The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2010, 06:33 PM   #81
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,787
So what am I to do with the 30 issues of Volume 4 I own?

Re-read them up to the last issue...and then say...that's it, there's no ending to this story or any of these plots?

It really feels like a slap in the face to me. Its as if this were a TV series that was canceled in the middle of a major cliffhanger or something.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:35 PM   #82
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It really feels like a slap in the face to me. Its as if this were a TV series that was canceled in the middle of a major cliffhanger or something.
Spectacular Spider-man?

*Throws up all over key board and cries*
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:35 PM   #83
Samhain
Dare To Be Stupid!
 
Samhain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Posts: 4,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
So what am I to do with the 30 issues of Volume 4 I own?

Re-read them up to the last issue...and then say...that's it, there's no ending to this story or any of these plots?

It really feels like a slap in the face to me. Its as if this were a TV series that was canceled in the middle of a major cliffhanger or something.
Yeah it sucks but unfortunatly it isnt up to us. Just another thing to add to the screw-ups of the Tmnt franchise.
Samhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:38 PM   #84
Jephael
That whack job behind you
 
Jephael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,143
While I am disapointed in seeing Volume 4 unfinished, I'm glad that Peter Laird has decided to take a break from the comics. The poor guy has been running himself ragged the last ten years trying to keep the fans happy with the toylines and the television series. Maybe if we let him have the chance of a more normal life for a couple years he'll come back feeling more relaxed and be ready to finish what he started.
__________________
"I like it. Simple, but effective!"
Raphael; The Mean Machines - 1988

Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:53 PM   #85
Brodie
Certified Teacher
 
Brodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Bizarro Metropolis
Posts: 6,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Spectacular Spider-man?

*Throws up all over key board and cries*
Wolverine & the X-Men?

Throw up on my keyboard too, dawg.
__________________
Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:59 PM   #86
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Wolverine & the X-Men?

Throw up on my keyboard too, dawg.
Mhmmmmm. I'm more of a Turtles fan than anything Marvel, but those were two awesome shows that got axed for no reason. It's sad to see the TMNT go unfinished, but it is literally down right sickening to see shows like that ended prematurely.

And at least this is the will of the co-creator and writer, not corporate executive fools.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:07 PM   #87
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,787
But if the creator/writer himself can't be bothered to finish the story, why should we care?

It almost feel now as if Vol. 4 is pointless. The problem is impacted continuity too much, such as several Tales (almost half of them or so), were either set in the Vol. 4 era or continued from some sort of plotline started in Vol. 4.

If Tales didn't have so many connections to Vol. 4, then we could ignore it, but now its impossible.

And that being said, I would prefer the Mirage universe dies altogether if Vol. 4 isn't finished. Might as well not even bother with anything else.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:13 PM   #88
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It almost feel now as if Vol. 4 is pointless.
I agree, I'm gonna give it one more read through then sell the sh*t. What's the full run going for on ebay nowadays?
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:45 AM   #89
TristanHuwJones
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
TristanHuwJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
And that being said, I would prefer the Mirage universe dies altogether if Vol. 4 isn't finished. Might as well not even bother with anything else.
So... I should just drop what I'm working on then...?
__________________
Still alive (somehow)...
tristansbones.bsky.social
and instagram @ instagram.com/tristans_bones
TristanHuwJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:18 AM   #90
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,197
Don't listen to him lol
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:07 AM   #91
PAAATE
Stone Warrior
 
PAAATE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristanHuwJones View Post
So... I should just drop what I'm working on then...?
CyberCubed has a tendency to overreact. You just keep working
__________________
I'm a member. I forgot about it, so now I'm a remember.
PAAATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:12 PM   #92
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,787
I'm just tired of TMNT plotlines being started but never finished.

How sick is it that it took 12 years for the Image series to reach its conclusion? Or that its taken 15+ years for Archie's "Forever War" to ever see the light of day?

