The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2014, 11:40 AM   #241
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Dear Tumblr, stay away from my turtles.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:50 PM   #242
ssjup81
Foot Elite
 
ssjup81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Virginia (Back in the US)
Posts: 4,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
It wouldn't have with me, because then he'd be lying.
That's not what I meant. I meant that it would've been better if that was the literal reason as opposed to what was written. I would've preferred the writers to have used that as the actual reason as opposed to what they did use.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:04 PM   #243
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill
 
Netkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas, but not for much longer
Posts: 3,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickwj324 View Post
Or maybe stop watching the show??!!

I think people are way over-thinking and over-analyzing this. Yes, that's MY opinion and everyone else is entitled to theirs. But if something in a Nickelodeon kid's show is bothering you this badly, then perhaps the best thing would be to change the dial.
I can watch the show if I so choose. Do not tell me what to do or what not to do just because I am criticizing a show you happen to like. I am entitled to criticism if that is what I want to do.
__________________
Netkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:10 PM   #244
rickwj324
Mad Scientist
 
rickwj324's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
I can watch the show if I so choose. Do not tell me what to do or what not to do just because I am criticizing a show you happen to like. I am entitled to criticism if that is what I want to do.
I didn't tell you to stop watching it. Maybe you should re-read what I wrote (and what you quoted me as saying). I suggested not watching it if it upset you so much. You are entitled to criticizing whatever you like.
rickwj324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:50 PM   #245
pennydreadful
trash
 
pennydreadful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
This would be just fine if the show itself had addressed this and went out of their way to mention that it wasn't acceptable to act this way. I think it could have made for an interesting take on Donatello's character if they had just done the simple job of PORTRAYING it as a bad thing. They did not.
I thought they kind of did though? Like with his brothers saying that him following April was creepy, and Splinter telling him that you can't force someone to like something? They definitely could've made it a bit plainer, but they do only have 20 minutes per episode.

Not wanting to start an argument, just playing devil's advocate. I've had a stalker (ex partner) whom I had to get a restraining order against (which turned out to be completely useless), so it is a subject that I'm definitely sensitive too as well.
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:56 PM   #246
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill
 
Netkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas, but not for much longer
Posts: 3,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennydreadful View Post
I thought they kind of did though? Like with his brothers saying that him following April was creepy, and Splinter telling him that you can't force someone to like something? They definitely could've made it a bit plainer, but they do only have 20 minutes per episode.

Not wanting to start an argument, just playing devil's advocate. I've had a stalker (ex partner) whom I had to get a restraining order against (which turned out to be completely useless), so it is a subject that I'm definitely sensitive too as well.
If this happened, I missed it, which is entirely plausible. But if a character is doing a reprehensible action that the writers don't want to condone, they need to make it clearer that this is the case. An example, something as simple as a single character giving Donnie a look of disgust for even a second whenever he mentions April? That'd be an excellent start.

And yes, I need to let it be known I'm not actually angry at anybody [for the most part]. I'm bringing my opinions to the table expecting them to be contested, because an opinion can't be refined unless it's met with criticism.
__________________
Netkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:02 PM   #247
electric_sheep
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennydreadful View Post
I thought they kind of did though? Like with his brothers saying that him following April was creepy, and Splinter telling him that you can't force someone to like something? They definitely could've made it a bit plainer, but they do only have 20 minutes per episode.

Not wanting to start an argument, just playing devil's advocate. I've had a stalker (ex partner) whom I had to get a restraining order against (which turned out to be completely useless), so it is a subject that I'm definitely sensitive too as well.
Or he could just realize that he's a giant turtle and what he's doing is dumb because, you know, he's supposed to be the smart one
electric_sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:03 PM   #248
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac
 
Donatello19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 5,919
Why would they be disgusted if he just mentioned her...?
Donatello19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:09 PM   #249
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill
 
Netkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas, but not for much longer
Posts: 3,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_sheep View Post
Or he could just realize that he's a giant turtle and what he's doing is dumb because, you know, he's supposed to be the smart one
I wouldn't say it's dumb, but I'm sure he does realise the chances of a human wanting to pursue a romantic relationship with a mutant turtle is slim. I definitely know some humans that'd be up for that sort of thing, at any rate.
__________________
Netkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:11 PM   #250
Sighphi
Foot Soldier
 
Sighphi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 231
You guys never had a crush on some one in school and stared at them through the whole class? Or took a path to the next class that just happen to cross the path of that person? Or come up with any silly excuse to try to show off in front of that person?

Now imagine that on top of being a mutant turtle where you never really get those chances.

I actually dont like this characterization cause it's more of a pile-up of standard nerd stuff that doesnt really need to be there, but i dont think it's all that mega creepy.
Sighphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:22 PM   #251
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill
 
Netkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas, but not for much longer
Posts: 3,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
You guys never had a crush on some one in school and stared at them through the whole class? Or took a path to the next class that just happen to cross the path of that person? Or come up with any silly excuse to try to show off in front of that person?

Now imagine that on top of being a mutant turtle where you never really get those chances.

I actually dont like this characterization cause it's more of a pile-up of standard nerd stuff that doesnt really need to be there, but i dont think it's all that mega creepy.
If you don't find it creepy, you haven't been thinking about what it'd be like if you were in April's shoes. Would you like to be on the receiving end of all the **** Donatello has been doing to her?

That, and it isn't just stares and coming up with excuses to show off. He's followed her when she told him not to, he's taken pictures of her without consent, and worst of all:

He made this to try and "hang" with her no matter what. He tried to map out a way to turn every "no" into a "yes".

That is ****ing gross.
__________________
Netkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:55 PM   #252
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac
 
Donatello19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 5,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
He tried to map out a way to turn every "no" into a "yes".
That's...not at all what it was. It was just a mapped out way of different excuses for him to be with her.

If April ever actually said "no" angrily, trying to give Don a hint to leave her alone, he surely would. Instead April is always nice to him and frequently hugs and even sometimes kisses him on the cheek. And you make it like Don is harassing April, which he isn't. He never disrespects her or makes her uncomfortable. He never makes her feel scared or violated.

Ok, he took a picture of her. That was in the 3rd episode of the series, presumably a few days after he met her. Sure it's a little odd that he would do that...but it's not like he snuck up on her and got a picture. The picture shows her hanging out with the other three turtles eating pizza.

When he followed her after she didn't want to see him. She was mad at all the turtles, and Don just wanted to make it right again and let her realize that what happened was an accident and beyond their control. I'm pretty sure after that encounter he never followed her again before she reunited with them.
Donatello19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:10 PM   #253
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill
 
Netkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas, but not for much longer
Posts: 3,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello19 View Post
That's...not at all what it was. It was just a mapped out way of different excuses for him to be with her.
[That is exactly the same thing just in different words.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello19 View Post
He never disrespects her
Except that time he followed her even though she didn't want to be around him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello19 View Post
Sure it's INSANELY CREEPY that he would do that
ftfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello19 View Post
When he followed her after she didn't want to see him. She was mad at all the turtles, and Don just wanted to make it right again and let her realize that what happened was an accident and beyond their control. I'm pretty sure after that encounter he never followed her again before she reunited with them.
It doesn't matter, that is still disrespect. This really isn't that hard to understand.
__________________
Netkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:33 PM   #254
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac
 
Donatello19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 5,919
Whatever, I personally don't find the whole thing creepy or anything, but if you do, that's your opinion and I respect it.
Donatello19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:49 PM   #255
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 8,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
This would be cool with me, no problems at all, if that was all the crush was.


It wouldn't have with me, because then he'd be lying.


This would be just fine if the show itself had addressed this and went out of their way to mention that it wasn't acceptable to act this way. I think it could have made for an interesting take on Donatello's character if they had just done the simple job of PORTRAYING it as a bad thing. They did not.
Actually, they HAVE. Multiple times. Every time he does something "stalkerish", the others call him on it. Even Splinter did. EVERY TIME. And the point was raised earlier that he IS a mutant who has spent his entire life in isolation, with no social interactions, and probably doesn't know what is and is not acceptable, but he IS learning. Especially about boundaries. That has been evident throughout the show. It's even the subject of his fear in the mushroom episode!

Seriously, instead of viewing it strictly through the lens of real-world morality, try looking at it as everyone else does- a mainly "sweet" crush where the person doesn't quite know how to act around the object of affection, and is also mainly played for laughs- but with the clear message that his behavior is "weird" and sometimes a little over-board. Because that's exactly what it is.
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:14 PM   #256
ssjup81
Foot Elite
 
ssjup81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Virginia (Back in the US)
Posts: 4,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
If this happened, I missed it, which is entirely plausible. But if a character is doing a reprehensible action that the writers don't want to condone, they need to make it clearer that this is the case. An example, something as simple as a single character giving Donnie a look of disgust for even a second whenever he mentions April? That'd be an excellent start.

And yes, I need to let it be known I'm not actually angry at anybody [for the most part]. I'm bringing my opinions to the table expecting them to be contested, because an opinion can't be refined unless it's met with criticism.
As I've mentioned earlier, every time Donny did something on a "creepy" level regarding April and the other three turtles had knowledge of it, they'd call him out on it.

I also forgot about that episode, when April wasn't friends with any of them anymore, and Splinter taught him that boundary lesson, sorta. He noticced how down he was and asked him to train. Splinter kept doing some move over and over again and then asked Donny if he liked it or something like that. The point was that no matter how many times Splinter would beat him, he can't be forced into liking it. Personally, I think deep down Donny knew that, but the training session with Splinter just put it more into perspective.

