The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Will we hit issue 200?
Yes 33 47.14%
No 37 52.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-27-2022, 03:37 AM   #13
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypered1 View Post
So now you're calling Andrew a liar?
He's incorrect, possibly mistaken rather than lying, but incorrect regardless. Just because I may agree with him on a lot things, have similar tastes or because people here may generally like him does not mean he can't be factually wrong. Maybe Sophie wrote some Mirage book at some point but I can only find artist credit. If someone can find a Mirage TMNT book with writing credit to Sophie, I will apologise but I will not just assume it exists because someone tells me it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypered1 View Post
If you want to just stick with the IDW run then Sophie also wrote the 'Toad Baron's Ball' 2-parter and the 'Karai's Path' arc both the in Universe and they're more like #125 than the rest of the post-#100 issues.
Before I detail what I have to say about the Toad Baron story and Karai's path, if your intention is to use them as examples of how 125 is consistent with Sophie's style, as in a style she has usedall alone, those are actually bad examples. If you go ahead an read who is credited with the writing for those stories, the Toad Baron story says "Sophie Campbell and Bobby Curnow" and Karai's path says "By Erik Burham with Sophie Campbell". They are both examples of Sophie having a writing partner.

To say "These stories that Sophie wrote with someone else are good, therefore the good issue she allegedly wrote alone can't have had someone else helping out" is dumb. If her best writing credits are co-credits and all the other issues she wrote alone without significant help were bad, it doesn't exactly give me less reason to think someone else was involved with the writing process.

To clarify, I never claimed 125 was absolutely written by someone else in it's entirety, or even that I know anything for certain. All I have ever claimed about issue 125 is that I suspect someone else was at least partially involved with the writing process. Sophie Campbell could technically be the sole writer of 125 as is officially claimed, it's just that I doubt that is the case.

Now, I will agree that the Toad Baron two-parter and Karai's Path are better comics than 101-124 are. But like we have already established, we know they aren't solo written by Campbell so using their quality as a case for why 125 can't have a secret co-writer doesn't work. However, even assuming Sophie was the driving force on these comics rather than Curnow or Burnham and that they had minimal involvement (which I doubt), they aren't actually more similar to 125 than they are 101-124. The pacing and dialogue are much better in those comics than 101-124, this is true but like 101-124 there is a heavy emphasis on a main plot with little to no effort put into a sub-plot and there are long montages where the art takes focus with not much emphasis on progressing the plot at all. With 125 you pretty much get the opposite, every panel is dedicated to the plot and there are two (arguably three) sub-plots involved.

Going back to Andrew, a thing I mostly don't agree with him on quite frequently is that seems to consider "maturity level" and "level of grit" to be indicative of quality, and in this case also seems to think this is what style boils down to. I think you might be making a similar mistake here and need to tell you right now to try and think about this on a less surface oriented level (if I'm mistaken about where you are coming from, please correct me). Yes, 125 along with Karai's Path and the Toad Baron two-parter are "grittier and more mature" than what most of 101-124 were but honestly, not by much. More importantly, structurally 125 is still major departure from 101-124 and I need to be given a reason to think it's not in order to be convinced Sophie had to be the sole writer.
Hahahaha!

Last edited by neatoman; 01-27-2022 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Noticed an error in formulating the counter argument.
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote