The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2007, 08:40 PM   #1
Mr._Mutant_Man
Mad Scientist
 
Mr._Mutant_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,340
The Pizza Thing

I'm wondering, when did the pizza obsession thing enter the Turtle's lore? I don't remember them being preoccupied with pizza so much from the Mirage comics I've read. Was it just something the cartoon writers thought would be cute? Was the reasoning for it ever explained? It ended up leading to a lot of product placement (Dominos in the movie, Pizza Hut in the video game).
Mr._Mutant_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 08:47 PM   #2
shuriken
Second City Shinobi
 
shuriken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chi-town
Posts: 4,182
It was mostly for the cartoon. There was pizza in the comics but the obsession was probably the writers for the show.
__________________
Some things are better left unsaid. This isn't one of them
shuriken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 11:34 PM   #3
DonatelloDomeHead31
Stone Warrior
 
DonatelloDomeHead31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Helping Casey Jones fix the Pick-Up Truck
Posts: 878
isn't it true that teenagers love pizza?
__________________

Donatello: Pork rind.
Donatello: Yeah, a few inquiries.
Donatello: Turtles don't migrate, Raph. Birds do!
Donatello: Have you seen the way this guy drives?
Donatello: 0.00000003%!
Donatello: I don't know, but it doesn't look good...
DonatelloDomeHead31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:53 AM   #4
Spitfire
Writer • Director
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,035
Well it's a spoof of the generation. Back in the 80's pizza eating teenagers were very very common.

But to answer your question it's in the comics as much as the cartoon. Hell there's even a special called "The Haunted Pizza"
__________________
Check out my online portfolio
http://www.christopherpelletier.com/
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:13 AM   #5
Scandia
Mad Scientist
 
Scandia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,265
Whoever says pizza is not in the new toon, is incorrect.

- "Attack of the Mousers" has the Toddler Turtles eating pizza. And they even say out loud how thrilled they are about the pizza. "Pizza, dude!" "Awesome!".
- "The Lesson" has the Toddler Turtles eating pizza in various scenes.

And I'm pretty sure there are more.
__________________


Turtles fight with honor!!!
Scandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:26 AM   #6
General Traag
Foot Soldier
 
General Traag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Technodrome Mark III, Dimension X
Posts: 174
I still feel totally badass when eating a pizza nowadays.
__________________
-
General Traag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:24 AM   #7
triplexxx
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandia View Post
Whoever says pizza is not in the new toon, is incorrect.

- "Attack of the Mousers" has the Toddler Turtles eating pizza. And they even say out loud how thrilled they are about the pizza. "Pizza, dude!" "Awesome!".
- "The Lesson" has the Toddler Turtles eating pizza in various scenes.

And I'm pretty sure there are more.
There was also the a couple random scenes in Nano & I believe SSB2 where pizza boxes where strewn on April's floor while the turtles were staying there, and on several random occassions, I've seen the same in the lair's TV room.
__________________
Please don't shoot me Mr. Big Mike. I'm too young and good-looking to die, well too young. I got a father, I got a mother, I got a grandmother, I got a little sister...and a little brother this high (raises hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand), and little brother this high (lowers hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand) and then I got a great big brother this high (slaps gun and runs).
"Fright Night" - Three Stooges
triplexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:38 AM   #8
Seurat
Foot Soldier
 
Seurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire666xXxXx View Post
Well it's a spoof of the generation. Back in the 80's pizza eating teenagers were very very common.

But to answer your question it's in the comics as much as the cartoon. Hell there's even a special called "The Haunted Pizza"
Heh heh, I have that comic. HOWEVER, it's from the "Tales of the TMNT" series, rather than from the official Mirage series. So whether this story is considered "canon" is debatable. Regrettably, I don't know any official Turtle comics that involve much pizza-eating, as I'd been more heavily into the toon than the comics as a youngster. I only have the Volume Four comics and a few Archie comics.

However, there's still one pizza reference left unmentioned regarding the New Toon (Although it might be a stretch). The video games based on the new cartoon (Or at least the first of them, as that's the only New Toon turtle game I have) feature Pizza as the biggest health power-up, giving your turtle (Or other unlocked character) a full health bar.
__________________
Don: The perimeter's quiet.
Leo: Yeah, a little too quiet.

Don: Well that was easy.
Leo: Yeah, a little too easy.

Don: Look! It's Raph!
Mike: Yeah, a little too Raph!


Seurat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:44 AM   #9
Drtooth
Foot Elite
 
Drtooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandia View Post
Whoever says pizza is not in the new toon, is incorrect.

- "Attack of the Mousers" has the Toddler Turtles eating pizza. And they even say out loud how thrilled they are about the pizza. "Pizza, dude!" "Awesome!".
- "The Lesson" has the Toddler Turtles eating pizza in various scenes.

And I'm pretty sure there are more.
Also in the Mousers episode, Donatello refered to the Mousers as tearing through Concrete "Faster than Mikey can tear through a Pizza."

