The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #641
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo Mystic View Post
Are you asking me out on a date? *laughs*

No hard feelings?


Of course no hard feelings.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:54 PM   #642
Machias Banshee
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 17,163
I have a feeling someone's gonna break out some jets vs sharks finger-snapping scenes with turtle figures or something...
Machias Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:56 PM   #643
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machias Banshee View Post
I have a feeling someone's gonna break out some jets vs sharks finger-snapping scenes with turtle figures or something...
Now that could get racist...

"Every Puerto Rican's a buggin' chicken!"
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:56 PM   #644
Ninjinister
無問題
 
Ninjinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moesko Island, WA
Posts: 14,348
Do I smell D'romance?

lol

Anyway... yeah... I'm not exactly jumping up and down over the 3D models, but I'm waiting to see something more concrete before I make a decision. It's still too early in the game.

And who knows... plot/writing/acting might actually be strong enough in my eyes (well... eye... only one is functioning at the moment, although it'll likely be back to normal by 2012... sorry... tangent) to overshadow the models.
__________________
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:02 PM   #645
JoeGro
Foot Soldier
 
JoeGro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icegaze View Post
I couldn't agree more with this.


I like ol' Beebop and Rocksteady, but in their glory time within the first 5 episodes when they were kinda badass gun totin' hulking bullies, I never was a fan of when they made them total idiots that were terrified of the Turtles and had to put on wacky disguises and provide slapstick humor and I always loved their action figures of course, a couple of my favs actually. But I don't really see the point in bringin' back unless they're just brutal and relentless (almost scary) versions. It would be awesome to see a vicious Rat King. I miss the seriousness of some of the fight sequences of the classic Mirage Comics and some of the battle sequences in the first movie, especially the fight with Shredder it is intense so having villains that are a force to be reckoned with to the point where you're like "Are the Turtles gonna make it?" (even though you totally know they're going to) is one of the most important aspects to me. There were some great examples of this within the '03 series. So regardless of if Bebop and Rocksteady or the Rat King or Leatherhead or Mike Meyers are fighting the Turtles, it's gotta be gritty, mean, and it's gotta make you feel exhausted when they're exhausted from the heat of battle, I don't know if that makes sense, and this totally turned into a long rant about fight sequences somehow.....but there ya go.
JoeGro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:58 PM   #646
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician
 
Redeemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: third earth
Posts: 4,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeGro View Post
Or maybe we should...... We don't like "Shell Heads" on "Wretched Reptile" turf ya dig?! Oh no! Theres gonna be a switchblade fight out behind the Dairy Queen ya'll!
No jst on World of Warcraft
__________________
GT:Reedeamer
THE TECHNODROME REDESIGN 2015
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=51594
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:05 PM   #647
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician
 
Redeemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: third earth
Posts: 4,737
I have to say I hope they bring back Rocksteady and Beebop, but revamped. I want them to be more like what they were in the first six episodes in the OT. They irritate the crap out of me at time in later seasons.

I want the to be BA,
-I dont want them to be complete idiots
-I want them to be a threat
-I want them to know how to actaully fight and not defeat themseles
-I don't mind them lacking intellegence
-I just thought they were a great dynamic duo, and plus I think they could bring comedic relief while still being a threat.
__________________
GT:Reedeamer
THE TECHNODROME REDESIGN 2015
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=51594
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:07 PM   #648
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
-I just thought they were a great dynamic duo, and plus I think they could bring comedic relief while still being a threat.
^This.
I could get behind this.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:20 PM   #649
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,803
Bebop and Rocksteady should return as more competent but still stupid villains.

I don't see how they were bad at all. In the old toon they were constantly humourous, its just that they were overused in all the Shredder/Krang episodes.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:42 PM   #650
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,112
Gee, this topic took a nosedive and exploded into a million pieces...

