The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
Plasticplayhouse
the gray ghost
 
Plasticplayhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North East
Posts: 2,194
What are your top 3 favorite renditions of the turtles

who are your top three favorite turtle renditions (NOT including work from Eastman &/or Laird)

my top three favorite renditions are:

Farley
Dooney (current style. i wasnt a big fan of his early comic work)
Ross Campbell (i loved the covers for bad moon rising)

honorable mention for me is...believe it or not...Tom McWeeney (as drawn SPECIFICALLY in issue 34) i have always loved that specific rendition. his later renditions i didnt care for.
__________________
Want to see more of my custom figures?
http://plasticplayhouse.deviantart.com/
Plasticplayhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:20 AM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,798
Aside from Eastman/Laird, I would say Michael Dooney and Chris Allen draw the best looking versions of the Turtles.

There is just something about the way Dooney and Chris Allen drew them that makes me think, "THAT'S how the ninja turtles are supposed to look!"

I suppose Dan Berger would be a third. I do like Lawson's Turtles too.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
azrael
Mad Scientist
 
azrael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: loganville, ga
Posts: 1,362
Eastman/Laird but after them its

Movie 1 turtles
Dooney
Zulli
__________________
Creator of The Death Poppets
azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
junkboy
Hench Mutant
 
junkboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Turkey
Posts: 443
AC Farley
Michael Zulli
Paul Harmon
__________________
junkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:15 AM   #5
marcelangelo
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,471
my best loved renditions of the turtles in comics apart from kevin and peters are

stan sakais
a.c. farleys
jim lawsons
marcelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:33 AM   #6
Plasticplayhouse
the gray ghost
 
Plasticplayhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North East
Posts: 2,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelangelo View Post
stab sakai
good one. I didn't even think of stan
__________________
Want to see more of my custom figures?
http://plasticplayhouse.deviantart.com/
Plasticplayhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:40 AM   #7
Donnie
Something from the Past
 
Donnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,256
So you mean comic only I'm guessing. If that's the case,

1. Ross Campbell, hands down.
2. Rick McCollum
3. Rick Corben

Hm, a lot of R's there, haha.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #8
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,295
Mike Dooney
Ken Mitchroney
Chris Allen
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #9
HaNotsri
Random Punk
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 15
Eastman/Laird
AC Farley
Jim Lawson

No particular order
HaNotsri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:41 PM   #10
Venom
Space Knight
 
Venom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,637
Too many great version for me to choose just 3.

Like most folks I guess if forced to pick just 3 I would go with Dooney, Berger and Farley.
__________________
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #11
Matches Malone
Stone Warrior
 
Matches Malone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: California
Posts: 954
As usual I have to give A.C. Farley his due.

I almost want to credit Jim Lawson as two versions because his style varies so greatly. I love his Return To New York stuff, some of the best turtle art ever, and I also love the more stylized turtles in City At War (and his works following to a lesser extent.)

I love Ross Campbell's and David Peterson's work but hesitate go say for certain since they've only done covers and interior works is much more telling. So in my cheating logic, I let them share a spot! But I guess we'll see Ross' work soon enough!!

Honorable mention goes to Eric Talbot!
__________________
"Baxter, you slime puppy!"
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:31 PM   #12
The Master
Random Punk
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Here.
Posts: 43
AC Farley
Frank Fosco
Michael Dooney
The Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:41 PM   #13
Uki
Hench Mutant
 
Uki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Woodlands, Tx
Posts: 337
I like the Classics:

Laird
Eastman
Dooney

But it's been awhile since I read much if the old Mirage stuff. I'll get back to this thread after some digging.
__________________
-Proud Member of the Turtle Whacks!
Uki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:05 PM   #14
marcelangelo
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticplayhouse View Post
good one. I didn't even think of stan
thanks, but I also forget that richard corben did us some turtles...he was great, too...but I think I would still take those three for my favourites...
marcelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:33 PM   #15
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
In no order, Frank Fosco, Jim Lawson, & probably Rick Remender.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:12 PM   #16
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,480
1) Dan Berger
2) Eastman & Laird
3) Chris Allan
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #17
Samhain
Dare To Be Stupid!
 
Samhain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Posts: 4,752
Ross Campbell

Andres Ponce

Dan Berger
Samhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:06 PM   #18
Oculus Orbus
Mad Scientist
 
Oculus Orbus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Spain
Posts: 1,535
In no particular order:

-Jim Lawson
-Richard Corben
-A. C. Farley
Oculus Orbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:32 AM   #19
Slap-Happy
Bad Boy
 
Slap-Happy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,911
Great question. I can't really think of just three, but I really dig these artists:

-Richard Corben
-Erik Larsen
-A.C. Farley
-Paul Harmon
-Ross Campbell
-Rick Vietch
and even though we've only seen one peice by him, Tyler Wapole.

Fosco and Dooney are probably somewhere in there too.
Slap-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:57 AM   #20
Mayhem
Foot Elite
 
Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London, England
Posts: 4,068
I've always liked Dooney's work. Maybe that's why I surprised him by asking him to draw Shredder and Splinter as commissions instead at SDCC, he probably gets asked to draw a lot of turtles. First one must have worked, he put it on display before I collected it that show and got similar requests off it as a result

After that, hard to say. It took time for me to accept Lawson's versions because they were somewhat different, somewhat less precise in my mind. But I got used to the style, and I'll certainly not fault that he can draw an action scene. Him doing everything by himself was different to be part of an overall team such as the "Return to NY" storyline, which is probably the first time I recall reading him in the credits.
__________________
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.