The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Did You Like Splinter's Origin Better in the Comics or in the Old Cartoon Series?
Comic Origin 30 53.57%
Cartoon Origin 17 30.36%
Neutral 9 16.07%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2007, 05:03 PM   #1
cross
Thug
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 76
Question Did You Like Splinter's Origin Better in the Comics or in the Old Cartoon Series?

..........

Last edited by cross; 12-04-2007 at 06:44 AM.
cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:17 PM   #2
Mr._Mutant_Man
Mad Scientist
 
Mr._Mutant_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,340
I prefer the comic origin. I like the ooze better when it just causes things to grow and mutate, as opposed to making people/things take on attributes of whatever they last touched.
Mr._Mutant_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:30 PM   #3
Drtooth
Foot Elite
 
Drtooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,439
Well, considering the cartoon had a huge plot hole in it, since he actually was in conctact with the turtles closer to having contact with the rats, I'm going for the comic version. I felt the mutagen in the series was a little "iffy" considering that an animal had to be in contact with another animal to mutate. I never did care for that. kind of confusing.

Though I will say, there have been some great instances where Splinter being human was the source of drama and motivated the plot. Like Shreddered and Splintered .
__________________
[Insert mildly amusing banner here]
Drtooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:25 PM   #4
Scandia
Mad Scientist
 
Scandia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,265
I prefer the comics origin.

Of course, as many people did, I was shocked about the rat origins in the movies- me being accustomed to the OT.

But I think that having Hamato Yoshi and Splinter be two separate characters is even cooler. Plus I like Tang Shen. More background and stories this way.
__________________


Turtles fight with honor!!!
Scandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:34 PM   #5
KROW
Meat-n-Potatoes Man
 
KROW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: State's Anus, NY
Posts: 6,472
I'm dead level with the question. On one hand, I prefer the mutation process in the comics. On the other, I think having a rat mimic movements in a cage is silly. Though I think that the mutagen's requirements for it to work are a bit hokey and kind of confusing, it did leave a lot of options open for other characters.

In any event, both were better than his devolving in the Image series.
__________________

- Optimus Acid Trip - Cult of a Half-Shell - Raiden's Bitter Tongue -
I don't try to be funny; I fail at it naturally.
KROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:39 PM   #6
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,112
Your poll is flawed... You're not asking a yes or no question, but those are the only choices.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:59 PM   #7
Mecha Cow
Gorgeous and modest too
 
Mecha Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 3,699
Comic. I don't like the concept of Splinter and Yoshi being the same character.
__________________
Mecha Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:14 PM   #8
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,684
The old toon didn't make sense in the sense that Splinter should have bascially become the 5th Turtle.... but I did like how him being Yoshi made the Splinter/Shredder thing that much more personal. Plus, I like how the mutagen differed between either mutated animals or human mutated into animals. If the cartoon explored it further, it would have made for more bestial mutants (the animals) and more traumatic mutants (the humans facing the fact they're now mutants).

The comic origin would have been ok if they didn't have the SPlinter knowing martial arts even though he was a normal rat thing. But I guess, he'd have to know martial arts somehow to train the turtles...
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:16 PM   #9
Colliwog
Foot Soldier
 
Colliwog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ohio, U.S.
Posts: 108
I prefer Splinter being a rat from the start, and mutating just as the Turtles had. :3
__________________
Colliwog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:57 PM   #10
Magneto
Foot Soldier
 
Magneto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Marvel Universe
Posts: 173
Gotta go with the general consensus.

Comic book origin.
Magneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:16 PM   #11
Bigfoot
Stone Warrior
 
Bigfoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Wandering aimlessly...
Posts: 764
Comic Book Origin All The Way!!!

