The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2008, 07:28 AM   #1
Anarky
Outlaw Hero
 
Anarky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Tannhauser Gate
Posts: 4,867
Problems on the forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krang View Post
While I agree that it is silly for people to put their own fan characters into places where they don't belong, I think saying the entire forums are in a "sorry state" because of one single thread is blowing things way out of proportion. Besides this one, how many other threads are there in the TMNT-related sections that are about fan characters? Besides the ones you quoted, how many other fan characters were mentioned in this thread? And for that matter, how many people in this thread played along with the fan characters mentioned as opposed to ignoring them? Consider these questions, and maybe you'll begin to see that while you have a valid concern, you're being way too melodramatic about it.
The sorry state doesn't just happen here, this thread was just the one that made me finally say something.

Look at it from my Point of View:
  • General Discussion: Nothing. Practically dead because the core users have either left or just lost interest in it. A couple of nostalgic people still hang around, wondering what on earth happened to this place.
  • RPG Section: A place where all the clowns get to live out their absurd fantasies of self-insertion. Sure, the forum is mostly dead because nobody feels like being the one TMNT among seventy fancharacters that all have Mary Sue traits.
  • Fan Works: Fan works seem to mostly be "Draw April wearing this dress. It is my fetish." these days. It is not a place where you draw Leo vs. Shredder and everyone marvels at you for having drawn Shredder so nicely. Would Shredder be wearing a thong, then yes, it would be awesome. And if you don't have fetish-April, you have fanfictions that are harebrained to the point where you want to hurt the nearest living being.

The solution to this? A first idea would be to just tell the people that they're behaving like complete tools, that they're being so stupid, it hurts. Granted, the internet is a place where stupidity is apparently a sign of some weird degree of quality, but seriously... April as Velma? So just telling the people that they should maybe hold a bit back on inserting themselves into the TMNT everywhere and maybe should not pester us with their fetishes, would probably help this a lot.

Look, I love this place like the next guy, I've been here forever and I will probably never leave. Fact is, I love this place, whether I like it or not. And before I see this place being completely overrun by fancharacters and absurd sexual fantasies, I will at least try to fix it. And this is me starting.
Anarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:29 AM   #2
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 22,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar_Raph View Post
On the bright side, this marks my 200th post.
I don't think anyone cares about THAT either. People who brag they post that number of times (which isnt even a big number) are quite ridiculous to think it's some kind of accomplishment.

Anarky, I agree with you on some issues you raise, but we're better off than a lot of other fandoms that have gone down the toilet. The Power Rangers fanbase barely discusses the show at all anymore, and DW has become as politically diseased as it was when JNT was producer.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:34 AM   #3
Evenstar227
Stone Warrior
 
Evenstar227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: 42 Burr Hill Rd
Posts: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
I don't think anyone cares about THAT either. People who brag they post that number of times (which isnt even a big number compared to others) is quite ridiculous
So says the member with 5,987 posts. For us newer members, though, it's exciting! Nothing like hitting a benchmark number.

<< 250th!!
__________________

In the beginning...
Evenstar227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:53 AM   #4
Cure
Y'all need Jesus
 
Cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar227 View Post
So says the member with 5,987 posts. For us newer members, though, it's exciting! Nothing like hitting a benchmark number.

<< 250th!!
Look at Guitar Raph's join date before you go calling him new...
__________________
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:59 AM   #5
Ninjinister
無問題
 
Ninjinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moesko Island, WA
Posts: 14,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCure View Post
Look at Guitar Raph's join date before you go calling him new...
Wow, I didn't realize that he's been here longer than anyone who's posted in this topic, excluding Krang. And I thought it took me forever to reach 1500 posts.
__________________
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:06 AM   #6
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 22,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar227 View Post
So says the member with 5,987 posts.
Which I dont brag about. I didnt follow that cliched fad when it was popular and a glorified method of spam when I was a noobie, and I definatly won't start now. It's pathetic.

Quote:
[For us newer members, though, it's exciting! Nothing like hitting a benchmark number.
It's a puny, insignifcant number, and boasting about it reflects personal insecurity. Get over yourselves please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The S View Post
Wow, I didn't realize that he's been here longer than anyone who's posted in this topic, excluding Krang. And I thought it took me forever to reach 1500 posts.
I think we should judge members on what they bring to the table, not how long they've been here or how many posts they make.

