The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #21
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
It's always fun to have artists do other characters.
Dooney did a Ninja Fugitoid for me once, Berger I had do Bebop, Rocksteady & Krang, Eastman I got a Shredder/Splinter from.
Got a Casey Jones from Lawson, too.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #22
AleXviD
Foot Soldier
 
AleXviD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 187
Paul Harmon, hands down. And, I suppose, Michael Dooney and Chris Allan.
AleXviD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:18 AM   #23
Fugitoid Jones
Stone Warrior
 
Fugitoid Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: D'hoonib, VT
Posts: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticplayhouse View Post
who are your top three favorite turtle renditions (NOT including work from Eastman &/or Laird)
And yet, like 5 or 6 people list Eastman and/or Laird. I'm glad people are paying attention




As for me, I would have to say Chris Allan, Mark Bode, and AC Farley, with Michael Dooney just barely outside the top 3.
__________________

"You are right, I have always known about man. From the evidence, I believe his wisdom must walk hand and hand with his idiocy. His emotions must rule his brain. He must be a warlike creature who gives battle to everything around him, even himself."
-Dr. Zaius
Fugitoid Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:52 AM   #24
Donnie
Something from the Past
 
Donnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,256
I forgot that David Peterson counts, his covers are amazing...
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #25
Plasticplayhouse
the gray ghost
 
Plasticplayhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North East
Posts: 2,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleXviD View Post
Paul Harmon, hands down. And, I suppose, Michael Dooney and Chris Allan.
I wasn't familiar with harmon, but man, after taking a look back, his stuff is off the charts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitoid Jones View Post
And yet, like 5 or 6 people list Eastman and/or Laird. I'm glad people are paying attention




As for me, I would have to say Chris Allan, Mark Bode, and AC Farley, with Michael Dooney just barely outside the top 3.
lol, I figured we would still get several E&L's in there. Bode is a good one. He has a very fun style.
__________________
Want to see more of my custom figures?
http://plasticplayhouse.deviantart.com/
Plasticplayhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:57 AM   #26
Jephael
That whack job behind you
 
Jephael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,143
I have to go with Dan Berger. He's done two drawings for me! Someday I might ask him to do a third.
__________________
"I like it. Simple, but effective!"
Raphael; The Mean Machines - 1988

Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #27
pannoni1
Foot Elite
 
pannoni1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 3,447
Jim Lawson
Michael Dooney (including those great magazine covers/posters)
Tom Waltz (a great start to the IDW era)
__________________
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...d.php?t=37065- MY WANT LIST

TMNT FAN CLUB LINK: http://sot.ag/gCjK/

30 years of Turtle Power!
pannoni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #28
Venom
Space Knight
 
Venom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by pannoni1 View Post
Jim Lawson
Michael Dooney (including those great magazine covers/posters)
Tom Waltz (a great start to the IDW era)
Do you mean Dan Duncan? Tom's the writer...
__________________
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #29
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime
 
Whatswiththeheadbands?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: The Shadow's Sanctum
Posts: 3,007
stan sakai
ross cambell
jim lawson
__________________
Who knows what Evil lurks in the hearts of Men?
The Shadow knows...
Whatswiththeheadbands? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #30
Lord Nightwalker
Stone Warrior
 
Lord Nightwalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 698
Plastic, I can not pick just three. It's impossible. The quality has been exceptionaly good over the years.
Lord Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #31
Lordmylar06
Stone Warrior
 
Lordmylar06's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hurst, TX
Posts: 961
A.C. Farley(Archie pinups style was my favorite)
Chris Allan (His style toward the end of the Archie series improved greatly from what it was when he started)
Valerio Schiti (I know that Schiti only did the one micro and a variant cover, but I wanted to see that guy on the IDW comic more than anything.)
It's tough picking the top 3 favorite renditions. I have so many favorite artists and they do have varying styles when drawing the TMNT.
Lordmylar06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #32
Raphaeline
Foot Soldier
 
