The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2017, 04:59 PM   #361
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 14,596
Since we're on memes. I wasn't aware that pronouncing doge as "douhj" was so widespread, it makes no sense. It's a Japanese dog, shibas are also referred as shibe on the net and the meme is seeped in weeabo stereotype. So it seems more appropriate to pronounce is as if it were a Japanese word: dō-ge.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:11 PM   #362
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
Since when has the word “fire” become a word used to describe something that’s cool???
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Fire? Well that's an odd one. Doesn't feel like one that will catch on long. Or maybe I'm just old. lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Or maybe, y'know, it's not in WIDESPREAD use. A niche thing. I work and hang out around teens all the time, and have NEVER heard that used until just now. So either it is a "thing" only in a small region, or among certain "cliques". Have never heard it used here at all. So it must not be in wide usage.
People have been saying "fire" as slang for like 20 years, easily. My friends & I would refer to a good hip-hop track or strain of bud as "fire" as far back as 2007, but I'm positive it greatly precedes that. I'm from NY, but I hear it down south too. Long been a big thing, just not in lame whitebread towns that are behind the 8-ball on most trends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
Fire has been in use for a while; that's why people like using the fire emoji a lot. Jesus Christ, you people ARE old. Nothing ages someone quite like being critical of modern slang.
The Technodrome has its share of squares.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:13 PM   #363
Glitter Wand
Thug
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 70
Check out this frog!
__________________

"You need a recon flyby? I'm the birdman for the job! Pigeon Pete's ago!" - Pete
Glitter Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:14 PM   #364
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 8,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
People have been saying "fire" as slang for like 20 years, easily. My friends & I would refer to a good hip-hop track or strain of bud as "fire" as far back as 2007, but I'm positive it greatly precedes that. I'm from NY, but I hear it down south too. Long been a big thing, just not in lame whitebread towns that are behind the 8-ball on most trends.



The Technodrome has its share of squares.
So basically only in the last ten years, according to your post- 2007 was not 20 years ago. And in spite of what you might think, I did not COME FROM a "lame whitebread town". In fact, my current town of residence is probably about half minorities- and I've never heard ANYONE use that term as slang. Here, fire is, well, fire. "Hot", yes, certainly. But "fire"? Um, no. And I'm around teens and 20-somethings EVERY DAY. Nobody uses it anywhere that I've ever heard of. Must be a NY or big city thing, honestly. Never even heard it in any media. You guys are probably just part of the niche crowd that actually DOES use it. I'm guessing a rap/hip-hop thing. 'Cause out in middle America? Nope. Not a thing here.
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:07 PM   #365
sdp
Detoxed Member
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tokio, Italy
Posts: 11,185
A few months ago I was called out here for saying companies like Facebook and the like were listening to us and well, looks like I was correct based on information that's coming out
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:21 PM   #366
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker
 
Utrommaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: what is going on..........
Posts: 5,318
I've only heard "fire" in a "you're on fire" context. Not literally but "you're doing awesome" way.


And I also just got a good slap in the face with irony...here I am cooling myself over Krang's death...and then I remembered...

My favorite death in all of cinema (or anything) is Audrey's in Little Shop of Horror. Audrey, my favorite character, who did absolutely nothing wrong and deserves all the good things.

So I'm just going to stop complaining entirely.
__________________
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:25 PM   #367
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 8,773
Wait I don't remember her dying. The plant sure but Audrey married Seymour didn't she?
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:30 PM   #368
Cure
Y'all need Jesus
 
Cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,938
Old people sure get defensive over slang they've never heard.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:40 PM   #369
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker
 
Utrommaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: what is going on..........
Posts: 5,318
Oh, she died in the original ending! And Seymour!

The original ending is wild. The plant wins at the end. And it's a metaphor, I guess.

There was an entire Kaiju-type scene with the plant's offspring taking over everything...it didn't go over well with the test audience.
__________________

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 10-29-2017 at 08:47 PM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:49 PM   #370
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 8,773
And some people are quick to.assume that "old" automatically means "out of touch" or "behind the times". Have I not already said that I am constantly surrounded by teens and 20-somethings? Obviously that term is not as widespread as some are making it sound- not when SEVERAL people from different areas have stated they never heard of it! Utrommaniac had it as close as I've ever seen. "On fire" is certainly a thing. But just "that's fire" is not a thing anywhere around here. Or apparently where others have never heard of it either. Says more about how "hip" or whatever some people think they are or how they assume that something that is a thing where they live is automatically a thing everywhere. Or even outside their own social circles.
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:53 PM   #371
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker
 
Utrommaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: what is going on..........
Posts: 5,318
Yeah, I'm even in that age group where that supposedly is a thing and I've never heard it or seen it anywhere.


I find it kind of funny how a lot of Halloween specials depict pumpkins as being excited to become Jackolanterns for one reason or another because they'll get to be "special" and "unique". When all things considered...it would be more like this.