Someone has just fifty posts, yet posts informative essays on the TMNT? Yeah, that's worth respect. Boasting of having 200 posts yet really spend most of them expressing which Turtle is better than say...Superman or somethingt or saying "Yeah, great episode" with no real construction to it isnt a big deal or a sign of senior authenticity
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:10 AM   #7
Anarky
Outlaw Hero
 
Anarky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Tannhauser Gate
Posts: 4,867
Could we please stop bickering about postcounts? There are more important things to worry about. And I believe that if we all work together, we can do it. We can get a community that is both friendly and not filled with absurdity.
Anarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:23 AM   #8
Ninjinister
無問題
 
Ninjinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moesko Island, WA
Posts: 14,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Which I dont brag about. I didnt follow that cliched fad when it was popular and a glorified method of spam when I was a noobie, and I definatly won't start now. It's pathetic.



It's a puny, insignifcant number, and boasting about it reflects personal insecurity. Get over yourselves please.



I think we should judge members on what they bring to the table, not how long they've been here or how many posts they make.

Someone has just fifty posts, yet posts informative essays on the TMNT? Yeah, that's worth respect. Boasting of having 200 posts yet really spend most of them expressing which Turtle is better than say...Superman or somethingt or saying "Yeah, great episode" with no real construction to it isnt a big deal or a sign of senior authenticity
__________________
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:55 PM   #9
Evenstar227
Stone Warrior
 
Evenstar227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: 42 Burr Hill Rd
Posts: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCure View Post
Look at Guitar Raph's join date before you go calling him new...
Oops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Which I dont brag about. I didnt follow that cliched fad when it was popular and a glorified method of spam when I was a noobie, and I definatly won't start now. It's pathetic.
Guitar_Raph was not spamming, he was making a reply which included the mention of a 200th post. Considering that many members here have post counts well into the thousands, it's really not bragging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
It's a puny, insignifcant number, and boasting about it reflects personal insecurity. Get over yourselves please.
Again, not bragging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
I think we should judge members on what they bring to the table, not how long they've been here or how many posts they make.
Why are you judging at all? We're here to talk about TMNT. Unless someone is being intentionally hostile or disruptive, no one deserves to get dumped on. You don't like someone's posts? Don't read them.
__________________

In the beginning...
Evenstar227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:00 PM   #10
Guitar_Raph
Superhero musician
 
Guitar_Raph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 2,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by The S View Post
True, I joined back in 2003. But somehow forgot all about it for 5 years. Then I finally found this forum & started posting.

So what if I boast about my posts, only do it by multiples of 50.
Guitar_Raph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:00 PM   #11
KROW
Meat-n-Potatoes Man
 
KROW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: State's Anus, NY
Posts: 6,472
I don't see the problem here. The General section is more lively than the RPG, and the Fan Works has been having more serious offerings lately. Just because one or two members ruffle the feathers doesn't mean the whole forum's going to hell.

So what if they're behavior isn't what you'd call normal? Does everything have to be organized and uniform? Sounds uninteresting. This one makes weird topics in the RPG section. Then don't click into it. This one uses big ass font and colors it. So? It's a feature on the goddamn board, why can't it be utilized? Hey, this person said it's their 100th or whatever post. Let's persecute him/her for that statement because it makes us feel better about ourselves. You wanna talk about pathetic, nit-picking others quirks/intricacies/preferences on a message board seems more in tune with that category than the targeted people themselves.

Get the bug out of your collective asses and move on with your life.
__________________

- Optimus Acid Trip - Cult of a Half-Shell - Raiden's Bitter Tongue -
I don't try to be funny; I fail at it naturally.
KROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:06 PM   #12
Anarky
Outlaw Hero
 
Anarky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Tannhauser Gate
Posts: 4,867
Krow: Define "lately" and "serious."

Also, I am not against uniformity and you know it. I don't think you're stupid, so I think you know what I am talking about. What I am against is idiocy, stupidity displayed openly, posting without a thought behind it. And that's been happening forever, I know, but not to levels this extreme. Sure, you had one or two nutjobs who weren't quite able to at least pretend they're not complete hacks (may I remind you of our very own TMNT-bondage fairies? Or more recent, Superturtle?), but these days, all we hear is Fancharacter this and Trombone that. Everywhere. If you put out a series of fanfics with the TMNT as clerks at Walmart, that is fine, but don't go into episode-threads and say "Hah, that's what Mikey must've thought on his Friday Night shift."

It might be worth pointing out that not everything is about your yellow writing, so don't get kittens over it. Or Guitar Raph's godknowswhat-font. And while I'm all for removal of that particular board feature, I can live with people who must show their individuality beyond the content of their posts.

And in the RPG section, they're actually wondering why nobody feels like playing anymore. Don't tell me you've missed that.

Also, I have nothing against celebrating posts.
Anarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:14 PM   #13
Hannah
Once more, with feeling!
 
