The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2005, 10:48 AM   #81
Turtle Dove
Stone Warrior
 
Turtle Dove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: In Don's workshop
Posts: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raph's Girl
Next Week's ep is a rerun of "Cousin Sid" except for in the certain areas where it's pre-empted for Football.
Girl you got too much rime on your hands. and let therecord show,Football is annoying cause it takes all the timeslots
__________________

]~You'll always be #1 in my heart~

1..2...3...4..Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.....
Turtle Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 06:12 PM   #82
DIrishB
Thug
 
DIrishB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jensen Beach, FL
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raph's Girl
Next Week's ep is a rerun of "Cousin Sid" except for in the certain areas where it's pre-empted for Football.

Good thing I already saw "Cousin Sid" cuz I dun wanna get up at 4:30am Sunday Morning to see it. Gah!
Huh...so it rerun season already, is it? Thats fine though, as I haven't seen that episode yet (I missed the first 6 episodes of Season 4 and have been catching up via DL them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShowstoppa
heh... I slept in too. Again, luckily, DVR is there to save my tail! I'm gald they're going to rerun a couple of eps because that helps me out. I don't have Cousin Sid or The People's Choice on DVR yet.

I think it's time for Leo to move on. It's a good thing too. I hated having a cool Raph and a psycho Leo. I just wonder how long it is going to be until we finally see him go against Karai... since we know she's finally lost it. Dammit too! I was hoping to see some of Vol 4 worked into the storyline of Season 4. However, I wonder how long it will be until the Utroms come back?
I'm sure we'll see a big Turtles vs. Karai and the Foot in a multi-part season finale. I'm wondering when we'll see the Utroms again as well though.
DIrishB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 09:10 PM   #83
J Legault
Mad Scientist
 
J Legault's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: West Coast
Posts: 2,054
Makes me wonder how Hamoto Yoshi reacted when he first met the Ancient One. And how he would have to get use to the Ancient One's habit of "Air".
__________________
I am a fan of TMNT and I'm still one today.
I got into the habbit back in 1992 or 93' when I was little. I would like to thank my 2 year older cousin for getting me in the habbit. 2001 was when I revised my knowledge on TMNT. And today I'm a bigger fan than I was years ago. I have all 3 TMNT Movies, current Toon, and old school Toon on DVD.
J Legault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 09:55 PM   #84
zkarlette
Fashionably late
 
zkarlette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: CA
Posts: 4,146
The Ep was kind of surreal first Leo screams and wounds master splinter and then Splinter tells him to leave to Japan basically he got the boot.

Then even tho he made good points the hole farting situation made it hard to take it serious plus Leo being called a baby poppy face several times

Lets see what happens after this one.....
__________________
"If only we'd stop trying to be happy, we could have a pretty good time" E.W
zkarlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 04:51 AM   #85
onyx
Foot Soldier
 
onyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 232
Hi everyone, I'm new here, though I have read the forums for some time.

I saw that everyone shared their impressions of the episode, so I decided to point out a few things that no one seems to notice.

First, I'll say that I didn't like this episode. It didn't fit the general plot well and for the most part, the scenes looked like they're made only to take time.

Now, to the beginning of the episode, when Leo cut Splinter... We've seen Splinter dodge impossible situations before, block powerful blows, catch arrows in the air and so on. We've also seen him disarm Leo with almost no effort using his walking stick (if I recall correctly that was in the episode when the Turtles were arguing which weapon is better, I think in season 1). Of course, Leo is growing up and getting better, but how much better can he be? Also, let's not forget that Splinter is an ex-Battle Nexus Champion. And now he gets disarmed twice and very easily by his student, and doesn't even try to dodge Leo's blow when he cut him? In the previous episode, when Usagi was sparring with Leo, the bunny seemed to dodge/block Leo's attacks pretty easily, I doubt Usagi is better than Splinter...

Also, I really think this should have been the moment when Raph finally jumps on Leo. I've been waiting to see a real fight between them for a long time. Instead, Raph just calls him hothead. That's not Raph. He goes all mad when Leo damaged his punchbag, but he does nothing when Leo cuts his sensei?