(This is eleven years old now...)
__________________

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 10-29-2017 at 10:19 PM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:58 AM   #372
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
Great thanks, I always feel a little bad about it as it is. lol

I always wish they could just dry out the way a gourd would so I could keep them. (Did have one small one years ago left whole that dried out to a hard shell. Maybe it was a gourd of some kind and not unfamiliar with those that look pumpkin-ish, but never suspected that one. Then someone went and broke it a few years later and still looked like a dried out pumpkin on the inside, so I dunno.)

However, when I carve them, I tend to toss some of the seeds outside somewhere, unknown to anyone else. If the critters want them, fine. Though some years we'll just randomly have a tiny pumpkin patch growing as a seed or two made it. (*whistles innocently* I dunno how that happened...)

This is one of those years, from the seeds from the pumpkin I bought last year. I think it grew late though... We've got one nice little one turning orange. A second that was quickly catching up in size seems to have deflated though. Two or three other possibilities (and the plant or two are still putting on flowers since it has/had been such a warm October), but not sure if those will really ever have time to grow into much of anything. But we'll at least get one nice little one out of it. Though we may have to leave it alone and have it for Thanksgiving decor instead.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
Old people sure get defensive over slang they've never heard.
Actually it's weirder to take issue with anyone not being familiar with any random slag used somewhere in some part of a 3.7 million square mile country.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:06 AM   #373
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker
 
Utrommaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: what is going on..........
Posts: 5,318
Oh my god, have you ever baked the seeds? They're amazing!

It's the best part of pumpkin carving for me.
__________________
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:21 AM   #374
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
Oh yes, every year! Although too often I overdo them, hopefully I won't tomorrow after I carve it.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:24 AM   #375
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker
 
Utrommaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: what is going on..........
Posts: 5,318
I should really see about getting one for our porch, even though the neighborhood I'm in doesn't really have a lot of kids going out. I know at least of...three kids. Maybe four.

I'd probably be more likely to be watching Over the Garden Wall instead...
__________________
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 02:10 PM   #376
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 8,773
I got the first few pics uploaded last night. I will try to link to them once I get them all up. The display turned out really well this year. Everyone loves it!
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 02:19 PM   #377
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker
 
Utrommaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: what is going on..........
Posts: 5,318
Yeaaah, I'm getting my writing streak back!

A little bit!

But so many ideas are coming in and out.
__________________
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:54 PM   #378
sdp
Detoxed Member
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tokio, Italy
Posts: 11,185
I quoted someone in another thread and all these quotes from other threads long ago appeared in my post, odd how somehow the forum software remembered I quoted these and I guess never replied and for some reason thought today was a good day to reply to all these quotes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***First of Two Latin Kings*** View Post
A third movie could cross over with Usagi, since he's been established as existing in the same universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Meh, Lord of the Rings/Hobbit is the only fantasy genre that puts me to sleep everytime I try to get into it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
A TMNT RPG would be interesting and fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
We know Hera survives based on the Forces of Destiny news. The rest are up in the air but I can't imagine they'd do a mass killing of the main characters like Rogue One for a show targeted for kids. I hope the series finale is the Battle of Scarif from the Rebels pov.

If they don't kill Kanan or Ezra this season then they better have a damn good story reason to get them far away from the Rebel Alliance. I still hate the fact that those two will be running around Yavin so close to the start of Episode IV.

Filoni did say there is more to come from animation but didn't give any specifics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
*Futurama (I know it's come back before but you can't have enough of this show, and that new game that just came out with all the original VA's gives me hope)
*Mazinger Z
*Heathcliff
*Pinky and the Brain
*Duck Dodgers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Must everything come back these day, even if the trademark is no longer strong enough?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
The Pirates of Dark Water
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/e9omorkmAxU/hqdefault.jpg




Nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Carmen Sandiego.... and it's coming back as a reboot on Netflix 2019!
http://deadline.com/2017/04/carmen-s...es-1202071382/

http://i.imgur.com/d2drbsq.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Wouldn't mind seeing a reboot of Skeleton Warriors, although the only reason I care is for the nostalgia over the toys and trading cards rather than the show itself.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:57 PM   #379
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker
 
Utrommaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: what is going on..........
Posts: 5,318
Oh man, a project I'm working on just hit me smack in the face with memories of characters I made up when I was little...granted it's not identical to those characters, but still.
__________________
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:30 PM   #380
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia
 
DestronMirage22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,723
For as long as I can remember I’ve had these weird bags/dark spots underneath my eyes. They’re mostly hidden by my glasses, but they’re pretty noticeable when I’m not wearing them, especially in certain light.

Looking at them now, I can’t help but wonder whats caused them. Could they be natural? Or maybe my bad sleeping habits have somehow led to me having them?

Hmm...
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.