Raphaeline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 185
I love Mateus Santolouco's style, he's doing a great job on the TMNT IDW comics.
__________________
My deviantart
Raphaeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:49 PM   #33
funatic
Mad Scientist
 
funatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Northampton, MA
Posts: 1,226
Berger - favorite of the Mirage old guard, even moreso than E/L :0
Campbell - favorite of the new IDW crew, his turtles actually look teenage
Zulli - most original (& realistic) spin on the turtles
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:09 PM   #34
Cipher
Foot Elite
 
Cipher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,454
Oof, only three? That's tough, but I think I can narrow it down to:

1) Jim Lawson ("City at War"/Volume 2 era, followed by his current style) -
Shouldn't be any surprise. He really gave the Mirage book its identity, especially in its quieter eras. As much as I sometimes lamented the fact that his isn't a style set to move action books off shelves (as if that's what the Mirage issues even were), I find myself missing the tone it gave the book.

2) Dan Duncan -
In the same way Lawson defined Mirage, Duncan gave the IDW series its identity, and I find myself enjoying that world less now that he's gone. And like Lawson, it's also an idiosyncratic style that I think works better for its deviations from the norm.

On a purely technical level, holy sh*t can that guy draw an action scene. His twelve-issue run has some of the most fluid displays of movement I've ever seen in an American comic, and it's no wonder he left that world to primarily go into storyboarding.

3) Craig "A.C." Farley -
Like no sh*t, right? His bulky, wide-eyed Turtles and incredibly detailed world are capable of portraying both a sense of horror and sadness, often at the same time. A perfect fit for the Mirage series, even if most of his work consisted of covers.

Honorable mention: Mike Zulli's nightmarish, hyper-realistic Turtles.

On a side note, these aren't just my choices having to exclude Eastman and Laird. These are my top four period.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:01 AM   #35
liugeaux
Hench Mutant
 
liugeaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 329
Top three, not including E&L? Probably...

Chris Allen - When I think "Turtles Comics" from when I was a kid, Allen's art comes to mind. It was probably due to the fondness I had for the stories he drew, but its so ingrained in my mind, he has to be my top choice.

Michael Dooney - Dude has range and when he draws covers the art just punches you in the face. He has a talent for drawing the turtles as badasses without it being ridiculous.

Ben Bates - Of the IDW run, Bates' art is my favorite. It has a festive feel to it, and some of the best action scenes in any TMNT comics ever. Oh and his covers are astonishingly rad. I know he's doing the B&R micro, and I hope they keep tapping him for stuff.

Honorable Mention goes to Ross Campbell, and Dan Berger.
__________________
My Blog: liugeaux.com
My Podcast!: Reality Breached
My Ninja Turtles Podcast: Shellheads: A TMNT Podcast
liugeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #36
Chris
Mad Scientist
 
Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: UK
Posts: 1,898
Tough question!

I guess if I had to narrow it down to 3 it would be Michael Dooney, Dan Berger and Ben Bates. But very close behind them is Jim Lawson, Chris Allen and Mateus Santolouco (and a whole host of other greats close behind them as well, TMNT has been blessed with some great artists).
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:52 AM   #37
The Fifth Turtle
Mad Scientist
 
The Fifth Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Chicago sewer
Posts: 2,488
E&L
Duncan
Lawson
The Fifth Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #38
pingclang
Stone Warrior
 
pingclang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 552
1: Eastman and Laird, goes without saying.
2: Dooney, similar to Eastman/Laird yet so different. Really nice touches.
3: Dan Duncan, awesome style that fit so well.

Honorable Mention: I actually like Mitchrooney`s weird cartoon style in the Adventures comics. It looked really cool for some reason.
pingclang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:47 PM   #39
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,809
Dooney and Dan Berger were my favorite artists of Mirage after Kevin/Peter.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.