The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2007, 07:29 PM   #1
Spitfire
Writer • Director
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,035
Never Re-Ran

Does this baffle anyone else? This series was mega popular for years, on for almost a decade and the series was never re-ran after it ended. They re-run The Tick, Spider-man, X-men, Batman Beyond...all kinds of old animated series from back in the day but turtles, a series that was a landmark for a generation of kids, is never re-run. Really a shame, you can ask anyone who grew up in the 90's if they watched turtles and 9/10 will say yes, hell I've never gotten a no.

Just odd to me, maybe a copyright issue, anyone know why?
__________________
Check out my online portfolio
http://www.christopherpelletier.com/
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:37 PM   #2
Serp
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 362
I to have always wonderd why the 90's TMNT never had been put back on in reruns.

When I was a bit younger and I started watching Cartoon network around 1995 or so. I had always assumed that 90' TMNT would be put on. It never happened.

My speculation now is that there are some legal issues preventing 90's TMNT from coming on either that or there is no desire from any television networks to pay to show it or how ever that works.
Serp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:39 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,814
Yeah, since CBS cancelled it back in '96...the original cartoon never re-appeared on any other channel, did it?

Thank god we have the DVDs. Hopefully we'll be getting news on Season 6 shortly.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:42 PM   #4
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,113
USA reran the series quite extensively for awhile, and it was only there that the European Vacation episodes aired in the US.

I would expect it's just an issue of a channel deciding it's worth spending the money to acquire.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:44 PM   #5
Rooish
Devil's Advocate
 
Rooish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 2,130
With all the new TMNT stuff, maybe a channel could make a profit now.
__________________


Thanks evan2000 for the sig!
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:58 PM   #6
Spitfire
Writer • Director
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,035
They wouldn't now. It would "confuse" kids to have two turtles shows going on at once. And the rating might dwarf the new series
__________________
Check out my online portfolio
http://www.christopherpelletier.com/
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:17 PM   #7
MrPliggins
Foot Elite
 
MrPliggins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire666xXxXx View Post
They wouldn't now. It would "confuse" kids to have two turtles shows going on at once. And the rating might dwarf the new series
I don't think that is the case. A separate channel airing it wouldn't care about the differences. They aired 60s Batman at the same time as Batman the Animated Series. They also reran 90s Spider-man at the same time as Amazing Friends.

The ratings, yeah, might be better, as it'd probably be aired more (like 5 days a week as opposed to one).
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:34 PM   #8
Magneto
Foot Soldier
 
Magneto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Marvel Universe
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
USA reran the series quite extensively for awhile, and it was only there that the European Vacation episodes aired in the US.

I would expect it's just an issue of a channel deciding it's worth spending the money to acquire.
Was this after TMNT's run on CBS ended though? Because if memory serves me correctly, I believe USA re-ran episodes while the show was being aired on sat mornings on CBS, and quickly disappeared from USA's lineup following the end of the CBS run ...
__________________
Magneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:35 PM   #9
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
I think you nailed it in your first post Spits, copyright and other legal issues are probably what keeps re-runs of TMNT off the TV
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 12:48 AM   #10
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Incredible Hulk View Post
Was this after TMNT's run on CBS ended though? Because if memory serves me correctly, I believe USA re-ran episodes while the show was being aired on sat mornings on CBS, and quickly disappeared from USA's lineup following the end of the CBS run ...
It did start airing on USA before the show left CBS, but its eventual disappearance from USA's lineup had nothing to do with it disappearing from CBS. I do not recall exactly when it disappeared (although I know they kept it running sporadically for awhile), but TMNT stuff was disappearing everywhere by 1996-97.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:23 AM   #11
gobo
Wacky Action
 
gobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: on Earth
Posts: 12,784
Honestly, I always figured this was in large part Laird trying to hide the bruises on his ego. Plus, yeah, you don't want to have to compete with yourself. So, maybe it'll happen after 4Kids' series runs out of steam.
__________________
Live and let live... or go to hell.

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:28 AM   #12
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobo View Post
Honestly, I always figured this was in large part Laird trying to hide the bruises on his ego. Plus, yeah, you don't want to have to compete with yourself. So, maybe it'll happen after 4Kids' series runs out of steam.
Mirage actually has no control over who owns the rights to the show and they can't tell the people who do own rights what they can and can't do with it. It's just unfortunately stuck in TV limbo.. we should be happy enough that it's on DVD.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:15 AM   #13
gobo
Wacky Action
 
gobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: on Earth
Posts: 12,784
I very much am. ^_^
__________________
Live and let live... or go to hell.

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:15 AM   #14
Scandia
Mad Scientist
 
Scandia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,265
TWO different Ghostbusters cartoons aired simultaneously when I was in upper elementary school or so. I did not confuse them. Apparently one of them featured Ghostbusters from the future, while the other one involved the 4 well known ones from the movies.

Hence I do not think that people will confuse two Turtles cartoons. Especially with their very different animation styles.
__________________


Turtles fight with honor!!!
Scandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:22 AM   #15
Jon
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandia View Post
TWO different Ghostbusters cartoons aired simultaneously when I was in upper elementary school or so. I did not confuse them. Apparently one of them featured Ghostbusters from the future, while the other one involved the 4 well known ones from the movies.

Hence I do not think that people will confuse two Turtles cartoons. Especially with their very different animation styles.

Yep. Filmation's Ghostbusters (based on a live-action series from the '70s), and Real Ghostbusters (based on the Ghostbusters Movies).

Infact, Filmation's Ghostbusters (both the live-action series, and the animated one) has been (completely) put out on DVD.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:43 AM   #16
Spitfire
Writer • Director
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,035
lol you guys need to look past the words a little. Remember when Playmates said the baby turtles show would be bad because the kids would be confused there's two sets of turtles...it was a joke.
__________________
Check out my online portfolio
http://www.christopherpelletier.com/
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:23 AM   #17
syd
Stone Warrior
 
syd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 596
because......they are playing hard to get man!oh God i hate this thing...
__________________

"Never mind! I just broke out."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewer Bull View Post
glad to have you back.
syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:40 AM   #18
Drtooth
Foot Elite
 
Drtooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,439
Where are they going to rerun it? Syndication doesn't deal with cartoons anymore. Local broadcasters won't touch it. The big cable networks want new programs. Smaller cable channels don't do cartoons anymore either.

If you ask me, there's no where to put it.
__________________
[Insert mildly amusing banner here]
Drtooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:58 PM   #19
Magneto
Foot Soldier
 
Magneto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Marvel Universe
Posts: 173
Yeah, after about a 10 year hiatus, I cant say I see anything changing anytime soon. Unfortunately.
__________________
Magneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 04:14 PM   #20
Spitfire
Writer • Director
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,035
I never said they should I'm just surprised they never did. And Jetix would have worked, if that's even still around. They had a whole block of 90's cartoons back just even a year ago.
__________________
Check out my online portfolio
http://www.christopherpelletier.com/
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.