The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 11-13-2021, 01:52 AM   #21
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
This is either going to be huge or a failed revival and probably not anywhere inbetween.

I hate to say it but it will probably not do as well as they think. I've done the nostalgia thing across a variety of media and material and going back rarely holds up, unfortunately.

One of the few things that does is Batman TAS and FW TMNT, but those work well as "background noise".
I can go back and still enjoy things immensely.

Batman: TAS is still a classic, so is Fred Wolf (first three seasons and season seven are chef's kiss in particular). I don't give a s*it for The New Batman Adventures though, ghastly overrated back-end to that era of the franchise.

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 11-13-2021 at 02:13 AM.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 02:59 AM   #22
Turo602
The King of Kings

Yeah, X-Men definitely holds up very well today too. I've rewatched it back when Disney+ was new and the show still looks fantastic. Yeah, the animation is slower compared to a lot of modern cartoons, but I don't think that's necessarily a detriment to the show as the action is far more powers based than physical combat and the show in general has a huge emphasis on storytelling.
Old 11-13-2021, 10:18 AM   #23
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
I don't give a s*it for The New Batman Adventures though, ghastly overrated back-end to that era of the franchise.
So's the word "overrated."

Overrated how? Everyone agrees it's inferior to TAS.

Last edited by LeotheLateBloomer; 11-13-2021 at 10:39 AM.
LeotheLateBloomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 11:15 AM   #24
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo602 View Post
Yeah, X-Men definitely holds up very well today too. I've rewatched it back when Disney+ was new and the show still looks fantastic. Yeah, the animation is slower compared to a lot of modern cartoons, but I don't think that's necessarily a detriment to the show as the action is far more powers based than physical combat and the show in general has a huge emphasis on storytelling.
I did like the insanity of it all, when all the characters just jump in and go nuts. There's people flying everywhere, laser blasts and exploding cards all over the place and Wolverine just slicing up Sentinels left and right.

But the show was very power-based. Seemed Wolverine was the only one that would still put up a fight since removing his healing factor doesn't make his claws go away, just hurt a lot more when he whips em out. But similar to whenever the Turtles lost their weapons, the X-Men usually can't do anything when de-powered, even though they're still pretty muscular and should have trained in basic combat skills without their powers. It was a cool and rare treat to see Storm fight Callisto without her powers.

Never too clear WTF Callisto's powers were to be honest.

But yeah that is one thing I remember learning about Wolverine that made me wince when reading a random 'character quote' from him. He explained how his claws literally tear their way out through his hands every time he uses them, and due to his healing factor, the holes close up every time he unsheathes his claws, which mean they'll tear their way through his flesh all over again the next time he uses them. I'm like yeah...... that's one extra power I would rather live without.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

Last edited by Coola Yagami; 11-13-2021 at 11:21 AM.
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 01:17 PM   #25
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

now it makes all the more sense why Hasbro is releasing those new X-Men Animated Series styled figures. I've got Wolverine, Jubes and Sinister ordered already, excite!
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 02:07 PM   #26
CyberCubed
Overlord

Did the 90's show cover most of the major comic book stories from the time? If so, what is there left to cover? A lot of the characters and their relationships to each other were already established too. Maybe include more of the characters like Shadowcat and Nightcrawler and Iceman who could use big roles in this.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 02:15 PM   #27
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Did the 90's show cover most of the major comic book stories from the time? If so, what is there left to cover?
Fatal Attractions
Generation X
Onslaught
Zero Tolerance
Cable's friendship with Kelly
Legacy Virus
Old 11-13-2021, 04:33 PM   #28
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Well I'm glad others share my same concerns, but to try to be a bit more optimistic about it so Autobot doesn't get triggered:

The show is named '97 which is when the show stopped airing so I do think they'll keep it in continuity. I would like it if some of the same writers but at the very least because of the name I'd assume they'd do research over the tone of the show to try to keep it.

Animation is obviously not going to be the same since it'll be digital but it can't be worse than the last season's character models/animation. I don't think this team of x-men needed more stories (unlike Evolution and Wolverine&thex-men which did deserve more) but more can definitely be written and it can be cool, I doubt they'll be ground breaking stories but it should be fine.