Since when Japan is on another planet? How come we never saw people there, except for the farting Ancient One? I understand that Leo was trying to avoid big cities, but still, Japan is pretty crowded, we should have seen at least some people. Instead we got Yeties and Ghosts...

Speaking of Yeties, what exactly were they doing there? They seemed totally unrelated to the plot to me, like placeholders or something. And, the lesson they taught Leo was lame. "He who attacks in anger falls"... Ok, Leo defeated his sensei in the beginning and he was fighting with anger. Leo defeated that "Bebop" assassin in the previous episode (one of the most skilled assassins in his world) and he was fighting with anger. He was fighting with anger in other occasions too (Hun, Elite Guard etc.) and he always won. Suddenly, Leo is useless against those two only because he's angry? It seems to me that Leo must be even stronger in his anger if he managed to defeat Splinter...

The other things were nice, I liked the symbolism in the demons and the rock monster, I loved the scenery and the acting, but the sparring, Japan and the Yeties ruined it for me.
onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 08:32 AM   #86
Spitfire
Writer • Director
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx
Now, to the beginning of the episode, when Leo cut Splinter...
Is it not possible Splinter let Leo cut him? It's obvious to me he wanted Leo to see the Acient One and that was the reason he needed. He was trying to show Leo what his anger can do.

Quote:
That's not Raph. He goes all mad when Leo damaged his punchbag, but he does nothing when Leo cuts his sensei?
Raph probly understands what Splinter is doing and it's obvious he's happy to see Leo go. Plus if he did anything his brothers and Splinter would stop him rather quickly.

Quote:
Since when Japan is on another planet? How come we never saw people there, except for the farting Ancient One? Instead we got Yeties and Ghosts...
I wasn't aware that humans walked through desolate moutain ranges filled with demons and monsters freely.

Quote:
Speaking of Yeties, what exactly were they doing there?
They were there to show Leo that he's not all that. They were there to teach him defeat. That whole problem with Leo was he couldn't accept defeat.
__________________
Check out my online portfolio
http://www.christopherpelletier.com/
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 09:40 AM   #87
IceFlash78
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire666xXxXx
Is it not possible Splinter let Leo cut him? It's obvious to me he wanted Leo to see the Acient One and that was the reason he needed. He was trying to show Leo what his anger can do..
When a hero falls to the dark side, it often takes the death of a loved one, or at least the potential of descrustion for the hero to realize how far he has fallen. Splinter probably knew that, and let Leo hurt him so that Leo would be aghst and realize just how descrustive his behavior has become, and seek out help. Its pretty typical plot point... so of course I can't think of any examples....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire666xXxXx
Raph probly understands what Splinter is doing and it's obvious he's happy to see Leo go. Plus if he did anything his brothers and Splinter would stop him rather quickly..
True... I would imagine that Raph is itching for a chance to act as a leader for a short while.
IceFlash78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:01 AM   #88
onyx
Foot Soldier
 
onyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire666xXxXx
Is it not possible Splinter let Leo cut him? It's obvious to me he wanted Leo to see the Acient One and that was the reason he needed. He was trying to show Leo what his anger can do.
How could Splinter know what Leo would do? What if Leo wounded him heavily or even killed him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire666xXxXx
Plus if he did anything his brothers and Splinter would stop him rather quickly.
That was never enough to make Raph not act

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire666xXxXx
I wasn't aware that humans walked through desolate moutain ranges filled with demons and monsters freely.
Of course, Japan is full of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire666xXxXx
They were there to show Leo that he's not all that. They were there to teach him defeat. That whole problem with Leo was he couldn't accept defeat.
To me, Demons were there to teach Leo defeat. Yeties were there to teach him not to fight when he's angry, they even said it.
onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:22 AM   #89
LUCKFF
Hench Mutant
 
LUCKFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NEW YORK CITY
Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx
To me, Demons were there to teach Leo defeat. Yeties were there to teach him not to fight when he's angry, they even said it.
NOT NECESSARILY TEACH HIM DEFEAT. HE AND HIS BROTHERS HAVE BEEN DEFEATED BEFORE. BUT MORE HOW TO DEAL WITH IT.LEO NEVER BATTLED THE YETI'S NOR THE GHOSTS NOR THE ROCK WARRIOR. HE ONLY BATTLED HIM SELF.


