The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2014, 02:23 AM   #241
Ramboraph4life aka Matt
Mad Scientist
 
Ramboraph4life aka Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: North Liberty, Iowa
Posts: 1,233
Pretty nice book, probably would give it around 4 out of 5 stars. Disappointed with the 2003 section of the book (only about 1 & 1/2 pages of text if you added it all together, 2 if counting Turtles Forever...and the pics chosen for that section were kinda meh for me..just My Opinion, though), but some pretty cool stuff. Congrats on getting it released.
Ramboraph4life aka Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:41 AM   #242
joefsas
Stone Warrior
 
joefsas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dorset, uk
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueTurtle1 View Post
Order one on amazon, I got mine on Saturday.
I would but theres the little thing of being skint
__________________
WANTED: S.H.FIGUARTS LEONARDO BANDANA TAIL PIECE!
joefsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:31 AM   #243
Green Machine
Hench Mutant
 
Green Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 442
Wow, this book is amazing! I'm so glad I bought it. I ordered it at 6:30 last night using Amazon Prime shipping and it was delivered this morning at 9:00. LOL

I didn't realize it had all the flyer reprints in it, and the reprint of Mirage TMNT #1. That was a pleasant surprise.
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:52 AM   #244
Chris
Mad Scientist
 
Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: UK
Posts: 1,898
Arrived today! Just flicked through so far but looks awesome
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:26 PM   #245
the fixer
Hench Mutant
 
the fixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: BELGIUM
Posts: 395
Arrived yesterday... Looking awesome so far...

My only disappointment is the fact that the sections about the original movies have very few pictures we haven't seen before. I was kinda hoping to see some long lost behind the scenes pictures or concept art...

Oh well...I'm sure there'll be loads of unseen exclusive nineties movies stuff in the upcoming documentary!

That being said, it sure is cool to finally have a great visual history book!
Thanks mister Farago!
the fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:36 PM   #246
JonesyKitty
Mad Scientist
 
JonesyKitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,063
Does anyone know if Barnes & Noble will be shipping it early like Amazon? Their site says its release date is still the 24th..
__________________
JonesyKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:50 PM   #247
Andrew Farago
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: California
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey22 View Post
how can the technodrome forum thank andrew fargo in a special way
Honestly, just knowing that TMNT fans are this excited about the book is thanks enough. It was a real labor of love, and I'm thrilled that it's getting such a huge reaction.
Andrew Farago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:55 PM   #248
Andrew Farago
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: California
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by LH View Post
Has anyone seen these in stores yet? I'm trying to decide whether to go out looking for one or order one online...
In stores this Tuesday, June 24! I think comic shops will be getting it on Wednesday, June 25. If you're near a good bookstore (especially an independent bookstore) or a comic book store, I'd recommend special ordering it from them if you can.

And if you're on a tight budget (and we've all been there at one time or another), go to your local or school library and ask if they'll order a copy. Teen librarians are really into comics and graphic novels right now, and they're always looking for recommendations. Even if you're ordering 50 copies for yourself, I'd love it if people asked librarians to order it so that more people will be able to read the book.
Andrew Farago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:10 PM   #249
Andrew Farago
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: California
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramboraph4life aka Matt View Post
Pretty nice book, probably would give it around 4 out of 5 stars. Disappointed with the 2003 section of the book (only about 1 & 1/2 pages of text if you added it all together, 2 if counting Turtles Forever...and the pics chosen for that section were kinda meh for me..just My Opinion, though), but some pretty cool stuff. Congrats on getting it released.
Thanks! I conducted some really great, thorough interviews with the 2003 series creators, but as I might have said elsewhere, 200 pages fills up pretty quickly when you're trying to hit everything from Venus de Milo to TMNT shaving kits. The great thing about the 2003 series (and I'm sure that everyone here knows this) is that Peter Laird's blog has probably spent the equivalent of three books' worth of space covering each episode in depth. I wish I'd had another 50 pages of space and another six months to go into more detail on each aspect of the Turtles, but the tradeoff is that the book's out in the 30th anniversary year instead of the 90th.
Andrew Farago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:28 PM   #250
Green Machine
Hench Mutant
 
Green Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 442
Can anyone tell me the difference between the reprint Mirage TMNT #1 that came with this book, and the original First Printing?
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:01 PM   #251
Andrew Farago
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: California
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Machine View Post
Can anyone tell me the difference between the reprint Mirage TMNT #1 that came with this book, and the original First Printing?
There are several differences. Off the top of my head:

*The first print of the first issue from 1984 is a bit larger than standard comic book dimensions, because the printer Eastman and Laird used had no prior experience with comic books.

*The reprint included with Ultimate Visual history is smaller than a standard comic book. The cover is cardstock, for durability, but it comes directly from a scan of the first print of issue #1, so that's an exact duplicate (but smaller).

*The interior art in the first print of issue #1 was basically a slightly-cleaned up version of the original art, printed (technically speaking) in black and white. The interior art in Ultimate Visual History was shot directly from the original art in 2013, and is reprinted in color, to pick up some of the finer details that haven't been in previous printings.

*The new reprint also includes the original art from the dedication page included in the second printing of TMNT #1, where Eastman and Laird dedicated the book to Jack Kirby and Frank Miller. That further differentiates it from the original printing of issue #1, but we had access to a really cool illustration and couldn't pass it up.

*The new reprint also includes an ad for the Gobbledygook mini-comics, which was part of the first printing of issue #1.

*There may be other projects involving the original art from issue #1 announced soon. Once I hear something definite, I can announce that here, although someone else will probably break that news before I do.
Andrew Farago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:37 PM   #252
Green Machine
Hench Mutant
 
Green Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Farago View Post
There are several differences. Off the top of my head:

*The first print of the first issue from 1984 is a bit larger than standard comic book dimensions, because the printer Eastman and Laird used had no prior experience with comic books.

*The reprint included with Ultimate Visual history is smaller than a standard comic book. The cover is cardstock, for durability, but it comes directly from a scan of the first print of issue #1, so that's an exact duplicate (but smaller).

*The interior art in the first print of issue #1 was basically a slightly-cleaned up version of the original art, printed (technically speaking) in black and white. The interior art in Ultimate Visual History was shot directly from the original art in 2013, and is reprinted in color, to pick up some of the finer details that haven't been in previous printings.

*The new reprint also includes the original art from the dedication page included in the second printing of TMNT #1, where Eastman and Laird dedicated the book to Jack Kirby and Frank Miller. That further differentiates it from the original printing of issue #1, but we had access to a really cool illustration and couldn't pass it up.

*The new reprint also includes an ad for the Gobbledygook mini-comics, which was part of the first printing of issue #1.

*There may be other projects involving the original art from issue #1 announced soon. Once I hear something definite, I can announce that here, although someone else will probably break that news before I do.
Thanks so much for the info! I still plan on obtaining a First Printing someday. So this helps!
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:55 PM   #253
Andrew Farago
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: California
Posts: 102
When you get around to buying a first print (I'd love to get one someday, too!), be aware that it was a popular target for counterfeiters once the book started to really take off.

Do your research, and make sure you're buying from someone you trust.
Andrew Farago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:57 PM   #254
drewizzle88
Stone Warrior
 
drewizzle88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SW Missouri
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Machine View Post
Can anyone tell me the difference between the reprint Mirage TMNT #1 that came with this book, and the original First Printing?
http://www.miragelicensing.com/comic...e01/01/01.html

this is helpful as well
__________________
drewizzle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:02 PM   #255
LH
Leatherhead
 
LH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Farago View Post
In stores this Tuesday, June 24! I think comic shops will be getting it on Wednesday, June 25. If you're near a good bookstore (especially an independent bookstore) or a comic book store, I'd recommend special ordering it from them if you can.
Awesome! Thank you! I'll head out to my local book store tonight and ask!
LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:32 PM   #256
Andrew Farago
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: California
Posts: 102
Right--I forgot to mention that the first print of the book had the Kirby/Miller dedication, but Eastman (or Laird) wrote "Second Printing/June 1984" on the original artwork for that page. Since that's the art we shot for Ultimate Visual History, that's the version that made it into the book.
Andrew Farago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:38 PM   #257
John Pannozzi
Stone Warrior
 
John Pannozzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 762
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Santo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerjacques
It was definitely not a kid's book.
That was the thing that always mystified me about the turn the franchise took when Eastman and Laird licensed the cartoon and the parallel comic book published by the same outfit that gave us Archie. The turtles' original origin story? The whole thing hinges on a for-Christ's-sake rape-murder!!!!
from here.
John Pannozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:52 PM   #258
Discogod
Resolutely Analogue.
 
Discogod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 1,707
Only had a chance to quickly thumb through, but it looks amazing! I didn't realise just how much stuff was included with it, either. Can't wait to get stuck in!
Discogod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:53 PM   #259
Green Machine
Hench Mutant
 
Green Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 442
I'm afraid to remove all the cool flyers and stuff that are inserted into the book.
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:07 PM   #260
rickwj324
Mad Scientist
 
rickwj324's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Farago View Post
Honestly, just knowing that TMNT fans are this excited about the book is thanks enough. It was a real labor of love, and I'm thrilled that it's getting such a huge reaction.
Andrew, I just wanted to personally thank you for this wonderful book. I haven't had time to read that much yet (having little ones do that to ya) but I really hate putting it down once I start reading!! You did an amazing job on this.

Thank you sir!
Rick
rickwj324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2 week ban 4 farago, farago to the bathroom, iceldrome pee patrol, looky loo in the loo, peepee poopoo, sick fans, ultimate visual history


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.