The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2015, 12:27 PM   #21
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,926
In our now Infamous "Shell Shocked" interview of him he mentioned that he looks at the Mikey stuff to make sure that it's not...too stupid.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:33 PM   #22
Ninturtle
Mad Scientist
 
Ninturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
In our now Infamous "Shell Shocked" interview of him he mentioned that he looks at the Mikey stuff to make sure that it's not...too stupid.
Can I have a link to this interview.
Ninturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:35 PM   #23
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,926
Sure!
But be warned:
Controversy follows this episode pretty closely.

https://tmntshellshocked.wordpress.c...eli-interview/
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:38 PM   #24
Papenbrook
I'm leaving. Goodbye. :)
 
Papenbrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: No comment -_- ...
Posts: 2,754
Since I only experienced the portrayal of Nick Mikey, I can't comment much. However, I do find Nick Mikey annoying and just plain crude. He almost always has to do something stupid within each episode, without contributing to the plot. It gets old rather quickly. I wish it would just stop, because I know he can be so much more than that. He is not just a "comic relief" archetype.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:44 PM   #25
Yabuturtle
Stone Warrior
 
Yabuturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Kraken View Post
Since I only experienced the portrayal of Nick Mikey, I can't comment much. However, I do find Nick Mikey annoying and just plain crude. He almost always has to do something stupid within each episode, without contributing to the plot. It gets old rather quickly. I wish it would just stop, because I know he can be so much more than that. He is not just a "comic relief" archetype.
He does provide comic relief in almost every incarnation, but I agree that he does more than just that. The reason I think the OT Mikey is the best because he was just a party dude, easy going and liked to socialize and was obsessed with pizza even more so than his brothers. Not to mention he was optimistic and often cheered up his brothers when they were down. The other versions of Mikey are alright, but I feel like sometimes they go out of their way to be annoying and idiotic.
Yabuturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:55 PM   #26
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 8,773
For me, OT was ONE of the "best" incarnations, but the one I originally fell in love with as my favorite was the original movie Mikey. He wasn't dumb or obnoxious at all, he was easygoing , fun-loving, and funny without feeling forced or having to resort to crude, dumb humor. I WISH Nick's version could be more like that.
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:16 PM   #27
aliena
Hench Mutant
 
aliena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 294
I felt at first that he was too loud and way too infantile to be taken seriously. Now it's way worse. I've seen Mikey in 4kids and I don't know what's worse. I think 4kids Mikey is at least strong and a good fighter. Nick Mikey makes far too many mistakes all for the sake of comical humor. They really need to tone that down a lot. We did get Savage Mikey a few times though.

Marvel is right though, they did a good job with 90 movie Mikey. As far as I'm concerned, IDW Mikey is my favorite. He isn't stupid and he fights hard. He takes things seriously when appropriate, but he does lean toward the sensitive side more than other incarnations.
aliena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:29 PM   #28
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliena View Post
As far as I'm concerned, IDW Mikey is my favorite. He isn't stupid and he fights hard. He takes things seriously when appropriate, but he does lean toward the sensitive side more than other incarnations.
IDW got that from Mirage/Image, though.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:52 AM   #29
Ulisa
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Various Fantasy Realms
Posts: 145
OT and Movie Mikey are my favorites because they are funny, laid back but still competent fighters and capable of thinking up plans and getting out of trouble on their own. They both also show a degree of sensitivity and compassion for others that makes them relatable.

2k3 I rank a bit lower but I can still enjoy him. He has some good relationships laid out between him and his brothers and the way he interacts with children and animals is beautiful. I was also quite fond of his interactions with Zog.

While I don't want to call Nick Mikey stupid, I do find him to be a very one-dimensional version. He seems like all he is revolves around crude humor and I just don't find that to be an engaging character. There is much more to Mike than that and the fact that the Nick writers don't recognize this is quite sad. In the hands of good writers, Mike could be an excellent character but it doesn't look like Nick has that at the moment. I hope that can change.
Ulisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:17 PM   #30
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 8,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulisa View Post
OT and Movie Mikey are my favorites because they are funny, laid back but still competent fighters and capable of thinking up plans and getting out of trouble on their own. They both also show a degree of sensitivity and compassion for others that makes them relatable.

2k3 I rank a bit lower but I can still enjoy him. He has some good relationships laid out between him and his brothers and the way he interacts with children and animals is beautiful. I was also quite fond of his interactions with Zog.

While I don't want to call Nick Mikey stupid, I do find him to be a very one-dimensional version. He seems like all he is revolves around crude humor and I just don't find that to be an engaging character. There is much more to Mike than that and the fact that the Nick writers don't recognize this is quite sad. In the hands of good writers, Mike could be an excellent character but it doesn't look like Nick has that at the moment. I hope that can change.