Quote:
Originally Posted by LUCKFF
The Symbolism Was Nifty In This One. The Demons Obviously Represented Leo's Own Demons. The Fact That The Only Way To Defeat The Demons Was To Fail. And Failing Is One Of The Demons Leo's Has Been Battling. I Think Leo Learned A Very Valuable Lesson Right There. Leo Himself Describes The Symbolism With The Rock Monster: "I Hardened My Heart Like A Rock, Wrapped Up Inside My Own Shell."-leo. This Is Why Leo Was Inside Of The Rock Monster. I Love Stuff Like That.
__________________

LUCKFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:29 AM   #90
onyx
Foot Soldier
 
onyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 232
Quote:
LEO NEVER BATTLED THE YETI'S NOR THE GHOSTS NOR THE ROCK WARRIOR. HE ONLY BATTLED HIM SELF.
I agree with that, but I fail to see what were the Yeties symbolizing. While it was pretty obvious with the Demons and the Rock Monster, I don't really understand the Yeties. I can see the moral taken from the battle with them (altough I do not agree with it as I already said), but why Yeties?
onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 12:58 PM   #91
iris
moddy mod mod
 
iris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: finally escaped the lab
Posts: 1,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx
I agree with that, but I fail to see what were the Yeties symbolizing. While it was pretty obvious with the Demons and the Rock Monster, I don't really understand the Yeties. I can see the moral taken from the battle with them (altough I do not agree with it as I already said), but why Yeties?
To me, the Yeti sentries symbolized Leo's foolish pride. I am not saying that Leo has a huge ego, but that he had built his pride into a wall that stood between him and acceptance of his mortal limitations. That wall needed to come down, and the Yetis took the first step in smashing it. There was very little hope that Leo could have defeated them, but he took them on anyway and for no reason; they did not attack and he han't yet even finished the conversation with them. And he probably felt foolish afterward.

I think that the Yetis served the secondary purpose of reminding Leo that just because he is no longer a "baby" doesn't mean he has outgrown the basic lessons of his training. Forgetting the simple lessons, such as the value of simply keeping your frustrations in check, renders Leo's "grown up" (more advanced) training and wisdom useless.

Leo knew the don't-let-anger-lead-your-actions lesson... it had been part of his overall attitude when he was "naive", but he chose at this point to ignore it. Perhaps Leo had decided that he was successful enough without it... and he could sometimes, when he face obstacles that he could blindly beat down in a fit of rage. But if Leo felt that he had outgrown Splinter's teachings and no longer needed to abide by them, the Yetis gave him a chiding reminder.

Speaking of Splinter... there's no doubt that he could have prevented Leo from striking him. However, I choose to go with a tiny leap of faith, and accept that Splinter's mastery let him the control the degree of the opening Leo got. IMO, it was probably a test to see how far Leo would go. Leo failed with flying colors.

Hmm... Raphael's reaction? I didn't see this part, but here's my two cents anyway. In Raph's place, I would have been greatly disturbed by my brother's actions. I think Raph (and the rest of them) were too stunned and worried for their normally self-possessed brother to react any other way. Anger would have been secondary. Plus Splinter-sama was right there, and I'm sure they were waiting for his reaction. They know as well as we do that Splinter can take care of himself.
__________________
Appeal to nobler motives. Like pie.
[ life is at best bitter sweet ]

Last edited by iris; 12-14-2005 at 01:22 PM.
iris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 09:24 PM   #92
Aska_Badoura
Hench Mutant
 
Aska_Badoura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 485
You know, it finally occurred to me what made the landscape of the Ancient One's domain so different!

