The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Did You Like Splinter's Origin Better in the Comics or in the Old Cartoon Series?
Comic Origin 30 53.57%
Cartoon Origin 17 30.36%
Neutral 9 16.07%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2007, 12:38 PM   #21
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
I'm on the fence too. I liked the OT origin as a kid, added to the Shredder/Splinter drama, though in retrospect, what the heck made Yoshi and Saki so bitter enemies? Saki's ambition? The comic origin shocked me a bit in the 1st movie, but it made sence to me and as others have said the biggest problem is the whole "mimicing his movements from my cage and learning the secret art of ninja." [Really with Seth and Amy mode]Really? Just by mimicing a ninjas movements you can become a ninja...really...[/Really with Seth and Amy mode] But I like both, though I was "brought up" on the OT/Archie origin.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:47 PM   #22
Mr._Mutant_Man
Mad Scientist
 
Mr._Mutant_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,340
I'm fine with a rat learning ninjitsu, since the comic was originally meant to be a parody anyway. We're already suspending disbelief for a radioactive goo making turtles bigger and smarter and aliens that look like brains, I can definitely buy into a rat learning martial arts at that point.
Mr._Mutant_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:59 PM   #23
Rooish
Devil's Advocate
 
Rooish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 2,130
I dunno ... I mean, i know we're suspending disbelief and all, but I like to think of the TMNT universe as a normal world that has been touched by the supernatural. So Splinter should have been, I think, a normal rat, until he came in contact with the mutagen. But he was ... a super-rat already.
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:01 PM   #24
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,684
Well, the thing is, Mutagen turns you into the last thing you touched. Bebop and Rocksteady were probably made to touch, pet or get licked by the rhino and the warthog before Shredder spilled the Mutagen on them. Maybe Yoshi had a few rats around him before he touched the turtles. He was taking a stroll down the sewers before he came back and found the turtles in the ooze.

Their bitter rivarly... hm... Shredder got Yoshi kicked out of his own clan, plus, he turned the 'once noble Foot Clan' into 'an army of crime'.... and deep down he knows Splinter's the only one that can kick his ass in a fight, should he interfere with his plans... so yeah... Splinter hates Shredder... and Shredder wants Splinter taken out.

As for the rat version... I think Eastman and Laird already went back and said he was some kind of super-rat already, since not only did he learn martial arts from a cage, he also lived over 10 or so years BEFORE encountering the ooze, which already surpasses the hell out of normal rat years. Adding the 15 years it took for the turtles to fully mutate, Splinter shouldn't have been alive in the first TMNT issue.
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:09 PM   #25
Lady R. Santi
Foot Soldier
 
Lady R. Santi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: MI, USA
Posts: 108
I voted neutral because I prefer neither. I like pieces of both. I like the fact that Hamato Yoshi is a man and yes, Tang Shen was a great story. IMHO, I think he should have been left human. There is more believability to it. And a lot of people joke about four mutant turtles being a bit unbelievable but if they're the weirdest thing in the story then it's not so bad. But a rat who learned ninja from his cage... If I could change anything about the TMNT, this would be it.
__________________

LadyRSanti@DeviantART
Lady R. Santi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:04 PM   #26
Zog the Equalizer
Stone Warrior
 
Zog the Equalizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Corpus Christi, Texas
Posts: 534
I prefer the comics. As far as a rat learning ninjutsu, I'd like to think that Splinter observed Yoshi's routine and remembered it and was able to comprehend and mimic it after he became intelligent. (I am aware that the comic showed him mimicking Yoshi as a rat so dont bite my head off about my theory being inconsistent with it)
__________________
"Pork rind?"
"Pork rind!"
Zog the Equalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:23 PM   #27
Mecha Cow
Gorgeous and modest too
 
Mecha Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 3,699
Quote:
I prefer the comics. As far as a rat learning ninjutsu, I'd like to think that Splinter observed Yoshi's routine and remembered it and was able to comprehend and mimic it after he became intelligent. (I am aware that the comic showed him mimicking Yoshi as a rat so dont bite my head off about my theory being inconsistent with it)
I agree, this has always been my interpretation as well. What was shown in the very first issue was never meant to be entirely serious anyway since it was intended to be a parody comic at the time.
__________________
Mecha Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:48 PM   #28
odupianist
Mad Scientist
 
odupianist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,744
It was meant to be parody AND it was only supposed to be one issue.
odupianist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:41 PM   #29
Mr._Mutant_Man
Mad Scientist
 
Mr._Mutant_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,340
Maybe it will be one of the things Laird goes George Lucas on?
Mr._Mutant_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:48 PM   #30
cross
Thug
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 76
..........

Last edited by cross; 12-04-2007 at 06:44 AM.
cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:52 PM   #31
cross
Thug
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 76
..........

Last edited by cross; 12-04-2007 at 06:44 AM.
cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 08:11 PM   #32
Scandia
Mad Scientist
 
Scandia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,265
I think that if Kevin and Peter redid the story, they would keep Splinter's origins.

Had they kept Splinter's story straight across all universes, the competition for my absolute favorite would be an even closer call between the 2k3 toon and the Archie comic (but 2k3 would still win due to its Leonardo focus).

