The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #1101
TheFallen
Thug
 
TheFallen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uki View Post
Yep, that's me!!!

I haven't been on the Org as much; it seems negativity is reigning supreme over there at the moment. I wholeheartedly agree with people expressing their opinions, but doing it over and over again ad nauseum gets a bit old. I'm a happy kinda guy; that stuff brings me down.

I've been having fun here with all the great news and overall good vibes! (I don't visit the 'Drome as often as I should-obviously! 10 year member with such a sad little post-count.)
As much as I love the .org, I am feeling the same way. I just want to enjoy my toys and enjoy discussing them.

It is good to see some people I know here as I don't feel like too much of an outcast.

<------- Please don't talk about post count

When I put down my monthly release list I basically just took a shot in the dark with the first release being August as it just seemed like the right time to release them but the new information confirmed that date. It does seem like the monthly release is not the way these things will be sold which is almost disappointing because I really like a new figure being released every month, MOTUC has spoilt me in this regard.

The $15 price tag will probably equate to $30 here if they make it to retail. Hasbro's movie figures, which are 4 inch, are being sold for $15-$20 here and the stores are only buying the first wave as they never move at that price.
BBTS will be my chosen store to purchase these unless Playmates pull a Bandai and don't allow them to be sold to international collectors.

It is reassuring that the Sewer Cover Stands are definitely coming with the figures but I just want to either see or read that there will be more than just the four main turtles coming in the TMNTC line. I understand they are just testing the waters but I want more
TheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:50 PM   #1102
Doc_ock_4mugen
Hench Mutant
 
Doc_ock_4mugen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 389
I want more as well, especially as in OT Shredder, OT April, Splinter, Rocksteady, Bebop, Foot Soldiers, Krang... What I really want is for them to expand beyond the 4 Turtles...
__________________
Mikey might be part of Nick now, but he still loves Miley... I mean Hannah... Stupid Secret Identity!!
Doc_ock_4mugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:11 PM   #1103
TheFallen
Thug
 
TheFallen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_ock_4mugen View Post
I want more as well, especially as in OT Shredder, OT April, Splinter, Rocksteady, Bebop, Foot Soldiers, Krang... What I really want is for them to expand beyond the 4 Turtles...
Exactly. This is being branded as a collector line so there doesn't need to be a focus on the main four when there are so many other supporting characters that can be made.

Unfortunately, as this is a retail based line then there may be the edict from the retailers to have the more popular turtles on shelves which could result in the GI Joe issue of Duke, Storm Shadow, Snake Eyes, Cobra Commander and Destro variants ad nauseum.

There are plently of turtle variants they could do and have them spaced out enough so as to not clog shelves. There are the Coat and Fedora disguise turtles, Comic based turtles, 2k3 based turtles, these are variants that make sense.

There were some god awful variants in the original line, and even as a kid I could not stand them. I didn't buy one.

Playmates are potentially sitting on a gold mine if they handle this correctly. If this truly is a collector based line then I hope they treat it as such. There is a reason MOTUC and Thundercats Classics are popular and it has nothing to do with kids buying the product

I am not a hardcore TMNT fan, I am a nostalgia fan who is recreating his childhood with new toys of the same era. I was a fan of TMNT growing up and I already like what I have seen so far.

Playmates, I am your new fan base. Do not give me crappy variants of the same few characters or disregard the secondary characters because I will lose interest real fast. Provide me with a healthy variety of highly articualted and poseable characters and I will be in for the long haul
TheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #1104
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
Playmates, I am your new fan base. Do not give me crappy variants of the same few characters or disregard the secondary characters because I will lose interest real fast. Provide me with a healthy variety of highly articualted and poseable characters and I will be in for the long haul
Honestly, as much as I want secondary characters I'd much rather have sets of turtles spanning the multiverse.
Jim Lawson turtles, Jim Henson turtles, etc.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #1105
stormbringer
Foot Soldier
 
stormbringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
Exactly. This is being branded as a collector line so there doesn't need to be a focus on the main four when there are so many other supporting characters that can be made.

Unfortunately, as this is a retail based line then there may be the edict from the retailers to have the more popular turtles on shelves which could result in the GI Joe issue of Duke, Storm Shadow, Snake Eyes, Cobra Commander and Destro variants ad nauseum.

There are plently of turtle variants they could do and have them spaced out enough so as to not clog shelves. There are the Coat and Fedora disguise turtles, Comic based turtles, 2k3 based turtles, these are variants that make sense.

There were some god awful variants in the original line, and even as a kid I could not stand them. I didn't buy one.

Playmates are potentially sitting on a gold mine if they handle this correctly. If this truly is a collector based line then I hope they treat it as such. There is a reason MOTUC and Thundercats Classics are popular and it has nothing to do with kids buying the product

I am not a hardcore TMNT fan, I am a nostalgia fan who is recreating his childhood with new toys of the same era. I was a fan of TMNT growing up and I already like what I have seen so far.