Fans complaining now is really for the best since they're just beginning and might listen to the feedback they're getting. I just hope we don't get any MCU influences, I guess adding characters/new x-men is ok, we'll see deadpool and whatever but don't replace the current canon version of characters, all the Marvel cartoons from the 90s either had crossovers or referenced the other cartoons with the exception of the silver surfer cartoon. If Iron Man has to show up, it better be the Iron Man from the 90s cartoons.

This X-Men cartoon was my introduction to Marvel heroes, I knew spider-man/hulk/fantastic four existed before that but I had never seen any cartoons or shows or anything from them, this was my first exposure. After that I checked out Spider-Man and so on the other cartoons. They went all in on cameos and crossovers, way before the MCU or the Arrowverse.

I can see Spider-Man TAS getting revived too if this does well, the other cartoons have no chance but i'd love to see the 90s cartoon Hulk, Iron Man, Fantastic Four etc crossover in X-Men 97 and a theoretical Spider-Man 98. I mean every other episode was already a crossover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
now it makes all the more sense why Hasbro is releasing those new X-Men Animated Series styled figures.
the revival won't air until sometime in 2023, the only link is that both are being done to capitalize on nostalgia for the show.

Last edited by sdp; 11-13-2021 at 05:04 PM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 06:05 PM   #29
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

The series had heroes from the marvel universe that weren't mutants, There was an episode that told Rogue's backstory on how she got her super strength and flight powers.

She drained the powers from Captain Marvel when she used to be called Ms Marvel.
Old 11-13-2021, 06:11 PM   #30
neatoman
Emperor

I do find the announcement of what is essentially 90's X-Men season 6 to be odd because:
  1. Weren't all the other Marvel announcements MCU related?
  2. Why revive such an old cartoon, rather than just reboot?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 06:20 PM   #31
Sumac
Banned

While not connected, I feel chances of the new TMNT movies / series, being continuation of the FW show are rising.
Everyone want to hype on nostalgia.

He-Man got his reboot-continuation thing going on, DCAU is revived through the comic books, now this. All that's missing is continuation of G1 Transformers and Spider-Man TAS.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 06:50 PM   #32
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
While not connected, I feel chances of the new TMNT movies / series, being continuation of the FW show are rising.
Everyone want to hype on nostalgia.
I'd be shocked if it didn't happen.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 07:29 PM   #33
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
The series had heroes from the marvel universe that weren't mutants, There was an episode that told Rogue's backstory on how she got her super strength and flight powers.

She drained the powers from Captain Marvel when she used to be called Ms Marvel.
X-Men was a little more conservative when it came to guest roles from the marvel universe, the only one that had any big role was Ms Marvel I think but it had tons of small cameos that showed iconic marvel heroes either in big fights or through flash backs including spider-man, hulk, ghost rider, iron man, the avengers, dr strange, black panther, punisher.

90s Spider-Man was crossover happy with most of them getting more than one episode and tons of dialog/interactions in the stories, we had Punisher, Blade, Captain America, Iron Man, Fantastic Four, X-Men, Dr. Strange, DareDevil, and I'm sure I'm missing some, it was also supposed to have Hulk. Spider-Man connects all the Marvel Cartoons better than the others.

Hulk's 90s cartoon actually had plenty of crossovers and guest marvel characters as well, Ghost Rider, Dr. Stranger, Iron Man, SHIELD, Dr. Doom, The Thing. Fantastic Fours 90s cartoon is very similar having black panther, the inhumans, hulk, hydro man from 90s spidey, ghost rider, dare devil, namor, iron man, captain america.

Iron Man's cartoon was basically a west coast avengers cartoon so most members of the west coat avengers were in every episode of season 1 including Scarlet Witch, spider-woman, SHIELD appears. Avenger's Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon basically has many of the west coast avengers team from Iron Man's first season with the same voice actors, though besides that and Iron Man's crossover episode there aren't many links to the original marvel universe.

Spider-Man Unlimited and silver surfer's 90s cartoons are a different universe despite having one or two smaller references, they just contradict too much to even consider fitting in. But to say the other marvel cartoons from the 90s are not in continuity is just judicious and yet the marvel wikis have them as separate universes because there is "no proof".

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I feel like I'm as big a fan of the original series as most people (I even tried to collect a full run of the tie-in comic book),.
I just found out there was a continuation comic called X-Men 92, so i'm guessing it wasn't very good?
Old 11-13-2021, 07:35 PM   #34
CyberCubed
Overlord

Given the outcry over Spectacular Spiderman being canceled, I'm really surprised they didn't revive that. Maybe when Greg Weisman is done with Young Justice he can drum up support to complete the show, he said he wanted Spectacular to have 5 seasons.