Rat to mutated rat is soooooo much more believable than human to mutated rat. Duh! lol...
Bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:46 PM   #12
shuriken
Second City Shinobi
 
shuriken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chi-town
Posts: 4,182
Comic book origin due to the fact that in the cartoon he should have been a rat/turtle mutant crossbreed that I imagine would be pretty grotesque.
__________________
Some things are better left unsaid. This isn't one of them
shuriken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:02 AM   #13
cross
Thug
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 76
..........

Last edited by cross; 12-04-2007 at 06:44 AM.
cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:23 AM   #14
Krang
Admin and Sega Guru
 
Krang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Dimension X
Posts: 3,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drtooth View Post
Well, considering the cartoon had a huge plot hole in it, since he actually was in conctact with the turtles closer to having contact with the rats, I'm going for the comic version.
No, he stepped in the mutagen before ever touching the mutagen-covered turtles, so he had already begun mutating into a rat. At that point, it didn't matter that he made contact with the turtles since he was already a mutant. Makes sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross View Post
Yeah I know I messed up when I made it
No problem, I fixed it and reset the vote counts to 0 (feel free to vote again, everyone).
__________________

"My motherboard's microchips are chomping at the... 'bit'. A little computer humor." --Krang, Welcome Back, Polarisoids
Krang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:04 AM   #15
sdp
Detoxed Member
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tokio, Italy
Posts: 11,186
I'm with Krang it makes perfect sense when I was a kid and now.


As to which origin I prefer, the Toon origin. It gives the character more dept and more "tragic". I always found the rat learning martial arts from its cage silly.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 08:10 AM   #16
Leonardo_
Stone Warrior
 
Leonardo_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 813
I agree, sdp. The same goes for me.
__________________

Leonardo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:04 AM   #17
Drtooth
Foot Elite
 
Drtooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krang View Post
No, he stepped in the mutagen before ever touching the mutagen-covered turtles, so he had already begun mutating into a rat. At that point, it didn't matter that he made contact with the turtles since he was already a mutant. Makes sense to me.
Mmmh... I have to rewatch the episode for that. Good eye Krang.
__________________
[Insert mildly amusing banner here]
Drtooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:47 AM   #18
odupianist
Mad Scientist
 
odupianist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,744
But the show made it seem like he was with the turtles constantly hence my thinking (as well as others) that he should have had some turtle in his mutation.

EDIT: Think about it like this... (and this has even changed my thinking a bit about it)

Bebop and Rocksteady... I'm sure they had been around other animals more than a rhino and warthog before being mutated. Maybe they had a pet cat or were around stray cats (being in a gang and all). Then all of a sudden they're both next to a rhino and warthog and BAM that's what they become. Granted, they were both within proximy of the rhino AND warthog, so therefore they both should have had similar traits of both animals. We need to find the clip or something (I had no luck on YouTube) so we can see how Yoshi's transformation happens. Krang makes a valid point, but I never saw it like that. I saw it as who he spent more time with, but if that was the case, Rocksteady and Bebop could have had other animal traits as well. So, yeah

Last edited by odupianist; 10-17-2007 at 11:02 AM. Reason: just a thought
odupianist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:54 AM   #19
Tinuvielsdreams
Nothing without passion
 
Tinuvielsdreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,722
Too me it makes better sense and aids the story flow if he starts as a pet rat. It's more appropriate. I think if the turtles start as animals he should too. It was the way he was meant to be anyway
Tinuvielsdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:58 AM   #20
Rooish
Devil's Advocate
 
Rooish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 2,130
Both versions are kind of flawed. I probably prefer Splinter's origin in the cartoon better, because it's just effing stupid that Splinter was able to learn ninjitsu as a pet rat. Yes, rats are smart. No, they cannot learn ninjitsu.

But I like Hamato Yoshi's story better in the comics. It's a little more violent and tragic. Although in the comics, Hamato Yoshi killed Oroku Saki's brother before Saki killed him, so that's a little morally sketchy.

And I do like the comics idea of the mutagen turning things into smarter, bigger, more humanoid animals.
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.