Even though we do know Donny likes April, he still felt responsible for what happened to her dad and also missed her friendship with him and the others in general. TBH, after the situation where they lost the mutagen, I was wondering when they would even get the chance to explain themselves, but she didn't give Donny and the others an actual chance to.

That time where she was on the way to meet up with Casey and Donny was following her...a little creepy, but at the same time, I can't help but wonder if he was planning on approaching her in general and was just trying to find the opportunity and get the guts to approach her, since this was after the Splinter thing making Donny realize that you can't force someone to be your friend or like you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_sheep View Post
Or he could just realize that he's a giant turtle and what he's doing is dumb because, you know, he's supposed to be the smart one
He is the logical one, generally, but emotions aren't logical. Can't help who you like or who you fall for, right? :tlol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
I wouldn't say it's dumb, but I'm sure he does realise the chances of a human wanting to pursue a romantic relationship with a mutant turtle is slim. I definitely know some humans that'd be up for that sort of thing, at any rate.
OT Irma?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
If you don't find it creepy, you haven't been thinking about what it'd be like if you were in April's shoes. Would you like to be on the receiving end of all the **** Donatello has been doing to her?

That, and it isn't just stares and coming up with excuses to show off. He's followed her when she told him not to, he's taken pictures of her without consent, and worst of all:
http://i.imgur.com/G3s7zix.jpg
He made this to try and "hang" with her no matter what. He tried to map out a way to turn every "no" into a "yes".

That is ****ing gross.
Really? You had a problem with the chart? I thought it was pure genius and just re-emphasized how he's the type to overthink and plan. Wasn't that the actual premise of the episode? He couldn't fight properly because he would think too much.

How exactly is this creepy, anyway? How is it any different from a guy or girl who may purposely walk a certain path just to have an excuse to be near the object of his or her affections? Or a situation where you're thinking of ways to hang around that person? He just came up with different scenarios to hang around him, and personally, I'd find it hard to believe if no one's ever done that (not on Donny's level of course). I know I have.

I was interested in a guy, already friends, would try to think of a way to be alone with him without others around and without it seeming like I'm trying to get a date out of him. Just thinking of a way to casually hang out without other friends along, that type of thing. i find these actions, by Donny, quite normal. His over analyzing and planning, though is played up for laughs.

If he had a chart filled with her day-to-day activities ("See, and this is when April washes her hair, so I'll come by and offer her specialized shampoo that will enhance her hair's shine...") listed or her exact locations ("...and at exactly 3:27, she's usually standing at the corner of [street name] so I can go there and...."), etc., then I would find that creepy. He was just coming up with different scenarios to hang out with her when the opportunity presented itself and predicting what she might or might not say. The homework scenario was quite logical, imo. She's a student, of course she'll have homework (and she's mentioned it).

Last edited by ssjup81; 05-27-2014 at 09:23 PM.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:18 PM   #257
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 8,773
Bingo. You just hit the nail on the head.
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:22 PM   #258
Shark_Blade
Emperor
 
Shark_Blade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 7,909


I'll just share what I typed already in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
I thought Nick Donnie is the best version ever.

He doesn’t act like a doormat when being pressed by his brothers all the time. He yelled “Meathead!” at Raph and told Leo to “Be QUIET!” (when he’s disarming an alien bomb).

He can get ruthless and serious.



And he’s capable of sass, even with the people that he fancies.


He also makes the most adorable faces.






And his loud rants are always entertaining to watch. He's not all quiet and can be easily walked all over.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:29 PM   #259
pennydreadful
trash
 
pennydreadful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
You guys never had a crush on some one in school and stared at them through the whole class? Or took a path to the next class that just happen to cross the path of that person?
Sighphi, you just gave me a horrifying flashback into some of my more embarrassing teenage moments.

And Shark_Blade, I will never get tired of seeing adorable gifs of NickDonnie's face.
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:36 PM   #260
ssjup81
Foot Elite
 
ssjup81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Virginia (Back in the US)
Posts: 4,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post


I'll just share what I typed already in another thread.
I love this! You know, I'm starting to really like Donny's character more....but still not sure if I can favor him for this incarnation.

I love that, "I know bait doesn't talk" thing. He told that to the object of his affections.

Hm, I really think this crush thing is growing on me since he's calmed down a lot on the "creepy" stuff.

I do like the fact that Donny isn't a pushover this series.

And...back to work I must go. I want to go back to rewatching eps for Donny outburst moments. Hm, glad I have a large break in between my lessons today. 1:00 - 2:00 and then my next lesson is 4:00 - 5:00. I can come back home and go back into Donny or Turtle mode for a while. Glad I live so close to work.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.