The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2008, 03:01 AM   #1
Fugitoid Jones
Stone Warrior
 
Fugitoid Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: D'hoonib, VT
Posts: 886
Red Sky Intro...

What was up with them adding shots from the first live action movie into the intro for the red sky seasons? The first movie came out in 1990, and the red sky seasons started around 94 if I'm not mistaken, so why did it take them around 4 years to add shots from the live action movie? And by that time, the other 2 movies had come out, so why didn't they add shots from the other 2 movies as well? And I guess most importantly, why did they bother adding shots from the first movie? It's not like that movie took place in the same universe as the toon 'verse.

Anybody got any insight into this kinda strange intro, or am I just bored at work and thinking about this too much?
__________________

"You are right, I have always known about man. From the evidence, I believe his wisdom must walk hand and hand with his idiocy. His emotions must rule his brain. He must be a warlike creature who gives battle to everything around him, even himself."
-Dr. Zaius
Fugitoid Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:22 AM   #2
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!
 
VaughnMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 11,833
Well right ater Red Sky came Next Mutation, but that's besides the point.
If I remember correctly they where orig. talking about having the cbs show being changed to live action, but that's before it got the axe, because it wasn't educational enough.
I really don't know why they added them, I guess to show that the series was heading towards the darker comic book roots or more like the first movie.
I'm not complaining though I love that intro.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:04 AM   #3
gobo
Wacky Action
 
gobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: on Earth
Posts: 12,784
I always thought that was a last ditch effort at making the cartoon seem hardcore. I thought it was lame back then too. But, I don't recall any scenes from the second movie in there. Could you point 'em out for me?
__________________
Live and let live... or go to hell.

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:56 AM   #4
Kendamu
Sewerhead
 
Kendamu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,890
I was around 10 or 11 years old when Red Sky started (depends on the month). When I saw stuff from the first movie in the intro I didn't necessarily think it was really cool, but I was excited because of the message they were trying to relay: "Hey, we're trying to be more like the first couple seasons and the first movie!"

They delivered, too. "Get Shredder" was a great episode. Everything about it was almost exactly what I was looking for with the Turtles at the time. The only things I could think to make better would be giving Mikey his 'chucks and to make Bebop and Rocksteady really strong and difficult to deal with like the Turtles' first encounter with them.
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:43 AM   #5
gobo
Wacky Action
 
gobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: on Earth
Posts: 12,784
Mikey had his 'chucks in Red Sky.
__________________
Live and let live... or go to hell.

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:10 AM   #6
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!
 
VaughnMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 11,833
And bebop and rocksteady where indeed more difficult to deal with again.
Until that plant monster ate the technodrome in the episode Turtle Trek
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:29 AM   #7
Kendamu
Sewerhead
 
Kendamu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,890
Quote:
Mikey had his 'chucks in Red Sky.
I distinctly remember him having his rope in Red Sky, but I hope you're right. Rope is lame.

Quote:
And bebop and rocksteady where indeed more difficult to deal with again.
Well, yeah, they were more difficult... but still... when a Turtle can singlehanded lift one of them (Rocksteady, I think) over his head, spin him, and throw him you know it's still a little too easy. I'm talking more about the "In a few more hours they'll barely be able to throw a car at us!" type of Bebop and Rocksteady.
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:35 AM   #8
Drtooth
Foot Elite
 
Drtooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,439
Thing I hate most about Red Sky's opening? the lack of original animation. Nothing interresting about it at all. And the splicing in movie clips makes no sense whatsoever. I don't hate the theme song, I just think it sounds better without the lyrics.
__________________
[Insert mildly amusing banner here]
Drtooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:35 PM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,809
I really wish Red sky got more episodes. I would have liked to see what they would do after they finally defeated Dregg. Would have been nice to see some old villains for one last hurrah.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:26 PM   #10
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!
 
VaughnMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 11,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I really wish Red sky got more episodes. I would have liked to see what they would do after they finally defeated Dregg. Would have been nice to see some old villains for one last hurrah.
That's exactly how I feel, or wish they had done all of that before getting to Dregg, like the turtles finally finished everything and just when they think it's all done this Dregg character comes in.
I think it would have been a hell of allot better that way.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:47 PM   #11
Drtooth
Foot Elite
 
Drtooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I really wish Red sky got more episodes. I would have liked to see what they would do after they finally defeated Dregg. Would have been nice to see some old villains for one last hurrah.
the 2 things I dislike about Red Sky are Rob Paulsen not playing Raph and the fact the series was all about Dregg at that time. I almost wish it was on one last season, where it absorbed more comic book based villains.
__________________
[Insert mildly amusing banner here]
Drtooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:13 PM   #12
thebrownranger
Stone Warrior
 
thebrownranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 782
The third intro is definitely my favorite tmnt intro of all time. I just love how they incorporated the first live action movie clips into the intro with a better and darker theme song. The turtles even looked a hundred times cooler than they previously did. My favorite part is when they go into "When the evil Shredder attacks.." And yes, this intro matches how the show got darker in tone over time which I appreciate very much.
__________________
https://www.instagram.com/allenjac0b/
WANTED:
A.C. Farley Leonardo Bust (bronze & unpainted)
Playmates TMNT statues- Donatello, Michelangelo
thebrownranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:07 PM   #13
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,684
Eh... I thought it was kinda lame... especially since the TMNT were doing real ninja moves in the movie clips compared to the lame-ass fighting in the actual show.

I dunno... maybe the tone did get more serious, after all, Shredder blew up the Channel 6building and the turtles really flipped out when they thought April and Irma were dead. I just KNOW Leo wished the censors were gone when all he could say to Shredder after that was 'you misrerable maggot'.

But still... it was nowhere near real serious Batman/X-Men style action (the 2 big action comic book cartoons at the time). They still did lame things like tying up the bad guys and dropping curtains on them, and they still fought all sorts of overly and goofy-looking cartoony alien monsters and stuff.
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:15 PM   #14
Fugitoid Jones
Stone Warrior
 
Fugitoid Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: D'hoonib, VT
Posts: 886
Quote:
They still did lame things like tying up the bad guys and dropping curtains on them, and they still fought all sorts of overly and goofy-looking cartoony alien monsters and stuff.
Yeah, I was just thinking about that. The other day I watched one of the unaired Red Sky episodes from the first season DVD, I think the episode was called "Mobsters from Dimension X", and the villian was the Globfather. It was strange to see such a cartoony villian in contrast to the darker looking Turtles.

I think they could've left out the live action shots from the intro. It would've been better if they had incorporated some original animation instead. As much as I love the first movie, cutting in shots from it for the show just kinda seems lazy.
__________________

"You are right, I have always known about man. From the evidence, I believe his wisdom must walk hand and hand with his idiocy. His emotions must rule his brain. He must be a warlike creature who gives battle to everything around him, even himself."
-Dr. Zaius
Fugitoid Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:32 PM   #15
Kendamu
Sewerhead
 
Kendamu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,890
For some reason the first volume OT DVD's bonus episodes didn't include the good Red Sky episodes.
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:48 PM   #16
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!
 
VaughnMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 11,833
Speaking of Red sky I hope they release the entire Redsky series in a box set.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:10 AM   #17
Kendamu
Sewerhead
 
Kendamu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,890
Wouldn't be too hard. It's not like there was 60 episodes or something.

I'd just like to actually get that far. But, we have to get through Season 6 before it starts getting pretty decent again.
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:39 PM   #18
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goongasnootch View Post
For some reason the first volume OT DVD's bonus episodes didn't include the good Red Sky episodes.

I don't think they had any real good episodes.... Even the episode when they got rid of the Shredder for the last time was basically them trying to avoid him blasting them with a cannon of some sort. No big final fight with the Shredder, Bebeop and Rocksteady. Hell, where were they for the second part of that episode???

Dregg was lame, and even though the turtles stopped saying jokes every 5 seconds like the older episodes... the jokes they used when they were trying to be funny were just lame and annoying.
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:54 PM   #19
Kendamu
Sewerhead
 
Kendamu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I don't think they had any real good episodes.... Even the episode when they got rid of the Shredder for the last time was basically them trying to avoid him blasting them with a cannon of some sort. No big final fight with the Shredder, Bebeop and Rocksteady. Hell, where were they for the second part of that episode???

Dregg was lame, and even though the turtles stopped saying jokes every 5 seconds like the older episodes... the jokes they used when they were trying to be funny were just lame and annoying.
I disagree. They could've put half of Season 8 on there and it would've been a lot better than what we got on that DVD.
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:48 PM   #20
Raph The Angry
Thug
 
Raph The Angry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Sewers of Iowa
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goongasnootch View Post
For some reason the first volume OT DVD's bonus episodes didn't include the good Red Sky episodes.
The episodes included on the dvd were supposed to never have been aired or seen before, and it isnt really hard to see why
__________________
Raph The Angry is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.