The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #21
chrisdude
Foot Elite
 
chrisdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Why give him such a similar name and have him command the Foot though if they intended to use Shredder?

Saving the main villain for a sequel that's at least 3 years away from this one doesn't sound like a smart idea. By that point the Nick cartoon could be in its waning phase.
I'm not assuming they plan to ever use "Shredder."

I just mean, they may use Shredder as a base, and make big changes. If they don't name the character Shredder, I'm not going to have Shredder expectations of him or his story. Because he's literally not Shredder.
__________________
PSN/Miiverse: MikeFarber
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:53 PM   #22
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,793
Which makes no sense as to why they're going to blatantly change the Turtles most important and iconic villain into an entirely different character.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:56 PM   #23
chrisdude
Foot Elite
 
chrisdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Which makes no sense as to why they're going to blatantly change the Turtles most important and iconic villain into an entirely different character.
Because if they created an entirely new villain, everyone would still be pissed? At least if this guy's name kinda sounds like Shredder, and has blades, it's like a nod to Shredder.
__________________
PSN/Miiverse: MikeFarber
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #24
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdude View Post
Because if they created an entirely new villain, everyone would still be pissed? At least if this guy's name kinda sounds like Shredder, and has blades, it's like a nod to Shredder.
In which case begs the question, why not just use Shredder? I just don't understand their reasoning.

And if we eventually see Krang, Bebop and Rocksteady....it makes even less sense why Shredder is changed to a white caucasion general.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #25
NinjaPug
Foot Elite
 
NinjaPug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
They called Vernon a lead too.
I went back and looked at the original Hollywood Reporter story and they just said his role was a secret. Nothing about it being a lead role.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:11 PM   #26
chrisdude
Foot Elite
 
chrisdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
In which case begs the question, why not just use Shredder? I just don't understand their reasoning.

And if we eventually see Krang, Bebop and Rocksteady....it makes even less sense why Shredder is changed to a white caucasion general.
The only explanation that occurs to me is if they want to drop the whole ninja aspect the Foot. If that's the plan, it's better that they don't name the guy Shredder, isn't it? And people totally would be upset if it looked like the Shredder was left out. So, split the difference. Give Shredder a nod.

But I don't know. I'm only guessing Schrader because we know Schrader was part of the old plan, the Foot look kind of militaristic, and this guy's supposed to be playing "a lead of iconic stature." That make Schrader my best guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
I went back and looked at the original Hollywood Reporter story and they just said his role was a secret. Nothing about it being a lead role.
First line of the article, dude.

"Will Arnett has joined Megan Fox as one of the leads in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles"

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...gan-fox-432515
__________________
PSN/Miiverse: MikeFarber
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #27
Galactus
Foot Elite
 
Galactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdude View Post
Because if they created an entirely new villain, everyone would still be pissed? At least if this guy's name kinda sounds like Shredder, and has blades, it's like a nod to Shredder.
Schrader is an entirely new villain. Military colonel, secretly a yellow skinned alien that grows spikes. There's no TMNT character that is remotely similar too. The fact that he's supposed to be a nod to Shredder rubs salt in the wound...why not, oh I dunno....use Shredder?

What was the biggest complaints from casual fans about the last two movies? Answer; no Shredder. Now potentialy we've got no Shredder and the fact that Schraders existence means that we likely wont getting the real Shredder down the line.

I don't personaly believe Shredder is intrinsic to making a good TMNT movie but a lot of people do think that partly due to there being no "good" TMNT movies without him. I do think that Shredder is a vital part of the TMNT story so the possibility that he wont exist at all in this movie series is rather shocking.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #28
Welmanshire
Hench Mutant
 
Welmanshire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
And we have our Colonel Schrader. I just hope they've changed his name or at least make it clear enough that he's not a substitute for Shredder so we can then get a proper version of him in a sequel.
Actually, exactly the opposite. How on earth is Schradar an "iconic stature in the Turtles’ mythology""?This pretty much confirms that he WON'T be playing Schradar. Get yourself together and think people.
Welmanshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:30 PM   #29
chrisdude
Foot Elite
 
chrisdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
Schrader is an entirely new villain. Military colonel, secretly a yellow skinned alien that grows spikes. There's no TMNT character that is remotely similar too. The fact that he's supposed to be a nod to Shredder rubs salt in the wound...why not, oh I dunno....use Shredder?

What was the biggest complaints from casual fans about the last two movies? Answer; no Shredder. Now potentialy we've got no Shredder and the fact that Schraders existence means that we likely wont getting the real Shredder down the line.

I don't personaly believe Shredder is intrinsic to making a good TMNT movie but a lot of people do think that partly due to there being no "good" TMNT movies without him. I do think that Shredder is a vital part of the TMNT story so the possibility that he wont exist at all in this movie series is rather shocking.
I didn't say you'd like it... I'm just trying to piece together how this guy could be playing an iconic character.