They could have still had the betrayal and expulsion plot with Splinter as Yoshi's rat. Yoshi would have passed away of sadness and Splinter could still want to avenge him in a way.
__________________


Turtles fight with honor!!!
Scandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 08:25 PM   #33
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 22,398
Cartoon origin, it's just more comical to think they took an origin THAT dark and made it something that could be easily accessible

I've always loved innovation over the original idea
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:17 AM   #34
odupianist
Mad Scientist
 
odupianist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,744
Okay, NO ONE can say a rat learning ninjitsu from a cage is silly/proposterous/outrageous/undoable. We all love a show about four mutated ninja turtles, I mean really.
odupianist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:02 AM   #35
BigApple3AM
Mad Scientist
 
BigApple3AM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Supermarket Aisle
Posts: 1,635
I always looked at the cartoon origin like Ooze/Mutagen combines the subjects DNA with the last thing that touched them's DNA.
Therefore, splinter's transformation scene could go like so:
Yoshi touches turtles, then touches rats. Turtles come in contact with mutagen, Yoshi comes in contact with mutagen. Turtles then change into half way to humans, and Hamato Yoshi turns half way into a rat.

Last edited by BigApple3AM; 10-18-2007 at 12:11 PM.
BigApple3AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:25 AM   #36
Time Mistress
Stone Warrior
 
Time Mistress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pennshellvania, or the 79th level of Null-Time
Posts: 710
Neutral. They both work. I'm more used to the comic origin now, but I find I still quite like the OT one.
__________________
AKA the Edwardian Adventuress and Fairlady_Z



"You just made your last mistake, Bugeyes -- 'cuz nobody beats up my best buddy and gets away with it -- Nobody! Got that?!"
Raphael about Michaelangelo, TMNT Volume 1
Time Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:26 PM   #37
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Mutant_Man View Post
Maybe it will be one of the things Laird goes George Lucas on?
They already did when they started saying Splinter wasn't really an ordinary rat to begin with...

Quote:
Originally Posted by odupianist View Post
Okay, NO ONE can say a rat learning ninjitsu from a cage is silly/proposterous/outrageous/undoable. We all love a show about four mutated ninja turtles, I mean really.
Except for the fact that it was supposed to be a normal non-mutant rat learning ninjitsu. I mean... at least the turtles weren't already bustin one-liners and wisecracks when they were still pets swimming around a glass bowl.
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:05 AM   #38
Sage Ninja
Band of the Hawk
 
Sage Ninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 3,926
I prefere the classic cartoon origin of Splinter being Yoshi that was framed by Shredder and cast out of the foot clan so that Shredder could take his place.

I just think that the bitter rivalry between Yoshi and Saki was a good one and added something to the whole plot. However I really wish that the old show had gone more deeply into the Saki being Yoshi's student angle a bit more. You never really know why exactly Saki hated Yoshi so much other than the fact that he hates says he he hates him. And it would have been nice to find out when exactly Shredder became the Shredder.
__________________

Cassandra: You won't fight me, but will you fight--for him!

Cassandra's Revenge

~Tangled the Series
________________________________
http://frankviola.org/2012/01/30/godsviewofawoman/
_______________________________
http://nox-artemis.tumblr.com/post/4...k-and-feminism
Sage Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 07:57 AM   #39
KROW
Meat-n-Potatoes Man
 
KROW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: State's Anus, NY
Posts: 6,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gisaku Kato View Post
I prefer the comics. As far as a rat learning ninjutsu, I'd like to think that Splinter observed Yoshi's routine and remembered it and was able to comprehend and mimic it after he became intelligent. (I am aware that the comic showed him mimicking Yoshi as a rat so dont bite my head off about my theory being inconsistent with it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha Cow View Post
I agree, this has always been my interpretation as well. What was shown in the very first issue was never meant to be entirely serious anyway since it was intended to be a parody comic at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odupianist View Post
It was meant to be parody AND it was only supposed to be one issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odupianist View Post
Okay, NO ONE can say a rat learning ninjitsu from a cage is silly/proposterous/outrageous/undoable. We all love a show about four mutated ninja turtles, I mean really.
While I understand the first issue was not meant to be taken seriously (after all, the turtles made their printed debut in a book called Gobbledygook with The Flaming Carrot), I still say that a rat -- a normal, average, everyday rat -- learning martial arts from observation in a cage is ridiculous. I can say it's ridiculous, because before the ooze showed up, we readers still had realism when Splinter was recanting his origin.

Although I do like the interpretation here of Splinter being able to hang on to that knowledge after the mutagen made him more intelligent, I think the OT origin made just a little more sense. It's easier to comprehend that a human or animal can transform with the ooze after being in contact with one another.

My take on the comic origin, after waving off the rat-mimicking, is that after being mutated, Splinter found a book on ninjitsu or martial arts (like he did with the Renaissance book) and perhaps had a flash of memory from his time in Yoshi's house.

I'm still borderline on both origins, though. I like the comic for its originality and the OT's for its charm.
__________________

- Optimus Acid Trip - Cult of a Half-Shell - Raiden's Bitter Tongue -
I don't try to be funny; I fail at it naturally.
KROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:08 AM   #40
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,684
Saki was probably jealous that Ysoshi was a better fighter than him and leader of the Foot. He probably felt he'd be a much better leader. I guess, to not risk that Yoshi would one day return to defeat him or expose him, he followed him to New York and tried to kill him off with the Mutagen.


Shouldn't Krang have told Shredder what exactly the ****in Mutagen DOES before giving it to him to destroy Yoshi? And just how did Krang know that 'Yoshi was given the powers of the rats'??? Just how long were Shredder and Krang spying on them and how come they don't know the location of their lair????
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.