The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2002, 11:46 AM   #1
spooie redux
Random Punk
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 17
Random TMNT mention...

Just picked up the Simpsons season 1 boxed set yesterday, and durring the commentary for "Bart the Genius", the creators are talking about all the catch phrases that Bart said that people thought they had created... like "Don't have a Cow" and "Eat my Shorts"... well, they brought up "Cowabunga"... and mentioned that Bart said that once, but it was lifted from the TMNT era.

spooie redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 12:25 PM   #2
Reznorite420
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,851
"Cowabunga" isn't at all original even with the TMNT. It's one of many general surfer lingo out there.
Reznorite420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 03:10 PM   #3
Jephael
That whack job behind you
 
Jephael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,143
They used it in Full House once in awhile as well. Infact, they even had Frankie Avalon shout it and Annette started griping about it.
__________________
"I like it. Simple, but effective!"
Raphael; The Mean Machines - 1988

Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 06:23 PM   #4
Deathknight
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: One of the 972 rooms of the technodrome
Posts: 1,995
Yeah, I saw Cowabunga! written on the back on a Rocket Power cheese cracker box thing... I was like wtf, now THEY'RE using Cowabunga?
__________________
Shredder: "Ninja hall of fame? Ha! Where's MY statue?!"
-My Brother, the Bad Guy
Deathknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 06:23 PM   #5
Ninja Turtles Cartoon Fan
Stone Warrior
 
Ninja Turtles Cartoon Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 835
The only time I've ever heard the word cowabunga used was during the cartoon. Other cartoons or real-life people may use it, but I'll always and forever associate cowabunga with the Ninja Turtles.

"Cowabunga!" - Michaelangelo, from "Case of the Killer Pizzas"
Ninja Turtles Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 06:36 PM   #6
GreenWillow
Hench Mutant
 
GreenWillow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Mountains
Posts: 425
~Ok kids, History 101. "Cowabunga", which was adopted into the surfer lingo of the sixties was actually born on the "Howdy Doody Show" which was the first children's show to be aired on televison. It ran from 1947 to 1960. "Cowabunga" was first spoken by "Chief Thunderthud", one of the puppet characters, though the man responsible for creating the word was the head writer, Eddie Kean.
Don't ask me how I know this...heh.....

~GreenWillow
__________________
Hugs, kisses, GreenFaerieDust(tm) and a small vial of Belladonna. Life is good.
GreenWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 06:40 PM   #7
Ninja Turtles Cartoon Fan
Stone Warrior
 
Ninja Turtles Cartoon Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWillow
~Ok kids, History 101. "Cowabunga", which was adopted into the surfer lingo of the sixties was actually born on the "Howdy Doody Show" which was the first children's show to be aired on televison. It ran from 1947 to 1960. "Cowabunga" was first spoken by "Chief Thunderthud", one of the puppet characters, though the man responsible for creating the word was the head writer, Eddie Kean.
Don't ask me how I know this...heh.....

~GreenWillow
*Bows down to the wise and honorable one of the forum*

Yes, GreenWillow. You are very wise.

*Suddenly gets a troubled look on his face*

How did you know that, anyway?

"Not your best time, Michaelangelo." - Splinter, from "Invasion of the Punk Rock Frogs"
Ninja Turtles Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 06:43 PM   #8
GreenWillow
Hench Mutant
 
GreenWillow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Mountains
Posts: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Turtles Cartoon Fan
*Bows down to the wise and honorable one of the forum*
Yes, Greenwillow. You are very wise.
*Suddenly gets a troubled look on his face*
How did you know that anyway?
~I *toldja* not to ask! Not unless you really wanna be scared.

~GW
__________________
Hugs, kisses, GreenFaerieDust(tm) and a small vial of Belladonna. Life is good.
GreenWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 06:47 PM   #9
Ninja Turtles Cartoon Fan
Stone Warrior
 
Ninja Turtles Cartoon Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWillow
~I *toldja* not to ask! Not unless you really wanna be scared.

~GW
Never mind! I'm sorry, oh wise and honorable one! Truly, I will be punished for my terrible misdeed!

*Runs and hides*

Me no like to be scared!

"I know we're short, but not that short!" - Raphael, from "The Great Boldini"
Ninja Turtles Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 06:58 PM   #10
GreenWillow
Hench Mutant
 
GreenWillow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Mountains
Posts: 425
<watches NTCF run off>
<blinks>
~Wow. Didn't know I wielded such power.
Nah, don't worry. No punishment. I'm like, really into positive reinforcement, y'know?
Helllooo....?? It's ok. really. No matter what they've told you....really. It was all a gross exaggeration....

<sai...>

~GW
__________________
Hugs, kisses, GreenFaerieDust(tm) and a small vial of Belladonna. Life is good.
GreenWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 07:04 PM   #11
Ninja Turtles Cartoon Fan
Stone Warrior
 
Ninja Turtles Cartoon Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWillow
<watches NTCF run off>
<blinks>
~Wow. Didn't know I wielded such power.
Nah, don't worry. No punishment. I'm like, really into positive reinforcement, y'know?
Helllooo....?? It's ok. really. No matter what they've told you....really. It was all a gross exaggeration....

<sai...>

~GW
*Peeks his head out from under the bed*

Are you sure? No tricks! I hope you're not getting my hopes up.

I'm just going to sit right here on my Turtle couch and mind my manners.

"It's safe to come out now . . . you sniveling cowards!"
"Are you sure?"

Shredder and Bebop, from . . . uh, I don't know which episode. GreenWillow scared me so badly that I can't remember!
Ninja Turtles Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 09:31 PM   #12
GreenWillow
Hench Mutant
 
GreenWillow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Mountains
Posts: 425
~Yes. Reallly. It's ok. No tricks. Here:
<Offers NTCF a Mango of Conciliation>



~GW (golly, I sure hope that's not the same Mango that Azure gave me two months ago....)
__________________
Hugs, kisses, GreenFaerieDust(tm) and a small vial of Belladonna. Life is good.
GreenWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 07:17 AM   #13
Reznorite420
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Turtles Cartoon Fan
"It's safe to come out now . . . you sniveling cowards!"
"Are you sure?"

Shredder and Bebop, from . . . uh, I don't know which episode. GreenWillow scared me so badly that I can't remember!
PEKING TURTLE!!!!!

HA!!!! And I just now finished watching it!
Reznorite420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 10:17 AM   #14
Sparvid
Stone Warrior
 
Sparvid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Ă–stersund, Sweden
Posts: 860
In #14 Casey jumped on a brass cow on a moving truck shouting: "Cowabunga"

Couse you know... It was a cow...
*sigh*

Sparvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 11:45 AM   #15
GreenWillow
Hench Mutant
 
GreenWillow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Mountains
Posts: 425
~LOL! I'd forgotten about that one. Has anyone seen the one pint chocolate or strawberry flavored milk called "Cowabunga"? The bit of dialogue or product description, whatever, on the back uses "dude" a lot. I was wondering if the manufacturer was into surfers or Turtles....

~GW
__________________
Hugs, kisses, GreenFaerieDust(tm) and a small vial of Belladonna. Life is good.
GreenWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 11:56 AM   #16
HorseTechie
Inactive Moderator
 
HorseTechie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,677
Ehhh... I can't remember.

But now I'm confused GW... I thought cowabunga came from 'kawabunga', something that the ancient native tribe people from Hawaii used to say when the surf was up.

Or was it that Howdy Doody reinnovated the word by giving it that new spelling?
HorseTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 12:04 PM   #17
GreenWillow
Hench Mutant
 
GreenWillow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Mountains
Posts: 425
~Jeez, we'd prolly have to ask Eddie Kean... but I don't think so.
" Kawa" could pass for Hawaiian, but I don't think there are any sounds like "Bunga" in that language.... Sounds more like an urban myth..or a surfer myth.

~GW
__________________
Hugs, kisses, GreenFaerieDust(tm) and a small vial of Belladonna. Life is good.
GreenWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 12:12 PM   #18
HorseTechie
Inactive Moderator
 
HorseTechie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,677
Whaa.... all these years and I've been misled?

Hrmph... well, encarta heard of niether a word. Bu the Howdy Doody bit is right. http://www.xnet2.com/bomp/searchable/9901/msg00359.html
HorseTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 12:28 PM   #19
GreenWillow
Hench Mutant
 
GreenWillow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Mountains
Posts: 425
~I fear it is true. The word was create by a kids' show writer. But I mean, there's some wonderful history and lineage there even without the ancient tribal Hawaiians, no?

~GW
__________________
Hugs, kisses, GreenFaerieDust(tm) and a small vial of Belladonna. Life is good.
GreenWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 02:22 PM   #20
HorseTechie
Inactive Moderator
 
HorseTechie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,677
Unga...bunga?
HorseTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.