We know we have the Foot. We know they look kind of militaristic. And we know this guy's supposed to play an iconic character from TMNT lore. Maybe it's Schrader. Maybe it's Shredder. Maybe it's the neighborly barkeeper, Casey Jones. My guess is Schrader. Somehow I ended up defending my guess, as if I wrote the movie.
__________________
PSN/Miiverse: MikeFarber
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #30
Galactus
Foot Elite
 
Galactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welmanshire View Post
Actually, exactly the opposite. How on earth is Schradar an "iconic stature in the Turtles’ mythology""?This pretty much confirms that he WON'T be playing Schradar. Get yourself together and think people.
Because in the minds of people making this movie Schrader is (or was) Shredder. Simply a new version of the character.

The fact that Schrader is so radicaly different that fans would never accept it as the same character doesn't alter the fact that to their minds when originaly writing the script it was Shredder.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #31
Welmanshire
Hench Mutant
 
Welmanshire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
Because in the minds of people making this movie Schrader is (or was) Shredder. Simply a new version of the character.

The fact that Schrader is so radicaly different that fans would never accept it as the same character doesn't alter the fact that to their minds when originaly writing the script it was Shredder.
I don't think they would be using terminology like "iconic stature in the Turtles’ mythology" if the character was to be renamed and changed. It really points to a character that is already existent, like Baxter or with the military side of things going on, I am thinking it could be a character similar to John Bishop.
Welmanshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #32
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,295
Also, wasn't Will Arnett's character supposed to be a big deal and then then turned out to be Vernon? The word "iconic" must be taken with an entire Morton's factory, my friends.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #33
chrisdude
Foot Elite
 
chrisdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,708
Honestly, I think it's a stretch to call any TMNT villain 'iconic,' other than Shredder, Stockman or Krang.

But I think we'd be giving these guys a little too much credit to think they'd dig up Bishop. And so many people wouldn't know who he was. Like me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Also, wasn't Will Arnett's character supposed to be a big deal and then then turned out to be Vernon? The word "iconic" must be taken with an entire Morton's factory, my friends.
They just said 'lead.' And that may very well be the case.
__________________
PSN/Miiverse: MikeFarber
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #34
Galactus
Foot Elite
 
Galactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welmanshire View Post
I don't think they would be using terminology like "iconic stature in the Turtles’ mythology" if the character was to be renamed and changed. It really points to a character that is already existent, like Baxter or with the military side of things going on, I am thinking it could be a character similar to John Bishop.
My point to them Schrader is/was Shredder and that is definitely an iconic character.

As much as I really like Bishop and he became a fan favourite he's not really iconic. As Chrisdude said no villain other than Shredder could really be considered iconic.

The only other character I can think of that would be described (at a push) as iconic and that might fit the actor is a white Baxter Stockman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Also, wasn't Will Arnett's character supposed to be a big deal and then then turned out to be Vernon? The word "iconic" must be taken with an entire Morton's factory, my friends.
I'm pretty sure Vernon will be a lead character in this movie. I'd go as far to say it looks like he's Casey's replacement.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #35
Shark_Blade
Emperor
 
Shark_Blade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 7,909
Schrader doesn't even make sense. Why can't they just use the name Shredder?
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #36
Galactus
Foot Elite
 
Galactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Schrader doesn't even make sense. Why can't they just use the name Shredder?
They very well might do.

They could make it his codename or have the turtles nickname him "Shredder" but that still wouldn't really make the character Shredder.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #37
ctt4lfecw
Stone Warrior
 
ctt4lfecw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Neutrino
Posts: 817
*Fingers crossed for Rat King.* I really like this dude, ever since Dark Knight. And I love Entourage. Or maybe this is our Casey?
ctt4lfecw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #38
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist
 
Panda_Kahn_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,715
*SIGH*

Aaaaand here we go with the wild speculation again. We went through this with Vernon's actor, and here we go again.

SHREDDER WILL PROBABLY BE IN THIS MOVIE AS SHREDDER!

My money's on Brune for this guy.
__________________
My TMNT fanfic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1266176...n-a-Half-Shell

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #39
Raven
follower of Jesus
 
Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 6,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Also, wasn't Will Arnett's character supposed to be a big deal and then then turned out to be Vernon? The word "iconic" must be taken with an entire Morton's factory, my friends.
Exactly, until we see photos or the trailer theres no need to get all frazzeled over something we have no concrete facts for.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #40
Slade
god status
 
Slade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
*SIGH*

Aaaaand here we go with the wild speculation again. We went through this with Vernon's actor, and here we go again.

SHREDDER WILL PROBABLY BE IN THIS MOVIE AS SHREDDER!

My money's on Brune for this guy.
I'm with you!


Otherwise, I need to stay away from movie talk on here, the Schrader b.s. is depressing.
__________________
Do not concern yourself with what I've already done: rather tremble at the thought of what I am about to do.
Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=48140
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
live action films, movie casting


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.