The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2016, 04:35 PM   #121
Galactus
Foot Elite
 
Galactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,009
I believe that interview was done before the released. Although I wonder if it's a case of getting their excuses in early.

One nice thing for them is that despite saying I wouldn't see the movie despite me being naturally curious it struggling at the box office actually made it easy put that aside in the sense that I didn't want to be a part of the problem in helping a clearly flawed movie being a big success but since that's not the case I bit the bullet and went to see it.

With that in mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Someone obviously didn't watch that scene closely enough- or just doesn't know their landmark buildings. That was the Chrystler Building NOT the Empire State! I'd think having Mikey incite a pile-up on one of the falcon gargoyles would be enough to make that clear. Or that wide shot panning in on them on the art-deco spire.....
Which of course makes it slightly confusing when getting to the top of the Chysler building later in the movie is portrayed as a huge feat the turtles can't do without the aid of the police.

Then again that's a rather small contradiction compared to things like few scenes earlier where the turtles realize that they can survive the atmosphere around the Technodrome whereas humans can't then moments later have their big moment of deciding whether to become human to convince the cops.

That opening was terrible though. Firstly while I like to see the turtles jumping from building to building they are not Spider-Man. It also more than a little bit devalued the central theme by portraying their lives as so fun filled and they were hardly staying out of sight.

I know what they were trying to do by trying to set the tone right away by showing a the turtles in full from the beginning and set the tone it would be a "fun" movie after the last movie. Likewise reinforcing New York is an important aspect of TMNT but this movie it felt that they were trying to shoe horn every major landmark. Everything up until Shredder was being transferred to into the prisoner carrier was garbage and felt like product placement for everything from the NY tourist board, Carmello Anthony's NBA gear, the Bumblebee spin off and Megan Fox's prospects of still being cast as eye candy.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:50 PM   #122
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 8,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
I believe that interview was done before the released. Although I wonder if it's a case of getting their excuses in early.

One nice thing for them is that despite saying I wouldn't see the movie despite me being naturally curious it struggling at the box office actually made it easy put that aside in the sense that I didn't want to be a part of the problem in helping a clearly flawed movie being a big success but since that's not the case I bit the bullet and went to see it.

With that in mind...



Which of course makes it slightly confusing when getting to the top of the Chysler building later in the movie is portrayed as a huge feat the turtles can't do without the aid of the police.

Then again that's a rather small contradiction compared to things like few scenes earlier where the turtles realize that they can survive the atmosphere around the Technodrome whereas humans can't then moments later have their big moment of deciding whether to become human to convince the cops.

That opening was terrible though. Firstly while I like to see the turtles jumping from building to building they are not Spider-Man. It also more than a little bit devalued the central theme by portraying their lives as so fun filled and they were hardly staying out of sight.

I know what they were trying to do by trying to set the tone right away by showing a the turtles in full from the beginning and set the tone it would be a "fun" movie after the last movie. Likewise reinforcing New York is an important aspect of TMNT but this movie it felt that they were trying to shoe horn every major landmark. Everything up until Shredder was being transferred to into the prisoner carrier was garbage and felt like product placement for everything from the NY tourist board, Carmello Anthony's NBA gear, the Bumblebee spin off and Megan Fox's prospects of still being cast as eye candy.


I believe the issue in getting there is that it was daylight and they would most certainly be seen. They probably had the cops clear out the building so they could go in. In the earlier scene, they were on the OUTSIDE of it. So no winesses to see them in the dark. They made a point during the movie of April telling them they couldn't go out during the day because they would be seen.

Also Donnie says in that scene were they are deciding whether to use the ooze that they would still be the same on the INSIDE but just LOOK human. So they could go out during the day and still survive the Drome's "toxic" atmosphere. Though I have to add that Shredder had already done so when he first met Krang so apparently that was just Donnie making false assumptions about it's atmosphere. A slight plot hole in having Shredder breathing just fine without a mask but otherwise it was all explained as part of the transformation if they used it. Human outside, turtly inside, LOL.
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:06 PM   #123
Galactus
Foot Elite
 
Galactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
I believe the issue in getting there is that it was daylight and they would most certainly be seen. They probably had the cops clear out the building so they could go in. In the earlier scene, they were on the OUTSIDE of it. So no winesses to see them in the dark. They made a point during the movie of April telling them they couldn't go out during the day because they would be seen.
Yeah I get that hence me saying it was a "small contradiction" but they had the truck to be able to drive there. Manholes near the Chysler building they could exit from, heck given how far they can jump they could have leaped across the nearby rooftops and climbed the rest of the way.

Same with them having to stay behind while April went inside TCRI. Surely they could have found a dark secluded spot nearby. It's not a big deal but it's worth mentioning.

Quote:
Also Donnie says in that scene were they are deciding whether to use the ooze that they would still be the same on the INSIDE but just LOOK human. So they could go out during the day and still survive the Drome's "toxic" atmosphere. Though I have to add that Shredder had already done so when he first met Krang so apparently that was just Donnie making false assumptions about it's atmosphere. A slight plot hole in having Shredder breathing just fine without a mask but otherwise it was all explained as part of the transformation if they used it. Human outside, turtly inside, LOL.
I'm calling foul on this one. I'm positive what Donatello meant is that they'd be the same people, with the same personalities. If it was meant on the inside their bodies they would be still genetically be mutants the script writers should have have him say exactly that. (Then again knowing Nemec and Applebaum maybe not)

It's not like I'm hugely down on the scene. I actually thought it was pretty effective. Unlike some who have criticized it I get that what they were trying to convey was the turtles didn't need words they just instinctively knew they were on the same page (although I suppose a nod from Mike wouldn't have gone amiss) and in a movie that promised slower scenes with them turtles but mostly got the doing kooky things in the lair this was welcome but it just happening right after saying that if they were humans they wouldn't survive near the Technodrome was misplaced. It's not like they even needed that, I think the everyone would likely accept that the police would leave it to the "super heroes" to confront the big robot.