Young Justice Season 4 should be the end of the show anyway, assuming they don't try dragging things out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Everyone want to hype on nostalgia. .
If they do it, they better do it before more of the old VA's start passing away. Barry Gordon is 72, we know the Fred Wolf Turtles always sound off when they have sound-a-likes replacing them. Nick got them all back for the 2012 crossovers, so with the exception of Shredder for obvious reasons, it could happen.
Old 11-13-2021, 08:00 PM   #35
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Given the outcry over Spectacular Spiderman being canceled, I'm really surprised they didn't revive that. Maybe when Greg Weisman is done with Young Justice he can drum up support to complete the show, he said he wanted Spectacular to have 5 seasons.

Young Justice Season 4 should be the end of the show anyway, assuming they don't try dragging things out.
Weisman is the worst and will never finish a show, he'll always leave a cliffhanger because he has a 17 season plan for the shows he works on in his head despite not being greenlit for more than one.

I would indeed love more episodes of Spectacular, Wolverine & the X-Men and Avengers Earth's mightiest heroes (which were all in continuity with each other BTW). All 3 of those shows got cut short after disney bought marvel. Those shows deserve more episodes than the 90s cartoons. Marvel had finally hit its animation peak that rivaled the DCAU and Disney killed it to make new cartoons that were inferior and just bad copies of the MCU.
Old 11-14-2021, 01:03 AM   #36
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Given the outcry over Spectacular Spiderman being canceled, I'm really surprised they didn't revive that. Maybe when Greg Weisman is done with Young Justice he can drum up support to complete the show, he said he wanted Spectacular to have 5 seasons
Spectacular can't be legally revived, Wiesman's gone over this several times.

The show did briefly come back as an audio drama that crossed over with Gargoyles that was played at conventions, but there haven't been any more since then.
Old 11-14-2021, 07:01 AM   #37
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
90s Spider-Man was crossover happy with most of them getting more than one episode and tons of dialog/interactions in the stories, we had Punisher, Blade, Captain America, Iron Man, Fantastic Four, X-Men, Dr. Strange, DareDevil, and I'm sure I'm missing some, it was also supposed to have Hulk. Spider-Man connects all the Marvel Cartoons better than the others.
I remember how hyped I was seeing X-Men (who were explicitly the same characters from X-Men cartoon I watched some years before), appearing in Spider-Man TAS.
It was so cool and new for me at the time.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 07:55 AM   #38
ZariusTwo
Overlord

The X-Men/Spidey team up from the cartoon was in itself an adaptation of a comic storyline, but not from the main books, instead they lifted the material from the Spider-Man newspaper comic.
Old 11-14-2021, 09:55 AM   #39
CyberCubed
Overlord

Thinking about it more I wonder why they didn't choose to do a remake/reboot with the 90's X-men designs and cast rather than a continuation. I feel its more of the 90's designs and look/feel people are nostalgic for rather than most of the show itself, because now whatever stories they already did they can't "re-do" so to speak because they happened already.

This news though is compelling me to do a full watch of the 90's X-men since I've never done that before. Probably won't be able to do that for another month or two since I'm watching other shows for now, but I guess stuff like this makes some of us want to watch old shows we missed.
Old 11-14-2021, 11:13 AM   #40
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
X-Men was a little more conservative when it came to guest roles from the marvel universe, the only one that had any big role was Ms Marvel I think but it had tons of small cameos that showed iconic marvel heroes either in big fights or through flash backs including spider-man, hulk, ghost rider, iron man, the avengers, dr strange, black panther, punisher.
There was an also an episode where Wolverine met Captain America back in the day, though the episode acted as if he was still 'gone' or on ice or whatever. I remember the Spider-Man show did the same thing. Captain America (at the time I guess) was this hero that only existed during WW2 era and didn't exist in modern day yet.

But yeah, I think it's because X-Men was still the first cartoon. It was still several seasons in by the time Spider-Man and all the other shows were on. Those all came on at around the same time so their characters were free to crossover here and there, and the X-Men didn't even crossover with Spider-Man til a few seasons later too.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote