people say that the "like the movie" crowd has nostalgia glasses on. I could go on and on about the nostalgia glasses of the "dislike the movie" camp but I can see that it would not be worth my effort. I'd only get childish rage in response.
I think you've gotten some reasonable responses. But it feels like you're misrepresenting an entire "group" of people just because you don't like their opinion. People have very reasonable, valid complaints about this movie, and writing all of that off as "expectation issues" is really dismissive.

If you don't like the complaints and can't/won't debate them on their own terms, please feel free to ignore 'em.
__________________

Last edited by Bry; 10-05-2014 at 08:39 PM.
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:41 AM   #222
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post
What do I see?

-there was too much April. (Expectation issue)
-the action was not ninja/not full of turtles/ whatever (expectation issue)
-the plot was weak (expectation issue)
-the origin story was weak and dumb (huge expectation issue)

....then there's
-I'll never watch this movie because of Bay/ Megan Fox/ the N O S T R I L S.

I think judging ANY movie without seeing it is ridiculous. period.
- It's a TMNT movie, not an April movie. Someone forgot to give the production crew the memo that the Turtles were the leading roles and main characters
- ninja action in a ninja turtles movie? crazy, ikr? were you expecting boxing?
- plot was weak as all hell even if it wasn't a TMNT movie
- origin was weak as all hell even if it wasn't a TMNT movie

- I honestly don't see all that many people complaining about Bay or Fox all that much. They're mostly complaining from faults of the actual movie from within the movie. Though one has to admit the movie follows the same tropes the Bay Transformers movies do. Do you really think if some other director was in charge we would have had boner jokes?

- Pretty sure everyone that is complaining actually saw the movie. I have not seen one person say 'I haven't seen the movie, and don't plan to but man does it suck'. All the complainers actually saw it and are given valid complaints on things one would only know if they sat through that garbage of a movie.

Nostalgia glasses is probably the only way to somehow enjoy this tripe. I'm sorry if the movie decided to chew mine up and spit them out.

And sequels don't mean crap. How many sequels do the Transformers movies have? Do you REALLY want to lower yourself to the same standards as the people that continue to throw their money at that franchise just so they can crank out more and more sequels? Do you really want THAT for the Turtles? And here I thought most people here liked the Turtles.
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:21 PM   #223
Galactus
Foot Elite
 
Galactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,009
I've often seen the argument that it's "wrong" to judge tnr movie on how it does doesn't live up to expectations based on matching previous versions but it seems this is a bit of an odd twist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post
-there was too much April. (Expectation issue)
-the action was not ninja/not full of turtles/ whatever (expectation issue)
-the plot was weak (expectation issue)
-the origin story was weak and dumb (huge expectation issue)
Baring in mind that people did expect all that stuff going in given the knowledge of previous works of the team making it how are the examples above not justifiable reasons for people to dislike the movie?

Surely it's an acceptable expectation that the movie's titular characters be the main focus. Likewise that the plot be at least decent and make a basic level of sense or that something important to the central premise (in this case martial arts) be present.

It's a bit like saying we expected a good movie and got a bad movie but we're somehow not allowed to dislike or voice out displeasure at said bad movie.

Quote:
-I'll never watch this movie because of Bay/ Megan Fox/ the N O S T R I L S.
I'm pretty sure most people here have watched it regardless of whatever misgivings they may have about Michael Bay or Megan Fox's involvement.

I also think that it that it's generally agreed that Megan Fox herself wasn't really a problem and I've heard more than a few people say that the movie would have been better directed by Bay so surely there's not that much Bay-Fox "haters" here.

Quote:
I think judging ANY movie without seeing it is ridiculous. period.
Again I'm sure most people have seen it by now unless it's yet to be released where they are. Casting final judgement is silly but I think there was enough readily available data out for people to have a good idea whether this movie would appeal to them or not.

Isn't that the point of cast and creator interviews and trailers and a special on Nickelodeon etc to convince people it's a movie worth their time. It seems they didn't do an adequate job.

Not to mention that there were plenty of people convinced ahead of time that weren't shy of saying how this would be the best movie ever and that trailers had them shivering with excitement that they just knew it would be awesome all before seeing the actual movie. If they could make up their minds I think anyone can dislike it based on the same.

For me personally I thought it looked bad but seeing it was actually worse than I thought. Of course the things I didn't like before going - like the design of the turtles didn't change once I'd seen it in full "context". I actually thought it was a weird and slightly patronizing that we couldn't judge what we were seeing without the full movie. Even if I'd generally liked everything else I still would have disliked the designs, I didn't need to see the full movie movie to form that opinion.

Last edited by Galactus; 10-06-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:50 PM   #224
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post

For me personally I thought it looked bad but seeing it was actually worse than I thought. Of course the things I didn't like before going - like the design of the turtles didn't change once I'd seen it in full "context". I actually thought it was a weird and slightly patronizing that we couldn't judge what we were seeing without the full movie. Even if I'd generally liked everything else I still would have disliked the designs, I didn't need to see the full movie movie to form that opinion.
Exactly. Even with the proof shoved in your face due to pics, leaks and even an actual trailer, everyone kept trying to shut up the naysayers with 'it'll be awesome, wait and see!' It never ends. Now that the movie came and went and it sucked, they're saying 'but the sequel will be good, wait and see!'
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:06 AM   #225
Leolead
Stone Warrior
 
Leolead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Cali
Posts: 909
I bet you guys are going to be even more miserable when even more new fans join the TD, once TMNT 2 starts going into production.
__________________
Leolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:10 PM   #226
The Boston Ninja Turtle
Mad Scientist
 
The Boston Ninja Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolead View Post
I bet you guys are going to be even more miserable when even more new fans join the TD, once TMNT 2 starts going into production.
there really is no need for such comments


im sure many noticed i took my leave from the movie forum say for a few posts

but really both sides just need to step back and remember its just like any other movie

TMNT name doesnt change anything when it comes to the dollar

some will like it some wont, some will love it without fault and some will hate it without seeing it

thats just how movies work in todays world




that being said, recently i had lunch with one of my old college professors and some old classmates.and he told us one of the reasons the movies of today lack story is mainly do to the over seas market. hollywood figures they don't understand the language so why bother putting a story and only focus on the explosions and actions

and in a way they arnt wrong ....look at the movies making the big bucks and the directors getting work..and look at the movies that did well here but not over seas

ok post over ill go back to the toy section
__________________
I didn't choose the ninja turtle life. The ninja turtle life chose me.


https://www.facebook.com/TheBostonNinjaTurtle
The Boston Ninja Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 03:17 PM   #227
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,682
Honestly I haven't seen a single person here post that they hated it without having seen it. They've all seen it and given valid reasons for not liking it.

We're getting way more people that love it and already think it's gonna be super awesome without having seen it yet.
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 03:38 PM   #228
chrisdude
Foot Elite
 
chrisdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,708
I don't recall people saying they hated the movie without seeing it. That just doesn't make sense, verbally. There were PLENTY of people who seemed to get a kick out of telling everyone it looked terrible, they wouldn't waste money on it, they'd rather see Guardians, etc. And it was the same people saying it every single day, in every thread where it was even remotely relevant.

Granted, there were plenty of people doing the same thing, saying how great it would be, and how they can't wait to see it. But complaining is just more annoying, by default.
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 03:59 PM   #229
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdude View Post
But complaining is just more annoying, by default.
Perhaps, though have to say that holding back a gag reflex - over those who were already deeply in love with it before seeing it and equally taking every opportunity to remind others - wasn't all that great either. lol
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:10 PM   #230
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Perhaps, though have to say that holding back a gag reflex - over those who were already deeply in love with it before seeing it and equally taking every opportunity to remind others - wasn't all that great either. lol
This. Not to mention people willing to shell out 80 bucks for it. Statue or no statue that's still too much for this mess. What was that about a fool and his money?
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:14 PM   #231
slingtheory
Stone Warrior
 
slingtheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolead View Post
That's why we're getting a sequel.. look whether you or any other TMNT fans like it or not, these Turtles are here to Stay! in what is likely to be a trilogy.

evidently the majority of people liked the movie!
I think that's not exactly certain at this point. We know this movie pulled in some cash but for all we know it could just come down to the turtles just being popular enough to draw a crowd. We don't know yet how many people who saw the movie liked it enough to watch it again let alone go see a sequel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post
Hahaha. I didn't say that. I said that most of the problem was one of expectation. The REST were movie spergs who hate Bay.

just because I don't post it doesn't mean I haven't been reading. So, again, my opinions are based on observation of all the posts in this section.

What do I see?

-there was too much April. (Expectation issue)
-the action was not ninja/not full of turtles/ whatever (expectation issue)
-the plot was weak (expectation issue)
-the origin story was weak and dumb (huge expectation issue)

....then there's
-I'll never watch this movie because of Bay/ Megan Fox/ the N O S T R I L S.

I think judging ANY movie without seeing it is ridiculous. period.

But whatever. I was only giving my opinion and you raged on me. that's how this place has become.


people say that the "like the movie" crowd has nostalgia glasses on. I could go on and on about the nostalgia glasses of the "dislike the movie" camp but I can see that it would not be worth my effort. I'd only get childish rage in response.
so what you're saying is that as you see it the problem is that people came into this with the wrong expectations? I can't really agree with that because even if you have no previous knowledge of anything involving tmnt the title itself leads you to expect certain things. You expect the title characters to be the focus of the movie and you expect them to be ninjas and do ninja stuff. The plot not being weak and the characters origins making sense is just general criteria a lot people have when judging any kind of storytelling. The lack of either one of those is a pretty valid criticism. Also like galactus mentioned there were quite a few people who expected at least one of if not all of these things months before the movie even came out so it's not like most of us went in expecting high art in the first place. I think the problem isnt so much expectations as it is standards and what people look for in entertainment. There are a lot of things one could find wrong with this movie besides what's listed above. It's rushed, obviously super edited, full of plot holes, hand waves, and contrivances. Not to mention it relies a lot on its audience being familiar with its content going in and to me that makes it feel more like an else world's tale than its own new universe. Now from what ive seen it seems like the majority of people acknowledge these things are definitely there but reactions are across the board. Some of us are put off by them,some of us focus on what ever positives we see, and some of us just go with the turn your brain off and enjoy the ride approach. It's all subjective.
__________________

Last edited by slingtheory; 10-06-2014 at 04:23 PM.
slingtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:24 PM   #232
The Boston Ninja Turtle
Mad Scientist
 
The Boston Ninja Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
This. Not to mention people willing to shell out 80 bucks for it.
yea as i said before 80 bucks is a lot for a movie...any movie



...and im not even saying this cause its TMNT....but i bet that statue isnt worth the extra 40/50 bucks..expecially if they are "mass produced"


i mean i want the phase one avengers set but i cant see myself shelling out 100+ dollars for it
__________________
I didn't choose the ninja turtle life. The ninja turtle life chose me.


https://www.facebook.com/TheBostonNinjaTurtle
The Boston Ninja Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:13 PM   #233
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!
 
Bry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdude View Post
But complaining is just more annoying, by default.
To you. Others might find the cheerleading more annoying by their standards. It's all pretty subjective.

But this kind of thing is where a lot of the bickering originates, isn't it? People on either "side" are guilty of the same general behaviour, but they'll give it a pass from their own side while getting emotional and hostile when it comes from the other.
__________________
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:12 PM   #234
Leolead
Stone Warrior
 
Leolead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Cali
Posts: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
This. Not to mention people willing to shell out 80 bucks for it. Statue or no statue that's still too much for this mess. What was that about a fool and his money?
Mess?

Who the hell cares??? it's not your concern what people want to spend their money on!

Yes the DVD box set comes with a sweet Raphael figure/statue! and I'm willing to pay for it! guess that makes me a fool..
__________________
Leolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:59 PM   #235
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolead View Post
Mess?

Who the hell cares??? it's not your concern what people want to spend their money on!

Yes the DVD box set comes with a sweet Raphael figure/statue! and I'm willing to pay for it! guess that makes me a fool..
And the folks at PD laugh themselves to the bank. Thank you for supporting their half assed mess.

Lmao. Honestly, why even try with a sequel. You're all gonna buy it anyway. And it'll probably cost over 100 and come with a Leo statue and you'll all still buy it anyway lmao.

Thanks for allowing your standards to sink that low. This one's just not for me. Wake me when the reboot happens.
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

Last edited by Coola Yagami; 10-06-2014 at 07:04 PM.
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:18 PM   #236
The Boston Ninja Turtle
Mad Scientist
 
The Boston Ninja Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolead View Post

Who the hell cares??? it's not your concern what people want to spend their money on!
you are right..no one should and cant tell you how to spend your money...but again this has nothing to do with the movie itself...maybe wait and see a review of the statue before you drop 80 bucks on it

cause really who is to say its worth the extra 40/50 dollars , remember its only a 6 inch statue no bigger than say a marvel select figure or the tmnt classics line

i know the picture shows it much bigger than the dvd box




but its just trick photography and decent Photoshop work


just look ,from the description itself

Quote:
The figure stands 6.5 inches tall atop a detailed street scene display base,
if you want the movie get it..im not saying skip it...just dont fall for the exclusive gimmick with the higher price point
__________________
I didn't choose the ninja turtle life. The ninja turtle life chose me.


https://www.facebook.com/TheBostonNinjaTurtle

Last edited by The Boston Ninja Turtle; 10-06-2014 at 07:36 PM.
The Boston Ninja Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:26 PM   #237
Leolead
Stone Warrior
 
Leolead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Cali
Posts: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Wake me when the reboot happens.
Okay see ya in 17 years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boston Ninja Turtle View Post
you are right..no one should and cant tell you how to spend your money...but again this has nothing to do with the movie itself...maybe wait and see a review of the statue before you drop 80 bucks on it

cause really who is to say its worth the extra 40/50 dollars , remeber its only a 6 inch statue no bigger than say a marvel select figure or the tmnt classics line

if you want the movie get it..im not saying skip it...just dont fall for the exclusive gimmick with the higher price point
Maybe.. I don't know. I just want all the merchandise for this movie!
__________________
Leolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:32 PM   #238
chrisdude
Foot Elite
 
chrisdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,708
Collectibles aren't my bag. I wouldn't pay twenty bucks for that statue. But it's still neat, as far as collectors edition bonuses go. And it's clear what it is. It's not like anyone's getting duped if they decide they want it.
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:39 PM   #239
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
If the statue were of Leo rather than Raph, even I would consider it. But it does kinda suck that the scale is misrepresented & that it's a lot smaller than one might think.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:42 PM   #240
zkarlette
Fashionably late
 
zkarlette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: CA
Posts: 4,146
Man, I guess I'm one of the fools that didn't check the specs of the figure. :/
__________________
"If only we'd stop trying to be happy, we could have a pretty good time" E.W
zkarlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sequel


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.