Playmates, I am your new fan base. Do not give me crappy variants of the same few characters or disregard the secondary characters because I will lose interest real fast. Provide me with a healthy variety of highly articualted and poseable characters and I will be in for the long haul
Exactly. Since this is a collectors line, 20 variants of the same characters would kill the line quick.
stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #1106
TheFallen
Thug
 
TheFallen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Honestly, as much as I want secondary characters I'd much rather have sets of turtles spanning the multiverse.
Jim Lawson turtles, Jim Henson turtles, etc.
I am quite happy for them to come but if every wave consisted of a new set of turtle variants I can guarantee they would eventually peg warm.

You are a hardcore collector, I am a casual spectator. I tend to think there would be way more of me than there are of you. That is not a slight by any means but I think the real hook for this to be a collectors line is to get other fans of the old turtles back. It is a niche line as it is, focusing on the hardcore collectors would be disasterous
TheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #1107
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Yeah well casual fans tend to buy one or two turtles, maybe the set of 4, and cease purchasing. The reason playmates has always pushed turtle variants is because they sell better than secondary characters. This has been the case since day one.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #1108
TheFallen
Thug
 
TheFallen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Yeah well casual fans tend to buy one or two turtles, maybe the set of 4, and cease purchasing. The reason playmates has always pushed turtle variants is because they sell better than secondary characters. This has been the case since day one.
Is that true?

I did not know that. I am only basing my opinions on what I have seen from the collector communities over the last couple of years.

I am interested to know, what would everyone want more;

A Slap Shot Leo or Bebop?

Maybe things will be different this time as this is the first collector line?
TheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:38 PM   #1109
stormbringer
Foot Soldier
 
stormbringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
Is that true?

I did not know that. I am only basing my opinions on what I have seen from the collector communities over the last couple of years.

I am interested to know, what would everyone want more;

A Slap Shot Leo or Bebop?

Maybe things will be different this time as this is the first collector line?
Bebop for me. I'm not really interested in goofy non-show related variants.
stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #1110
TheFallen
Thug
 
TheFallen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormbringer View Post
Bebop for me. I'm not really interested in goofy non-show related variants.
But to play Devil's Advocate, would you buy a Jim Henson or Jim Lawson variant turtle? Would you buy it before you bought a Bebop?
TheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:46 PM   #1111
Lordmylar06
Stone Warrior
 
Lordmylar06's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hurst, TX
Posts: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
Is that true?

I did not know that. I am only basing my opinions on what I have seen from the collector communities over the last couple of years.

I am interested to know, what would everyone want more;

A Slap Shot Leo or Bebop?

Maybe things will be different this time as this is the first collector line?
I get what you're saying about the 'goofy' variants from the old line. I think what Powder is saying is a little different. Different sculpts based on fan-favorite artists of the Turtles would be great for the line as long as it's done properly and not flooded all at once. I think maybe a quarterly or even semi annually released Turtles sculpt variant would be acceptable.

Every wave should be completely unique characters in my opinion, with the Turtle variants being a special release between waves. I think I'm kind of getting into wishful thinking there, but I do believe it's manageable.
Lordmylar06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #1112
TheFallen
Thug
 
TheFallen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordmylar06 View Post
I get what you're saying about the 'goofy' variants from the old line. I think what Powder is saying is a little different. Different sculpts based on fan-favorite artists of the Turtles would be great for the line as long as it's done properly and not flooded all at once. I think maybe a quarterly or even semi annually released Turtles sculpt variant would be acceptable.

Every wave should be completely unique characters in my opinion, with the Turtle variants being a special release between waves. I think I'm kind of getting into wishful thinking there, but I do believe it's manageable.
Don't get me wrong, that is what I want. I am quite happy for them to be released as long as they are spaced out. I want every one to get what they want, this line is not just for me

Let me pose the question another way;

Would you rather buy variants of the main four turtles (comic based, 2003 based, artist based) or buy secondary and supporting characters?
TheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #1113
Lordmylar06
Stone Warrior
 
Lordmylar06's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hurst, TX
Posts: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
DOn't get me wrong, that is what I want. I am quite happy for them to be released as long as they are spaced out.

Let me pose the question another way;

Would you rather buy variants of the main four turtles (comic based, 2003 based, artist based) or buy secondary and supporting characters?
Ah, but the devil's in the details! Variant Turtles vs. classics supporting characters is tough. For me it would have to be on a figure vs. figure basis. Sometimes the turtle variants would be more desired, sometimes the supporting character... unless it's April. Because there's a rule that we're all supposed to hate every release of every version of April... it's in the handbook.

