The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2007, 05:52 PM   #1
CCRunner524
New Recruit
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3
Comic Questions

Im kind of new to the TMNT comics, i've always loved TMNT and comics but never read any TMNT comics. So i have some newb questions if you guys dont mind... Why are they black and white? Which Series corresponds to the 2k3 cartoon? Which series are the best in terms in artwork and/or storylines?
CCRunner524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 07:02 PM   #2
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai
 
Ecto Jedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,439
I'm no expert when it comes to TMNT comics, but I'll do my best to answer a few of your questions (only the ones I can, of course.) First off, the monochrome colouring is a tradition that dates back to the very first Ninja Turtles comic, a low-budget issue released way back in '84. All the issues from Mirage's first run (Mirage being the company Peter Laird and Kevin Eastman founded in order to print the TMNT comics) were black and white, as were all the Tales of the TMNT Volume 1.

As for which series corresponds to the 2k3 toon, I believe that was Dreamwave's short-lived TMNT series. And since I haven't read all the comic books, I can't really point out which is the best in terms of quality artwork and storylines, but you can never go wrong with Mirage's original run. Those are the issues that introduced the world to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and formed the backbone of the franchise for years to come. Truly monumental stuff.

Check out the official Ninja Turtle site for a detailed guide to all the comics, Mirage, Dreamwave and Archie included.
Ecto Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 11:25 PM   #3
Mr._Mutant_Man
Mad Scientist
 
Mr._Mutant_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,340
Well, best artwork is a matter of taste. Some days I prefer the look they managed to pull off in Mirage black and white, sometimes I'm nostalgic for the colorful Archie comic.

I always assumed the reason Mirage was in black and white was the same reason why Marvel comics Essentials are in black and white: it's cheaper. Funny thing is, according to Mirage their masks are all red, but you would only know it from the covers.
Mr._Mutant_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.