The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2006, 01:33 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,791
Is anyone else tired of the political rants in Volume 4 and Tales?

Not that I get offended or anything, because I don't have a side either way, but it seems like those letters are ALL they print nowadays.

Especially in Tales #24, it was just another letter about politics and religion after another.

Is anyone else bored to tears of this nonsense? These people really gotta stop writing in letters about politics as much as Laird/Murphy need to shut up about it.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 01:47 PM   #2
DrSpengler
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,842
I honestly don't get why people bother sending in pointlessly argumentative letters to a comic book letters column.

The writer will just rip your letter apart and he will always, ALWAYS getthe last word (even if you bother sending a rebuttle, it's not like he has to print it).

An exercise in futility, if you ask me.

And yes, they are getting annoying.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 02:41 PM   #3
ThemanthatwouldbeRaphael
Banned
 
ThemanthatwouldbeRaphael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Seventh Layer of Hell
Posts: 1,929
Honestly, I don't notice them, and frankly, I don't care. As long as the book itself is good thats all that matters.
ThemanthatwouldbeRaphael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 03:09 PM   #4
OldSchooler
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 163
You can't exactly blame Laird or Murphy, it's the people writing these letters in that keep inciting the debates. I actually enjoy reading them, maybe because I'm Australian and fairly dettached from American political matters. I would like to see more Turtle-centric letters or questions for insight into what's coming up, but I do enjoy hearing political/social opinions of those I look up to.
OldSchooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 06:19 PM   #5
Cascadia
Oregonian in heart & soul
 
Cascadia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 3,731
yes, I am tired of the political letters at the end of the comics. I do not think that it is a place to write this type of letters.
__________________

Formally known as Scientific freak
Cascadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 08:21 PM   #6
OldSchooler
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 163
In all honesty; I'd rather read the letters in turtles than half the letters i see in Marvel that are answered by characters or just give out the same old banter we see on all the websites.
OldSchooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 11:58 AM   #7
xZAOx
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: TN
Posts: 842
Yes. Sick to death of them.

I know it's "his place" where he can write what he wants - that's fine. But by the same token, this our place to voice our opinions. And my opinion is "who cares?".

I'd much rather the space be used for answering turtle-related questions, or comments/news on turtle-related items (such as The Forever War, or the new movie, etc). Or pinpus
xZAOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 12:50 PM   #8
Spitfire
Writer • Director
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,035
I never read it so I don't give a crap. If you don't like something don't read it. Quite simple. It's not like if you skip it your missing TMNT story points.
__________________
Check out my online portfolio
http://www.christopherpelletier.com/
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 12:59 PM   #9
blue_angel99
Hench Mutant
 
blue_angel99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 382
I agree. I think it all started when someone commented about issue #14 where Leo held a coin with Al Gore's face on it that the mysterious, genderless warrior was wearing. (Leo reaction to "it" still cracks me up. "He-- appears to be missing something...was that damage from the fight...? and Karai says "No...and your choice or pronouns, while convienient for the purpose or our discussion is not totally appopriate." ) Anyway, the letters sent to Mr. Laird should express question/comments/concerns about TMNT not rants about the President and the war. If those dudes want to talk politics, they should write to Pat O' Riley.
__________________

Last edited by blue_angel99; 07-28-2006 at 01:17 PM.
blue_angel99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 06:25 PM   #10
OA
Scatter the nuns!!
 
OA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,981
I don't really care one way or another...i just find it interesting that people sit down and take the time to write that crap and that Laird actually responds back in kind...
__________________
OA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 09:24 PM   #11
KROW
Meat-n-Potatoes Man
 
KROW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: State's Anus, NY
Posts: 6,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire666xXxXx
I never read it so I don't give a crap. If you don't like something don't read it. Quite simple. It's not like if you skip it your missing TMNT story points.
True, but, isn't that the whole point? I mean, in a comic book, you get to the end and expect fans to write asking about the meaning of certain plot points or any hints for later issues or character development, not to peruse through some person's opinion on the political climate of America.

Yet, once people got wind of Laird's view, they just have to chime in with their two cents. It's a double-edged sword, though; Laird doesn't have to print those letters there (quite frankly, he shouldn't) but he does anyway. The reason why is probably to try to get said person to understand what he means. But, as it is, it seems fruitless.

I think Laird should stop printing those letters, maybe then people will stop sending those types to him.
__________________

- Optimus Acid Trip - Cult of a Half-Shell - Raiden's Bitter Tongue -
I don't try to be funny; I fail at it naturally.
KROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 09:39 PM   #12
Spitfire
Writer • Director
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,035
I know what you mean but if you can tell it's going to be another rant then why not just avoid it? I know that space is being used up or whatever but if you ever have a TMNT question you want answered you can ask Dan and 90% of the time he knows and if he doesn't he asks someone who works there for you.
__________________
Check out my online portfolio
http://www.christopherpelletier.com/
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 09:54 PM   #13
KROW
Meat-n-Potatoes Man
 
KROW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: State's Anus, NY
Posts: 6,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire666xXxXx
I know what you mean but if you can tell it's going to be another rant then why not just avoid it? I know that space is being used up or whatever but if you ever have a TMNT question you want answered you can ask Dan and 90% of the time he knows and if he doesn't he asks someone who works there for you.
Also true. Whenever I read a letter and it turns into one of those political yammerings, I just go on to the next one or skim the letter looking for any semblance of asking about the actual book. Most of the time, there's nothing.

I do indeed avoid them. Hell, it's not a concern of mine, anyway; it's Laird's, heh.
__________________

- Optimus Acid Trip - Cult of a Half-Shell - Raiden's Bitter Tongue -
I don't try to be funny; I fail at it naturally.
KROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 09:20 AM   #14
rayfillet101
Mad Scientist
 
rayfillet101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,454
Im at the point now where I read the bold only and if it says anything about TMNT I will read the letter.
__________________

"When you scream my name, pleading for the pain to stop, you may call me...Bishop."
rayfillet101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 12:39 PM   #15
bloodbath666
Random Punk
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 24
Actually in all the time I've been buying the series, I've never actually read any of the letters. I think I read some in issue 1 and that's it. I gotta see some of this stuff .

BTW- Spitefire your sig is badass, hitman rules, I wanna get blood money pretty soon, looks like a kickass game.
bloodbath666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 04:41 PM   #16
xZAOx
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: TN
Posts: 842
Well, by not reading them, you're not missing much. The first issues all had letters about how much Lawson's people-drawing sucks these days. And now thats over with, so it's about how stupid those one-person scooters are and politics.
xZAOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 09:21 PM   #17
OA
Scatter the nuns!!
 
OA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,981
Yea I agree...i find the Tales letter much more enjoyable...
__________________
OA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:44 AM   #18
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 22,381
Being a stern critic of the Republican party, I relish every moment that Pete tears into them and any who support them, it does'nt get tiring, it actually gives the letters section (itself no stranger to Laird insulting people anyway regardless of questions about politics, Lawson's art, or the story) some appeal and an identity of it's own
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.