I always thought the backgrounds in this show were unusual... they're drawings, with the colors very simplified, and everything is outlined in ink, to the point where the background almost looks like a cel in itself. Traditionally, in other shows, backgrounds are painted, so they'll have more complicated shade and shadow than the figures that occupy the space. But I finally noticed that, for the most part, the backgrounds in the fantasy landscape are painted! There are some that are still pretty simple in palette, but even they have a much more subtle color blending going on. All the ones in the "real world" have the usual harsh style. Here's an example: first, a couple of random shots from other eps:

And then one in the Ancient One's home. Notice the bag hanging behind Leo, compared to the one in the Turtles' lair, then notice the planks in the ceiling compared to the pic from the Daimyo's palace. Lots more detail, subtle colors... dreamlike, compared to the usual stuff in the show. Even the Battle Nexus didn't look like that. I dunno why they decided to make this place so different, but I like it. Any thoughts?


Quote:
Speaking of Splinter... there's no doubt that he could have prevented Leo from striking him. However, I choose to go with a tiny leap of faith, and accept that Splinter's mastery let him the control the degree of the opening Leo got. IMO, it was probably a test to see how far Leo would go. Leo failed with flying colors.
Hrm... yeah, you're probably right. I thought at first it might have been an accident anyway, but you guys are starting to convince me that Splinter probably planned it.
__________________

The Venus Project

LONG in need of an update, but still out there, if you want a look.
'Geek' pic by Allie
Aska_Badoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 09:43 PM   #93
Fledermaus
Mad Scientist
 
Fledermaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aska_Badoura
You know, it finally occurred to me what made the landscape of the Ancient One's domain so different!

I always thought the backgrounds in this show were unusual... they're drawings, with the colors very simplified, and everything is outlined in ink, to the point where the background almost looks like a cel in itself. Traditionally, in other shows, backgrounds are painted, so they'll have more complicated shade and shadow than the figures that occupy the space. But I finally noticed that, for the most part, the backgrounds in the fantasy landscape are painted! There are some that are still pretty simple in palette, but even they have a much more subtle color blending going on. All the ones in the "real world" have the usual harsh style. Here's an example: first, a couple of random shots from other eps:

And then one in the Ancient One's home. Notice the bag hanging behind Leo, compared to the one in the Turtles' lair, then notice the planks in the ceiling compared to the pic from the Daimyo's palace. Lots more detail, subtle colors... dreamlike, compared to the usual stuff in the show. Even the Battle Nexus didn't look like that. I dunno why they decided to make this place so different, but I like it. Any thoughts?


Hrm... yeah, you're probably right. I thought at first it might have been an accident anyway, but you guys are starting to convince me that Splinter probably planned it.
Now, imagine if they painted the NYC scapes and sewer... Ahhh...

I too am beginning to think Splinter did this all on purpose--he had to know how far Leo would go with his uncontrolled anger.
__________________
We're calling it a freeway. Eight lanes of shimmering cement running from here to Pasadena. Smooth, safe, fast. Traffic jams will be a thing of the past. I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night! Soon there will be a string of gas stations, inexpensive motels, restaurants that serve rapidly prepared food! Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see! My God... It'll be beautiful.
Fledermaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 10:01 PM   #94
Duke
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,913
Very interesting pick up Aska. Your detail for animation is far greater than mine.
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 10:55 PM   #95
iris
moddy mod mod
 
iris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: finally escaped the lab
Posts: 1,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aska_Badoura
I thought at first it might have been an accident anyway, but you guys are starting to convince me that Splinter probably planned it.
Well, to be fair, I doubt that he planned it more than a moment in advance. I mean, it would be kind of weird to actually premeditate having your kid slice your head open. Not that "weird" is anything new for this family.

I do also find the idea that it was an accident... that Splinter, in his anxiety, had dropped his guard at the same time that Leo surprised them both... to be just as satisfactory.

I immediately noticed the gorgeous watercolor backgrounds in the, um... "realm" of the Ancient One. Very few hard lines... lovingly done highlighting (it was glowy there) and washed colors. I'm really a sucker for that style, but the story was absorbing enough that I forgot about it... which is how it should be.

But I like the regular backgrounds as well because of the way the animation blends in. Breaks the illusion for me if the animation clashes. The regular backgrounds are also beautiful to me.
__________________
Appeal to nobler motives. Like pie.
[ life is at best bitter sweet ]
iris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:40 PM   #96
Spitfire
Writer • Director
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,035
Looks like the backround in the Ancient One's lair is 3-D to me O_O
__________________
Check out my online portfolio
http://www.christopherpelletier.com/
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 12:57 AM   #97
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter
 
Raph's Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Jakku
Posts: 10,831
I agree...the landscape is quite beautiful. However I DID notice something. In the following image if you look real closely you can almost see Littlefoot or maybe even Ducky. Seriously thanks now I know where the great valley is...and here I thought it was Zion National Park in Utah when all along it was Japan just right after the snow monkeys er I mean Yeti's.



Would have been funny to see a cameo at least by a certain spike tail who's voiced by Rob Paulsen.
__________________
Raph's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 01:54 AM   #98
Poweranimals
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Reefside, CA
Posts: 216
The comedy was really tasteless this week. It's kind of a shame, because I usually praise the show for its comedy. Anyway, it was good character development at least. It was cool to see Leo get through his inner struggle.
__________________
Poweranimals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 09:29 AM   #99
Fledermaus
Mad Scientist
 
Fledermaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poweranimals
The comedy was really tasteless this week. It's kind of a shame, because I usually praise the show for its comedy. Anyway, it was good character development at least. It was cool to see Leo get through his inner struggle.
Did you read the past posts? IT WASN'T COMEDY!! IT WAS A SIGNIFICANT PLOT POINT!

Okay, remember when Leo asks Ancient One, "What makes you think you're so worthy?" The Ancient One responds, "This" and lets loose a big one.

That symbolizes that he's not afraid to let go of inner burdens even if it hurts his ego. Dignity and intimidation isn't the first thing on his mind, unlike Leo.

That, if anything, is the joke/pun in the situation, not the individual disgusting liquid farts. These symbolize how put off Leo is by the notion of surrendering, of letting go of these burdens he chooses to carry. It's disgusting and childish, to him--as he first sees the Ancient One.

Ehhhnghh... I don't think I want to have to defend this decision to make Ancient One... that way. It bothers me that so many of you don't see the rather obvious reason for this. Just go back and read the other posts.


Haha. About the landscapes--didn't you guys think that when Leo and Ancient One were at the campfire, the surrounding landscape looked a lot like Monument Valley? (used in a bunch of westerns) Deserts, in mythology, are often places of spiritual confrontation and epic battles. Eg. Jesus in the desert, Israelites wandering in the desert, Western heroes coming out of and disappearing into the desert, Star Wars... And there are many more examplesn I can't think of.
__________________
We're calling it a freeway. Eight lanes of shimmering cement running from here to Pasadena. Smooth, safe, fast. Traffic jams will be a thing of the past. I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night! Soon there will be a string of gas stations, inexpensive motels, restaurants that serve rapidly prepared food! Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see! My God... It'll be beautiful.
Fledermaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 09:49 AM   #100
Anarky
Outlaw Hero
 
Anarky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Tannhauser Gate
Posts: 4,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledermaus
IT WASN'T COMEDY!! IT WAS A SIGNIFICANT PLOT POINT!
It could also be that you all were overanalyzing once again. I mean, you all do such an awful lot of interpretation. Mikey could walk backwards for two steps and I'm sure one of you would go "That expresses his character in terms of his own shyness due to some childhood accident involving two teletubbies and a half-molten ice cream cone."

Quote:
Ehhhnghh... I don't think I want to have to defend this decision to make Ancient One... that way. It bothers me that so many of you don't see the rather obvious reason for this. Just go back and read the other posts.
Well, maybe we don't see the TMNT as a highly philosophical program but as a cartoon.

As for my comments to the episode. If that was "Leo's cure" then I'm highly disappointed. I mean, a cruise and "I'm my own worst enemy" doesn't solve anything. That's no cure, that's the first step towards it.
Anarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.