The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2008, 11:44 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,415
Michelangelo: The Third Kind #1

Got it, read it, liked it. Gets into more of the what-was-going-on-when-the-Utroms-first-landed stuff.

Like the Raphael mini, though, it seems like it's a TMNT story that just happens to involve Michelangelo in some way... it's not really "About" him at all. Which is odd.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:05 AM   #2
Ninjinister
無問題
 
Ninjinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moesko Island, WA
Posts: 14,348
It's because there's no way they'd be able to write an engaging and worthwhile story for each of the four turtles that is actually ABOUT them! They could never, ever do that!


Oh wait....
__________________
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:28 AM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,415
Eric Talbot on inks really manages to do worlds with Lawson's pencils here in places (at least noticeably on Michelangelo). Check Page 18.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:34 AM   #4
DrSpengler
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,842
They crammed a LOT of stories into the 6 month gap in TMNT Vol. 4 #5, which has really bugged me. But of them all, THIS one seems the most worthwhile and necessary.

I enjoyed it and look forward to seeing where it goes much more than the Raphael mini, which was horrendously ho-hum.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:59 AM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,805
^ Same. The Raphael mini-series was ridiculous and a complete waste of time.

I actually didn't mind Tales #7 all that much, but the 4-parter that continued from that was so bad I can't believe Peter actually approved the script.

I enjoyed the Leonardo mini-series and I haven't read this yet, but I hope we get a Don one afterward.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:42 PM   #6
twopinacoladas
Stone Warrior
 
twopinacoladas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 717
Sweet didn't realise it was out yet... come to think of it I cant remember if I finished the Rapheal books... I read the first 2 at least cant remember any thing else. Musta forgot to finish reading them.
twopinacoladas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:00 AM   #7
Cipher
Foot Elite
 
Cipher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,454
I'll have to pick this one up. While it's cool to see a story deal with the introduction of aliens (which has been slightly glossed over), I hope they don't waste the opportunity to do something with Michelangelo first interacting with human society, and his feelings on it. That could be a great character piece for him.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:50 AM   #8
Ninjinister
無問題
 
Ninjinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moesko Island, WA
Posts: 14,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by twopinacoladas View Post
Sweet didn't realise it was out yet... come to think of it I cant remember if I finished the Rapheal books... I read the first 2 at least cant remember any thing else. Musta forgot to finish reading them.
I actually bought a second copy of Bad Moon Rising #3, read through it, and didn't even remember already owning the comic nor reading through it previously, until I went through my collection.
__________________
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:47 PM   #9
PAAATE
Stone Warrior
 
PAAATE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by The S View Post
I actually bought a second copy of Bad Moon Rising #3, read through it, and didn't even remember already owning the comic nor reading through it previously, until I went through my collection.
Mirage Publishing Survival Plan
__________________
I'm a member. I forgot about it, so now I'm a remember.
PAAATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:55 PM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,415
Now that's not fair, PAATE. Mirage Publishing has never made any bones about publishing the comics to make a profit.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:39 AM   #11
PAAATE
Stone Warrior
 
PAAATE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Now that's not fair, PAATE. Mirage Publishing has never made any bones about publishing the comics to make a profit.
I stand corrected
__________________
I'm a member. I forgot about it, so now I'm a remember.
PAAATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:17 PM   #12
soccerstud652
Hench Mutant
 
soccerstud652's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 493
Can this be purchased online?
soccerstud652 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:28 AM   #13
TristanHuwJones
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
TristanHuwJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,419
I'm sure any of the usual online retailers will carry it, as will the official site.
__________________
Still alive (somehow)...
tristansbones.bsky.social
and instagram @ instagram.com/tristans_bones
TristanHuwJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:28 PM   #14
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAAATE View Post
I stand corrected
I wasn't making a joke. I mean Laird has publically stated he publishes the comics because he wants to and enjoys it, not to make uber bucks. I'm sure he'd like to at least regularly crack even and do at least a bit over that, but it isn't always in the cards.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:41 AM   #15
PAAATE
Stone Warrior
 
PAAATE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I mean Laird has publically stated he publishes the comics because he wants to and enjoys it, not to make uber bucks. I'm sure he'd like to at least regularly crack even and do at least a bit over that, but it isn't always in the cards.
That I know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I wasn't making a joke.
That I didn't know.. The way you put it made it funny, I think
__________________
I'm a member. I forgot about it, so now I'm a remember.
PAAATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:56 AM   #16
junkboy
Hench Mutant
 
junkboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Turkey
Posts: 443
My copy arrived from Midtown today and read it.
I really liked it. It looks the series is written in a way that i thought it should be done. ( at least for me )
Eric's inks are perfect at some pages. Tho i really wanna see him with the pencil in future ( near or far... it's not important as that happens )

I am happy that i liked the beginnig of third kind. After Raph's mini-serie i was a bit cautious about this one. ( in fact i liked Raph's, but it was just fun, there needed to be much more )
__________________
junkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:12 AM   #17
odupianist
Mad Scientist
 
odupianist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,744
I finally got it and read it Fri. I hope the focus stays on Mike as best as possible. It's a Michelangelo special, so it should be about Michelangelo.
odupianist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:06 PM   #18
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!
 
VaughnMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 11,833
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Eric Talbot on inks really manages to do worlds with Lawson's pencils here in places (at least noticeably on Michelangelo). Check Page 18.
Really, it doesn't even mention Lawson on the inside but you can tell it's him.
I seriously wish they would stop teaming Talbot and Lawson together they don't compliment each other at all.
The cat screaming at the end was about the best art in this entire issue.
Everything elese looked empty and flat, the comic guy I go to was like wtf is that crap I can draw like that and I can't even draw.
I told him sadly yes this is what they use just about every month for the art, and that I only read them for the story.
I though it was pretty decent but it could have been anyone in Mikey's place.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:17 PM   #19
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaughnMichael View Post
I though it was pretty decent but it could have been anyone in Mikey's place.
Bingo. Here's this great, 4 issue opportunity to focus on Mike, get into his head, and have a bit of fun with him... and we end up not doing any of that. You know?

Though, to be fair, gears could change and that could be rectified in #2 or so. I do like the story... it's just head-scratching that it's not about Mike at all.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:22 PM   #20
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!
 
VaughnMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 11,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Bingo. Here's this great, 4 issue opportunity to focus on Mike, get into his head, and have a bit of fun with him... and we end up not doing any of that. You know?

Though, to be fair, gears could change and that could be rectified in #2 or so. I do like the story... it's just head-scratching that it's not about Mike at all.
Agreed, I'm gonna keep getting them anyway to see how it goes, I don't mind learning more about the aliens coming to earth but they should have just not included Mike's name to the title if it's not going to be all about him.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comic discussion, mini-series


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.