The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 07:14 PM   #21
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post

To be fair, I may prefer the OT a little more due to nostalgia, BUT last time I watched the series in a marathon, I could sit through more FW episodes than 4Kids episodes.
Part of that is the OT is fun, mindless entertainment. The 4kids series has way too much continuity and multi-part arcs that it feels more exhausting and you have to take a break.

I really like the 4kids series, but even I admit I can watch no more than 3 episodes in one sitting without having to take a break.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #22
Drose18
The Catalina Wine Mixer
 
Drose18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Part of that is the OT is fun, mindless entertainment. The 4kids series has way too much continuity and multi-part arcs that it feels more exhausting and you have to take a break.

I really like the 4kids series, but even I admit I can watch no more than 3 episodes in one sitting without having to take a break.
I fall asleep watching fw it's so old fashioned and has bad animation.
Drose18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:03 PM   #23
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshadamd View Post
I fall asleep watching fw it's so old fashioned and has bad animation.
For its time the animation still holds up. The old toon wasn't meant to be a serious show, it was just meant to be a fun adventure series with a little action here and there.

I think the fact that so many adults from around 18-30 still enjoy watching it says a lot, and its not because of nostalgia from when they were kids.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:27 PM   #24
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshadamd View Post
I fall asleep watching fw it's so old fashioned and has bad animation.
No, you're just too young to realize quality goes beyond the surface.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #25
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
No, you're just too young to realize quality goes beyond the surface.
Indeed. It's the witty writing and voice acting that makes the Fred Wolf series a classic.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:12 AM   #26
azrael
Mad Scientist
 
azrael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: loganville, ga
Posts: 1,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshadamd View Post
I fall asleep watching fw it's so old fashioned and has bad animation.
I didnt use to but now I do the same. I can stand it in small doses or when my son watches them I like seeing the discovery on his face.

If its just me and them I cant. Some of the later keep me on but not many. I am trying to rewatch all of them but unfortunately its like the Batman serials I simply take a nap.
__________________
Creator of The Death Poppets
azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:31 AM   #27
Jephael
That whack job behind you
 
Jephael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
It's the witty writing and voice acting that makes the Fred Wolf series a classic.
I wish people would take note of that more often instead of just dismissing it as a kiddie show!
__________________
"I like it. Simple, but effective!"
Raphael; The Mean Machines - 1988

Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #28
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I think the fact that so many adults from around 18-30 still enjoy watching it says a lot, and its not because of nostalgia from when they were kids.
Maybe, maybe not... but good luck trying to "convert" someone of that age that's never seen it before.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #29
Jephael
That whack job behind you
 
Jephael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,143
I don't feel it's really a matter of age, so much as it's a matter of taste. Some people like stories that are all serious with "life and death" struggles, while others just like to have a good time and laugh their butts off!
__________________
"I like it. Simple, but effective!"
Raphael; The Mean Machines - 1988


Last edited by Jephael; 03-26-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:14 PM   #30
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
I don't feel it's really a matter of age, so much as it's a matter of taste. Some people like stories that are all serious with "life and death" struggles, while others just like to have a good time and laugh their butts off!
But there is no humor in the Fred Wolf series that would cause your average 30 year old to "laugh their butts off." It's designed to be funny for 5 year olds. You or I might get a chuckle because we remember, "ZOMG, this was the bomb diggity when I was like 6, I remember this scene! LOLZ!"... someone that's never seen the show, it's something else entirely.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 03-26-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:25 PM   #31
Jephael
That whack job behind you
 
Jephael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,143
Okay, lets atleast be a little fair and say the show was designed for kids around 10-12. The show did have some obscure adult themes set around it, especially in season 2. Just take a good look at that bimbo Burne Thompson dated. Don't tell me that character was designed for an audience of toddlers!
__________________
"I like it. Simple, but effective!"
Raphael; The Mean Machines - 1988

Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:00 PM   #32
Lisardo
Stone Warrior
 
Lisardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Seattle, Washington
Posts: 702
Was gonna say....the kids I knew in school back in the day, who were turtle fans were way older than 6! 6 years olds watch Barney, not TMNT.
__________________
"Look I'm not gonna stop doing what's right just because it's not appreciated." -Leo

Lisardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #33
Killer Moth
Hench Mutant
 
Killer Moth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 384
As for the 87 humor, humor itself is largely subjective and it depends on context. Some jokes in the series are easier to like than others, and others are more grating. That's life.

One big difference with the audience, these days, we love to engage in snark bait. Go to YouTube or any comment section. We see something older and cheesy, and we usually either laugh with it or at it. I don't know if it is a by-product of being more sophisicated or jaded or both or a fourth thing. Treated this way, it's why 87 Raph works rather well with modern audiences, as those jokes you missed as a kid, you now go, "ahhh." At least, that's how I personally regard him, but again, subjective standard, etc.

In terms of plots, agreed as that was the weaker aspect, yet the humor and the occasional nuance kept it from being completely disposable. A youth-based show that lasted 10 years when most of its fare last at most, 3, and despite all the complaints, had to do something right.

Last edited by Killer Moth; 03-26-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Killer Moth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #34
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 11,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Indeed. It's the witty writing and voice acting that makes the Fred Wolf series a classic.
Here,here! Jester for court jester of the year! That is what I came to apprecaite about it as I got older. It was about 8 VAs doing all of the voices. The animation was choppy but is forgiven but at times it had great visuals especially at night. I honestly believe it had the best chaacter set of any incarnation as well. Even when some plot points were recycled it was completely different such as the villain controlling heat in "Shredder's Mom", "Too Hot To Hot To Handle" and "Power of Three". This is why it does not take nostalgia to see this as the best version! Others are great but this is the best TO ME.
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.