Instead of replying to anything directly, I'll just add this:

During the breakout session, the guy leading our group kept beating words out of us to describe what we each wanted out of this series. And what it came down to most for me was simply that I wanted it to be fun. And reflecting on the 25 minutes I spent watching the animatic, I had a lot of fun. Yes, there were parts that I wasn't too sure about and made me go, "hmmm," but I genuinely laughed and enjoyed it for what it was.

And I said something about this before, but the hints we got (possibly accidentally - not sure how much they meant to say or not say) about one particular story element are awesome. Like, amazingly awesome in a way that would never have been possible if Peter still owned the Turtles. Never ever ever ever ever! And it's that kind of potential and freshness that is appealing to me. I don't want the series to be like the Mirage comics, or the '87 toon, or the 2K3 toon. Been there, done that. I want something fresh, I want something new. And, for the most part, this is that.

I don't personally need this series to be good. If it is, I will be thrilled and gleefully enjoy it. But if it's not, it's no loss to me. I was pretty much done with Peter and Gary's BS, so if Nick hadn't bought the TMNT, I very possibly would have walked away from the whole deal. This kind of restart is exactly what I think the TMNT need, so despite hesitations on a few issues, I'm giving Nickelodeon the benefit of the doubt until at least the first episode airs.

But I am so buying the action figures no matter what.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:43 PM   #651
JoeGro
Foot Soldier
 
JoeGro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 119
Mommmmmyyyyyyyy!
JoeGro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:46 PM   #652
Ninjinister
無問題
 
Ninjinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moesko Island, WA
Posts: 14,348
With all of this information about the cartoon, toys, comics, et cetera rolling in, I'm starting to wonder how long it will be before we hear something about video games. I'm actually a bit worried about that....
__________________
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:00 AM   #653
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ninjinister View Post
With all of this information about the cartoon, toys, comics, et cetera rolling in, I'm starting to wonder how long it will be before we hear something about video games. I'm actually a bit worried about that....
I just kind hope Konami can get the contract back. Never was a huge fan of the Ubisoft offerings.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:02 AM   #654
Kendamu
Sewerhead
 
Kendamu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
Gee, this topic took a nosedive and exploded into a million pieces...
Actually, we recovered from it pretty nicely.
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:04 AM   #655
JoeGro
Foot Soldier
 
JoeGro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
Gee, this topic took a nosedive and exploded into a million pieces...

Instead of replying to anything directly, I'll just add this:

During the breakout session, the guy leading our group kept beating words out of us to describe what we each wanted out of this series. And what it came down to most for me was simply that I wanted it to be fun. And reflecting on the 25 minutes I spent watching the animatic, I had a lot of fun. Yes, there were parts that I wasn't too sure about and made me go, "hmmm," but I genuinely laughed and enjoyed it for what it was.

And I said something about this before, but the hints we got (possibly accidentally - not sure how much they meant to say or not say) about one particular story element are awesome. Like, amazingly awesome in a way that would never have been possible if Peter still owned the Turtles. Never ever ever ever ever! And it's that kind of potential and freshness that is appealing to me. I don't want the series to be like the Mirage comics, or the '87 toon, or the 2K3 toon. Been there, done that. I want something fresh, I want something new. And, for the most part, this is that.

I don't personally need this series to be good. If it is, I will be thrilled and gleefully enjoy it. But if it's not, it's no loss to me. I was pretty much done with Peter and Gary's BS, so if Nick hadn't bought the TMNT, I very possibly would have walked away from the whole deal. This kind of restart is exactly what I think the TMNT need, so despite hesitations on a few issues, I'm giving Nickelodeon the benefit of the doubt until at least the first episode airs.