I agree with this 110%
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:18 PM   #31
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,926
Competent Comic Relief is hard to come by, and mores the pity.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:23 PM   #32
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,290
Since he's due to have a thing for her (if we must...), slightly hoping that once Renet shows up he'll finally hit puberty and lose a little of the childishness.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:03 PM   #33
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 8,773
*sigh* Don't hold your breath, Indigo. I doubt that will happen. If anything, it may make him WORSE. (Praying to whatever higher-up exist that that doesn't happen.)
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:44 PM   #34
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,681
I think we need to bring back smart-ass comedy back. Someone who's funny because they're funny, not because they're dumb and 'whoa ho ho, they're dumb and there's the joke'. Ironically in the OT RAPH was the funny one... but because of his snappy comebacks and wisecracks, not because he was dumb.If they insist on making Mikey comedy relief and nothing else... they should try the sarcastic route.
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:22 PM   #35
billbot85
Mad Scientist
 
billbot85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,007
Yeah, Nick Mikey is undeniably the dumbest one in the franchise. Although there have been plenty of episodes where he's made me laugh, I can see how a lot of his stupid antics can get old and annoying with the fans really quick. I agree that a lot of the comic relief he provides feels forced to the point that it's not even funny anymore.
__________________
MY COMPLETE WISH LIST:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...03#post1120403

GIFSoup
billbot85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:26 PM   #36
Jephael
That whack job behind you
 
Jephael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,143
Here's my take on the genesis of Michelangelo:

Original Mirage/Image - Witty, laid back, creative, sensitive
Fred Wolf Cartoon - party animal, little bit distracted
Archie Comics (post issue #4) - see Mirage
New Line Movies - mix of Mirage and Fred Wolf
Next Mutation - airhead
4Kids Cartoon - @$$hole
Warner Bros. CGI Film - stoner
Nickelodeon Cartoon - mentally impaired
Michael Bay Film - pervert
__________________
"I like it. Simple, but effective!"
Raphael; The Mean Machines - 1988

Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:31 PM   #37
Warhorse
Emperor
 
Warhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Since he's due to have a thing for her (if we must...), slightly hoping that once Renet shows up he'll finally hit puberty and lose a little of the childishness.
Not sure. Back in them days, there were two types of boys. The mature ones, that were either shy, and afraid to talk to you, or the ones with confidence and would try to impress you with their skills (be it throwing the perfect touchdown or solving the complicated math quiz) Then, there were the immature brats. The ones that liked you, but didn't really know how to go about telling you, so instead, would do stupid stuff to you like pranks or even be mean to you. Mikey just might be the kind of guy to go the latter route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
Here's my take on the genesis of Michelangelo:

Original Mirage/Image - Witty, laid back, creative, sensitive
Fred Wolf Cartoon - party animal, little bit distracted
Archie Comics (post issue #4) - see Mirage
New Line Movies - mix of Mirage and Fred Wolf
Next Mutation - airhead
4Kids Cartoon - @$$hole
Warner Bros. CGI Film - stoner
Nickelodeon Cartoon - mentally impaired
Michael Bay Film - pervert
Yep, pretty good assessment here.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:31 PM   #38
billbot85
Mad Scientist
 
billbot85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
Here's my take on the genesis of Michelangelo:

Original Mirage/Image - Witty, laid back, creative, sensitive
Fred Wolf Cartoon - party animal, little bit distracted
Archie Comics (post issue #4) - see Mirage
New Line Movies - mix of Mirage and Fred Wolf
Next Mutation - airhead
4Kids Cartoon - @$$hole
Warner Bros. CGI Film - stoner
Nickelodeon Cartoon - mentally impaired
Michael Bay Film - pervert
yeah, that seems the pretty much sum it up I'd say.

Bye the way, Jephael, I keep meaning to tell you how much I love your signature. Where does that artwork come from?
__________________
MY COMPLETE WISH LIST:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...03#post1120403

GIFSoup
billbot85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:40 PM   #39
Jephael
That whack job behind you
 
Jephael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbot85 View Post
Bye the way, Jephael, I keep meaning to tell you how much I love your signature. Where does that artwork come from?
It's a banner I made a while back for my site. The artwork is from issue #45 of Archie's TMNT Adventures. I photo-shopped my teenage self in place of Ninjara, which now that I think of it is pretty ironic since I ship Raphael and Mona Lisa!
__________________
"I like it. Simple, but effective!"
Raphael; The Mean Machines - 1988

Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:16 PM   #40
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 8,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
Here's my take on the genesis of Michelangelo:

Original Mirage/Image - Witty, laid back, creative, sensitive
Fred Wolf Cartoon - party animal, little bit distracted
Archie Comics (post issue #4) - see Mirage
New Line Movies - mix of Mirage and Fred Wolf
Next Mutation - airhead
4Kids Cartoon - @$$hole
Warner Bros. CGI Film - stoner
Nickelodeon Cartoon - mentally impaired
Michael Bay Film - pervert

I agree with all of this except the 4Kids part (where he's slightly insensitive, and a dork at times, but not an outright @$$hole) and perhaps the 2007 movie (where he's more like mildly ADHA and perhaps a touch autistic).
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.