The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2006, 09:10 PM   #921
Peanut
Second Gear
 
Peanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The New World
Posts: 15,422
Nothing. I meant that we get nothing but sh*t over here, while Europe and Japan get all the good stuff.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 09:40 PM   #922
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai
 
Ecto Jedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicDonny View Post
Well for christmas I got

Psp with prince of persia Revelations
Dead to rights reckoning

then yesterday and today I got 2 more psp games

Mega man maverick hunter x
Gradius collection

Mega man maverick hunter x is an excellent remake of mega man x.. You can play as vile as well and also watch a great OVA called the day of sigma that tells the story before the events of mega man x.. ALso contains a demo of mega man powered up.

Gradius collecton contains 5 different gradius games all from the arcade.. Gradius 1-4 and Gradius Gaiden a game which has never been seen in north america. They also have a music player which contains tracks from all the gradius games as well as a movie gallery which shows the fmvs movies of the gradius games released on other platforms like the ps2 or ps1.
Congrats, man. Have you read up on Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City and Vice City Stories? Awe-inspiring games for a handheld, my friend.

Oh, and try not to pay attention to those clowns who got your PSP thread locked up. The PlayStation Portable is a wonderful system, and 2006 was a great year for it. I'm sure it'll bring you much enjoyment.
Ecto Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 10:21 PM   #923
Peanut
Second Gear
 
Peanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The New World
Posts: 15,422
Yeah! All those terrific games like...Gitaroo Man Lives!...and...you know...stuff.

To be fair, the DS didn't have the greatest year this year either.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 10:55 PM   #924
Jed
Stone Warrior
 
Jed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 956
Didn't Canada get Super Mario World already? We don't have that yet, I'm considering getting it but I still have the original cart for the SNES so I mightn't bother.

You're right, the DS hasn't had the greatest year this year, I don't think I've bought anything for it since May or June... taking into account that Yoshi's Island 2 isn't out over here yet,

EDIT: Just realised Yoshi's Island is out over here, I must have missed it on the shelves.
__________________
I am Frank-Zappa-as-imagined-by-the-editor-of-a-famous-rock-&-roll-magazine. I am an anachronism who makes the ugliest music on the planet. I have no right to call myself a member of the human race. I am tasteless, untalented, pompous, arrogant, cruel, insensitive, vulgar and not a fun guy because I don't use drugs.

Jed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 01:40 AM   #925
Barkworm
Draconian leftist ruler
 
Barkworm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
To be fair, the DS didn't have the greatest year this year either.
Finally someone who sees this! Unfortunately next year doesn't seem all that promising either...
Oh, and I also got DKC and Mario 64. I think they're prettty much the only good VC games out there so far (apart from Gunstar Heroes and Ristar maybe)
__________________
Make ****, not kill!
Barkworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 03:34 AM   #926
Krang
Admin and Sega Guru
 
Krang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Dimension X
Posts: 3,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecto Jedi View Post
Oh, and try not to pay attention to those clowns who got your PSP thread locked up.
Let's not get into that again. Please don't drag up arguments from locked threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkworm View Post
Oh, and I also got DKC and Mario 64. I think they're prettty much the only good VC games out there so far (apart from Gunstar Heroes and Ristar maybe)
There, fixed.
__________________

"My motherboard's microchips are chomping at the... 'bit'. A little computer humor." --Krang, Welcome Back, Polarisoids
Krang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 04:24 AM   #927
Jed
Stone Warrior
 
Jed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 956
If you've got Sonic Mega Collection Ristar's already on it. My friend forgot about that and wasted €8 on it for the VC.
__________________
I am Frank-Zappa-as-imagined-by-the-editor-of-a-famous-rock-&-roll-magazine. I am an anachronism who makes the ugliest music on the planet. I have no right to call myself a member of the human race. I am tasteless, untalented, pompous, arrogant, cruel, insensitive, vulgar and not a fun guy because I don't use drugs.

Jed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 10:08 AM   #928
Peanut
Second Gear
 
Peanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The New World
Posts: 15,422
We don't have any Mario games here aside from Super Mario Bros., and that only hit on Christmas Day. I just got TJ&E, and I'm totally pissed, because I now realize that I liked the platforming TJ&E2 as a kid, not the free-roaming crap from the first one. God damn it.

I'm going to get SMB and Bonk, then go out to get another Wii card. Let's hope some good stuff gets released soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkworm
Finally someone who sees this! Unfortunately next year doesn't seem all that promising either...
I didn't really notice it myself until a couple months ago. I realized I've play sh*t all on the thing for the longest time. Despite the fact that my DS library has grown into the 20's, I can't really recall any great experiences on the thing. Elite Beat Agents changed that, but for the most part the things I was looking forward to blew (Yoshi's Island 2).

We do get Phantom Hourglass next year though. That's got to be worth something.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 12:38 PM   #929
LogicDonny
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecto Jedi View Post
Congrats, man. Have you read up on Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City and Vice City Stories? Awe-inspiring games for a handheld, my friend.