Hannah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,111
I officially became disconnected from this board when I was told we can't make fun of furries.
__________________
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:23 PM   #14
Jon
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,356
I have to agree with what you quoted from Krang to start this thread with. You're being too high-strung about things.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:32 PM   #15
Archon_Turtle
I'm SUPER into myself
 
Archon_Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,667
Us folk in the Toys forum...are...awesome
Archon_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:35 PM   #16
KROW
Meat-n-Potatoes Man
 
KROW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: State's Anus, NY
Posts: 6,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarky View Post
Krow: Define "lately" and "serious."

Also, I am not against uniformity and you know it. I don't think you're stupid, so I think you know what I am talking about. What I am against is idiocy, stupidity displayed openly, posting without a thought behind it. And that's been happening forever, I know, but not to levels this extreme. Sure, you had one or two nutjobs who weren't quite able to at least pretend they're not complete hacks (may I remind you of our very own TMNT-bondage fairies? Or more recent, Superturtle?), but these days, all we hear is Fancharacter this and Trombone that. Everywhere. If you put out a series of fanfics with the TMNT as clerks at Walmart, that is fine, but don't go into episode-threads and say "Hah, that's what Mikey must've thought on his Friday Night shift."

It might be worth pointing out that not everything is about your yellow writing, so don't get kittens over it. Or Guitar Raph's godknowswhat-font. And while I'm all for removal of that particular board feature, I can live with people who must show their individuality beyond the content of their posts.

And in the RPG section, they're actually wondering why nobody feels like playing anymore. Don't tell me you've missed that.

Also, I have nothing against celebrating posts.
I mean, "lately" as in, "last month" and, "serious," as in, "practical." I really don't see anything horrid. What's so bad about April in different outfits? She's not hogtied, overdeveloped, or looking like some sort of weaboo or something, so where's the bad element here?

Also, I don't have to tell you that I was generalizing with my post. I don't think you're stupid, either.

I know how tolerant you are, but concerning the font issue (and I know it's not just about mine), if you're so tolerant, why are you bringing it up most of the time? I can see if someone used size "7" constantly, but boldface and a bit larger? So what? If you can live with it, then don't voice the ill-will you harbor for it.

And no, I haven't missed the RPG-situation, as I've posted in that particular topic myself. I usually don't bother with RPG section anymore. You probably shouldn't either if it bothers you.

But, yes, I do agree that when RPG elements and what-not creep into normal discussion, it shouldn't be there. However, I would hardly deem this a forum apocalypse of some kind.
__________________

- Optimus Acid Trip - Cult of a Half-Shell - Raiden's Bitter Tongue -
I don't try to be funny; I fail at it naturally.
KROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:05 PM   #17
Cipher
Foot Elite
 
Cipher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,454
Um, I'm a new member. I don't give a flying fiddle-stick about post count, and while I wish the TMNT sections would be a little more active (since, you know, I primarily joined this board to talk about TMNT), it's no big deal (and probably best that it doesn't eat up too much of my time). I have also found that many of the forum's stupid or irrelevant posts can be solved simply by ignoring them.

Just throwing in my two cents.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:54 PM   #18
Machias Banshee
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 17,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
I officially became disconnected from this board when I was told we can't make fun of furries.
Poking fun and wishing a horrible death on someone are two different things, hun...



As for the forum and where the activities are, it always migrates over time. the RPG section used to be THE section with the most activity, and then it was the GD, and then it was the new movie section. It all depends on what's going on in the fandom at the time.

The one thing the forum could do without is a lot of the hostility and backbiting. For the most part, it's fine... it's just a few people that do that.

Other than that, the forum's just chugging along as usual...
Machias Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:57 PM   #19
愛
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarky
blah blah blah
Says the guy who left the forums for a year, only to come back and complain about the "sad state of the forums."

Not every core member left because of people being stupid. You know, sometimes people go outside, or go to school, or join a cult. I dunno. Real life happens, and you have to take a break. I post whenever I feel like contributing, but due to lots of school work, managing clubs and doing more than just sit around, I don't have much time these days. It happens, and I don't blame anyone for it.

As for the TMNT section, I can't comment on because I never go in there. That place is pretty crazy, and way out of my league. With my limited knowledge of TMNT, I just can't relate to the fandom. It's great to have a hobby, but some go way too far with it.

Anyway, yeah, people are gone, but there's more people joining. We could try and make them feel more welcome, and maybe we'll find new core members.
愛 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:03 PM   #20
NameGoesHere1066
Stone Warrior
 
NameGoesHere1066's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: at home LOL
Posts: 957
uh...as some one who had requested a few April drawings in diffrent outfits I have to say none of them where in the least my way of getting off on some sexual fantasies.
__________________
]
NameGoesHere1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.