If I had to choose, and ONLY if I had to, I would pick the supporting characters... Mutanimals first please.
Lordmylar06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:59 PM   #1114
TheFallen
Thug
 
TheFallen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 72
I would pick secondary characters every time. I would still probably buy the turtles but supporting characters is where it is at for me. Muckman and Joe Eyeball all the way

I wonder how many people look at their NECA TMNT figures and wish there was a Foot Soldier and Shredder to go along with them......
TheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #1115
Doc_ock_4mugen
Hench Mutant
 
Doc_ock_4mugen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 389
I wouldn't mind Alternate versions of the Turtles every now and then (OT, Comics, 2k3... Recreating Turtles Forever baby!) BUT I wouldn't want this to be a line of PURELY the 4 Turtles with a random secondary character thrown in... Like a certain Movie Line from another company that is pretty much a ghost of a line by releasing the same 4 characters AGAIN and AGAIN...

I need Secondary characters, darn it!
__________________
Mikey might be part of Nick now, but he still loves Miley... I mean Hannah... Stupid Secret Identity!!
Doc_ock_4mugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #1116
TheFallen
Thug
 
TheFallen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_ock_4mugen View Post
I wouldn't mind Alternate versions of the Turtles every now and then (OT, Comics, 2k3... Recreating Turtles Forever baby!) BUT I wouldn't want this to be a line of PURELY the 4 Turtles with a random secondary character thrown in... Like a certain Movie Line from another company that is pretty much a ghost of a line by releasing the same 4 characters AGAIN and AGAIN...

I need Secondary characters, darn it!
Busted!!!
TheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #1117
stormbringer
Foot Soldier
 
stormbringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
But to play Devil's Advocate, would you buy a Jim Henson or Jim Lawson variant turtle? Would you buy it before you bought a Bebop?
Now that is a different story. I would still want a Bebop, but I would definately buy those Turtle variants.
stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #1118
Uki
Hench Mutant
 
Uki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Woodlands, Tx
Posts: 337
Oh yeah, I'm big on secondary characters. Honestly, they can get quite a bit of mileage by maintaining the presence of these first four turtles on the pegs, reteleasing them alongside subsequent waves of characters such as April, Shredder, Splinter, Ace Duck, Muckman, and so on infinitum. Periodically adding in new turtles would of course be great as well (be they alternate versions such as Henson, Mirage, Image, IDW...or variant costumes (trench coats, teenage hipster disguise, or even some of the zany looks of the old lines).

Oh, and I like my old April figures...! (I only had the orange striped OT version, the 2002 version, and the 2007 movie version-which could've been better, admittedly.)
Oh yeah, I have the Neca version too; she's swell.

And a big HECK YES to recreating Turtles Forever!
__________________
-Proud Member of the Turtle Whacks!
Uki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #1119
pannoni1
Foot Elite
 
pannoni1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 3,447
With all this activity, I'd like to do a little bit of analysis on where the future of these toys (and TMNT in general) is going. I hate to play Debbie Downer, but let's pause and think "what could go wrong?"

Before we get to excited on this post, let's think about the potential setbacks and traps that could cause disappointment. What we need is the GENERAL PUBLIC to agree that these new lines are cool, and can compete with not only other classic lines, such as the Star Wars/Transformers/MOTU/GI Joes, but also the current ones such as Kung Fu and Avatar. Good public reviews comes first and foremost. Next is the interest by the kids targeted at this new show, which depends upon ratings. It's possible that poor animation/storytelling could curtail interest, and thus lead to a backlash and disinterest to the casual fans and general public, not the diehards like us. I went through this by following a Whitney Houston comeback album in 2009, whereas the fans generally loved the new album, the general public disagreed, and after a brief spark, quickly fell into obscurity. I can almost guarantee a spark in this scenerio given the TMNT's history. It's more going to be about sustainability after the excitement for the new show wears off. When the show goes into reruns, that will be the real test to see if kids continue to enjoy the show like we did when the OT was in reruns in between seasons. I'd much rather have the classics line fail than the Nickelodeon line, since that is the future. It could also turn out to be a 2003 with mild success, but mainly staying under the radar, which is another possibility, and quite frankly the most likely scenerio. If the public is shopping and sees the TMNT figures and thinks, "It's nice, but I've been there, done that", don't expect this era to last for long. Let's just hope this new series isn't another TNM, but that seems unlikely at this point, given how the classic lines have good collector's appeal and are getting harder and harder to find for cheap, the nostalgia factor (the generation who watched the '80s toon as a kid, especially the older end, are now having their own children making it multigenerational), and the IDW series being a good launching pad for the current generation. Here's to a good future and third generation for all Ninja Nerds!
__________________
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...d.php?t=37065- MY WANT LIST

TMNT FAN CLUB LINK: http://sot.ag/gCjK/

30 years of Turtle Power!
pannoni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:39 PM   #1120
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
TheFallen you can ask as many people here what their opinion is but the fact remains that turtle variants sell better.
Not to us hardcore collectors necessarily but the general public. Email playmates if you really want to.
This is a collector line, allegedly FOR collectors, so we have a better chance at secondary characters but nothing is concrete.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
playmates toys


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.