The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2007, 11:08 AM   #41
Revan
Han Shot First
 
Revan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Paper Street Soap Company
Posts: 3,687
Better ease of the religion train guys.
__________________
Revan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 11:15 AM   #42
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooish View Post
Wow. I can't really justify Splinter's actions there ... raising the Turtles to risk their lives for the sake of vengeance. Creepy.
Nevertheless, this is the source material, the original universe from which all cartoons, movies and such are just spinoff universes.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 11:17 AM   #43
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn Guy View Post
Well, at the time it was meant to be a parody of martial arts flicks among other things (I assume). I would hardly say Mirage Splinter was entierly motivated by revenge. He got Mike a bunch of art stuff when they were kids, let them explore an underground world when they were only twelve, and helped out that guy who was being possessed by his ancestor or something. Pretty considerate and honourable acts for someone trying to raise his own assassins. He only let them face the Shredder when he felt they were ready and they actually got the guy on the ropes, so...there you go.
And it also comes up later in "City at War." I think it was Donatello that said during that, that "I could kill for Splinter... but I don't know if I'm willing to die for him" or something to that effect, as they start to kind of question their place in the world after they fulfilled their mission of killing Saki.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 11:29 AM   #44
odupianist
Mad Scientist
 
odupianist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,744
I thought Leo said that. I dk though cause I don't have the books.

It doesn't matter what your religion beliefs are. This is what the TMNT were raised to believe.
odupianist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:36 PM   #45
Cascadia
Oregonian in heart & soul
 
Cascadia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 3,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by odupianist View Post
I thought Leo said that. I dk though cause I don't have the books.

It doesn't matter what your religion beliefs are. This is what the TMNT were raised to believe.
I know that Donnie did not say that in City at War because I checked my City at War books.
__________________

Formally known as Scientific freak
Cascadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:59 PM   #46
Punix
Random Punk
 
Punix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: HOLLAND
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
And it also comes up later in "City at War." I think it was Donatello that said during that, that "I could kill for Splinter... but I don't know if I'm willing to die for him" or something to that effect, as they start to kind of question their place in the world after they fulfilled their mission of killing Saki.
It was Leo and he said something more like this

"I will die for splinter ,but not live for him"
Punix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:09 PM   #47
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punix View Post
It was Leo and he said something more like this

"I will die for splinter ,but not live for him"
Maybe that's what it was.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:11 PM   #48
Scandia
Mad Scientist
 
Scandia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,265
Haven't watched/read that. But it shows some individuality on Leo's part. Maybe Raph will lay off the "Splinter Jr." for a while after hearing Leo say that.
Scandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:23 PM   #49
Spawn Guy
Mad Scientist
 
Spawn Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Earth 616
Posts: 1,481
Fat chance.
__________________


THE TECHNODROME'S LITTLE YELLOW BOX LOVER

madpiratebunny (19:26:51): oh goodness, I've got an idea
SpawnGuyThing (19:26:57): Do tell
madpiratebunny (19:27:02): nononono
madpiratebunny (19:27:05): no telling
SpawnGuyThing (19:27:10): ...
SpawnGuyThing (19:27:27): But I'm the imaginery friend you always wanted
SpawnGuyThing (19:27:36): Your supposed to tell me everything
Spawn Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:24 PM   #50
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandia View Post
Haven't watched/read that. But it shows some individuality on Leo's part. Maybe Raph will lay off the "Splinter Jr." for a while after hearing Leo say that.
Considering Splinter died some time ago in the comics, that shouldn't be surprising, as calling Leo such posthumously would be kind of disrespectful.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 03:54 PM   #51
Sewer Bull
Devil's Advocate
 
Sewer Bull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
You know, I've never thought about that cover like that before. But there's definitely truth in what you say.

I don't think I'd rank that as the best cover personally, but it's definitely a good one.
Yep, maybe there are better ones (actually, I've never done any private rank), but this one's definitely one of my top favourites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooish View Post
... but yeah, Neutrino, Sewer Bull ... that does put a really dark spin on TMNT, or Splinter at least, that is kind of overlooked, even in later Mirage comics.
Well... it seems that it was pretty natural for Japanese warriors to seek revenge for everything. Especially for the previous revenges done on your family. Just look.

As #1 puts it: first off, Oroku Nagi tries to kill Yoshi's love, Shen. The one who chose Yoshi over him.

So Yoshi has to kill kim to protect his future spouse. And they have to flee to America.

So Oroku Saki, Nagi's lil' bro, has to track them down and kill both Yoshi and Shen.

So naturally, Splinter is obliged to murder Saki, with the hands of his innocent apprentices.

And then we have Karai...