Now we have to do the same BS with Volume 4? It just disgusts me. I don't follow comics just to get no closure, this isn't Marvel/DC where they reboot the whole thing every 10 years and never end, TMNT comics NEED an ending.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:15 PM   #93
Slap-Happy
Bad Boy
 
Slap-Happy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I feel Vol. 4 is pointless.
Fixed.

I didn't care for Vol. $ from the start. Lawson seemed to get too stylized, the plots involved too much, I don't know, tech based stuff.

It's more sad for me that Tales has ended. The perfect turtle stories (for me), are the ones grounded in reality (as much as a teenage mutant ninja turtle can be).
Slap-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:52 PM   #94
jaymq
Hench Mutant
 
jaymq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I'm just tired of TMNT plotlines being started but never finished.

How sick is it that it took 12 years for the Image series to reach its conclusion? Or that its taken 15+ years for Archie's "Forever War" to ever see the light of day?

Now we have to do the same BS with Volume 4? It just disgusts me. I don't follow comics just to get no closure, this isn't Marvel/DC where they reboot the whole thing every 10 years and never end, TMNT comics NEED an ending.

I understand that Laird wants time away, but this pretty much sums my feelings up as well.
__________________
Nom
jaymq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:18 PM   #95
DrSpengler
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,842
I have a hard time respecting a comic where the characters break out of what they're doing to go on a page-long rant about how tremendously awesome Apple products are and how everyone should own one because they're totally the bestest thing ever.

And I respect the people who would write something like that in a comic even less.


Seriously, you can argue about the quality of stories like "April is a magic doodle" all day and night, but the gratuitous Apple-shilling in that book was just bad.

Remember when Laird and Eastman considered themselves indy comic "rebels" and regularly lambasted "corporate comics" in the editorial sections of Volume 1?

Hard to believe Laird went from that to "drop everything you're doing and buy Apple products RIGHT NOW!"

The man had no artistic integrity of any kind left by the time Volume 4 came around. So Laird owning the Turtles? Viacom owning the Turtles? Makes no different. Laird has as much integrity as an artist as that soulless corporation.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:31 PM   #96
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,111
Gee, I remember the days where I got all sorts of crap for calling out Volume 4 for what it was. Now it's almost trendy.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:32 PM   #97
discordiatookie
facehugger
 
discordiatookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
Posts: 2,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
but the gratuitous Apple-shilling in that book was just bad.
When I read this on Laird's blog:

Quote:
with TMNT I would do all of the dialogue, with no input from Jim. This is not to say that Jim's artwork did not affect my dialogue -- to the contrary, I often found that some interesting and unexpected detail Jim had added to a panel, or the way he laid out a scene, or an expression he gave to a character's face would lead me to think of some line or two or three of dialogue I very likely would NOT have thought of otherwise.
My first thought was "Heh - betcha that wee ad for Apple was cos Lawson had drawn an Apple logo on that laptop..."

In all seriousness though, I really loved vol 4, sure there were a coupla gripes, but for the most part I had a blast. And i'm glad that we'll be getting some sort of ending online - although I would prefer the final comic, at least this is something that I can live with. Laird did say, way back in issue 2 of vol 4, that he would only do the series as long as he's having fun with it. So for him to end it prematurely just aint that surprising for me - as it was half expected anyway.
__________________
Oh Discordia! Charyou Tree! Come, Reap!
Don't tell us to grow up and out of it
I got my cloak and dagger in a bar room brawl

You actually trying to read this tiny text? Damn, you're dedicated! This is all just for effect you know...

original TMNT art collection
discordiatookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:51 PM   #98
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
Gee, I remember the days where I got all sorts of crap for calling out Volume 4 for what it was. Now it's almost trendy.
Now you know how I felt when I was calling out TMNT Part 4 for what it was.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:04 PM   #99
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Now you know how I felt when I was calling out TMNT Part 4 for what it was.
There was a TMNT part 4?

OH! The cartoon they released into theaters.
Right right, carry on then.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:05 PM   #100
DrSpengler
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,842
I don't recall there being THAT much mandatory praise for Volume 4 back when it was still being published. The only person I remember getting tremendously indignant at any criticism of the book was Peter Laird...
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.