The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2006, 02:18 PM   #1
AquaParade
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,450
Archie comics Overview

I've always noticed a lot of talk about the archies tmnt comics around the board. I never really got exposed to them aside from a few cyber samurai issues and such. They seem to be well liked and respected by a lot of fans. What is it everybody likes about them so much?
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 02:31 PM   #2
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,295
I like that it took the old toon origin and tone from season 1 and went in their own direction. It stayed along the lines of the first season of TMNT: a fairly even mix of Action, humor, and story. The Archie comic showed the Turtles growing, had Splinter as an active member of the team in many fights, and had strong stories and a very well kept continuity. Heck, as I've been show recently they even explain why Baxter was gone after the comics straied from the OT storyline and created it's own. Archie created a cast of secondary characters that lasted the test of time. The Mutanimals were a wonderful addition to the Archie universe and their death was a very emotional scene. The character of Slash was also very well portraied, eventually becoming a Mutanimal and then eventually sacrificing himself to save the TMNT present and future. I will always love Archie because if it's use of time travel and the future TMNT. All I can really say is that it's storytelling is what makes me love the Archie series.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 02:46 PM   #3
Space Lieutenant Josh
Hench Mutant
 
Space Lieutenant Josh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Village of Rock'n Kick-Ass
Posts: 492
I'm not much of a fan of the Archie series. I read the whole thing about a year ago and I felt that some of it was very good and some was very bad. A lot of it was too eco-preachy for my tastes. All of the stories involving Shredder were great, though.

Seems like there were a lot of characters who were introduced once and never came back, like the guy who mutated with the television for some reason (not that I'm complaining-- not having him return was probably a blessing). Tatoo was finally reintroduced at the very end, and of course there were the Mutanimals, who showed up constantly, but everyone else kinda came up briefly and left.

I didn't like the Mutanimals' death too much, either... they were just gunned down, all at once, like it was nothing. The Ninjara/Raph relationship also-- although I found it to be kind of weird (especially that really awkward kiss in the Moon Eyes Saga)-- seemed like it ended kinda quick and out of nowhere.

On the other hand, as I said, all the Shredder stories are fantastic, as are the ones involving the Future Turtles. I also really liked what happened with Rocksteady and Bebop-- they kinda grew as people at the end... it was shown that they didn't have evil hearts.
Space Lieutenant Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:49 PM   #4
Damien Kash
Foot Soldier
 
Damien Kash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Norway
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
I will always love Archie because if it's use of time travel and the future TMNT. All I can really say is that it's storytelling is what makes me love the Archie series.
Thanks Jester
you reminded me why i'm hooked on tmnt in the first place
The Archie series got so cool,more dark and even more violent
And great characters....like Slash,Ninjara and leatherhead(a wrestler?in space?)...even Bebop and Rocksteady where cooler in the comics(smarter too)..continuing stories from the toon..

A great wild ride!

I could go on and on...but now i want to read my collection again
Damien Kash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 05:36 PM   #5
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!
 
VaughnMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 11,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
I like that it took the old toon origin and tone from season 1 and went in their own direction. It stayed along the lines of the first season of TMNT: a fairly even mix of Action, humor, and story. The Archie comic showed the Turtles growing, had Splinter as an active member of the team in many fights, and had strong stories and a very well kept continuity. Heck, as I've been show recently they even explain why Baxter was gone after the comics straied from the OT storyline and created it's own. Archie created a cast of secondary characters that lasted the test of time. The Mutanimals were a wonderful addition to the Archie universe and their death was a very emotional scene. The character of Slash was also very well portraied, eventually becoming a Mutanimal and then eventually sacrificing himself to save the TMNT present and future. I will always love Archie because if it's use of time travel and the future TMNT. All I can really say is that it's storytelling is what makes me love the Archie series.
exactly the reasons I like it pluss the art style.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 09:05 PM   #6
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,295
That's my one draw back too Josh. The fact that it was essentially TMNT meets Captain Planet. I mean they even "met" the Conservation Corps....BLECH!
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 09:36 PM   #7
Silent FOx
Foot Soldier
 
Silent FOx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 212
I remember reading those as a kid, I might start collecting them again.
__________________

Silent FOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 01:07 AM   #8
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!
 
VaughnMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 11,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
That's my one draw back too Josh. The fact that it was essentially TMNT meets Captain Planet. I mean they even "met" the Conservation Corps....BLECH!
I hardly blame the comics for all that..if you think about the time period it was all over everything. Pluss from what I remember it was Kevin Eastmans idea to be all preachy about the earth like that. oh well..it's in the past now..
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 12:18 PM   #9
verminator_x
Hench Mutant
 
verminator_x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: oslo-norway
Posts: 457
The future storys with Armaggon and Verminator X was always my favorite as a child. The plot where the present turtles meet up with their future and older version of them self is great.
__________________
Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun.
Shine on you crazy diamond.
Now theres a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky.
Shine on you crazy diamond.


verminator_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.