I like the Pizza and all, but the scene where the Turtles are eating Chinese food just really spoke to me.
__________________
[Insert mildly amusing banner here]
Drtooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:05 AM   #10
Scandia
Mad Scientist
 
Scandia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,265
I have heard in more than one place that Chinese Food is what husbands bring their wives in order to get out of the doghouse. Why is this, I do not know. I do not care for Chinese food at all.

Maybe he brought Chinese food to his family to show that he has been healed and to apologize for all the pain he gave them.

Maybe I am reading too deep into this.
__________________


Turtles fight with honor!!!
Scandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 12:34 PM   #11
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic
 
BubblyShell22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 16,912
I also thought I heard Leo mention pizza in the new toon ep "Darkness on the Edge of Town." He said, "Keep that flame away from Mikey. He had a chili pizza for breakfast."

And maybe you are reading too deeply into it, Scandia. I think Leo just brought them food because he wanted to. I think him giving Splinter the walking stick was more of a sign of apology.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 01:42 PM   #12
Drtooth
Foot Elite
 
Drtooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandia View Post

Maybe he brought Chinese food to his family to show that he has been healed and to apologize for all the pain he gave them.
It wasn't like that. I forget which episode, but they're at April's House eating Chinese food, and Mikey does some weird gag saying he can disappear, and he just hides behind the box and says "Now you see me, now you don't "or something.
__________________
[Insert mildly amusing banner here]
Drtooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:07 PM   #13
Scandia
Mad Scientist
 
Scandia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,265
Oh yeah. The walking stick was a big apology present.

I even did a major analysis of the gesture Leo did as Splinter thanked him for the present and welcomed him home.

Beautiful scene. Awesome episode. TMNT rocks.
__________________


Turtles fight with honor!!!
Scandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:10 PM   #14
fastforwarddregg
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuriken View Post
It was mostly for the cartoon. There was pizza in the comics but the obsession was probably the writers for the show.
Michelangelo made many many many pizza jokes in so many episodes and even a few episodes revolved around pizza. SEason 3 had so many. They had so many things for pizza topping and even had that for breakfast. IN RED SKY: Pizza got phased out!!!!! And then New Turtle Series in 2003 THERE WAS HARDLY ANY pizza. THe movies had the pizza obession.
fastforwarddregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:11 PM   #15
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandia View Post
Whoever says pizza is not in the new toon, is incorrect.

- "Attack of the Mousers" has the Toddler Turtles eating pizza. And they even say out loud how thrilled they are about the pizza. "Pizza, dude!" "Awesome!".
- "The Lesson" has the Toddler Turtles eating pizza in various scenes.

And I'm pretty sure there are more.
In "Nano" the Turtles are passed out with pizza all over the place.

In "Darkness on the Edge of Town" Michelangelo has apparently eaten a "Whole chilli pizza for dinner"

In "The Shredder Strikes" Mikey thinks Saki and Leo are talking about deep dish pizza.

In "The Way of Invisibility" Casey and Mike enjoy a few slices.

There's more, just a few off the top of my head.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:30 PM   #16
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic
 
BubblyShell22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 16,912
Yeah, I remember Mikey's pizza comment in Shredder Strikes. There are pizza references in the new toon, but they're not as common as they were in the old toon.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:52 PM   #17
fastforwarddregg
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 View Post
Yeah, I remember Mikey's pizza comment in Shredder Strikes. There are pizza references in the new toon, but they're not as common as they were in the old toon.

I ment to say that pizza was used so little in the no cartoon. soo little.
fastforwarddregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:23 PM   #18
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic
 
BubblyShell22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 16,912
Oh, I didn't know that's what you meant by the thread.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:17 PM   #19
METALHEAD
Stone Warrior
 
METALHEAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: san benito texas
Posts: 734
pizza was big man, b-i-g! when i was a kid iw ouldnt eat food, my bro intrduced me into pizza...i dunno if i liked it i was very picky my brother would do the california/michealangalo voice and say 'scarf down your pizza duuuude comon and eat yer pizza duuuuude dontcha wanna be like us turtles duuuuuude?" XD my bro was doing the voice in the hall way one night and told me that story abou i wouldnt eat my food so he would talk like mikey to encourge me...oddly folks, my name is mikey! my nick name. real name's miguel.
METALHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:00 PM   #20
Sage Ninja
Band of the Hawk
 
Sage Ninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 3,926
thats very cute Miguel what a nice older brother you have to encourage you like that. I used to hate pizza when I was a very small kid. I thought it looked gross so I never wanted to eat it, and the fact that the pizza on the ninja turtles always looked drippy and clumpy made the the gross factor even worse. But I eventually started to like it which was good. You don't know how much of a freak other kids treated me as because I didn't like pizza
__________________

Cassandra: You won't fight me, but will you fight--for him!

Cassandra's Revenge

~Tangled the Series
________________________________
http://frankviola.org/2012/01/30/godsviewofawoman/
_______________________________
http://nox-artemis.tumblr.com/post/4...k-and-feminism
Sage Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.