The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2008, 07:09 PM   #21
TristanHuwJones
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
TristanHuwJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,419
It's interesting when you take into account what he says about Leo earlier in the issue. I think Raph is lying, but only in regards to Leo...
__________________
Still alive (somehow)...
tristansbones.bsky.social
and instagram @ instagram.com/tristans_bones
TristanHuwJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:45 PM   #22
Scandia
Mad Scientist
 
Scandia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,265
I did not particularly like this Tale. It was mediocre IMHO.
__________________


Turtles fight with honor!!!
Scandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:15 PM   #23
TristanHuwJones
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
TristanHuwJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,419
I'm a Lovecraft fan, so I dug! I liked the little nuances too, particularly the bit about them carrying their weapons now (or in the not too distant future).
__________________
Still alive (somehow)...
tristansbones.bsky.social
and instagram @ instagram.com/tristans_bones
TristanHuwJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:55 PM   #24
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,479
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about Raph and Leo too. Why the disdain?

A couple of things I noticed:
1. Dooney's frontspiece reminded me of the Cloverfield monster. Just look at that! (You can see a tiny Don and Raph on the mountainside trying to figure out how to beat this thing)

2. Donatello's a Red Sox fan? Who knew he followed baseball? Either that or he's a poser.

And for the record, what are the Lovecraft references?, as I am unfamiliar with his work.

EDIT: This is my 250th post which now makes me a "Hench Mutant." My life now has fulfillment.
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:08 AM   #25
DrSpengler
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
And for the record, what are the Lovecraft references?, as I am unfamiliar with his work.
The hideous fish people are a reference to "Dagon" and "The Shadow Over Innsmouth". While the lead villain is more or less an homage to the Old Ones like Cthulhu; primordial gods that slumber where man can't reach but influence the world through dreams and other methods.

The title of the pin-up on the last page was a reference to Abdul Alhazred, the Mad Arab who wrote the Necromonicon (in Lovecraft's fiction, I mean).
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:58 PM   #26
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
The hideous fish people are a reference to "Dagon" and "The Shadow Over Innsmouth". While the lead villain is more or less an homage to the Old Ones like Cthulhu; primordial gods that slumber where man can't reach but influence the world through dreams and other methods.

The title of the pin-up on the last page was a reference to Abdul Alhazred, the Mad Arab who wrote the Necromonicon (in Lovecraft's fiction, I mean).
Thanks, DrSpengler. And speaking of your namesake, I know the Real G-busters made references to Lovecraft. I may have to check him out someday!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:24 AM   #27
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter
 
Raph's Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Jakku
Posts: 10,831
Ok... so this issue supposadly takes place in Vol 4 but where??? Raph and Leo don't seem to be getting along. Leo's off to who knows where. Probably either doing stuff with Karai, Shredder, or Radical (depending on when it takes place).

The ending seems to indicate that the creature will return at some point. Which is kewl. Another storyline going on.

Now the Dudleytown Donatello was talking about is a real place in Connecticut.

From Wikipedia (there's several links to footage from ghost hunting shows at the bottom):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dudleytown%2C_Connecticut

Quote:
In addition to the economic factors in its decline, Dudleytown developed a reputation as a haunted place. Tales of several suicides, mass hysteria, ghost sightings, and demonic contacts have been mistakenly attributed to the small settlement of Dudleytown, leading to many modern-day rumors. In a 1993 interview in Playboy Magazine, comedian Dan Aykroyd claimed that Dudleytown, "Massachusetts" was "the scariest place on Earth". Dudleytown is actually located in Connecticut. While it has been speculated that the fear generated by such legends contributed greatly to the decline of Dudleytown, the town's ultimate demise more likely occurred due to poor choices of location by its original founders. The settlement, in addition to being sequestered from the town proper in a difficult-to-reach area, and having very poor soil for crop-growth, lay in the shadows of three mountain peaks which minimized its exposure to sunlight, hence the name of its largest avenue, Dark Entry Forest Road.

The "Curse of Dudleytown" is said to have been begun in the 1940s, but in actuality has its origins in 1938 with the publication of a book by Iveagh Hunt Sterry and William Garrigus entitled "They Found A Way: Connecticut's Restless People". The book's authors allude to the Dudleytown curse and refer to many of these myths and legends as historical fact. From the Connecticut Heritage: "Sterry, Iveagh H., and Garrigus, William H. They Found a Way: Connecticut’s Restless People. Brattleboro, 1938. This is the sort of popular history that should be kept out of the hands of children and unwary adults. It is full of legend and long-exposed myths put out as though they were true. One would do much better with Peals, Lee, or Roth." The curse was revived in a 1970s National Enquirer article whose headline proclaimed, "Deadly Curse Turned New England Village Into A Ghost Town!". The uncredited article caught the attention of The Warrens of Connecticut, who proceeded to shoot a Halloween special on the paranormal at the site of the former settlement. After proclaiming that Dudleytown was "demonically possessed", paranormal groups and amateur ghost hunters from all over the world began to descend on the small Connecticut town of Cornwall. The "curse" allegedly had its beginnings in England where the court of King George II took action against the Barons Dudley for supposed malfeasance against the crown. Their father was supposedly descended from these Dudleys who had fled England in the 1700s to escape accusations of high treason. The Dudley family was said to be cursed for its political opposition to the king. However, the Dudleys of Dudleytown appear to have no genealogical descent from the Barons Dudley of England. According to the actual town records of Cornwall, no murders or suicides ever took place in Dudleytown. As for the ghostly sightings and demonic activity, no town records of such occurrences exist to support such claims.