The spiral of slaughter between two families continues... just like in a Shakespearian play!
__________________

Soooo... THIS is how you spend your free time now?!
Sewer Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:08 PM   #52
Spawn Guy
Mad Scientist
 
Spawn Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Earth 616
Posts: 1,481
But with better acting and stun chorography.
__________________


THE TECHNODROME'S LITTLE YELLOW BOX LOVER

madpiratebunny (19:26:51): oh goodness, I've got an idea
SpawnGuyThing (19:26:57): Do tell
madpiratebunny (19:27:02): nononono
madpiratebunny (19:27:05): no telling
SpawnGuyThing (19:27:10): ...
SpawnGuyThing (19:27:27): But I'm the imaginery friend you always wanted
SpawnGuyThing (19:27:36): Your supposed to tell me everything
Spawn Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:33 PM   #53
gobo
Wacky Action
 
gobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: on Earth
Posts: 12,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandia View Post
Sorry, but according to my religious beliefs, that is NOT the way to go. The right thing to do is to turn your life around and atone for your past crimes- none of which are totally unforgivable. Which anyone and everyone can do. Suicide would be giving up and just stating that there is no hope for you- which is NOT true.
I fully agree with you. I was just trying to help you understand the idealogy behind it.
__________________
Live and let live... or go to hell.

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:46 PM   #54
Swany
Stone Warrior
 
Swany's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Near Glasgow. Scotland
Posts: 924
Something that started bugging me last night was how the first symptons of Donnies second mutation were similar to flu.

Or did he really have the flu and his weakened immune system meant the second mutation could occur?
__________________
Swany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:23 PM   #55
Revan
Han Shot First
 
Revan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Paper Street Soap Company
Posts: 3,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swany View Post
Something that started bugging me last night was how the first symptons of Donnies second mutation were similar to flu.

Or did he really have the flu and his weakened immune system meant the second mutation could occur?
They were probably just trying to show that Don was getting sick and weak. Cold/Flu symptoms are the basic universal signs of a sickness.

Hey, we don't know exactly what the symptoms of his mutation would be. For all we know, Don's symptoms were 100% spot on.

But I agree, it was silly.
__________________
Revan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:15 AM   #56
Mr._Mutant_Man
Mad Scientist
 
Mr._Mutant_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrino View Post
A better question for those religious fans... do they have souls?
If souls exist, then the turtles would most definitely have them, considering they exhibit the same feelings and fears and so on that humans would. Even if they didn't start out human, most animals seem to exhibit a certain amount of emotion in their own way depending on the animal, so I'd say yes.

I second the feeling about going to sunday school and having someone tell you animals don't go to heaven is like a punch to the gut. If we're worthy, at the very least those adorable chimpanzees and orangutans are too. Plus dogs and cats would be awesome too.

Last edited by Mr._Mutant_Man; 05-20-2007 at 10:42 AM.
Mr._Mutant_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:14 PM   #57
bullet
Stone Warrior
 
bullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrino View Post
A better question for those religious fans... do they have souls?
according to doctrine, i'm pretty sure all sentient beings have souls. if they didn't have it to begin with, they gained it through mutation...?
__________________
...and that's how they defeated the thing that wouldn't leave.

bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:36 PM   #58
Swany
Stone Warrior
 
Swany's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Near Glasgow. Scotland
Posts: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrino View Post
A better question for those religious fans... do they have souls?
I'd say all living creatures (yes even trees, although they are immortal) have a soul or something resembling a soul.

I dont see why humans should be the only ones.
__________________
Swany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 02:38 PM   #59
Cascadia
Oregonian in heart & soul
 
Cascadia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 3,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrino View Post
They were probably just trying to show that Don was getting sick and weak. Cold/Flu symptoms are the basic universal signs of a sickness.

Hey, we don't know exactly what the symptoms of his mutation would be. For all we know, Don's symptoms were 100% spot on.

But I agree, it was silly.
The symptoms were illustrating that his immune system was going down hill due to the "bug bite".
__________________

Formally known as Scientific freak
Cascadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:10 PM   #60
Fledermaus
Mad Scientist
 
Fledermaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewer Bull View Post
That reminded me of my favourite TMNT comic cover. Issue #1, fifth print:



Best. TMNT. Cover. Ever. Ever.

I really like the concept of Splinter being driven with the blind lust for vengeance. And the turtles being his avenging puppets.
Whoa... sorry to dig up this post, but this cover... is... perfect.
__________________
We're calling it a freeway. Eight lanes of shimmering cement running from here to Pasadena. Smooth, safe, fast. Traffic jams will be a thing of the past. I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night! Soon there will be a string of gas stations, inexpensive motels, restaurants that serve rapidly prepared food! Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see! My God... It'll be beautiful.
Fledermaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.