Oh, and try not to pay attention to those clowns who got your PSP thread locked up. The PlayStation Portable is a wonderful system, and 2006 was a great year for it. I'm sure it'll bring you much enjoyment.
thaks for the compilent.. Ya so um I was thinking of getting those gta games since I have gta double pack for the xbox.. I also have my eyes on lumines 1+2, sega genesis collection, mega man powered up, valkyrie profile, legend of heros 1+2. then there are the big hits.
LogicDonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 12:57 PM   #930
Barkworm
Draconian leftist ruler
 
Barkworm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
Despite the fact that my DS library has grown into the 20's, I can't really recall any great experiences on the thing. Elite Beat Agents changed that, but for the most part the things I was looking forward to blew (Yoshi's Island 2).
So it does suck? I'm glad I didn't waste my money on it. Gotta keep my nostalgic memories clean of crap.
__________________
Make ****, not kill!
Barkworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 01:07 PM   #931
Peanut
Second Gear
 
Peanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The New World
Posts: 15,422
The core gameplay is still there, but the change in art style is for the worse, the sound effects are horrible (they changed the effects for everything you could possibly imagine), and the music is disgusting.

It's still a decent enough game, but I played about 3 levels and a castle and I was totally done. They sucked the charm right out of it.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 01:08 PM   #932
Dr. Doom
Allons-y!
 
Dr. Doom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Castle Doom
Posts: 4,535
I've heard different. I don't have anything to back that claim up, but there are apparently some people who enjoyed it, too.
__________________
Dr. Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 01:13 PM   #933
Peanut
Second Gear
 
Peanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The New World
Posts: 15,422
It doesn't matter what you heard. Go play it. Yoshi's Island is probably my favourite SNES game of all time, and it's pretty close to my favourite game period. Yoshi's Island 2 is a bastardization of one of the greatest platformers ever created.

Maybe it has a lot to do with the fact that I played the original more than any other SNES game, because I hold it in such high regard, or just because I'm a bastard about my platformers, but I believe it comes nowhere close to Yoshi's Island, and I'm actually ashamed that it's called Yoshi's Island 2. They should have called it "Yoshi's Baby Story" or some lame sh*t like that.

The game really did bring down the Yoshi's Island "brand", for lack of a better word, in my mind.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 01:21 PM   #934
Barkworm
Draconian leftist ruler
 
Barkworm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,701
I think Peanut feels about Yoshi's Island the exact same way I do so his opinion on the DS one is enough for me to stay away from it.
__________________
Make ****, not kill!
Barkworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 01:28 PM   #935
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!
 
ThirdMarioBro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 8,905
Having beaten it, I can say it has it's moments, but it is nowhere even being in the same league as the original by a long shot. I almost want to say it's like comparing Donkey Kong Jungle Beat to DKC2, but that's maybe a tad too far.

Nonetheless, it cannot stand up to the basic perfection of the original, and let's face it. Yoshi's Island was/is perfect.
__________________
ThirdMarioBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 01:39 PM   #936
Barkworm
Draconian leftist ruler
 
Barkworm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,701
Jungle Beat = awesome.
__________________
Make ****, not kill!
Barkworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 02:12 PM   #937
LogicDonny
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkworm View Post
Jungle Beat = awesome.
Yes I will also say that as well. It is an awesome game but short yet sweet

The medals were fun to get..
LogicDonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 02:16 PM   #938
Mecha Cow
Gorgeous and modest too
 
Mecha Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 3,699
Yoshi's Island DS feels like a poorly made fangame, I think that's the best way to describe it. The gameplay is there, but everything else isn't. The sound is bad, the graphics are pathetic, and there's no charm whatsoever. I didn't even play Yoshi's Island until the GBA port, so it's not like this has years worth of memories to live up to either(Though for the record, I do love the original). It's just that I have no tolerance for mediocre, uninspired and unnecessary games, and that's pretty much what Yoshi's Island DS is.
__________________
Mecha Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 09:43 PM   #939
Shredder
Admin/Layton Apprentice
 
Shredder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Isla Nublar
Posts: 481
Wow, some pretty harsh words about Yoshi's Island DS... As I think I've posted before, I loved the original Yoshi's Island and greatly enjoy the DS sequel. Since I've posted last about this, I finished entire DS game, and while I agree that the sound/graphics aren't exactly like the first, I have to argue that the game is worthy of being a true sequel.

Personally, I really liked the different characters and thought they added some variety to the gameplay while still keeping it "feeling" like Yoshi's Island. I would suggest you at least play through the whole game before giving up on it. There's a lot of interesting stuff that comes later in the game, like the additions of Baby Wario and Bowser, plus a few sequences reminiscent of the first game, like skiing downhill and riding along in a mine cart. I will say that the last boss is a bit of a letdown, although they did take an interesting approach. Since the control and gameplay (which I think matter most) feel so much like the first one, I actually find it hard to believe that fans of the original don't like this game. I noticed that even you guys here that didn't like it admitted that the gameplay was there. I think it's one of the best games on the DS and hope they make more like it.

And yes, I have been very let down with sequels to great games before, so it's not that I'll love any game with a familiar name on it. This one just happens to really rock is all (IMO).
__________________

"Well, actually, I always wanted to be a writer. Being a ruthless conqueror was my second choice." --Shredder, Take Me to Your Leader
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 11:15 PM   #940
Duke
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,913
It's funny everyone is talking about Yoshi's Island 2 because I picked up the game for the first time since like the week I bought it today and played for about an hour. The game just lacks something. It can't hold my attention like the original, which I absolutely love. Actually the SNES game is one of the first games I can remember truely getting 100% completion in. I loved every level and everything about the game, however, I do not have that feeling in this one. And as much as I've tried to get it (including finishing the 2 two worlds with 100% in each stage and the bonus stage), it just isn't there. Not a horrible game, just not a worthy sequel to one of the greatest games ever made.
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
awesome, cybercubed the diaper, cybercubed the homophobe, peanut, video games


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.