Due to its "haunted" reputation, the area has attracted many ghost hunters, as well as adolescents willing to cause trouble. In the late 1990s, vandals visiting the area committed arson, resulting in a large forest fire that threatened many of the private residences on the property. Following this episode, the Dark Entry Forest Association (which owns the property that includes the site of the former settlement) closed the area down to unauthorized visitors to protect the assets of the community. Still, multiple arrests are made every year, prompting the DEF to continue to keep the area off limits to visitors.

In 2006, Red Barn Films, a small production company in Massachusetts initiated an investigation into the "Curse" and the reported paranormal phenomena in Dudleytown, as the basis for a feature film. The film is planned for 2009.
__________________
Raph's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:57 AM   #28
PAAATE
Stone Warrior
 
PAAATE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Based on what was said about the consequences of lies, are we led to believe Raph intentionally lying to Mike on the last page?
Maybe Mike and Raph'll have some kind of a fight.. I just read the issue and when I saw the last page I was like "Well, that's a little too cute..", then I noticed the crack in the rocks and got all excited
__________________
I'm a member. I forgot about it, so now I'm a remember.
PAAATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:01 PM   #29
Ninjinister
無問題
 
Ninjinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moesko Island, WA
Posts: 14,348
Lovecraftian (or is it Lovecraft-esque?) references can be a good thing if done correctly, instead of just used in the sort of tone of "hey look, we finally read some of Lovecraft's work, so we can reference it!"... which this story, unfortunately, is a case of the latter. A better take on the Lovecraft mythos would be something like Stockman pulling a Herbert West. Or hell, The Darkness Within even did it better - and had references to Dante to boot!
__________________
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:16 AM   #30
odupianist
Mad Scientist
 
odupianist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,744
So I picked up my issue today (I know, I'm late). I know they were playing baseball, but did any one else think of future Don and Raph with that cap on and them running together? I have to agree with Scandia, kind of mediocre issue. I also figure this issue takes place before the TMNT get their tats from the Utroms (hope that helps DrS).
odupianist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:42 PM   #31
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored
 
***First of Two Latin Kings***'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: The Farm That Time Forgot
Posts: 8,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putrescent View Post
oh boy lol I hate when people do that like when the spell Utrom Uthrom.
Don't you spell things wrong all the time?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets



International shipping assistance: [email protected]
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:30 PM   #32
Shark
Stone Warrior
 
Shark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: In my Wii, playing with my Wii. Playing with TMNT on the Wii. Wii Play TMNT WEEE!!!
Posts: 653
Well my town finally got a comic store for the first time ever, so now my town finally sells comics, though TMNT wasn't one of them. But they told me I could become a member, and order comics (Sonic the Hedgehog, and TMNT being the only one's on my list). So now I get TMNT comics, this issue being the first time I got a TMNT comic since the Archie days. Anyway I never see this series much (so far the black and white gets on my nerves, as I can barely ever tell one turtle from the other unless a name is mentioned, or a weapon is shown), but I liked this issue. And if you guys are saying it wasn't very good, then I can't imagine how I'll feel about a good issue. Damn I can't wait now...
__________________
The Forum's Un-Official Karai Obsessor!!!

And my unhealthy obsession for Karai continues...I need therapy...

Enter: Shadow Assassin RP has just started, and still open for new people.
Favorite Sloganizer Quotes: "I quit smokeing with Karai.", "Karai on the outside, tasty on the inside." and "I'd sleep with Karai." Man that Sloganizer can be pretty perverted O.o
Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:43 PM   #33
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!
 
VaughnMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 11,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_CJJ View Post
Don't you spell things wrong all the time?
Let me tell ya John I missed you just so much, and I think spelling a characters name that's talked about all the time on a site about said characters is a bit differnt.
If I was going to do an english paper I'd make sure my spelling was perfect thanks.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:38 AM   #34
Sage Ninja
Band of the Hawk
 
Sage Ninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 3,926
can I ask who the heck Radical is and what her connection to Leo is?
__________________

Cassandra: You won't fight me, but will you fight--for him!

Cassandra's Revenge

~Tangled the Series
________________________________
http://frankviola.org/2012/01/30/godsviewofawoman/
_______________________________
http://nox-artemis.tumblr.com/post/4...k-and-feminism
Sage Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 03:15 AM   #35
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!
 
VaughnMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 11,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Ninja View Post
can I ask who the heck Radical is and what her connection to Leo is?
A Super Mutant Human I guess she gained Super Powers via lignting if I recall, some one please correct me if I'm wrong.
And I guess her connection with Leonardo is that they had been seeing one another later in their lives.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:14 PM   #36
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!
 
VaughnMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 11,833
Sorry to double post but I just got this issue today and I enjoyed this one quite a bit.
I thought Jim's art was much better in this issue than #46
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:47 PM   #37
Revan
Han Shot First
 
Revan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Paper Street Soap Company
Posts: 3,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putrescent View Post
A Super Mutant Human I guess she gained Super Powers via lignting if I recall, some one please correct me if I'm wrong.
And I guess her connection with Leonardo is that they had been seeing one another later in their lives.
yup and the same bolt hit carnage. they both had to gain powers or neither of them would have.
__________________
Revan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:13 PM   #38
discordiatookie
facehugger
 
discordiatookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
Posts: 2,817
Finally picked up this issue, and I dug!

Lawson does awesome 'turtles in the woods' art, methinks.

And great, ominous ending.
__________________
Oh Discordia! Charyou Tree! Come, Reap!
Don't tell us to grow up and out of it
I got my cloak and dagger in a bar room brawl

You actually trying to read this tiny text? Damn, you're dedicated! This is all just for effect you know...

original TMNT art collection
discordiatookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comic discussion, tales of the tmnt


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.