It's another case of them overthinking certain elements (which lead to big contradictions) and not explaining important stuff the audience needs to know.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:35 PM   #124
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 8,773
Well he DID say it would only be a sip. And given that one drop changed his hand but it reverted back, it just seemed to imply that it would only affect their appearance. It might not even be a permanent change with that amount. Like I said, it was explained in the scene, though perhaps not perfectly. But it got the point across, IMHO.
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:28 PM   #125
beeshaw
Hench Mutant
 
beeshaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Toronto-ish
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
So how do you explain them constantly running around on rooftops in Nick or 2K3 series? They've ALWAYS spentba lot of time in high places- I imagine it's a nice change from looking UP at the world from a sewer grate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
To be fair, in those shows they're generally shown rooftop-hopping across much smaller buildings, not the tallest skyscrapers in midtown.
What Bry said. On top of a giant skyscraper was a bit much. Again... nothing more than a cool shot for the sake of a cool shot.

Hell, give me a line where Leo says 'I love seeing our city from up here...' or have Donnie be up there to toss an antennae or a camera or something for some of his tech. Give them a REASON to be up there. The only reason they were up there...was because they had a 'cool' idea of how to get them down to open the movie.
__________________
beeshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:49 PM   #126
miru
Mad Scientist
 
miru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,874
Now Bayyay's Substitute is attacking all of the fans for his deplorable film?


May this continuity rot.
miru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:21 AM   #127
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!
 
Bry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,463
Maybe not strictly on-topic for this thread (though the reviews thread is locked, so...) and I'm risking some teeth-gnashing and cursing by daring to post a Rotten Tomatoes score, but the steadily dropping RT audience score is now at 60%:



Will it dip into "rotten" today? Tomorrow? The suspense!
__________________
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:46 AM   #128
Commenter 42
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,954
I hate their stupid green monkey faces.
Commenter 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:45 PM   #129
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,684
I remember all the bad stuff we heard about the first one. Wait and see! Wait and see!

Then we started seeing actual trailers for it. Wait and see! Wait and see!

The movie came and went and it was horrible. The sequel will be better, wait and see! Wait and see!

I..... kinda don't hear anyone saying 'the third one will the good one, wait and see, wait and see!'
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:49 PM   #130
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I remember all the bad stuff we heard about the first one. Wait and see! Wait and see!

Then we started seeing actual trailers for it. Wait and see! Wait and see!

The movie came and went and it was horrible. The sequel will be better, wait and see! Wait and see!

I..... kinda don't hear anyone saying 'the third one will the good one, wait and see, wait and see!'
It's really ye olde "Battered Wife Syndrome." You know, "He'll get better one day, you'll see. You just don't understand. He'll stop beating me, he'll be better."

But no, he just keeps on beating.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 02:09 AM   #131
TrickOrTreater
Samhain
 
TrickOrTreater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
Maybe not strictly on-topic for this thread (though the reviews thread is locked, so...) and I'm risking some teeth-gnashing and cursing by daring to post a Rotten Tomatoes score, but the steadily dropping RT audience score is now at 60%:

http://s33.postimg.org/yk5aityzz/tmnt_rt.jpg

Will it dip into "rotten" today? Tomorrow? The suspense!
Whoooooooooops

__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Some men use knives and guns, but TrickOrTreater is a more dangerous villain. He. Uses. The. TRUTH.
TrickOrTreater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 02:30 AM   #132
Angry_Raph
Foot Soldier
 
Angry_Raph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 112
It's a great movie and an improvement on the first. Unfortunately the first movie may have been a fluke, and I only say that because they were riding high on the resurgence TMNT had with the new cartoon and toys. But I think the first movie made some people mad and others may just not have liked the edgy Michael Bay turtles. This movie may be suffering from the shock of how bad a lot of people felt the last movie was, and on that they decided to just skip the new movie. Let's face it the six foot mini Hulks were a bad choice, and the clothing only made it stranger. At least they weren't aliens and they did some rewrites to bring in Saki as Shredder. The first movie did very little to appeal to fans, instead they wanted urban Turtles with muscles. This movie may have been what fans wanted to see, but it's probably one movie too late. You can't redeem your franchise after you made Teenage Mutant Ninja Transformers as the first entry.
Angry_Raph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 03:10 AM   #133
neatoman
Overlord
 
neatoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 11,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickOrTreater View Post
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:26 AM   #134
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!
 
Bry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickOrTreater View Post
The day is here!!

Into the garbage truck with you, Platinum Dunes movies!

__________________
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 03:11 PM   #135
TrickOrTreater
Samhain
 
TrickOrTreater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,277


I'm having a great time.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Some men use knives and guns, but TrickOrTreater is a more dangerous villain. He. Uses. The. TRUTH.
TrickOrTreater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:57 PM   #136
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,415
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 03:17 PM   #137
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,415
Let's have us a party!

Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 03:25 PM   #138
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist
 
Technogeek29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Huntsville
Posts: 1,486
__________________
Technogeek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 05:20 AM   #139
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist
 
Sabacooza's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,994
Didn't know where to ask this but did Mad Magazine ever do anything with the Bay turtles? I thought these movies would've been perfect for spoofing. Just curious.
Sabacooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:52 AM   #140
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
If not it is a missed opportunity. Mikey would make a great Alfred E. Neuman.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bomb, tmnt 2


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.