But I am so buying the action figures no matter what.
I agree with you to an extent on some of the BS that came later down the line but Peter was still on board when the '03 series was out, which really had some of the most accurate depictions of the original concept of what the Turtles were created to be. Sure they threw in Hun and Foot Tech Ninjas and so forth which I felt was kind of lame, then going into Fast Forward and beyond it got a little ridiculous. I agree with wanting something fresh and new, but not something that is a complete departure from what they became established as between 1984-1991. They became a cash cow within that time....why? Because they were awesome and spread into a few different forms within that time, regardless of it was the Mirage Comic version, to the Archie Comic Version to the OT cartoon version, to the first two movies they still kept a vibe about them that was worthy of adoration amongst many in a large age bracket, the toyline was amazing, the merch was amazing and so on. I can't imagine how happy I would be to see my 3 year old nephew, (who already loves the OT cartoons and the movies) to experience something similar to the magic that changed my life. Maybe that's wishful thinking. I can see where the new animated series would be entertaining to a child that has never heard of TMNT and hasn't even seen the 2003 series or the 2007 movie, let alone anything else. If people are okay with having goofy Ninja Turtles then so be it, the OT series was a little goofy with puns on occasion and as it went along got even worse with that. But what I saw was nothing but goofy. If you threw in some suggestive themes and coarse language.... it would make a great show on Comedy Central or Adult Swim, a style of show that I would normally enjoy, but not with my boys in green being the theme of it all, but that's just my taste. I like my TMNT lean mean and green.....and on the screen?
JoeGro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:08 AM   #656
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,112
Yeah, just gonna have to continue to respectfully disagree with Joe.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:11 AM   #657
sdp
Detoxed Member
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tokio, Italy
Posts: 11,185
I'm assuming the show really is a lot like Teen Titans, wild over the top comedy but its actually genuinely funny and tons of action to go along with it. So this is why Joe would not like it, TT had a very love it or hate it attitude towards it and it would also explain why the others liked what they saw since they wanted something new and this is something new, with TT you either got it or you didn't and some people just couldn't look past the character designs/anime expressions and over the topness that made me become a huge fan of the show and like I mentioned the show still knew how to be serious and have amazing action scenes. Someone from TT is working on the show so thats my guess based on what I've read. Personally I can't see the turtles like TT was but then again I loved TT so I'm probably good.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:12 AM   #658
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeGro View Post
If people are okay with having goofy Ninja Turtles then so be it, the OT series was a little goofy with puns on occasion and as it went along got even worse with that.
Worse? The word is better.

In all seriousness, in my rewatching of the DVDs of the OT I fell in love again with the humor, especially the 4th wall breaking.

With that said, I don't want the Nick series to be like the '87. Like Rose said, I'm looking forward to "something completly different."

Quick question: Was the original Mirage series "funny" aside from the parody premise? I mean usually the best satire is played very straight.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:23 AM   #659
JoeGro
Foot Soldier
 
JoeGro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Worse? The word is better.

In all seriousness, in my rewatching of the DVDs of the OT I fell in love again with the humor, especially the 4th wall breaking.

With that said, I don't want the Nick series to be like the '87. Like Rose said, I'm looking forward to "something completly different."

Quick question: Was the original Mirage series "funny" aside from the parody premise? I mean usually the best satire is played very straight.
The Mirage series was mostly intense, dealing with real problems to total fiasco scenarios, it had drama and the fight scenes were drawn intensely, occasional jokes were made and sure a few experimental issues were thrown here and there closer to when the animated series came out where the Turtles looked kind of spastic and cartoony but it didn't stay a complete and new formula for the books, the Turtles were drawn by various artists and they had different visual incarnations in said books as the years went by but for the most part they were Ninja, strong willed, emotional, skillful and heroic warriors.
JoeGro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:27 AM   #660
JoeGro
Foot Soldier
 
JoeGro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 119
Like the first time I spoke to Nickelodeon I used a term that isn't even a real word when they asked about what was lacking in TMNT presently, I simply said "Badassness". I feel with what I've seen so far of the new series (though time could change all of that) it was completely void of anything that would define that term. I realize we're not going to get blood drenched action like what is depicted in my icon to the left, I'm not naive, but ya know....
JoeGro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2k12, nick


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.